Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm going to end this post there; but it gets more interesting from here; they've finally hit the core of their disagreement. It's about what they're going to start calling "total war". Yudkowsky says that an AI would never willingly give up information about its advances to potential enemies, and Hanson says "economics seems to suggest that it's actually optimal to trade information about advances."

Huh. So that's why Less Wrong and Yudkowsky is so obsessed with individual geniuses; because they don't believe collaboration is rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tunicate posted:

The funny thing is, the best futurist I've seen wrote for the Ladies Home Journal in 1900

Aside from some obvious inaccuracies this is hilariously close to how things actually turned out.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Wow, this Hanson guy must be the most even-headed guy alive to go that long arguing with Yudkowsky and still remain that civil. Also he seems pretty smart. I think I'm just going to go read his site instead of worrying about Yudkowsky now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pavlov posted:

Wow, this Hanson guy must be the most even-headed guy alive to go that long arguing with Yudkowsky and still remain that civil. Also he seems pretty smart. I think I'm just going to go read his site instead of worrying about Yudkowsky now.

Don't, he's a dumbass too, just not in quite the same way as Yudkowsky.

Robin Hanson posted:

Unequal Inequality
By Robin Hanson · February 2, 2007 6:00 am

President Bush just spoke of "income inequality" for the first time, Tyler Cowen (the most impressive mind I’ve met) said last week that "inequality as a major and chronic American problem has been overstated," while Brad DeLong just said that "on the level of individual societies, I believe that inequality does loom as a serious political-economic problem."

I find it striking that these discussions focus almost entirely on the smallest of these seven kinds of inequality:

1. Inequality across species
2. Inequality across the eras of human history
3. Non-financial inequality, such as of popularity, respect, beauty, sex, kids
4. Income inequality between the nations of a world
5. Income inequality between the families of a nation
6. Income inequality between the siblings of a family
7. Income inequality between the days of a person’s life

Consider that "sibling differences [within each family] account for three-quarters of all differences between individuals in explaining American economic inequality" and that "eliminating income inequality within all nations would reduce global income inequality by no more than one-third." So why do we talk mainly about financial inequality between a nation’s families, when each of these other six inequalities is arguably larger?

DeLong’s excuse is that "It is hard … to envision alternative political arrangements or economic policies during the past 50 years that would have transferred any significant portion of the wealth of today’s rich nations to today’s poor nations." But surely we could have transferred wealth if we had wanted to, just as parents could teach their children to share income if they wanted. We could compensate for unequal beauty by transferring from the pretty to the ugly. And we could reduce species and era inequalities by sacrificing less for rich future generations and sacrificing more for other species.

Clearly, we do not just have a generic aversion to inequality; our concern is very selective. The best explanation I can think of is that our distant ancestors got into the habit of complaining about inequality of transferable assets with a tribe, as a way to coordinate a veiled threat to take those assets if they were not offered freely. Such threats would have been far less effective regarding the other forms of inequality.

Added 5/7/07: There is also a huge ignored inequality between actual and possible siblings.

"Lie-berals claim they want to fix inequality, but if that were true, why do babies make less money than adults? Why haven't they built a time-machine to give iPhones to people in the fifteenth century? Why haven't they created a government-enforced rape program to give me the sex I deserve? Why aren't dogs as powerful as humans? Why do people who exist have more money than people who don't exist? Makes u think. In conclusion, taxes are the devil, gently caress the poor."

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 29, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

The Sequences Digression 1 - Hanson / Yudkowsky AI FOOM Debate, part two

Yudkowsky posted:

This is how I see the story of life and intelligence - as a story of improbably good designs being produced by optimization processes. The "improbability" here is improbability relative to a random selection from the design space, not improbability in an absolute sense - if you have an optimization process around, then "improbably" good designs become probable.

He thinks that the important things about an optimization process is what it optimizes, and according to what rules. That's actually pretty reasonable-sounding to me. He believes that there is a firm distinction between two levels of optimization. There's the "object level", that is, the metric or system which is being optimized. In his examples, this is "replication -> survival / dominance", "cells -> reproduction", "animal brains -> reproduction, also some goals", "human brains -> a staggering array of goals". Then there's the "meta-level", which is things like "sexual reproduction as a method of introducing mutation" and "natural selection of asexual populations".

It's amazing how wrong he is here. Life on Earth has progressed by doing the absolute bare minimum capable for reproduction, leaving in all the useless poo poo and not bothering to correct all the quite obvious design flaws from one model to the next providing that the thing can reproduce. There is no optimization whatsoever. There is simply what can survive to the next generation and what can't. It isn't necessarily better or superior, smarter or cleverer. It simply managed to have sex at least once and produce viable offspring. There are innumerable examples of how flawed human beings are in so many different ways, and how many different reactions we have that simply aren't necessary or optimal anymore, let alone throughout the animal kingdom.

