Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PaulDirac posted:

which one?

quote:

thought the gay subplot between Sam and Frodo was well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm, yeah maybe I kind of liked Legolas and Gimli's or Gandalf's bits more then Frodo and Sam's if that helps with recommendations, I'll consider Dune, but I've never been into sci-fi as much as I have been into Fantasy.

(I like cyberpunk though, and The Sheriff of Yrnameer.)

QuasarIntheMist
Sep 4, 2011

gatz posted:

Are there any writers who express disillusionment with American suburban living along the lines of Cheever and Yates?

Try Richard Ford's Sportswriter trilogy.

Can anyone recommend a good history of Reagan's presidency? All the options at My Local Library were either published in 1985 or are partisan garbage. I've been reading Caro's biographies of Lyndon Johnson and they've got me all revved up for more political histories.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Can anyone recommend me a good book on the East India Company (Preferably something not too dry)? There seem to be no shortage out there

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

QuasarIntheMist posted:

Try Richard Ford's Sportswriter trilogy.

Can anyone recommend a good history of Reagan's presidency? All the options at My Local Library were either published in 1985 or are partisan garbage. I've been reading Caro's biographies of Lyndon Johnson and they've got me all revved up for more political histories.

Try Lou Cannon's President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime. It's very insidery, but doesn't sink into partisan hackwork.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Any good books about someone going undercover? Doesn't need to be a cop, just someone pretending to be something they're not. Only looking for fiction here, no true crime stuff.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Draxamus posted:

Any good books about someone going undercover? Doesn't need to be a cop, just someone pretending to be something they're not. Only looking for fiction here, no true crime stuff.

Ronald Malfi's Shamrock Alley is a good crime thriller about an undercover agent trying to take down some very violent Hells Kitchen gangsters. It's better written and more character focused than most crime thriller type novels.

It's not really undercover type stuff but David Peace's Tokyo Year Zero is a very well written and engaging novel set in a post-war, American occupied Japan. People assuming new identities and pretending to be things they aren't is a huge part of it both plot-wise and thematically.

Philip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly is a classic sci-fi novel with some undercover agent and identity stuff in it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Draxamus posted:

I really liked The Likeness by Tana French. It's about a police officer trying to solve the murder of her body double, but the emphasis is on characterisation, not whodunit.

QuasarIntheMist
Sep 4, 2011

Selachian posted:

Try Lou Cannon's President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime. It's very insidery, but doesn't sink into partisan hackwork.

"...pulled off the remarkable feat of winning praise from both Reagan's admirers and detractors."

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

QuasarIntheMist posted:

"...pulled off the remarkable feat of winning praise from both Reagan's admirers and detractors."

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Please be a little bit more cynical, especially when it comes to marketing phrases intended to get you to buy a book.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Serak posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good book on the East India Company (Preferably something not too dry)? There seem to be no shortage out there

Dirk Jan Barreveld has written a number of books about the East India Company (or the VOC, Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagny, it's real name) but im not sure if there are any translations of his works,....you don't happen to ...read Dutch... maybe??? ;)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Serak posted:

John Keay's book is really good, although maybe too dry for you (I didn't find it dry, but I have a high tolerance for books that are).

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

dokmo posted:

John Keay's book is really good, although maybe too dry for you (I didn't find it dry, but I have a high tolerance for books that are).

Just had a read of an excerpt on Amazon - looks like it might fit the bill. Cheers

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
With the way my schedule is right now, I'm just having a hard time sticking with a novel. I can devote time on short stories, though. Are there any fantastic short story collections that I can look into?

Here's a list of who I have read/already own/like:

Etgar Keret (one of my all-time favorites)
Thomas Pynchon's Slow Learner
H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Franz Kafka
Jorge Luis Borges
George Saunder's Tenth of December
Joe R. Lansdale
Richard Matheson
Isaac Asimov's Foundation
The Ballad of the Sad Cafe
Dubliners
The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology
A Good Man is Hard to Find
Clive Barker's Books of Blood
Ray Bradbury

Genre doesn't matter. October's close, so spooky/scary/horror or something weird would be fun. Literary or classics are also good.

