Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

So regarding (re)watching the platinum edition series and movies, what is the preferred order? Episodes 1-24, Death and Rebirth, EoE, and finally eps 25-26?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Eh, you can easily skip Death and Rebirth entirely.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Amnomia posted:

So regarding (re)watching the platinum edition series and movies, what is the preferred order? Episodes 1-24, Death and Rebirth, EoE, and finally eps 25-26?

I always like the idea of 1-26, watch Death (stop at the credits) for a recap, then EoE.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Watch 1-26 with a friend, wait about a week, ask them if they're unsatisfied with the ending, then watch EoE if they say yes.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
watch the tv show, and then watch EoE

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
then watch Love & Pop and Ritual.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

watch the tv show, and then watch EoE

Then watch Puchi Eva, read the Sadamoto manga, watch Rebuild, read all of the spin-off mangas, play the N64 game, buy an EVA Unit 01 humidifier, watch Nadia and Kare Kano, and sleep on Evangelion bedsheets.

Only then will you truly understand the deep mysteries of Eva.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Yes, it is a classic Japanese cartoon.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Amnomia posted:

Yes, it is a classic Japanese cartoon.

stop being a dick to people talking about neon genesis evangelion in the neon genesis evangelion thread

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks to the anime thread, loss.jpg

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
wheres her tits

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

loss.jpg
the gift that just keeps giving...

(it's so hosed up)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Please tell me you EVA fans have at least watched Ritual.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

Please tell me you EVA fans have at least watched Ritual.

What's an Eva fan?

Also nope.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i mean... who hasn't jacked it to asuka before?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaji didn't. He's classy like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Raxivace posted:

Kaji didn't. He's classy like that.

Kaji was too busy railing Misato and Ritsuko to care about Asuka.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's pretty fun how bad the first like third or quarter of the show can be at times. The english dub is sort of erk at times and at other times they say stuff that I know is like a mistranslation or something cause I'm a super eva nerd, or it's just obviously wrong or w/e idk. The animation can look pretty funny sometimes too. Like I remember people posting about the rebuild films and the lack of "weight" or whatever of the robots and then I just watched that episode where they've got the big self-propelled nuclear powered third party robot thing and it goes out of control and there's a bit where Shinji is in Eva-01 running to catch up to it and it just looks hilarious.

Also I think one of the things that stuck out to me most about Evangelion on my first viewing and has remained one of its more interested qualities is how often they use still frames. Either shots where just nothin' is really happening or frames where they depict "frozen action". They show a shot of people getting off one of the battleships in the Asuka introduction episode and it's just a still shot of people climbing into life boats and poo poo. Or like when Shinji and co. first land and it shows them getting off the helicopter one by one there's just this still shot of a bunch of flight deck crew members going "aww look at this silly fuckers" or something like that.

I love evangelion so much I want to marry it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
the first part of eva is actually really good dude

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
where did I say it was "not really good"

thx

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SHISHKABOB posted:

where did I say it was "not really good"

thx

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's pretty fun how bad the first like third or quarter of the show can be at times.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude I said "at times". Like sometimes the dub is lovely or sometimes the animation is bad. Otherwise see my previous poo poo-faced posts for my positively glowing opinion most other facets of the first (and the rest of it too) show.

Show is good. It's a good show.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It's widely known and accepted that the best episode in the first 'half' of Eva is Episode 09, 'Both Of You, Dance Like You Want To Win!'

Anyone who says otherwise is literally wrong. :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

It's widely known and accepted that the best episode in the first 'half' of Eva is Episode 09, 'Both Of You, Dance Like You Want To Win!'

Anyone who says otherwise is literally wrong. :colbert:

I'm not empty quoting

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

nah my favorite episode is familiar ceilings in the first half

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

my favorite episode is the one animated by Studio Ghibli because it's so jarring

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Which episode was that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Which episode was that?

