Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

PotatoManJack posted:

Also, really wish that they had an in game display of what buildings lead to what enhancements / units / other buildings as it's kinda hard to look at the longer term planning of the city without referencing a wiki.

There is. There's a small button in the bottom left corner of the city screen beneath the list of buildings that opens up a menu showing the city's race's tech tree. There's a complete list of what building opens up what, including units, promotions, and upgrades, and near the bottom there's a list of what buildings can be built on each special resource. It doesn't explain exactly what each promotion does, just displays their name, but for everything else it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

kvx687 posted:

There is. There's a small button in the bottom left corner of the city screen beneath the list of buildings that opens up a menu showing the city's race's tech tree. There's a complete list of what building opens up what, including units, promotions, and upgrades, and near the bottom there's a list of what buildings can be built on each special resource. It doesn't explain exactly what each promotion does, just displays their name, but for everything else it works just fine.

Wow, hadn't seen that - Thanks for the heads up!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I truly appreciate all the praises I get, so keep 'em commin', I guess. I also started thinking about what LP I could possibly do after this. Fallout Tactics, maybe?

Chapter 16: The Newly Dead

King Lich furrowed his phantom brow

“I remember capturing you... and you going to fight the United one”

“Those are things that happened, yes”

“I guess this means war, again”

“Oh, no, no no no! You had the full right to defeat me. I was a terrible Great Mage and my conduct was unbefiting of a member of the Circle”

King Lich thought back to Miralbus the Hat and Sol de Torvega...

“Well...”

“Really, I should have known better. And you proved yourself to be a better people of my men that I ever was, so...”

“Truce?”

“Well, if I let Krel get away with that... sure, truce”

“Yaaar... Load up... the mother-in-law! Time... time to stink up the place!”

Sometimes, there is not time to get boats into place, to load up the troops and ship them where they are needed. And teleportation spells might be out of reach.

In that case, a water walking spell is necessary. Casting it lets troop walk on rivers, lakes and seas like on gently springing ground.

Trouble is that stormy seas and great waves tend to tire them out due to all the walking.

“Come, servants of light, drive these demons back! For helia!”

“Another city? This plane is lousy with goblins... and ogres”

“Regardless... we must press on! Forward, Svarts!”

Markar was resting his head after a day of wrestling that culminated in a well deserved feast. So he was understandably irate when someone kicked the door of the mead hall open.

A shout rang out:

“Death to the servans of the usurper!”

It was met by silence. Silence and angry glares of hungover barbarians.

The rebels didn't achieve much that night.

“Attacking a city devoted to Krolm... don't you see the madness, my people?”

“Aye, no Svart worth his axe would be that stupid”

“You see? The rabbleraisers think you all simple and dumb, easily lead sheep!”

“Exactly. Ol' Bones might be strange and a tad muderous, but he doesn't think us stupid. Think about that”

“Yes, think about it. Because if you don't, you might end up attacking his tower in Lichgrad during a lightning storm”

Wolves of Helia beset by demons and dragons by all sides, died stoically as only someone who has had his humanity burned out by divine light could.

In fact, some of them bore serene smiles: they knew that their mundane master would return them to the fight soon enough.

Plaguedell wasn't a big city to begin with (the disease that gave it name also helped), and, as such, was lightly defended. The ogres had sacked it before, crushing the walls with their mighty tree trunk clubs. Now, the Elite Guard hacked their way through the barricades that filed the gaps.

“Phew! This place reeks! What do with it?”

“'Burn it down' is the word, that's what we'll do”

“Whoa, no more swamps and jungles? Bugger off, mosquitoes!”

Mosquitoes, dejected and defeated, slunk back to their marshes.

King Lich wasn't just preparing lands for settlement: he was also preparing for ruling said settlements. Barons and baronies would be created, baronets established (nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing) and a secret counsel of Svarts was established to look out for evil barons.

"Ghosts are completely useless creatures. And if that were not enough, they take advantage of their incorporeal nature, and play tricks of dubious nature, which often strain the laws of decency. One must admit, however, that ghosts remain excellent soldiers in the army of the undead." - From "Necrarium Tomeus" by Necromaster Barbaross the Deceased.

“What is this? An enemy I can't cut with an axe? Preposterous!”

“How many ogres are there? Is this some elemental plane of ogres? I'm feeling like a lumber jack... but trees don't bleed and only occasionally try to kill you”

Rainbow dragon continued his rampage through the countryside, robbing graves and sacking crypts.

“I wish we met on better circumstances, but the realm never lets one sit idle. And if you try and sit idle, someone who doesn't will make use of it”

"To create a skeleton sniper requires both mastery and patience. First, one must create an oculus visum from rock crystal, one for each sniper. Then one must strengthen the arms with 'live' leather, and the neck with rods of nevril. Due to the high cost of these materials, I recommend that novice necromancers should first train on wooden dummies." - From "Necrarium Tomeus" by Necromaster Barbaross the Deceased.

This raid on a crypt was different. Usually, all that was left would be broken tomb stones, skulls scattered in the wind and faint clatter of gold coins and laughter of a dragon.
This time there was also company of skeleton marksmen, eyeholing the dragon expectedly.

