Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hallways are unnecessary, after all. Just segment them into additional bedrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Faithless posted:

What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral? The game feels pretty unplayable at the moment since as soon as 3 dwarfs die all 90 of them beat the hell out of eachother until there's just 1 babbling child left and some sane migrants come to clean up the mess.

It just happened now whilst my drawbridge was up and some idiot had smashed the lever the bits. Meaning the new migrants had to build a siege tower so to speak just to get over the walls.

Have 25% of your fortress be active-duty military, and physically separated from your civilian dwarves. Dwarves training or patrolling are too busy to make friends, and dwarves that have Seen Things You Wouldn't Believe don't care too much when ordered to execute their berzerking sister. This will give you a core kernel from which to always build your fort back up with a few years of migrant waves.

Between that, and smoothed/engraved/decorated everything everywhere always, and a decent justice system to lock down any dwarves who still get a little ratchety, you should be relatively well insulated from any tantrum spirals.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dang, I build one little staircase to the caverns and suddenly my arts & crafts basement is running amok with scared elk birds. Thank goodness I started early and had 5 strong swordsmen to put them down with. The four squaddies whacked them unconscious with their training bats while the captain strode between the bodies, finishing each one using his iron sword with one exception.

That one got its head rendered into chunky salsa by my 80-year-old squaddie #5 using nothing but his blunt walnut training sword. He's got moxie.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Tunicate posted:

Hallways are unnecessary, after all. Just segment them into additional bedrooms.

Yeah I like bedrooms leading to bedrooms, irregular sized rooms, gives the place a real slum warren feel that contrasts nicely with my golden throne rooms and great pyramids.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

my dad posted:

Placing rooms above (or below) your hallways can make for a neat visual, and depending on how you do it can be quite efficient. In addition, under-rooms let you lock away a troublesome dwarf, and above-rooms let you protect your dwarf from building destroying menaces.

I have to say, I love the mental picture of dwarves just living in pits with hatches leading down from a main hallway.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Darth Various posted:

I have to say, I love the mental picture of dwarves just living in pits with hatches leading down from a main hallway.

Me too, but the idea of designating all those stairs is giving me shivers. Building three-tile bedrooms with just a chest bed and door is enough of a hassle seen as how there's so little practical benefit.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Goblin recruits don't earn the privilege of wielding a weapon until they've crushed a dwarf skull with their bare hands

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

quote:

Stopped civs from sending a squad when they failed to find thieves/snatchers to send

so thats why goblins are kicking my poo poo in so early

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dreggon posted:

so thats why goblins are kicking my poo poo in so early

A drawbridge connected to a lever is the first thing built with stone in my fort. You might miss a caravan, or a migrant wave is slaughtered, but the fortress endures.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

Dwarfs can get a bad thought from having other people in their rooms. Or they used to be able to. Who the hell knows any more.

Aug 24, 2011

gently caress off you piece of poo poo

a few questions

1. can this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
2. will this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
3. if i send dwarves to fight this guy will he do some seriously nasty poo poo to them regardless of whether or not he dies
4. do megabeats (i assume that is what this is) normally flash like they're legendary-skilled or am i extra bonus hosed (he's going between yellow and tan, like a farmer/woodcutter)
5. fuckkkkkkkkk
6. do they have trapavoid
7. what do i do

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

1. With BUILDINGDESTROYER:2? I think so!
2. Building destroyers automatically home in on the nearest poo poo they can break. This is one of the reasons why uncorking hell tanks your FPS, those fuckers never ever stop pathing calculations.
3. He's got tusks, a lot of muscle and takes only half damage from anything except for a particular random martial metal (which does, in turn, 10 times as much harm). You're looking at a grueling fight.
4. Nah, they're special flashy things like that.
5. :iit:
6. They do! You're on your own.
7. Crossbows! Swarm it with axes and picks and spears, there's just one of them and more of you! Brick up the entrance and wait until the full moon passes so he turns into a naked peasant who scrambles off in panic!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dreggon posted:

a few questions

1. can this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
2. will this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
3. if i send dwarves to fight this guy will he do some seriously nasty poo poo to them regardless of whether or not he dies
4. do megabeats (i assume that is what this is) normally flash like they're legendary-skilled or am i extra bonus hosed (he's going between yellow and tan, like a farmer/woodcutter)
5. fuckkkkkkkkk
6. do they have trapavoid
7. what do i do

1. Yes
2. Maybe. I've had werecreatures completely ignore my fort's open door. You might be lucky.
3. Yes. They he can infect them with lycanthropy. He might not, though, you could get lucky.
4. That's normal for night creatures like werecreatures.
5. Don't panic.
6. No. I think.
7. Keep all your dwarves inside and make your path of least resistance go through your traps. He'll only by around for an in-game day until he turns back, which is not very long at all. Just hold out. If anyone gets into combat with him, lock them away for a month to make sure they won't turn too.