11th episode. You notice the Ghibli-style faces whenever they emote hard.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's pretty fun how bad the first like third or quarter of the show can be at times. The english dub is sort of erk at times and at other times they say stuff that I know is like a mistranslation or something cause I'm a super eva nerd, or it's just obviously wrong or w/e idk. The animation can look pretty funny sometimes too. Like I remember people posting about the rebuild films and the lack of "weight" or whatever of the robots and then I just watched that episode where they've got the big self-propelled nuclear powered third party robot thing and it goes out of control and there's a bit where Shinji is in Eva-01 running to catch up to it and it just looks hilarious.

Also I think one of the things that stuck out to me most about Evangelion on my first viewing and has remained one of its more interested qualities is how often they use still frames. Either shots where just nothin' is really happening or frames where they depict "frozen action". They show a shot of people getting off one of the battleships in the Asuka introduction episode and it's just a still shot of people climbing into life boats and poo poo. Or like when Shinji and co. first land and it shows them getting off the helicopter one by one there's just this still shot of a bunch of flight deck crew members going "aww look at this silly fuckers" or something like that.

I love evangelion so much I want to marry it.

The still frames thing is just TV anime in general. They work on tight budgets and short timelines so if you can get by on dialogue+a still shot, you go for it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The still frames thing is just TV anime in general. They work on tight budgets and short timelines so if you can get by on dialogue+a still shot, you go for it.
Eva was still really, really flagrant with its frame-saving and reused cells, way beyond even normal budget-saving stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

11th episode. You notice the Ghibli-style faces whenever they emote hard.
The power-outage episode? I really liked that one, even if it does kind of stand out amidst the other episodes in terms of tone.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Eva was still really, really flagrant with its frame-saving and reused cells, way beyond even normal budget-saving stuff.

Ah, the infamous elevator scene.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Well they weren't on a normal budget, they had theirs pulled under the rug when sponsors pulled out and their president was possibly laundering money during the time. And probably the only time they actually ran out of budget, though it still gave them the stigma that that's their gimmick.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zahki posted:

The elevator scene loving rules.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zahki posted:

There are also things like reusing the same cells of Misato running onto the bridge and requesting a status report in multiple episodes. In one of them her left sleeve is sticking out because she's holding her arm out away from her side. In the later one her arm is broken and there's a cast added to the cell, but the sleeve is flying out from her side like her arm was still in it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That's just an added level of realism, because she couldn't put the arm in the other sleeve by herself.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah like if you just throw a jacket over your shoulders but don't stick your arms through the sleeves then the sleeves will flap around kind of?

But I mean still yeah I don't doubt they reuse cells. Just spergin' out hooray.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah like if you just throw a jacket over your shoulders but don't stick your arms through the sleeves then the sleeves will flap around kind of?

But I mean still yeah I don't doubt they reuse cells. Just spergin' out hooray.
They would flap around, but they wouldn't just stick out there all immobile.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The dance episode is hilarious mostly in retrospect.

I mean like, it's so dumb. You can only enjoy it because you know where the series is going. I mean like I didn't think it was impossible to watch the first time

Ok Nevermind it just finished drat that's what you call a payoff best scene in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo I just made a stunning conclusion. In magma diver the angel starts out in the egg and it looks just like Adam did when Kaji delivered it a few episodes earlier. So like I think when you consider the question: where do the Angels come from the answer must be that there are eggs like that HANGIN out wherever like in the ocean or the lava or space or who the gently caress knows.

They all probably start out that way, like the Adam looking egg thing. And then they hatch for whatever reason, but the shape they take is like maybe just plain WHO KNOWS like "up in the air" so to speak. The thing that made me think this is when the lava angel in magma diver hatches it does this funky shape shift thing and whoosh suddenly it's a perfect fit for kicking rear end submerged deep in lava. So I would bet that all the angels start out that way, looking like the egg I mean.

Edit: in the episode where the angel is like a computer virus thing the big Eva false bodies start moving and the one arm is reaching g for the windos and Misato is like oh man and then someone grabs and pulls a button that says "in case of emergency" and it blows up the arm and I think it's funny that they have a button for exploding off one of their arms

The technobabble is so hilarious but the show is so effective at getting across OH poo poo COMPUTERS HACKING gently caress

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 4, 2014