“Now what am I supposed to do with you lot?”

“Well, that was unexpected and silly. Hope that doesn't happen again”

It totally can happen again, a few times even. It's horrible

“Lichanium, mylord?”

“I have great plans for it, great plans indeed”

Wolves of Helia might be immune to the elements and enchantments, but not to teleportation. This let them be redeployed a lot faster. And that was something they really liked.

One day, the greatest farmers of the land gathered for a great grain vault dance near Lichgrad. After a lot of stomping that passed for Svart dancing, drinking began. And with drinking – stories of farm life and agriculture, punctuated by gouts of vomiting.

King Lich VI, invited as an honor guest, stayed sober and recorded some of the best stories and warnings and published it as a book on agriculture.

New Garuda, another town filled with goblins, was also burned to the ground.

In retaliation, imitation or just ire, a red dragon tried to burn Fort Gobbo. It was better built than Garuda, and had the benefit of being constructed out of damp logs, so it didn't burn so well.

Sir Hugue marched to something that could be called a 'rescue' if anyone ever tried to rescue goblins.

Ice Ring was a strange spell that was created as a protective measure for kidnapping prone princesses and daughters, as well as sons of the more... bard-like inclinations. When triggered, it would freeze everyone around the would be victim.

While this froze innocent servants on occasions, it would only become a problem with romantic stablehands, as frozen steeds are harder to replace.

“Wait, this place seems familiar”

“Fervus drat it!”

“And there's demons,too”

"Imps are small, pushy servants of Hell. They are cunning, cruel -- and can be quite persuasive." - From the collected works of His Majesty's Advisor

"Demons are a stronger and more abominable version of their impish kinsmen. They have little interest in mere mischief, but rather prefer genuine terror and total mayhem." - From the collected works of His Majesty's Advisor

“What's next, Tormetors? There's still the south east portion of that dead realm unexplored... and probably less painful”

"Note to self: never cross an Elder Vampire, even if it means you'll have to become a vampire yourself and take a dead witch for a wife."- A note in the margins of "Necarium Tomeus", presumably by Necromaster Barbaross the Deceased.

“Vampires? Better transport them to fight ogres. Not much blood in zombies and skeletons. Maybe I'll have a talk with them afterwards”

Cecinia the Saint had accomplished a new thing. Reading the lines of magic, she could predict where the elements would strike. This, however, was a very rapid premonition, way too quick for her to react. But then she wove an intricate tapestry of magic and spells that would protect those around her from such ravages, even if a little bit.

This was useless, because she was teleported to Ashwind Dale to aid the Wolves with her spells, and Wolves had ample protection from the elemets.

Cecinia didn't, so King Lich layered protective enchantments on her, finishing with a spell of invisibility.

This was somewhat detrimental to the land, however.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH”

The barbarian woman looked sad.

“It's customary to kick someone over when we make entry”

“Please don't. Maybe I'll get some goblins for the next. So, what can I do for the Fahther Of All Men?”

“Lord Krolm wants to test your dedication. You have to destroy another band of Archers of Grum-Gog...”

“Well, that's easy”

“...in Ashwind Dale”

“Now that is more challenging”

Some people stipulated that Ordained Shamans were so dirty, they fouled up the magic they casted and all that fertile dirt translated into life magic.

“Dukes usually are not as evil as barons or counts, but you still have to keep close eye on them, especially if they're advisors or really ambitious...”

The dragon was immensely surprised by the soul searing bolts of magic that came out of nowhere, but didn't really have any ideas on how to deal with that. So he continued to pester the Wolves.

“And who might you be, miss...?”

“Mallacir. A pleasure to meet you!”

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

What exactly is New Garuta building here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JcDent posted:

“Dukes usually are not as evil as barons or counts, but you still have to keep close eye on them, especially if they're advisors or really ambitious...”

After hundreds of hours of playing CK2, I can say that this statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyway, a new Great Mage! And one we didn't meet in the first game. Where are Ameron and this lady? Can you exchange maps per diplomacy?

It's cool that two shards can have portals to the same shard, even if it's a hellhole. Is this a dead end or could there be a third portal in the fog?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
King Lich is rather cordial and polite for an undead. (Unless you prove untrustworthy) I'm sure having it in response is better than the usual torch and pitchfork waving.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Drakenel posted:

King Lich is rather cordial and polite for an undead. (Unless you prove untrustworthy)

When you get round to your sixth immortality it's just such an effort to remain so very evil all the time- there's nothing wrong with a little lawful neutral to change things up a little.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Plus he's enjoying his (mostly) goblin free holiday.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Torrannor posted:

It's cool that two shards can have portals to the same shard, even if it's a hellhole. Is this a dead end or could there be a third portal in the fog?

Dead-end shards can happen, but every shard is connected to every other shard somehow, there will never be a shard that is cut-off and unable to be accessed. Somewhere there is a portal that is progress.

Said portal may, however, be in the hell world.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Torrannor posted:

After hundreds of hours of playing CK2, I can say that this statement couldn't be further from the truth.

