Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Conure, or a pair of cockatiels, maybe. International travel with a bird/s will be very awkward and potentially very costly as well, so you should look into that ahead of time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
After more browsing, I think we might be going with the L02 model of this cage, unless the bird thread thinks there's something horrendously wrong with it.

It's 75 x 38 x 93 cm, which seems plenty? Am I wrong.

And I'll be getting rope and branch perches, too, of course. :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Conure, or a pair of cockatiels, maybe. International travel with a bird/s will be very awkward and potentially very costly as well, so you should look into that ahead of time too.

It costs around the same as cats or dogs and the larger carriers do it (British Airways, Virgin Atlantic etc...) so it is possible but not cheap. The main issue is getting an Avian Vet to do the DEFRA paperwork for a passport so there is no need for quarantine.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BigPaddy posted:

It costs around the same as cats or dogs and the larger carriers do it (British Airways, Virgin Atlantic etc...) so it is possible but not cheap. The main issue is getting an Avian Vet to do the DEFRA paperwork for a passport so there is no need for quarantine.

Passports, you mean the CITES permits?

This is an interesting read if you haven't seen it already, covering transporting from US to Sweden: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/movinginternationally.php

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I recently bought one of these for my bird, and I couldn't be happier!

http://www.celltei.com/pakobird.html

It is super light weight, and since my bird is non-destructive and fits in the standard small size, I was able to buy the cheapest model. I highly recommend this to anyone who lives an active life with birds. I can cycle everywhere with Zippy now, and even take her into places I couldn't before! You can buckle the pack in like a car seat, and it makes a great overnight container for long trips. My bird took to it right away.

I can finally retire my clunky, old, plastic, Hannibal Lecter-style traveling box!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Passports, you mean the CITES permits?

To enter the UK with an animal that is classed as a pet, usually cats and dogs, you need to have a certain set of health checks and if applicable immunizations done at which point what is know as a "pet Passport" is issued so when the animal enters customs they know that the animal can be let through immediatly and not go through disease screening and possible 6 months of quarantine. The CITES stuff is extra on top of that. having moved to the US from the UK it is just another set of forms/permits/visas etc... that needs to be done :v:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

greypearl posted:

You guys... I never thought it would happen to me...

Just got back from a group run, the middle of which was interrupted by a adorable yellow budgie in the middle of the trail. My husband saw it first and corralled it, then I grabbed it. It has clipped wings, but it also seemed pretty tired. I walked about a mile back to the car with it, and luckily a friend had an animal rescue collapsible container. We went to the pet store and bought a cage, pellets, and some millet. I named it Smashed Tennis Ball, because that is what it first resembled, real name TBD.

I have taken care of the craigslist posts, and I emailed our local bird rescue. Some of our friends have already said they will take it (help me out on gender, please, once I get a pic up?) if no one claims it. Pearl, meanwhile, is avoiding it, and has also tasted prosciutto tonight. What a day.

ETA:

I'm gonna go with "probably female" because the cere is both tannish brown and crusty, the latter of which can happen in broody girl budgies. But yeah, like Boodge Bum pointed out, different color morphs can mess with the standard rules. Yours is definitely a lutino (pure yellow with red eyes).

Props on the bird rescue and good luck finding the owners, if there are any.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BigPaddy posted:

To enter the UK with an animal that is classed as a pet, usually cats and dogs, you need to have a certain set of health checks and if applicable immunizations done at which point what is know as a "pet Passport" is issued so when the animal enters customs they know that the animal can be let through immediatly and not go through disease screening and possible 6 months of quarantine. The CITES stuff is extra on top of that. having moved to the US from the UK it is just another set of forms/permits/visas etc... that needs to be done :v:

Can you link me to this, please? I've not seen pet passports being issued in relation to birds before (just cats/dogs/ferrets), it would be useful to read up about it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Can you link me to this, please? I've not seen pet passports being issued in relation to birds before (just cats/dogs/ferrets), it would be useful to read up about it.