(edited for grammar)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 18, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

With the way my schedule is right now, I'm just having a hard time sticking with a novel right now. I can do pretty good on short stories, though. Are there any fantastic short story collections that I can look into?

H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Franz Kafka
Jorge Luis Borges
Joe R. Lansdale
Richard Matheson
Dubliners
Ray Bradbury

Genre doesn't matter. October's close, so spooky/scary/horror or something weird would be fun. Literary or classics are also good.

Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities, if you want weird and acclaimed. And if you liked Borges.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

With the way my schedule is right now, I'm just having a hard time sticking with a novel. I can devote time on short stories, though. Are there any fantastic short story collections that I can look into?

Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow has gotten a lot of attention lately because of True Detective, and it's worth reading. You might also enjoy Lord Dunsany, whose works are on the border between fantasy and horror.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Franchescanado posted:

(edited for grammar)

I read Your House is on Fire Your Children All Gone by Stefan Kiesbye last year as part of my October spookathon and really enjoyed it. It's a bunch of interconnected short stories framed as a series of recollections of a group of 4 adults of their childhood days in a small German town called Hemmersmoor - it's very Grimm's fairy tales-esque - not the sanitized Disney versions but old style Grimm with chopped off body parts. Nasty but fun read.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Franz Kafka
Jorge Luis Borges
Joe R. Lansdale
Richard Matheson
Dubliners
Ray Bradbury

(edited for grammar)

I love Etgar Keret, there's no one like him.

That said, I'd recommend George Saunders's Pastoralia, anything by Raymond Carver (classic/literary), anything by Richard Yates (classic/literary), and Shirley Jackson's short stories (literary/scary).

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

H.P. Lovecraft
Stephen King
Franz Kafka
Jorge Luis Borges
Joe R. Lansdale
Richard Matheson
Dubliners
Ray Bradbury

(edited for grammar)

Stories of Your life and Others by Ted Chiang is fantastic. It's really too bad he hasn't written anything else.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm looking for some good (as opposed to bad I guess???) historical fiction. Preferably set in more obscure areas and/or times not covered by most other HF books? I enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road by Chabon, and sort of liked the The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin although I found it to be kind of dull (mostly I loved the setting).

Also, I've never really read most of the "classic" novels, but I was thinking of starting with a Russian classic like Anna Karenina. What's considered to be the best translation?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 20, 2014

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Farecoal posted:

I'm looking for some good (as opposed to bad I guess???) historical fiction. Preferably set in more obscure areas and/or times not covered by most other HF books? I enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road by Chabon, and sort of liked the The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin although I found it to be kind of dull (mostly I loved the setting).

Also, I've never really read most of the "classic" novels, but I was thinking of starting with a Russian classic like Anna Karenina. What's considered to be the best translation?

Considering you say you've read the classics, odds are you've allready read these but i'd suggest the Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Have you tried George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman" books? The hero is a rotten liar, coward, and lecher who keeps getting involved in the worst fuckups of the late-19th-century British Empire. It's a far from untapped historical era, I know, but they're fun reads and Fraser did his research, with extensive footnotes.

Shirtless Rob
Feb 9, 2014

by Ralp
I'm looking for some conspiracy fiction that is not Dan Brown. Also down for some non-fiction if it's not too :tinfoil:

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Farecoal posted:

You sound like me; I'm also trying to read more of the classic novels :) It also just so happens that I just finished reading Anna Karenina about a month ago. I read the Constance Garnett translation (1901, the first into English), partly because it was the version available on Gutenberg—I'm a Kindle guy—and partly because I'm a fan of long sentences, Britishisms, and archaic sentence construction. If you don't like those things, you may want a more modern translation.