30-150% of the power of a king and non of the responsibility, its like a license to be a giant rear end in a top hat and steal power for yourself, never trust a duke with anything close to actual power.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Okay, this thread is quickly selling me on Warlock two, but only of they removed that ridiculous -20% penalty to cities that weren't the race you started with. Is that still in?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

King Doom posted:

Okay, this thread is quickly selling me on Warlock two, but only of they removed that ridiculous -20% penalty to cities that weren't the race you started with. Is that still in?

If you're really against it, go into the Editor and add a new Great Mage trait with the unused 'Internationalist' modifiers - it counters the penalty.

From the main menu: Editor > Create > enter a name (I use 'internationalist mod') > Improvements > Create > Archmage (can pick any that give a trait) > enter a name (I use 'Internationalist') > click drop-down arrow next to 'perk of a great mage' > choose Internationalist from the list > change cost to 0 > close out to the main menu > click on 'Mods' in the top-left corner > check the box next to the mod you just made.

Then customize your Great Mage when you start a game to have that trait.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Started a svarts game over the weekend and am having a blast now that I know about the city planner bit. Rune Witches are dynamite.

What I find though is that a lucky strong unit drop early can really propel you all the way to the late game. I got some "Old Trolls" early on, and have buffed them to the nines, and they have been unstoppable. Their regen and high HP pool makes them nigh unkillable by early shard enemies and other wizards.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

PotatoManJack posted:

What I find though is that a lucky strong unit drop early can really propel you all the way to the late game. I got some "Old Trolls" early on, and have buffed them to the nines, and they have been unstoppable. Their regen and high HP pool makes them nigh unkillable by early shard enemies and other wizards.

Yeah, in a multiplayer game, people would rage so hard over the guy who got two trolls and a werewolf, when they just got some gold and a piece of jewelry.
I'm not entirely sure how the probability works, actually; I've never had two trolls at once (without making any myself, that is), but in my three games I've gotten a troll once in each.
It might just be a coincidence, but if I was going to make a game like this, I'd limit the 'chance factor' by trying to spread out the troll-gets with bonuses/penalties depending on the situation.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

aerion111 posted:

Yeah, in a multiplayer game, people would rage so hard over the guy who got two trolls and a werewolf, when they just got some gold and a piece of jewelry.
I'm not entirely sure how the probability works, actually; I've never had two trolls at once (without making any myself, that is), but in my three games I've gotten a troll once in each.
It might just be a coincidence, but if I was going to make a game like this, I'd limit the 'chance factor' by trying to spread out the troll-gets with bonuses/penalties depending on the situation.

Yeah, it seems like they assume that the gold/food costs are a way to try and balance it, but having a 75hp high regen and damage unit when everyone else is running around with 20hp base units is a bit crazy. Sure, they eat a ton, but it's nothing that build a couple of emergency farms can't take care of.

Still a great game though, and the progression through shards is so much fun!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Tehan posted:

If you're really against it, go into the Editor and add a new Great Mage trait with the unused 'Internationalist' modifiers - it counters the penalty.

From the main menu: Editor > Create > enter a name (I use 'internationalist mod') > Improvements > Create > Archmage (can pick any that give a trait) > enter a name (I use 'Internationalist') > click drop-down arrow next to 'perk of a great mage' > choose Internationalist from the list > change cost to 0 > close out to the main menu > click on 'Mods' in the top-left corner > check the box next to the mod you just made.

Then customize your Great Mage when you start a game to have that trait.

Just to be certain, this is for Warlock 2, right?

Edit: and can you get th DLC for it through Steam, or do you need to use the in game store?

King Doom fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 8, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Steam works fine for DLC in both the Warlock series and Majesty 2, that's where I got all of mine.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, Fallout Tactics would be nice, I could never really get into it and it hasn't been dead yet.

Draugaborg would be 'Ghost City', btw, if you wanna make undead ones. Also, can you retake free cities?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. How many actual cities are available to you now? Four more? Or have you built some and I didn't notice?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

King Doom posted:

Just to be certain, this is for Warlock 2, right?

Yep.

King Doom posted:

Edit: and can you get th DLC for it through Steam, or do you need to use the in game store?

There's one bit of DLC on Steam so far which is the 'Great Mage edition' of the game, which lets you play as :smaug: and has some new spells and lords and lets you start in a death world. There's also some things you can buy in the in-game store that let you start in an elemental or Dremer world, as well as a new Svart Great Mage and some Dauros-themed and Death-themed spells.

I haven't got the in-game store DLC, it doesn't seem like it's worth the ten bucks or so it adds up to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The in-game store also has 2 alternate advisor voices for free atm.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A Fallout Tactics play-through would be awesome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Or a Majesty 2 LP.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Or a Majesty 2 LP.
Nobody should do that to themselves.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Someone did try earlier, but it didn't finish.

The game ain't horrible, but a lot of it's humour is in the voicework(So it'd want to be video), at the same time as the game is long(Hard to come up with subjects to talk on) and tricky(A lot of re-dos are in your future, especially as the campaigns go on).

Which is a shame, because the game's worth showing off.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 11, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

No Majesty 2, not again, nooooo!

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (of however the punctuation goes) would be screenshots, since the last time I played it (8 years ago?) it was save scumming for the glory of the infantry.

Also, I'm back and I'll try to do one tomorrow!