Aug 24, 2011

i want to send my main dwarves (the high-end contributing ones that support the fort as opposed to the legion of haulers) off to a special area to not get killed, but every time i set a station order to a squad they always gently caress off to the entrance and get killed, even when i tell them to go in the other direction

how do i make them not do this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreggon posted:

i want to send my main dwarves (the high-end contributing ones that support the fort as opposed to the legion of haulers) off to a special area to not get killed, but every time i set a station order to a squad they always gently caress off to the entrance and get killed, even when i tell them to go in the other direction

You need to use burrows, the military dudes are trying to defend the fort.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm two for two using the ol' send a swordsdwarf to lop the werebeast's head off in a single swing method, try that.

Fun fact: they love to bend people's limbs the wrong direction :iit:

Aug 24, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm two for two using the ol' send a swordsdwarf to lop the werebeast's head off in a single swing method, try that.

is that two for two on "it completely failed and everyone was hosed"

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dreggon posted:

is that two for two on "it completely failed and everyone was hosed"

No one was harmed except the fisherdwarves who decided to take their sweet rear end time getting to safety, they're fuckin' dead.

Aug 24, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

No one was harmed except the fisherdwarves who decided to take their sweet rear end time getting to safety, they're fuckin' dead.

last time i waited for a fisherdwarf i got killed by an undead horde

anyway what i was hoping would be the complete ruination of my fortress was in fact a kobold who had shapeshifted into a mammoth for about 20 seconds, damaged my gate a little bit and then just left

i'm quite disappointed, really, especially since one of the guys i sent to pull the lever is a paraplegic and he did NOT get there in time

also my mayor is 13 :psyduck:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
He's a real go-getter, that kid.

I thought Toady fixed the thing with elves taming tigermen, but guess what showed up in the caravan? Should I buy this dude and let him be my resident meat-eating partier/probably eventual mayor?

Aug 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

He's a real go-getter, that kid.

I thought Toady fixed the thing with elves taming tigermen, but guess what showed up in the caravan? Should I buy this dude and let him be my resident meat-eating partier/probably eventual mayor?

Tigerman has mandated the construction of breakfast cereal

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dreggon posted:

Tigerman has mandated the construction of breakfast cereal

We do have Maize now, so that is totally possible!

He won't be able to eat it though :smith:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Make sure you have a well or the tigerman will die of dehydration.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dreggon posted:

You are seriously going about this the wrong way.

Mob the were-mammoth with your entire fort. Hope it dies, but not before biting several people.

Then you can build up a fort full of were-mammoths.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Don't think of it as losing a fort, think of it as a gift to all the other forts on that world.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a 40.11 compliant version of Therapist yet?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I managed to generate a decent river + volcano spot. It's got copper, silver, gold, platinum, iron, flux, a few trees (which is plenty now that you get more than one log for an entire tree), and a bit of soil for farming (not a ton but hey that's what the river is for).

I generated this in whatever version of DF comes with the latest version of the Lazy Newb Pack. You might have to turn aquifers off to get it to generate properly, I don't know exactly how this works. Thanks to someone whose name I can't remember for the original world-gen parameters to get lots of volcanos without turning the world into a hellish wasteland everywhere.

code:
[WORLD_GEN]
	[TITLE:LAVA YOU VERY MUCH]
	[SEED:0wqqeg8mkQcasEWUuAk6]
	[HISTORY_SEED:EaiQu24C4OKG48KYIeSe]
	[NAME_SEED:C0EoYsKKEUi0mMuSEOGY]
	[CREATURE_SEED:egy22UU0w8oKCAaA4gIM]
	[DIM:65:65]
	[EMBARK_POINTS:1500]
	[END_YEAR:200]
	[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:80]
	[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
	[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
	[ELEVATION:1:400:102:102]
	[RAINFALL:0:100:51:51]
	[TEMPERATURE:25:75:51:51]
	[DRAINAGE:0:100:51:51]
	[VOLCANISM:0:100:51:51]
	[SAVAGERY:0:100:51:51]
	[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[POLE:NORTH_AND_OR_SOUTH]
	[MINERAL_SCARCITY:100]
	[MEGABEAST_CAP:4]
	[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:9]
	[TITAN_NUMBER:3]
	[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
	[DEMON_NUMBER:22]
	[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:11]
	[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:11]
	[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:11]
	[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:11]
	[SECRET_NUMBER:22]
	[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:22]
	[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:22]
	[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:11]
	[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:11]
	[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
	[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
	[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
	[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
	[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
	[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
	[VOLCANO_MIN:8]
	[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:66:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:66:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:264:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:528:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:528:0:0]
	[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
	[RIVER_MINS:25:25]
	[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
	[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
	[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:50]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
	[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
	[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
	[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
	[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:6]
	[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:12]
	[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
	[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
	[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
	[SITE_CAP:264]
	[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
	[ELEVATION_RANGES:528:1056:528]
	[RAIN_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[DRAINAGE_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[SAVAGERY_RANGES:264:528:264]
	[VOLCANISM_RANGES:264:528:264]

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a 40.11 compliant version of Therapist yet?