It's like reading someone who kinda-sorta understands Hegel try to explain what they think they heard about what Darwin and Nietzsche believed.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Don't, he's a dumbass too, just not in quite the same way as Yudkowsky.

"Lie-berals claim they want to fix inequality, but if that were true, why do babies make less money than adults? Why haven't they built a time-machine to give iPhones to people in the fifteenth century? Why haven't they created a government-enforced rape program to give me the sex I deserve? Why aren't dogs as powerful as humans? Why do people who exist have more money than people who don't exist? Makes u think. In conclusion, taxes are the devil, gently caress the poor."

Haha wait he's the 'inequality across time' guy? I guess its too much to ask for someone who likes 'rationality' without just using it as an excuse to poo poo on people.

Spoilers Below posted:

It's amazing how wrong he is here. Life on Earth has progressed by doing the absolute bare minimum capable for reproduction, leaving in all the useless poo poo and not bothering to correct all the quite obvious design flaws from one model to the next providing that the thing can reproduce. There is no optimization whatsoever. There is simply what can survive to the next generation and what can't. It isn't necessarily better or superior, smarter or cleverer. It simply managed to have sex at least once and produce viable offspring. There are innumerable examples of how flawed human beings are in so many different ways, and how many different reactions we have that simply aren't necessary or optimal anymore, let alone throughout the animal kingdom.

It's like reading someone who kinda-sorta understands Hegel try to explain what they think they heard about what Darwin and Nietzsche believed.

Ok, technically biological evolution is a form of optimization. Its generally categorized as something called 'hill climbing', which is generally a pretty poor form of optimization, but it still counts. Yud's argument still doesn't make that much sense though.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Ok, technically biological evolution is a form of optimization. Its generally categorized as something called 'hill climbing', which is generally a pretty poor form of optimization, but it still counts. Yud's argument still doesn't make that much sense though.

Yeah but optimization for the propagation of genes in a given context isn't the same as optimization for intelligence. Yud essentially posits a teleological interpretation of evolution as eventually leasing to humans inevitably. That's the core of his extrapolation to AI. But evolution doesn't really work that way and AIs wouldn't be subject to selective pressure. He jumps on the idea of evolution naturally producing intelligence and uses it as a justification for why his doomsday scenario will happen.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Pavlov posted:

You're definitely not wrong, but like the poster above said, he's confusing two senses of optimization. Hence my Hegel comparison: he's treating history as teleological, as though everything were leading to this creating of this single thing.

The problem is that he's treating evolution as if it will inevitably result in greater intelligence. Which it won't. You've got animals like the American alligator, which haven't made any substantial changes in millions of years. There hasn't been any massive changes to their environment that resulted in their offspring not surviving to make offspring of their own.

So, in a manner of speaking, the American alligator is already one of the most optimized creatures in existence, and they're dumb as hell, compared to humans. No way in hell will an alligator create an AI system, is what I mean.

Now if what he really means is that evolution will eventually produce a Yudkowsky, savior of humanity, well...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
brb writing about alligators making a swamp AI

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Hanson posted:

1. Inequality across species
3. Non-financial inequality, such as of popularity, respect, beauty, sex, kids
4. Income inequality between the nations of a world
5. Income inequality between the families of a nation
6. Income inequality between the siblings of a family
7. Income inequality between the days of a person’s life

Added 5/7/07: There is also a huge ignored inequality between actual and possible siblings.

How far up your own (or Ayn Rand's) rear end do you have to be to arrive at that list? Point 1 is nonsensical at best. Point 2 is impossible to address without breaking the laws of physics, same goes for his addendum at the bottom. Point 4 can only be addressed through international efforts. 6 is likewise nonsensical - you don't give your toddler the same allowance as your teenager. Left then are points 5 and 7, which is, y'know, the loving purpose of a social safety net.

His point is either that if we strive to achieve greater economic equality, we must strive towards complete equality between all timelines, all species and all existing and non-existing beings - or his point is that striving for greater equality is an irrational pursuit. I don't know which one makes me more angry.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mr. Sunshine posted:

6 is likewise nonsensical - you don't give your toddler the same allowance as your teenager.