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Looking forward to the update and your future LP!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Bloodly posted:

Someone did try earlier, but it didn't finish.

The game ain't horrible, but a lot of it's humour is in the voicework(So it'd want to be video), at the same time as the game is long(Hard to come up with subjects to talk on) and tricky(A lot of re-dos are in your future, especially as the campaigns go on).

Which is a shame, because the game's worth showing off.

Yeah, I had been considering how it could be LP'd and reached the same conclusion. Though doing a screenshot LP of the first one is possible since Cyberlore put a bunch of the voicework online. Other problem is that maps tend to follow something of a predictable pattern of development once you've accounted for the mission's gimmick, so while it's fun to play it can get a little boring to watch people go basic economy->basic heroes->expanded economy->advanced heroes->leveling and equipping heroes->point them at the problem. Also Majesty 2 boss fights are pretty drat dull, since it's just "get some tanks and some healers, then chip away at the boss' health until it lets off a knockback AoE at 25%, then reposition and continue."

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You left out the first step of 'restart five or six times until the RNG actually allows you to recruit heroes before it buries you under rats/trolls/minotaurs/dragons'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I was gonna say stuff about strategy and hindsight and etc, because that's what I felt as I've been getting back into Majesty 2, bouncing aound the campaigns.

Then I tried the King Rat mission in baseline Maj2.

As such I fully agree with you.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 11, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Majesty 1 didn't really have strategy so much as spam heroes while you desperately tried to gear up so they survived beyond level 3, so I guess it's par for the course.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tried Age of Wonders III. Writing and facial designs aside, it seems a fun, if unforgiving game. The fact that, depending on movement, an archer unit might fire three times, as well as taking into account the retaliation mechanics, your units can get wiped pretty fast. Then again, most of them seem to only gain levels, and not abilities or transform into better units, so that's something, I guess. Seeing boars charge into castle gates is hilarious while teleporting elven unicorn cavalry is a fun (scary, even) idea that's a huge gently caress YOU to castles.

Hope somebody will do Endless Legend LP once it's fully out. Like with many 4x games, I find it more fun as an LP (especially if done in the vein of GalCiv II and Jagged Alliance II LPs) than as game itself. Plus, I guess with forum SA-nsibilities, magic that's literally misunderstood tech would probably go really well.

Fallout downloaded, will see if GOG put enough effort into it to make it work. I really appreciate what they did with the series when it was supposed to be removed from the site.

Chapter 17: Rolling Thunder

“I am...”

“...a lady of somewhat suspect upbringing, claiming the undead as her birthright. Unfortunately, we are at war”

“One day, someone needs to get a sage to explain this whole 'mage communication' thing. But at the present... at war?”

“Amberon wasn't as kind as to share a plane with the lady, so I had to do something. Coulnd't allow myself to get boxed in dreary small shard. I have claims to enforce, balls to attend...”

“...cities to flood with undead masses. Luckily enough, my elves didn't forget their martial trade in my absence. And the shard we clashed on isn't really suited for skeletons and zombies. Lands of life have a detrimental effect, even without the rampant wines”

“I hope this doesn't turn out into an another Miralbus-Sol affair”

“Oh, I think it's going quite well. I even have a fotress to secure my bridgehead”

“Terrible state of affairs, to be fighting in the face of a greater common threat – I now know better than that!”

“I hope you do. I see your lands have suffered Espritster's attentions, too”

“Mmm, yes, that is what happened. A terrible calamity, spawned worship of the Krypta aspect. I have enough favor to raise armies upon armies of skeletons, but I see no need”

"This machine is a real flying fortress which has everything you need to establish and maintain Order of Dauros on vast uncharted territories. It includes a stronghold of Order, correctional hotel, temple of Dauros and, of course, powerful and lethal armament."

(from "Chronicles of New Worlds" written by Master Vardies Teleran)

“By the way, would you happen to know anything about some of your subjects flying away in a huge metal ship? It is quite impressive, the floating ziggurat, even if the propulsion system seems a little... primitive in comparison to elven ship”

“Haven't seen anything of the sort. All of my Svarts are groundpounders, so to speak. Axes and runes are all they bring to the battlefield. The machinery does wonders back home, though”

“I suspected as much. The ship doesn't fly any banners and doesn't seem to be doing anything much. So odd”

“Very well. If it pleases you, you may establish embassies and offices in Lichwald. The name is fitting, even if it's coincidental. It used to be Mallacir's outpost on the shard. She does try to take it back, but I'm sure your envoys will be safe”

“I'll make diplomatic arrangements, just to be sure”

“Oh, please do. This isn't your war in any way”

“Yes, I am quite capable of handling the elf myself”

“Unfortunately, Elspritster's haphazard spell shooting made for some unpleasant terrain... sometimes strategically so”

King Lich didn't really want to answer that, especially when he had to deal with a realm that was half lava, half terrible demons.

...and now, part gold dragon bones, too.

Somehow, Ashwind Dale made a world where ground oozed death and spectres flew about clawing faces and harmlessly passing through axes a more desirable assigment.