While I've never read them and am thus not in a position to attest to their putative excellence, the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations are generally regarded as highly readable and skillfully done.

You may find this excerpt from the Wikipedia article on Anna Karenina, specifically the section pertaining to the various translations of it, helpful:

quote:

Writing in the year 2000, academic Zoja Pavlovskis-Petit compares the different translations of Anna Karenina on the market. Commenting on Garnett's revised translation she says: "The revision (1965) ... by Kent & Berberova (the latter no mean stylist herself) succeeds in 'correcting errors ... tightening the prose, converting Briticisms, and casting light on areas Mrs Garnett did not explore'. Their edition shows an excellent understanding of the details of Tolstoi's world (for instance, the fact that the elaborate coiffure Kitty wears to the ball is not her own hair–a detail that eludes most other translators), and at the same time they use English imaginatively (Kitty's shoes 'delighted her feet' rather than 'seemed to make her feet lighter'–Maude; a paraphrase). ... the purist will be pleased to see Kent & Berberova give all the Russian names in full, as used by the author; any reader will be grateful for the footnotes that elucidate anything not immediately accessible to someone not well acquainted with imperial Russia. This emended Garnett should probably be a reader's first choice."

She further comments on the Maudes' translation: "the revised Garnett and the Magarshack versions do better justice to the original, but still, the World's Classics edition (1995) ... offers a very full List of Characters ... and good notes based on the Maudes'." On Edmonds's translation she states: "[it] has the advantage of solid scholarship ... Yet she lacks a true sensitivity for the language ... [leading] to [her] missing many a subtlety." On Carmichael's version she comments: "this is a–rather breezily–readable translation ... but there are errors and misunderstandings, as well as clumsiness." On Magarshack's translation she comments: "[it] offers natural, simple, and direct English prose that is appropriate to Tolstoi's Russian. There is occasional awkwardness ... and imprecision ... but Magarshack understands the text ... and even when unable to translate an idiom closely he renders its real meaning ... This is a good translation." On Wettlin's Soviet version she writes: "steady but uninspired, and sounds like English prose written by a Russian who knows the language but is not completely at home in it. The advantage is that Wettlin misses hardly any cultural detail."

In In Quest Of Tolstoy (2008), Hughes McLean devotes a full chapter ("Which English Anna?") comparing different translations of Anna Karenina. His conclusion, after comparing seven translations, is that "the PV [Pevear and Volokhonsky] translation, while perfectly adequate, is in my view not consistently or unequivocally superior to others in the market." He states his recommendations in the last two pages of the survey: "None of the existing translations is actively bad ... One's choice ... must therefore be based on nuances, subtleties, and refinements." He eliminates the Maudes for "disturbing errors" and "did not find either the Margashack or Carmichael ever superior to the others, and the lack of notes is a drawback." On Edmonds's version he states: "her version has no notes at all and all too frequently errs in the direction of making Tolstoy's 'robust awkwardness' conform to the translator's notion of good English style."

McLean's recommendations are the Kent–Berberova revision of Garnett's translation and the Pevear and Volokhonsky version. "I consider the GKB [Garnett–Kent–Berberova] a very good version, even though it is based on an out-of-date Russian text. Kent and Berberova did a much more thorough and careful revision of Garnett's translation than Gibian did of the Maude one, and they have supplied fairly full notes, conveniently printed at the bottom of the page." McLean takes Pevear and Volokhonsky to task for not using the best critical text (the "Zaidenshnur–Zhdanov text") and offering flawed notes without consulting C. J. Turner's A Karenina Companion (1993), although he calls their version "certainly a good translation."

Adib fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 20, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Mika Waltari wrote some great historical fiction. Some of his stuff covers familiar territory but he has a few that cover people/places/times I hadn't come across anywhere else previously.

Denise Giardina has some good historical fiction. There's Good King Harry about Henry V, and Storming Heaven about turn-of-the-century Virginia coal miners.