Not in release form, but the memory layouts for .11 are here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Regarding bedroom design, I probably a little biased because I designed it, but I'm still a fan of the decentralized living setup on the DF Wiki:

The operative problem that I found with a lot of the Greek Cross and high density designs is traffic. A lot of them lose a ton of time with dwarves shoving by eachother in 1 wide hallways and one up/down staircase. Dwarves also tend to get hungry/thirsty/tired in waves as well, so these traffic problems get worse as an entire shift of dwarves swarms a central facility.

This was pre-burrow when I designed it, but they work even better with burrows and it is a loving godsend with some of the internal threats you can face now. Having an area where a tight clutch of 26 dwarves can handle all their daily business means less wait time before they get back to work, and with proper smoothing and engraving even the little dining rooms can be brought up to pretty high value. Built in storage space means that nobody has to go too far to grab food or a drink after they wake up, built in barrack space means you can absorb immigrant waves or make in-burrow hospitals really easily, hell, there's even built-in jails for justice that you can use statues to contain, giving you a pre-planned way of handling troublemakers while providing happy thoughts for anyone who saunters by.

This doesn't obliterate the need for a properly massive and dwarfy dining hall, of course, but I have still yet to find something that provides more value for less space invested.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I pretty much design all my fortresses with a grid of up/down stairs spaced every 11 spaces (a single shift-keystroke) and create repeatable "cells" that fit in the 10x10 squares between stairs. It tends to be decentralized enough to avoid tons of staircase traffic without awkward 3x3 stairs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Coolguye posted:

Regarding bedroom design, I probably a little biased because I designed it, but I'm still a fan of the decentralized living setup on the DF Wiki:

The operative problem that I found with a lot of the Greek Cross and high density designs is traffic. A lot of them lose a ton of time with dwarves shoving by eachother in 1 wide hallways and one up/down staircase. Dwarves also tend to get hungry/thirsty/tired in waves as well, so these traffic problems get worse as an entire shift of dwarves swarms a central facility.

This was pre-burrow when I designed it, but they work even better with burrows and it is a loving godsend with some of the internal threats you can face now. Having an area where a tight clutch of 26 dwarves can handle all their daily business means less wait time before they get back to work, and with proper smoothing and engraving even the little dining rooms can be brought up to pretty high value. Built in storage space means that nobody has to go too far to grab food or a drink after they wake up, built in barrack space means you can absorb immigrant waves or make in-burrow hospitals really easily, hell, there's even built-in jails for justice that you can use statues to contain, giving you a pre-planned way of handling troublemakers while providing happy thoughts for anyone who saunters by.

This doesn't obliterate the need for a properly massive and dwarfy dining hall, of course, but I have still yet to find something that provides more value for less space invested.

Hey, I use this design. :toot: I also use the workspace design, though I have troubles getting it to work well with minecarts sometimes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Hey, I use this design. :toot: I also use the workspace design, though I have troubles getting it to work well with minecarts sometimes.

I designed that too! :toot: Though I designed it prior to minecarts being a thing. I should probably revisit it sometime soon, if I'm honest I always forget to use minecarts.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I use this as a base layout, but with living pods design for the living quarters. You have to be more careful with carving out the fort as you're now spanning across Z-levels, but it makes the overall distance between public facilities and rooms shorter. Plus you can put cool stuff in the lobby areas.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This is the one I modified to get my current design. I don't optimize it so much for traffic though, and I don't use those central hallways for dining and whatever, instead as hallways. I extended the height of it so that both the horizontal hallways at the top and bottom as well as the middle hallways have rooms coming off of them.

I've personally never had such a huge problem with traffic that I needed to do something like decentralize it all, but then again it's been a long time since I had a fortress go beyond about ten years before I say gently caress it, dig into hell, and let everyone die.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What's up with this request from a strange mood dwarf?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's just the name of the artifact he is going to create.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
New artifact sock, "The Superior Prestige"! It has images made of iron on them, I didn't even know they could do that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Relates to the creation of Tubedeep the Humid Spear in Slappedfigure"

At least we know what the sock is for.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

"Relates to the creation of Tubedeep the Humid Spear in Slappedfigure"

At least we know what the sock is for.

And Tubedeep the Humid Spear is a previous artifact. Are we sure it's a crossbow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tenebrais posted:

And Tubedeep the Humid Spear is a previous artifact. Are we sure it's a crossbow?

Yup, it's a crossbow:

Also, the guy who made the sock did not become legendary. What gives?