“Some more time in these undead marshes and I'll get undead marsh foot”

“Careful! If they cut it off, it might reanimate itself. Happened to a spoiled chicken I threw out yesterday”

“I'd say that it's still better than the dead faces in the water”

When Lichanium was built near the first temple grounds to be found, it was a foregone conclusion that a temple to Krolm would rise there. Anyone who didn't think so were persuaded by giant axes and bulging bicepses.

As soon as the word was given, barbarians started collecting bones and skins of fierce beasts, as well hard rocks to build the temple. Some even hunted demonwood, the most evil and likely to kill you source of wood. After that, there was much feasting and drinking.

A week passed, and barbarians got to work, easily shifting massive boulders around, lifting logs while grunting and hammering nails with their bare hands.

Finally it was completed, the second grandest building in the realm, and certainly the one most drenched in blood, sweat and mead.

“My lord, the fury and muscles of Krolm serve me well. See these Elite Guard?”

“I can take their armor and mobilize Krolm's babarbarians to beat it into plates more suitable to our purposes. More fire, more muscle! The great spit in the temple is perfect for it!”

“After some truly titanic effort, I can fashion somethinh... somegthing of a metal Svart. A GIANT metal Svart! A giant metal Svart inscribed with runes of magic and Krolm! And with an Inscrutable Engine as its fiery heart!”

“And while I'm working, the Elite Guard fight for the right to pilot it! They fight, and I collect their blood and sweat, and mix it with steel...”

“The winner is selected to be the Princeps, for he is the principal Svart! I then connect him to the metal man... I'm not even sure how I do it, I just do... and out emerges...”

"Only the most worthy of Honourable Svarts have the opportunity to become drivers of the machines called Exemplars of Strength. These cutting edge devices are the finest examples of unsurpassed Svart technology. They are Svart-looking giant robots capable of breaking through a fortress wall or killing a dragon with one stroke of their iron fists."

(from "Chronicles of New Worlds" written by Master Vardies Teleran)

“...an Exemplar of Strength! Truly this is the greatest feat of Svart engineering and religious practices! No enemy will withstand it! No more will they tower over us – instead, they'll cower in our shadow!”

“I will crush those that stand before me!”

Sadly, there aren't any good Exemplar of Strength loading screen shots on the web and I've deleted mine, and I haven't managed to make one spawn in about 15 loads on Warlock. In an unrelated note, I'd totally play Protectorate of Menoth due to my religious leanings, but I really don't fancy Warmachine and their color coded faction magic

“The ground trembled every other heart beat … The sound echoed louder with each beat, and haunted your soul as if doom was approaching … And then I saw it towering in the sky, still miles away. The fear and awe one felt was indescribable. I can only image the sheer terror our enemy felt when they beheld the sight of the Exemplar of Strength”

Truly it was an impressive sight: entire companies of Elite Guard replaced by Exemplars, each piloted by a worthy Svart (and envied by companions that he bested to get the post). Barbarians worked day and night, tirelessly making machine after machine that got teleported to the battlefield to receive their commander.

Such power would soon be needed, as various beast, not content to sit in their own shards, started spilling over the gates. Tormentors meant even more trouble than fire elementals.

The small elven settlement stood no chance against the Exemplar. Alone, it could have kicked away or just charged over the walls. However, it was aided by wrath of Krolm, and an ephemeral axe plunged from the sky, destroying the main gate and the barracks, before disappearing into nothingness.

“I am Krolm incarnate!”

Of course, the city didn't survive it and its people were sent to the one existing Elven settlement.

Even ogres were matched by the unrelenting strength and drive of Exemaplars. Unofficially, there was a bet going on who will knock an ogre's head off with one swoop.

A great map was laid out on a table in the rarely used planning room. Such establishments are more useful to mortal rulers who can't survey their domain by magic means. But this time, the map was special: every discovered shard had been marked on a reproduction of the discovered Strider map.

“Experience has shown great mage shards are, concidentally, dead ends, leading to one other shard. So that rules out Burounts, Fading, Amberon's Outland and, Mallacir's Deadmeadows. Maganid is the shard those two are fighting for, and I'm not putting much faith in Ozeron. With Silentium pratically explored, there's one likely option”

“Ashwind Dale”

“It would stand to reason. After all, we are on legendary quest and legendary always arduous”

“Of course. Well, we haven't tested the Exemplars against the tormentors yet... Good thing we have one milling about, not surrounded by friends and lava”

"The history of the Halberdiers' Trade Union began after the Great King marched north and disappeared form the realm of Ardania. When the wars of the Troubles began, the guards who were left to protect the castles of the King and his nobles suddenly realized they were the only remaining representatives of authority -- that they alone formed the line between the protection and plundering of royal property. Of course, the guards couldn't maintain this delecate position indefinitely, and after they were driven from the castles, they gathered in a tavern for the first Union meeting in history.

The result of this first meeting was the decision to institute the free guards guild, which would be known as Halberdhall. The guild would offer its services to whoever could afford to pay for them. The idea proved a succes: today, Halberdhall is one of the most esteemed guilds in Ardania; it's wealth and reputation have been so flourished that Halbardiers would be unlikely to return the King's service, in the case of his less-than-entirely-probable return. -- And definitely not for the wages they used to be paid."

-From "The Overall Description of Everything" by Master Alfus Bumblegate.