The Son by Phillip Meyer is good and covers a Texas ranching and oil family from settler days all the way to modern times.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Shirtless Rob posted:

I'm looking for some conspiracy fiction that is not Dan Brown. Also down for some non-fiction if it's not too :tinfoil:

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco is so, so good.
Also The Magus by John Fowles. Neither of these are precisely conspiracy stories per se, but in another way they totally are. They're both also fantastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does a good English-language biography of the Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin exist?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Two requests:

1) I posted something similar in the Cinema Discusso film recommendation thread but I'm looking for some good dramatic fiction about the personal lives of super wealthy/powerful people.

2) Any good non-fiction (or fiction with many real elements) books about Quebec Separatism, the 1995 referendum, the Anglophone exodus, and the current status of the separatist movement?

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I've listened to the World War Z audiobook several times and find myself needing more. World War Z, by Max Brooks, is an epistolary novel recounting the history of a zombie epidemic. I love it. The world, the format, the style, and the way it manages to ring true despite being about a plague of reanimated corpses really butters my biscuit. In a perfect world, it would turn out that there is a huge collection of other stories from the same universe I somehow had not noticed. I'll cross my fingers, but just in case, I'm looking for something with similar attributes.

I'm mostly looking for a 'history' of some calamity or other similarly momentous and tumultuous period. It doesn't matter if it's fiction or non-fiction or somewhere in between. The main thing I'm looking for here is a reasonably detailed account of the catastrophe, the period of chaos and disorder during and immediately afterward, and (most importantly) how society is reformed afterward. Significant bonus points will be awarded to epistolary formats, quality audiobook versions, or other zombie/general plague situations. These are not strictly necessary, though.

Other books that have scratched this particular itch are Lucifer's Hammer, Wool, and A Canticle for Liebowitz. I'm not really looking for something post-apocalyptic here as those are a dime a dozen. I'm more looking for something post-post-apocalyptic. The crux of the issue here is seeing humanity brought to the edge of extinction or at least civilization pushed to the breaking point and then society rebuilding itself over a period of many years. The only other story I've really seen that includes every part of the story; the catastrophe, chaos, and long-term rebuilding, is the Walking Dead comics. I'd love to find a book or series that tells the whole story and appreciate your recommendations.

PS: Firefox says that I should correct 'Liebowitz' to 'Howitzer'. :confused:

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013
I'm looking for books that are about Japanese history and culture. I prefer books with an insider perspective but I'm willing to read outsiders books that are not orientalist, inaccurate bullshit.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Galick posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good modern romance? Preferably something available on the Kindle store. Non-binary characters is a plus, though not sure how feasible it is to find a story that's decently written that explores that.

VVV Fair enough! I'd like a LBGT story, if possible, set in an entirely modern world (or near future) that's generally fairly close to home. No celebrity stars or anything of the sort, just a story about people falling in love :)

Asking for this again. To help clarify what I want:

Modern setting, with a romance at the core of the book - it can have other stuff on the side I guess, but the romance is what I'm after. No celebrities or anything of the sort, unless they're just mentioned in the background or something, and I'd like for one or both parties to be LBGT and actually explore that a bit instead of just using it for 'shock factor' for lack of a better word.

I do not expect to get many results, but hey, I'd be happy if it exists.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

PopetasticPerson posted:

I've listened to the World War Z audiobook several times and find myself needing more. World War Z, by Max Brooks, is an epistolary novel recounting the history of a zombie epidemic. I love it. The world, the format, the style, and the way it manages to ring true despite being about a plague of reanimated corpses really butters my biscuit. In a perfect world, it would turn out that there is a huge collection of other stories from the same universe I somehow had not noticed. I'll cross my fingers, but just in case, I'm looking for something with similar attributes.