The UK Government Site about it is here https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

As to be expected of a Government website it links off all over the place and is very mammalcentric. However my research basically says that you need:

Health Cert (Pet Passport) from an approved Vet in the country of Origin
An Import License for the UK if the bird is listed on CITES
Approved Carrier and to arrive at an approved port with correct facilities
Enter quarantine for 30 days

If it is a single bird then the quarantine can be done at your home with the bird inspected once you arrive and once at the end of the 30 day period

UK Parrot Society posted:

The lady would have to apply to DEFRA for an import permit. The cockatoo would have to be veterinary inspected before leaving the USA, and then quarantined on its arrival in the UK.

However, as a single pet bird, this can be done in the owner’s own home, and is just for 30 days. He would need to be checked at the beginning and end of the quarantine by a registered Local Veterinary Inspector. DEFRA would give her a list of such vets in her chosen area. Quite simple really, but he would not be allowed to leave the house (or have other bird visitors) during the quarantine period.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BigPaddy posted:

The UK Government Site about it is here https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

As to be expected of a Government website it links off all over the place and is very mammalcentric. However my research basically says that you need:

Health Cert (Pet Passport) from an approved Vet in the country of Origin
An Import License for the UK if the bird is listed on CITES
Approved Carrier and to arrive at an approved port with correct facilities
Enter quarantine for 30 days

If it is a single bird then the quarantine can be done at your home with the bird inspected once you arrive and once at the end of the 30 day period

Yes please post more about this BigPaddy, I'm currently living in france, but I might move back to the US in a couple of years so it'd be nice to bring my little ones with me without quarantine!

Speaking of which, I got Myrtille to step up on a perch I was holding today! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omuo7zW4SLk

I'm so proud of him :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Did you take the bird with you from the US?

quote:

Pet and performing birds originating in the United States may be re-imported without being quarantined if they are accompanied by a United States veterinary health certificate and, if necessary, a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - with the exception of coming from a country where Highly Pathogenic Avian Bird Flu is evident, in which case they are subject to quarantine. This health certificate must be obtained prior to departure from the United States and must include a leg band or tattoo number.

If not then US CBP are quite strict about the quarantine stating it must be in a CBP facility at a cost of $200. In either case you need a health cert from the origin and an import permit for the destination.

More info is here https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/57/~/pets---birds

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Yay! We're finally getting a female cockatiel to keep our existing little bastard company now that my boyfriend no longer works from home. Does anyone have any tips on how to introduce them? Lady Bird will be quarantined for 4 weeks to make sure she is healthy before being introduced to Bird first, and we'll be keeping them in separate cages for as long as it takes for them to be bond (if they do at all.)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko's Harrison's pellets were almost out, so went to order more, found the site we used before increased in price and it would cost almost as much for shipping as it would for the bag, couldn't find anywhere else, vet didn't have any in stock. There's Ohtori's pellets-both Nutribird, and Harrison's Adult Lifetime coarse-but both of them are too big and too hard for Inko to eat. Since I'm going to the UK next week for a while we decided I'd bring a big bag (High potency fine) back with me, and to order a little one from wherever is closest to tide Inko over until I get back. Did that last week, his pellets ran out two days ago, so he got some of Steve's seed mix and was very happy about it.

The pellets arrived today, and lo and behold-a little bag of Adult Lifetime coarse.

So because I didn't want him to go hungry/eat sunflower seeds instead for a month, I ended up smashing a bunch of Ohtori's Harrison's into teeny tiny pieces in the hope Inko will accept them instead. He's been trying to eat from his pellet bowl a few times, and I've heard the sound of pellet munching a few times so hopefully that small they aren't too hard now. He's been alternating between "nomnomnom" and trying to angrily lift the bowl out the holder.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Does Inko not dunk his pellets in his water?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BigPaddy posted:

Did you take the bird with you from the US?

If not then US CBP are quite strict about the quarantine stating it must be in a CBP facility at a cost of $200. In either case you need a health cert from the origin and an import permit for the destination.