“Strange to see Amberon employing humans... expensive human mercenaries, at that”

There was one reason why it was possible to enchant weapons with both fire and flame: early mages did a lot of fighting against fire and ice elementals and having a sword for one or other occasion was really wasteful.

Some Svarts were better than the others when it came to handling the Exemplars. As such, they could manage some miraculous feats of speed and maneuverability.

As it would in the wilderness, such speed was very, very useful when saving comrades not enclosed in tonne upon tonne of metal armor.

The sudden appearance of vampires – immature vampires – was mostly blamed on books. Or, more likely, on the idea that children should read books, which lead to parents spending money on books, which in turn lead to some Svarts coming up with the idea to write books specifically for children. Those were horrible more often than not, encouraging, among other things, romances with immature vampires.

Luckily enough, an arrow is basically a wooden stake you project out of reach of a vampire.

Unlucky was the fact that sir Hugue was not nearly ready to take on Tormentors.

The merchant spy network informed that Amberon's native plain was quite pleasant and somewhat untouched by spell ravages, except for large bodies of water. But even those weren't a hassle since elves took up boating with gusto.

“I walk into battle to unleash the wailing doom!”

Examplars had a peculiar set of collapsible axes that, in conjunction with certain design features, allowed the machine to spin, creating a vortex of blades and slashing anything that came nearby.

For example, it easily turned two ogres into mincemeat at once.

Progress was much slower on Ashwind Dale, where Wolves spotted more Tormentors and dragons while on the hunt for heretics of Grum-Gog.

On the homefront, however, it was announced that there should be a hunt for demonwood. Nobody questioned the wisdom of hunting a tree, so King Lich had little else to do but declare the hunt.

Exemplar, freshly fallen when a Tormentor spell managed to find purchase in his armor, was teleported back to the capital and had his Svart revived. Soon, it would join the hunt!

“What is this junk? Why only a shoulder strap? I have more armor than that”

“I take you weren't a part of the expedition”

“No, sir, we were sired after they established Vampirium... We were hangers-on, joined the baggage train when they passed us. Not much to do on our shards, and not really safe. Our master felt that something was up, and that it wouldn't end well... That's why he sent us away”

“I see... Well, I'm glad to see that their memory lives with you still. Serve me well and I'll treat you well”

With a mighty blow, the Examplar shattered the demonwood, making a lot of people shout 'hurrah' and a few go 'ow' as splinters got into their unprotected eyes.

Ice circle was a good spell to use in aid of the Wolves, who were immune to the cold, but still appreciated the cooler air that came with it.

Also, seeing icicles form in a shard of lava was always pleasing to mage.

“I suspect there's a story behind these bows, but I can't say anything for sure. Well, we can't use them now, so no danger in that”

Sir Hugue was traveling in Ashwind Dale under a spell of invisibility (having invisible heroes didn't really help public appearances or drives for support, but King Lich never did that anyway). This, however, didn't really help against the heat, and the knight was helpful for the element warding spells.

The archers of Grum-Gog had the back luck of running into Cecinia. As any adept of Agrela, she hated Grum-Gog and his followers with a passion, since they were the ones that spread pestilence and dirt wherever they went.

But in Ashwind Dale, the putrefying bits of their corpses burt into clean, clean ash.

This pleased Krolm a lot, and his favor was bestowed on King Lich.

And Cecinia was avarded Star of Medicine for her effort in improving the lot of peasants everywhere, which, as always, meant fighting Grum-Gog and his minions.

“Fiends! Get ready to taste steel!”

King Lich accepted the alliance, mostly because he found the financial ruination of Krel to be amusing. The undead monarch was heard saying 'some kingpin he turned out to be'.

And most of his soldiers seemed to be concentrated in jungles on Long Shores, suffering from malaria and other pleasures of, well, jungles.

Amberon was doing somewhat better. But not much better: one his companies managed to drive forward real far, resulting in a breakthrough. However, the lack of follow-up resulted in it being quickly extinguished, even if they managed to see the spire of Mallacir's tower.

While it was still questionable how ghost sailors managed to fish out a spell our of serpent reef, it was undeniable that they did.

“While I bet that the explanation how these trolls fit into a hermit hut is really interesting, I would like to tell you that if you find, say, goblins, just leave them there”

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

There was one reason why it was possible to enchant weapons with both fire and flame: early mages did a lot of fighting against fire and ice elementals and having a sword for one or other occasion was really wasteful.

I think you mean 'Fire and frost'.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ah yes Exemplars of Strength, because Svarts.

I'm surprised you havn't busted out the flying rocket knights with laser rifles yet JcDent; I usually rush for them because they are so good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I notice that an Exemplar of Strength, despite being piloted by a single Svart who does no physical labor, still manages to consume 7 units of food per turn.
Exemplars of fatness, more like.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Lone Badger posted:

I notice that an Exemplar of Strength, despite being piloted by a single Svart who does no physical labor, still manages to consume 7 units of food per turn.
Exemplars of fatness, more like.

Svarts only use biodegradable fuel. :v:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

JcDent posted:

Hope somebody will do Endless Legend LP once it's fully out. Like with many 4x games, I find it more fun as an LP (especially if done in the vein of GalCiv II and Jagged Alliance II LPs) than as game itself. Plus, I guess with forum SA-nsibilities, magic that's literally misunderstood tech would probably go really well.