In point 6, I think he's talking about adult siblings rather than children. He claims that 75% of all income inequality in America is in the form of inequality between siblings with the same parents. This is a very dubious claim considering that economic inequality is massively hereditary, and his proof of it is... a link to the Amazon purchase page of a pop science book written by a personal friend of his. I assume it's based on some obvious fallacy like comparing the income of adult family members to children, or something along the lines of "Reginald Moneybags makes $800 million but his brother Ruthven Moneybags only makes $600 million, that's a difference of $200 million; Joe Broke makes $20,000 when the national average of $50,000, that's a difference of only $30,000, which isn't nearly as big as $200 million, so obviously it's much less important."

From the comments, here's his explanation of how we would "fix" the sibling inequality one if we really cared and weren't biased liars:

Robin Hanson posted:

Chris, there is an obvious channel to transfer between siblings: parents.

Robin Hanson posted:

If you thought that parents did not have enough influence to get their kids to share income, you might favor the government giving parents the legal power to transfer wealth between their kids. I don't see how this could be more objectionable than the government directly transferring wealth between citizens.

Hmm yes it makes perfect sense to me to give a single other person complete unilateral control over all your wealth until they finally croak by the time you reach retirement age, I can't imagine how that could be abused or why anyone would object to that because like Hanson I too have recently had a lobotomy.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

His point is either that if we strive to achieve greater economic equality, we must strive towards complete equality between all timelines, all species and all existing and non-existing beings - or his point is that striving for greater equality is an irrational pursuit. I don't know which one makes me more angry.

His point is the second one - he's an extreme conservative using reductio ad absurdum to "prove" that liberals are irrational and biased, and merely claim to be against inequality when the fact that they're only against certain kinds of inequality proves that they are wrong and therefore we shouldn't have taxes.

He spells it out in the last paragraph: liberals pretend to care about inequality as a way to violently threaten the rest of us and steal our stuff, because they have primitive tribal brains.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 29, 2014

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Robin Hanson posted:

A year ago I wrote two controversial posts (each 150 comments) that compared cuckoldry to rape. I was puzzling over why our law punishes rape far more than cuckoldry, arguing:

Biologically, cuckoldry is a bigger reproductive harm than rape, so we should expect a similar intensity of inherited emotions about it.

Counter arguments included:

* what the cuckold doesn’t know can’t hurt him
* lots of men don’t mind raising genetically unrelated kids
* rape victims are more socially disapproved of
* rape has direct physical effects, while cuckoldry does not
* rape victims are more often diagnosed “post traumatic stress”
* rape victims they know seem more expressively upset

I presented evidence that most men would rather be raped than cuckolded, and that even though men complain less, they gain and suffer more from marriage and divorce, and the birth and death of kids. Someone noted that many past societies did punish cuckoldry more than rape.

It occurred to me recently that we can more clearly compare cuckoldry to gentle silent rape. Imagine a woman was drugged into unconsciousness and then gently raped, so that she suffered no noticeable physical harm nor any memory of the event, and the rapist tried to keep the event secret. Now drugging someone against their will is a crime, but the added rape would add greatly to the crime in the eyes of today’s law, and the added punishment for this addition would be far more than for cuckoldry.

Now compare the two cases, cuckoldry and gentle silent rape. One remaining difference is that the rapist might be a stranger, while a cuckolding wife is not. But we could consider cases where the rapist isn’t a stranger. Another difference might be that punishing the cuckolding mother financially may punish her innocent kid. But we could specify the punishment to be non-financial, perhaps torture. Consider also that it tends to be easier to prove cuckoldry than rape, so if we avoid applying the law to hard-to-prove harms, that should favor punishing cuckoldry more than rape.

Even after all these attempts to make the cases comparable, however, I suspect most people will still say the law should punish rape far more than the cuckoldry. This even though most farming societies had the opposite attitude (I’m not sure on foragers). A colleague of mine suggests this is gender bias, pure and simple; women seem feminist, and men chivalrous, by railing against rape, but no one looks good complaining about cuckoldry. What other explanations you got?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
cucking and proto-redpilling in one post wowee, throw in some Goku and let's get this gibbis party started

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress.

e: Seriously, what kind of hosed up things does he believe to even lead to the conclusion "adultery is worse than rape"?

Telarra fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 30, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it seems that those two deserve each other after all. loving hell.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hanson posted:

And we could reduce species and era inequalities by sacrificing less for rich future generations and sacrificing more for other species.

I think what he's talking about here isn't inequality between the present and past, but between the present and future. You could do this e.g. by saving money by dumping waste in a lake instead of disposing of it properly, and then some shmuck in the future would have to pay to clean the lake. Still a dumb idea, but it makes a little more sense than a time machine.

WTF? posted:

Biologically, cuckoldry is a bigger reproductive harm than rape, so we should expect a similar intensity of inherited emotions about it.