I'm mostly looking for a 'history' of some calamity or other similarly momentous and tumultuous period. It doesn't matter if it's fiction or non-fiction or somewhere in between. The main thing I'm looking for here is a reasonably detailed account of the catastrophe, the period of chaos and disorder during and immediately afterward, and (most importantly) how society is reformed afterward. Significant bonus points will be awarded to epistolary formats, quality audiobook versions, or other zombie/general plague situations. These are not strictly necessary, though.

Other books that have scratched this particular itch are Lucifer's Hammer, Wool, and A Canticle for Liebowitz. I'm not really looking for something post-apocalyptic here as those are a dime a dozen. I'm more looking for something post-post-apocalyptic. The crux of the issue here is seeing humanity brought to the edge of extinction or at least civilization pushed to the breaking point and then society rebuilding itself over a period of many years. The only other story I've really seen that includes every part of the story; the catastrophe, chaos, and long-term rebuilding, is the Walking Dead comics. I'd love to find a book or series that tells the whole story and appreciate your recommendations.

You could try The Three by Sarah Lotz which follows the style of World War Z as a retelling of past events through a collection of interviews and news articles written by a fictitious author - in this case 4 planes crash within hours of each other on 4 different continents and only one child survives each of these crashes. I personally enjoyed it quite a bit but it seems to be fairly polarizing so YMMV.

Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven is another recent release which follows a series of interconnected characters in their lives before, during, and then many years after a pandemic which has wiped out 99% of the world's population. The main point of the novel is less about the rebuilding of society and more about the threads that bind these people together but you may still find it interesting.

SM Stirling has an alternate history series called 'Emberverse' that has a similar scenario to that tv show Revolution where one day all machines just stop working and there's no more electricity, and people have to rebuild from the ground up. I haven't read the last few books because I think it just started getting way too out there for me but the first few are definitely about people rebuilding, though it's admittedly cringe inducing and obviously marketed towards the renaissance faire crowd. Quite a few eye rolling moments but still fun if you like society rebuilding stuff.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PopetasticPerson posted:

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory

Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh

Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
Does anyone have some suggestions for non-fiction history about the Roman Empire? I'm looking for something by accessible, modern-day authors/historians, and I'm particularly interested in the late Republic and early Empire period.

I've read 'The Fall of The Roman Empire' by Peter Heather and 'Cleopatra' by Stacy Schiff and really enjoyed them. If anyone's got suggestions for something similar, that'd be great thanks!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cacotopic Stain posted:

I'm looking for books that are about Japanese history and culture. I prefer books with an insider perspective but I'm willing to read outsiders books that are not orientalist, inaccurate bullshit.

I've concentrated on the Heian period (with a tiny amount of reading on the Nara and Kamakura eras); would those be of interest to you or are you only looking for samurai stuff?

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013

xcheopis posted:

I've concentrated on the Heian period (with a tiny amount of reading on the Nara and Kamakura eras); would those be of interest to you or are you only looking for samurai stuff?

I prefer books on modern Japan, but books from other periods also good as well.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

Cacotopic Stain posted:

For the Heian period there's The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon, which is mainly her observations of court life and such. For the Meiji period, if you don't mind fiction, I have heard good things about I Am a Cat by Natsume Sōseki, a satire on Japanese society told from the point of view of a cat.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

bowser posted:

2) Any good non-fiction (or fiction with many real elements) books about Quebec Separatism, the 1995 referendum, the Anglophone exodus, and the current status of the separatist movement?

Kobo keeps recommending Chantal Hébert’s The Morning After:The 1995 Quebec Referendum and the Day that Almost Was to me, which I haven't read but looks interesting and relevant.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cacotopic Stain posted:

George Sansom and Ivan Morris are good places to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm looking for books (hopefully on Audio as well) that are like the TV Series Twin Peaks (hell, like most of David Lynch's work). I know that Stephen King is good at this, as I've enjoyed; It, The Dome, Needful Things and Salem's Lot. I'm looking for bizarre looks into the daily lives and petty nature of small town America. Supernatural is fine, as is wierd.