It's incredibly tempting (three month rule ends around christmas, so it's something I could do most likely), although I will make this statement right now: gently caress the Wild Walkers' luck. I got the same drat pacification quest four times in a row, and it was not a fun one. Ardent Mages are fun, and Broken Lords are also pretty cool. Trying out the just-before-release Necrophages right now.

Also, wow, Ashwind Dale is the best candidate for moving forward? Guess it makes sense, they always seem to want to throw at least one hellhole at you before mirror Ardania. Although I wish I didn't keep getting death worlds as the first shard if I'm not undead, and Life worlds if I am. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Endless Legend is really interesting if only for the radically different ways each nation plays. For example the merchant guys being completely unable to declare war because they think war is stupid and unprofitable results in really odd style of play.

It took a bit for me to get a hang of the combat system but now that I've worked it out its certainly a fun game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I first played Endless Legend when it only had zombugs, elves and... whatever else was in back then. Vampire Ghost Knights? I liked it, but the nearer turn 200 it got, the more it devolved into mindless 4X clicking for units to march across half the map and stuff. There really should be a setting in game which forcibly saves and shuts down game one hour in. Space Empire V had the option to replace the date with your clock time, why not have something like that? I sometimes get nauseous when I remember 4 hours streaks of Endless Space... Ahem.

Sheredyn forever!

Chapter 18: In Which We Make Progress Of The Gate Kind

“Ah, more flying sacrifices to Krolm!”

“Old trolls are like old sores – you'll never be rid of them”

“Have you ever seen a Dremer gate?”

“I have, my liege. Terrible things. Had to convert digging machinery to destroy them”

“Well, we didn't have machinery of any kind, but there were trolls and they could crush a Dremer gate or a castle as easy as, well, an elven settlement. I even had a company of them die in my service”

“A shame, I guess”

“Well, I think I already had resurrection at that point... terrible what spells one can forget on reincarnation”

Silver Silks was the most profitable city in realm, but it wasn't exactly blossoming as all Svarts were engaged in making money. The spell of Prosperity had to increase fertility rates and number of successful births... and the pretty colors had to get at least some of the Svarts out of their offices and workshop and maybe meet folks of the opposite gender.

Red dragon nests were ugly beyond compare (except for maybe Dremer Castles), but finding one meant dragon omelets and dragon cakes for the entire realm.

Of course, if you weren't a Svart riding in a magitech metal giant that pulsed with the power a god and was empowered by magical artifacts, it probably meant something a lot worse.

Among other things that the ghost ship fished out of the sea (old habits die hard... even after death) was the corpse of a warlock. He might have had an amulet protecting him from the elements and the undead, but he didn't have a spell that warded off choking on bit of fish.

The ghost sailors, not really concerned with eating, decided to keep it.

“The living are so strange... they always find the most unpleasant places to found a city. Then again, only Svarts could survive in a shard like this”

“Die, die, DIE!”

The Exemplar Svart was really annoyed by the fact that flying monsters could evade his fists by, well, flying. He hoped that some day someone would attach a repeating ballista, or some sort of revolving cannon to his frame. He even had time to dream up a rocket that would be guided by the head of a dead peasant, discarding this idea as unbearably stupid.

Sir Hugue, in the mean time, felt that being ambushed by demons WHILE invisible was a stupid way to die, but couldn't really do anything about it.

The Wolves were in a good mood. They had finally managed to destroy one of the horrible, profane altars that were guiding Tormentors to this realm, shattering it into pieces and drowning those in lava. They had also managed to spook another pack of demons away from their own altar, which was now ripe for the taking.

There, among the scattered ribcages of orphans, they found an intact and uncorrupted artifact – a flying broom. Of course, a company of divine werewolves had little use for one flying broom. But someone else would find it very handy.

The company assembled in formation, using the solar instruments embedded in their staves to calculate trajectory and strength... and then launched the flying broom into the sky. It quockly disappeared into the crimson horizon.

Cecinia was standing near a lake, wondering if the blood-colored water was actual blood when a great bolt fell from the sky, nearly striking the healer.

“What the... wait... is that a flying broom?”

And while certain healers where performing some areal acrobatics on a broom, Amberon was committing ever greater forces to fight Mallacir.

“Ser knight, I'd say it is a pleasure to see you, but it's never a pleasure to one's subjects die. Except when they're goblins”

“It is not exactly pleasurable to die, but I think my liege knows everything about that”

There were rumors, at least in mage circles, that vampiric weapon enchantments had been misused at least once, by a barber. He had found a scroll detailing the spell and cast it on his razor. He went on to become a traveling barber, offering other travelers a shave... and cutting their throats to gain their life energy, all in a bid to live forever.

He met his end when he tried to do that to a lich.

The spells didn't end there: the rainbow dragon found a statue of a hare inscribed with a Haste spell.

Having thrashed the last of the sea serpent lairs, the dragon directed its attention to killing the last of water borne blighters.

A different dragon got his head blown off by a broadside of ghost-rocks. The Examplas swarmed over the now unprotected nest...