More info is here https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/57/~/pets---birds

no, i bought them here in paris, I was really hoping there would be a way to dodge that quarantine if I decided to move back home, but guess not

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Kenshin posted:

Does Inko not dunk his pellets in his water?

No, he hasn't figured that one out yet. I've seen him dip bread in but that's it. He'll dunk fresh food in the pellets though...

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like Inko has been studying the wrong bird's behavior :derptiel:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Inko should get over it in a bit. I know Boop did the same thing for a while when I switched up food.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

chthonic bell posted:

After more browsing, I think we might be going with the L02 model of this cage, unless the bird thread thinks there's something horrendously wrong with it.

It's 75 x 38 x 93 cm, which seems plenty? Am I wrong.

And I'll be getting rope and branch perches, too, of course. :)

My budgie has this cage too!

It was the biggest cage I could find at the time I bought it (bought it in a store, not online). I really like that the two doors on the front open inwards, into the cage, they can sit on the grate and their poops will fall inside the cage and not on your floor.

Be careful putting this cage together, as it is plastic. I accidentally snapped one of the corner clips that hold the frame together, so I had to wire it together with a twist tie. (The wires also snap into the base, so losing 1 corner clip wasn't too huge a deal.)

The clear bottom panel is starting to show some scratches, because I am pretty rough on things I guess. Like hauling it into the bathtub to clean it. If I was to get another cage in the future, i'd probably want to get an all stainless steel cage or something more tough. But it's a nice starter cage for sure. And Hagen sells extra parts you can order online if you break or want to extend something on the cage.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
This video makes me want to own and want to never be near a Cockatoo... all at once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzXm2KT7ew

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I have moved a cockatiel internationally.

It was a nightmare.

Never, ever do it if at all possible. Buy the bird in the country in which you stay in. It's bad on the bird, it's bad on you, and it cost me around $7,000 in total.

And that was without CITES.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Chili posted:

This video makes me want to own and want to never be near a Cockatoo... all at once:

Watching them lose their poo poo is really one of the things that makes it worth it. They all do it too, they just go loving berserk whenever they decide it's time to blow off a bit of the extra crazy. Frankly I don't think I'd like Teeka nearly as much if he didn't reach those kinds of peaks of insanity on a regular basis.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Carfax Report posted:

it cost me around $7,000 in total.

Did you pay someone to handle the import permits etc...? I am under no illusion that if the situation arises where I would have to go through the same thing it would add a few more gray hairs to the collection :smith:

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I did two moves and one of the moves yes, I used an organization, and one of the moves no. The more complicated move was no; I did it myself. The timing and other aspects involved were madness; I had a short window to get things done and a lot of uncertainties. Included in those costs are my own flight tickets which I had to pay for because I had to fly with her when I wasn't ready to move yet, so I had to do an international roundtrip to bring the bird into the quarantine and then come back.

I have to say that the company I used to help were really uninformed when it came to birds, and I ended up doing most of the research work myself, with them just handling the final paperwork after I gave it a once over. If I hadn't done so it would have ended up even further ridiculous; the first time I asked for a quote they gave me a CITES paper to hand to the FWS which is impossible to do for a cockatiel since it's not a CITES bird, but they didn't understand that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Reminds me of importing cars from Japan into the UK. You would be asked for pieces of paper that just didn't exist such as the EU emissions regs data. It is a Japanese market car that was never sold in the EU, here have a model report that has the same data but just not that form number at the top. Oh but I need this exact form... no you don't here let me fill this out for you and you can stamp it so I can get the thing registered.

:downs:

Moving anything between countries is a utter utter ball ache which is why when I moved to the US I just came over with my clothes and a PC. First job after picking up the keys to my apartment was to Ikea for everything. Still cost less than shipping just my bed from the UK.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chili posted:

Cockatoos might be the epitome of :goshawk:

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The couple we went to pick our female Cockatiel up from on Saturday has an African Grey and a Cockatoo. The Cockatoo was the most cuddly bird I have ever met, and snuggled into me while I petted him. He was given up to the couple because he had started to pluck.