If you're going to base laws off of this logic, then it would also be illegal to have smarter children than someone else. Or to have more children than them. Or to refuse to have sex with them.

Using "evolutionary reproductive harm" as the basis for a law is retarded.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I will not rest until I have cucked this man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They seem to assume the adulterer is a woman. If someone was telling me about this person second hand, I'd go straight to the poo poo That Didn't Happen thread and say "Hey can you believe this joker tried passing off someone this cliche r/Athiesm as being real?".

Moddington posted:

What the gently caress.

e: Seriously, what kind of hosed up things does he believe to even lead to the conclusion "adultery is worse than rape"?

Lots of rejection and being so convinced of their own superiority that they resort to worshiping a bullshit false image of "logic and rationality" that will always prove them right.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Unlike unemployed anime fan Yudkowsky, Robin Hanson is an actual real employed professor of economics who makes his students write about the appropriate legal punishments for cuckoldry. It's on the syllabus for multiple years.

Robin Hanson posted:

Thank you ma’am, may I have another?
By Robin Hanson

We often see a women complaining about a men, to that man or to other women. We less often see the gender-reversed scenario. At least that is what I see, in friends, family, movies, and music. Yes, men roll their eyes, and perhaps in general women talk more about people. But women complain more, even taking these into account. Why?

The politically correct theory is that women’s lives are worse, so they have more to complain about.

After all, men often ignore, disrespect, and abandon, even beat and rape, women. But slaves weren’t know for being complainers, and they had the most to complain about.

Women also ignore, disrespect, abandon, and beat men. Women rarely rape men, but they do cuckold them. Men suffer more health and violence problems, and the standard evolutionary story is that men suffer a higher outcome variance, and so have more disappointments.

The opposite theory is that women complain because their lives are better; complaints could be weak version of tantrums, which can be seen as status symbols. But even relatively low status women seem to complain a lot.

Clearly part of the story is that when women complain, others tend to sympathize and take their side, but when men complain, others tend to snicker and think less of them. But why are their complaints treated so differently?

One factor is that we value toughness more in men than women. Another factor is that men seem to signal their devotion to women more than vice versa. But I’m not sure why these happen, or if they are sufficient explanations.

Whatever the true story, the politically correct theory, that women complain more due to worse lives, seems both wrong and biased. Surely most people know enough men and women to see that their quality of life is not that different, at least compared to their complaint rates.

(Obscure title explained.)

If he talked about cucking any more he'd be GBS.

gossipy hens

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 30, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

Hanson is credited with originating the concept of the Policy Analysis Market (PAM), a DARPA project to implement a market for betting on future terrorist attacks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The purpose of such a project (in the category of prediction markets) is to get a handle on the likelihoods of various scenarios for the purpose of risk analysis and such, and given regression to the mean it's going to give you decently accurate (if general) answers. (There are other assumptions necessary for a prediction market to be mathematically sound, mind, but they are a thing.) Thing being said, it looks like PAM got canned due to the proposed implementation being quite tasteless and inappropriately specific.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NGDBSS posted:

Thing being said, it looks like PAM got canned due to the proposed implementation being quite tasteless and inappropriately specific.

Great, now if they could fire him from his teaching gig for the same reason.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus Christ. They really do belong together, Yud and Hanson. What IS it about internet rationalists? Why does it draw so many people who just can't stand being wrong?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NGDBSS posted:

The purpose of such a project (in the category of prediction markets) is to get a handle on the likelihoods of various scenarios for the purpose of risk analysis and such, and given regression to the mean it's going to give you decently accurate (if general) answers. (There are other assumptions necessary for a prediction market to be mathematically sound, mind, but they are a thing.) Thing being said, it looks like PAM got canned due to the proposed implementation being quite tasteless and inappropriately specific.
Man, I'd had someone in an RPG I was in say their crime lord character was doing that. I thought it was an intrade gag. :stare:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

Jesus Christ. They really do belong together, Yud and Hanson. What IS it about internet rationalists? Why does it draw so many people who just can't stand being wrong?

The sort of people who define themselves primarily as "Rational" are every bit as hosed up as those who define themselves solely as "Anime watcher" or "Video game player", with all the attendant lack of introspection and burning need to get pay-off on those sunk costs, even if it was about something you said offhandedly in an argument years back. The idea being that, if you are "rational", you can't be wrong: you have concrete and justifiable reasons for feeling the way that you do, unlike your opponent (and it's always "opponent", never simply someone you happen to disagree with, or someone who has a different preference or point of view you can respect though it isn't your own), who is an emotional freak who, if they could get over themselves, would be converted over to the Correct Way of True Thinking because there is no other.