However, the greatest and the strongest of their number were already being retasked and metaported to Ashwind Dale. Soon they were crushing what were thought to be the last of Tormentors.

“I don't think anyone else made it this far...”

That was the sad truth. With Amberon's forces tied elsewhere, he didn't have any to spare for the protection of settler convoys. Luckily for the hapless elves, King Lich was set on exterminating the last threats in the region.

Of course, Amberon might have had more troops if they had not been spent in a senseless grind, where the best of Arethi bowmen fired volleys of arrows at skeletons that, at best, were mildly inconvenienced by such strikes.

Mallacir's tower was also located nearby, providing magical support to the defense of the realm.

“Blood unt iron!”

MidEast Crisis 2 had the best voice work of any CnC Mod, ever, and if you disagree, you're a tiny commie mutant traitor

Finally, another undead shard was put to rest and the rainbow dragon found itself momentarily without a task. He decided to use the time to settle his own matters.

Unfortunately, another dragon was also settling his own matters... OF VENGEANCE! The ghost ship had little defense against the searing blasts of dragon breath, and went down with all souls... again.

“There would be no need for this if you didn't send archers into the fray... and forced them to stand around near lava pools. Still, I'll help you, but only to set an example”

“Sorry, Mallacir, nothing personal”

“Such is the price to play the game of nobles...”

There was a Svart craftmen district in the middle of lava fields. The Wolves of Helia didn't find that the least surprising.

Examplars, not so keep to stride in molten rock, went on to recover artifacts that Sir Hugue lost on his last death (bringing that count to two)

“Captain Duckwinson, I presume”

“Nay, 'tis be Bile Gruffson, former first mate o' th' Golddale Duck, now th' capt'n of th' Golddale Duck”

“So the good captain didn't go down with his ship?”

“Go down he did, cursin' all th' while. But he dinnae stick around. 'fraid of ghost flying serpent, the lilly livered spectr'l bastard. I stayed wit' th' lads, sailed th' undead seas, till we got trapp't in a mirror!”

“I always wondered how those things worked. Anyway, Captain Bile Gruffson, I formalize your appointment as captain and entrust the Duck to your more than capable ghastly hands. I'm sorry I can't restore you to life, but that's how it is, once you're undead”

“Yarr, that no be a probl'm. A ghost ship sail more th'n sea, it does, and ghost whences are many... cleaner th'n th' living ones, fer sure!”

“Would you kindly send more support than just kind words?”

“Would you kindly engage in this mutually beneficial trade?”

“I don't really think it prudent, my lord”

“Then my lord will understand my reluctance to send troops. After all, meta-teleportation is costly”

“But I will indulge you. Here's all I can spare... and likely more than is needed to break Mallcir”

“See how they fall when you crush their bones under fists of steel? I doubt arrows could ever acomplish that”

“Tal Karamat. You were truly greatest of us all. Shame you met your at this bleak, desolate place. Maybe it was a little more lively when you were here, maybe it was worth fighting for”

“Maybe it died with you. Whatever happened, I'm happy to see your resting place undisturbed”

Imps. Demons. In comparison to Tormentors, they were nothing. The fireballs they hurled might scare peasants, but they bounced harmlessly of the transformed hides of Wolves of Helia.

This fight would be brief, so, so brief.

“Ever wondered how they got there?”

“Gate mishap, perhaps? Not like they have anywhere to go. My wife, she's a Seer at Fort Gobbo. She writes that the place smells”

“Little surprise there”

“Yeah, but she also writes that human wizards just keep pacing back and forth on the other side of straights. Seems like Fading doesn't have much in the way of seas, so they don't know how to make ships, the poor sods”

“Could build a city in those jungles, they already have half the realm there”

“Naw. Heard a drunk census automaton operator talk about how horribly bankrupt Krel is. Can't even cobble together some settlers”

“Turns out an undead monstrocity isn't the worst leader one can have”

“More demons... more dragons... and, ooh, gold dragon eggs! The lich will be interested in that, for sure. I have to get a closer look”

“The Duke is so old he remembers the times when his sons, Barons of Hell, wore short trousers. However, you shouldn't think that the old Duke is good for nothing. There is life in the old demon yet, and, if necessary, he can show anyone a very 'warm welcome'”

“What... what in the hell... is that?”

“Let's bloody the servos!”

“All Exemplars, follow me into glory!”

“I'm really starting to doubt that your fit to lead entires peoples... or anything at all”

“No curse this time? The gate curses are getting lazy. Wolves, step forward, I trust you can kill anyone that opposes you”

“Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaa...”

“All too easy...”

With the Duke of Hell distracted by something, Cecinia managed to sneak up an capture the artifact he was guarding.

One of the Exemplars fell to the Tormentors... only to rise in Lichgrad and be meta-teleported back into the fray where it tore into the surprised demons.

“Gatecrashing complete! Now, what is this place?”

“I might even make a weapon of great power to comemorate it... now, what is this place?”

“Oh...”

“Amberon the Dark? I have defeated him once... I will crush him again. That elf won't stand between me and Ardania!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, keen. So you've got a guy who's been building up all game and you have to swoop in and stomp him?

• Locked thread