When the 16 year old girl who used to own him brought him to them, she said he has a balance problem and would rock and wobble when he sat on your hand. The couple had him for a few days before he showed this behaviour to them. Next time the girl came round to see how he was doing she asked if his balance problem was improving. The nice old pensioner lady that she'd given the bird to then gently explained that his balance was fine and he had, in fact, been masturbating on her hand :gonk:

Also, the African Grey landed on my boyfriend's head and was adorable. Both owners watched their birds with the same level of intensity around new people that are use when my dog reactive dog is around other dogs, though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I mixed up a fresh batch of veggies for Auri & Alexis. Usually I chop it up quite small in the food processor, but I wanted to see what they'd do if I hand-choppped it instead:

The results were not what I expected. Alexis happily munches away, and Auri, who is usually the more adventurous eater, complains loudly.

We'll see if her attitude toward the veggies improve after another few days of getting used to them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

They are pretty :black101:, my girlfriends parents Umbrella Cockatoo will rock out to Amon Amarth.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We got our cage! Next up are accessories for it, we're prob. going to the pet store later to pick stuff up in person (since we might be getting birds this Saturday).

:3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
For your viewing pleasure, something I haven't seen before even though it's several years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Fxclwdfxc

I don't often see IRNs doing tricks. "Put in da basket!" :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahah jesus loving christ I love little birdie voices. PUT IN DA BASKET~

Relatedly here is Amadeus confirming that yes, he is a pretty bird.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205033432378146&l=4495731156879300692

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Awww-how different Ama's voice is to Inko, even though they're both GCCs.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
Playing Fantasy Life for the 3DS, and I've just hit the pirate/beach town. There's all these goofy doofy birds all over the place saying things like this

and it's great. They made me think of some of the talkers in this thread.

There's a DLC pack which apparently has MORE BIRDS in it. PET BIRDS.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Milly bird, aka Chubby Cheeks, aka Puffy, on top of her playtime domain.

I'm so happy, she's finally deciding to eat something other than [one type of] seed and millet!

Yesterday I spent about 20 minutes eating baby carrots in front of her saying "ooooh, mmmm!!" and finally she got jealous/ curious enough to decide she needed to taste the grated carrot I had in a dish beside her.

Today she is even more curious (or trusting of me?) and she ate some berry/spinach mash along with the grated carrots! :

---------

Edit:

Oh yeah I forgot to add, she also ran onto my boyfriend's pizza 3 times and licked it, I kept grabbing her but she kept jumping off my fingers and straight back onto the pizza. A true feathered goonette.

Wrecking Ball fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 1, 2014

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Question: do budgies need calcium blocks?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Trying to get in some last-minute cuddles/preening time before I leave tomorrow:

Ohtori however, is much less sentimental and quickly decided it was TIME TO WRESTLE. Not pictured: angry flailing, squeaks, rolling over, kicking at me, much biting between thumb and forefinger

At this point he was getting too bitey so I gave him a foot toy to fight with, and he did, but so furiously I couldn't get any non-blurry photos.

We got there in the end :3:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

Question: do budgies need calcium blocks?

No harm in throwing one in! I know all birds need calcium for healthy beaks and bones, so I dunno why budgies would be any different. Fuji has a calcium toy in his cage- he loves that loving thing. Between that and the shiny bead toy he's got, he'll run back and forth between them all day.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Look what we found at Tractor Supply today!! :kimchi:

I didn't realize they were going to put out an Annual Bird Talk after the monthly one got cancelled last year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

Trying to get in some last-minute cuddles/preening time before I leave tomorrow:

Ohtori however, is much less sentimental and quickly decided it was TIME TO WRESTLE. Not pictured: angry flailing, squeaks, rolling over, kicking at me, much biting between thumb and forefinger

At this point he was getting too bitey so I gave him a foot toy to fight with, and he did, but so furiously I couldn't get any non-blurry photos.

We got there in the end :3:

More like AWWWtori