Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
From the NYT review my guess as to a summary of the book is "China! China! Sky is falling!" except with an apathetic tone so let me know if I'm right later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Where got?!? KL got nice food.
Busting out the hardcore local slang there.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Not enough lah.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

so shiok

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Not sure if serious: http://www.samuitimes.com/tough-new-crackdown-alcohol-promotions-thailand/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I guess it's possible that could see some enforcement in high profile locations, but I seriously doubt it. ThaiBev and Boonrawd are two of the most powerful companies (and the controlling families two of the most powerful families) in the country. It's incredibly unlikely anything happens to harm their interests. All this stuff has been on the book like they point out for years. They enforce some of it a bit, but it's mostly ignored.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I guess it's possible that could see some enforcement in high profile locations, but I seriously doubt it. ThaiBev and Boonrawd are two of the most powerful companies (and the controlling families two of the most powerful families) in the country. It's incredibly unlikely anything happens to harm their interests. All this stuff has been on the book like they point out for years. They enforce some of it a bit, but it's mostly ignored.
Yeah exactly, I mean banning happy hours and Chang beer girls? Not gonna happen.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Beer girls :qq:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Didn't get invited to the line chat gently caress everyone

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Domo arigato putos!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

You guys mean nothing to me etc

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Did you post an ID?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ya last page also not upset aaaaa

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

Ya last page also not upset aaaaa
ID no got public. Can not add lah.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

ID no got public. Can not add lah.

Add me too, I'm gonna go back to SEA one of these days: manu_manu

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Vietnam add CAN NOT. BAD PEEPUN. SATEEL EBBYSING.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Vietnam extradite ALL LADYBOYS IN REPRISAL.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
C'est un(e!!!) travesti!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
We say "travelo" in French, it's funnier and gender neutral. TIL!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

ReindeerF posted:

C'est un(e!!!) travesti!

Zing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

We say "travelo" in French, it's funnier and gender neutral. TIL!
You speak like redneck French you Quebecois peasant!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

You speak like redneck French you Quebecois peasant!

At least I don't speak like a France snobby fag!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

At least I don't speak like a France snobby fag!
Putain de merde!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn't get invited to any LINE stuff either. No friends q.q

(I didn't realize you had to set user ID separately from display name. "chantillysay" )

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Right, Id set to public etc pls try

Helloitskru

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
This might be the wrong place to ask but figured I'd give it a shot. We're almost 2 months into our trip around SEA and my gf is running low on money. We're trying to make it one more month, and we're currently traveling through Vietnam and probably heading to Cambodia next. I have enough money to mostly support us but it's gonna be really tight. Do you guys have any ideas for how she can make a little money along the way without a huge commitment, either in person or online?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

[BARGIRLS HATE HER] Find out how this young traveller made 100$/day with just this simple trick

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

retpocileh posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask but figured I'd give it a shot. We're almost 2 months into our trip around SEA and my gf is running low on money. We're trying to make it one more month, and we're currently traveling through Vietnam and probably heading to Cambodia next. I have enough money to mostly support us but it's gonna be really tight. Do you guys have any ideas for how she can make a little money along the way without a huge commitment, either in person or online?

Here's someone's chance to knock one out of the park! Come on thread nadir, I'm rooting for ya!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

retpocileh posted:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axS9HtFtjQ

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

retpocileh posted:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can try Dave's ESL cafe and illegally teach odd English jobs here and there. Look for English camps which lasts for a week or 2.

How much money do you guys need?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

This thread will die because everybody is posting animes on LINE ;(

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

retpocileh posted:

There is one bar in SR looking for a western bartender, they have taken people on for <1 month before. Typically we're talking $10/night plus tips which is miniscule but its piss easy. It's an expat bar but not sleazy. Is she western and, er, reasonably pretty? The guy leaving leaves this weekend so you'd need to be here sharpish and they might want to replace a guy with a guy. I'll ask the boss tonight and let you know what he says if you're interested.

My flatmate works at one school and my girlfriend (not actually my girlfriend) works at another. They both say a lot of teachers are leaving so she might get some part time work there. You're looking at $5/hour without a TEFL.

These may be bigger commitments than you're looking for but I can think of worse places to spend a month than SR. Opportunities to make money on a per day basis are non-existent and it's low season so the bars are quiet, so not much work there. You could try some travel blogging but you won't get paid until well over a month from now and it's hardly worth it for the money anyway.

Really though the best thing to do when trying not to spend too much is to lower your accommodation standards. If you're staying in $15 rooms downgrade to $10 rooms and there's an extra five bucks, which doesn't sound like much but is $150 over a month. Stay in SR for a month and you could get a room share for $100 between you, only $3.33/day.

If you're already slumming it in dorms this may not apply though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

duckmaster posted:

My flatmate works at one school and my girlfriend (not actually my girlfriend) works at another. They both say a lot of teachers are leaving so she might get some part time work there. You're looking at $5/hour without a TEFL.

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: How loving broke do you have to be, settling for $5 USD an hour? We almost had a China goon settling for a 2000 RMB / month job. Which worked out to be 11 RMB / hour or $1.84/hr.

Man living and getting used to SEA makes traveling elsewhere hard. Everywhere else is too expensive :iamafag:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

retpocileh posted:

Ever watched Banged up Abroad (Locked up Abroad in the USA)? Tons of good ideas there.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

caberham posted:

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: How loving broke do you have to be, settling for $5 USD an hour? We almost had a China goon settling for a 2000 RMB / month job. Which worked out to be 11 RMB / hour or $1.84/hr.

Man living and getting used to SEA makes traveling elsewhere hard. Everywhere else is too expensive :iamafag:

This is $5/hour cash in hand at the end of the week and they'll look pleasantly surprised when you bother to turn up again on Monday. It's glorified babysitting with no paperwork and lesson plans consist of no more than "today I'm going to teach them about shapes".

These aren't proper jobs, it's under-the-table-at-your-own-risk "work" which is useful if you want a few hundred bucks for little effort and don't want to sign a contract. Which I think is what retpocileh was asking for :confused:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pilsner posted:

Ever watched Banged up Abroad (Locked up Abroad in the USA)? Tons of good ideas there.

Banged Up Abroad was already the thread's suggestion.

Anyway, here's the thing to recognize: you look way more trustworthy than anyone else. Go hang out by the airport, look for some confused-looking white tourists, and cheerfully offer to show them around for the low price of ($$$$$$$)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

caberham posted:

Yeah, that's crazy. $13 USD for a six-pack of average local beer is quite a shock.