Just as there's a sliding scale between "Watches anime for fun" and "Owns multiple body pillows", some of these guys really just can't bring themselves to admit that people thinking differently doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. And if you pointed out that Yudkowsky's crusade is quite similar to a conservative Calvinist preacher's, no doubt he'd be unable to fully appreciate the comparison.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

NGDBSS posted:

So it's the wisdom of crowds? I bet that's exactly the kind of loosely interesting phenomenon that LWers can spin into the future of mankind or whatever.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SolTerrasa posted:

Yes, why would someone who can't stand being wrong identify themselves as a "rationalist" it's such a mystery

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tunicate posted:

The funny thing is, the best futurist I've seen wrote for the Ladies Home Journal in 1900

Holy poo poo, this guy really was "less wrong" than the others. Some of it was spot on despite not even having the vocabulary. We indeed "telephone" live concerts into our homes in multiple ways, and regulate air in our homes although not with spigots.

Would be rad having a pneumatic tube network though. And free education and healthcare.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The "rays of invisible light" at the end are a bit of a cheat, since that was written in 1900 and X-rays were discovered in 1895.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dabir posted:

The "rays of invisible light" at the end are a bit of a cheat, since that was written in 1900 and X-rays were discovered in 1895.
X-rays don't show soft tissues. The idea of viewing organs that way certainly qualifies as futurism; it's more analogous to MRI or PET.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which, since it uses radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum, could arguably be said to be a kind of invisible light.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I think you find so many libertarians, objectivists and other assorted misanthropes in the "rational community" because, if you view yourself as an intelligent person but still hold morally reprehensible beliefs, you cannot admit that your views are due to upbringing or hatred of the poor gut feeling. So you construct a framework in which your views are perfectly rational, and you yourself a clear-sighted visionary who dares to go against the dumb, liberal, politically correct masses. Throw in some edgy "only I dare speak the truth" poo poo, and you get the whole "we should torture people to avoid getting specks of dust in our eyes", "infidelity is worse than rape" bullshit.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Holy poo poo, this guy really was "less wrong" than the others. Some of it was spot on despite not even having the vocabulary. We indeed "telephone" live concerts into our homes in multiple ways, and regulate air in our homes although not with spigots.

Would be rad having a pneumatic tube network though. And free education and healthcare.

But the Internet is a series of tubes! :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. I scanned through several pages of the thread, but couldn't find a recap of the Methods series that I think I saw on SA a few years ago (it actually went beyond the first dozen chapters and pointed out how wrong the actual science-y bits actually are). Help?

2. Am I misunderstanding something, or does the man actually think that IQ tests measure intelligence? In the year of our lord 2014?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

2. Am I misunderstanding something, or does the man actually think that IQ tests measure intelligence? In the year of our lord 2014?

You misunderstand nothing. Eliezer misunderstands plenty.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I have bad news to you, people still believe in horoscopes and lie detectors too.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Robin Hanson posted:

cuck cuck cuck

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why are economics students writing about that in the first place? Honestly this seems like half the problem with people like Yud. They think they can be scientists and philosophers and mathematicians and specialise in ethics and logic and programming and fanfic. They claim to understand physics, and cognition, and whether X philosophically counts as life, and how it should interact with human society, and its economic effects and its political implications, and its meaning to the human condition, all at once.

They think they can play the game and referee the game and design the game and commentate... Now maybe that is the case for super well educated academics, but not economics undergrads and definitely not autodidact gravy train groupies.

E: And come to think of it, that's probably why people like Yud so often turn to poo poo like utilitarianism. Their background is scientific and based on hard numbers and facts, but God forbid that means they can't just jump straight into abstract philosophy. Instead it must be the philosophers who are wrong because clearly 3 :tvtropes:s = $1.6 million worth of cucks p/a therefore :barf:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 30, 2014

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's kind of unfortunate, because utilitarianism does contribute useful ideas for dealing with some situations where economics and ethics collide. The problem seems to arise when people try to use it as a Grand Unified Philosophy instead of applying it as needed to specific circumstances.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 30, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Strategic Tea posted:

E: And come to think of it, that's probably why people like Yud so often turn to poo poo like utilitarianism.
Is that a problem now? Are we sliding into... eh, let's not name fallacies as to avoid the similarity of expression. Is everything "people like Yud" like now tainted by association?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Xander77 posted:

Is that a problem now? Are we sliding into... eh, let's not name fallacies as to avoid the similarity of expression. Is everything "people like Yud" like now tainted by association?
You've been here since 2009. You should know what goons do by now.

• Locked thread