Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Played by Danny Devito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ynglaur posted:

If I ever re-read this series, I'm going to have a map in front of me, and draw little lines with approximate dates of when different characters are where. I think I'll need to draw my own map using SVG or it will be unreadable. On that topic: are legally distributable electronic versions of the in-book maps available in a non-EPUB format?

Here are your maps http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

Kruppe is Sallah from the Indiana Jones movies.

It's funny you picked that guy, I always imagined this dude from Princess Mononoke:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thank you. Looking at http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_world?file=Malaz_World_Map.jpg, does this mean the center horizontal line of the map is colder than the "north" and "south"? I seem to recall tundra north of the Edur tribes (north of Lether), and the icebergs in the middle, but Seven Cities was quite warm. Are temperatures just wacky?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Kruppe is Sallah from the Indiana Jones movies.

For me Kruppe was Dom DeLuise, mainly due to the Stargate episode Urgo where he was a fat manic guy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Thank you. Looking at http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_world?file=Malaz_World_Map.jpg, does this mean the center horizontal line of the map is colder than the "north" and "south"? I seem to recall tundra north of the Edur tribes (north of Lether), and the icebergs in the middle, but Seven Cities was quite warm. Are temperatures just wacky?

The temperatures are just a little Jaghut.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Look man, if you don't picture Karsa as Conan the Barbarian at 250% scale I don't know what to tell you.

Still making my way through Reaper's Gale and just made it to book three, when the Malazans arrive. I was kinda surprised that they do such a quick about-face turning the Errant from benign observer to power-hungry sociopath. I know they mentioned that he's catching some of the trapped demon's feelings or whatever, but it still seems pretty abrupt in a series where you see every other character gradually developing over a span of books. I also thought it was a bit much how vindictive and cruel the chancellor is, though I assume that's to setup his satisfying eventual downfall.

Having said that, I'm still enjoying it, and I love that I have absolutely no idea how this Rhulad/Karsa/Icarium bit will play out because all three have so much going on beneath the surface that it could go any which way, assuming any two of them even meet up and aren't driven apart by circumstances. Also interesting to see Quick Ben somewhat on the ropes and not knowing how to deal with it compared to his usual habit of showing everyone up, though I pretty much enjoy the character no matter what :)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Habibi posted:

The temperatures are just a little Jaghut.

:doh: How could I forget? Thank you.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Wolfsheim posted:

Look man, if you don't picture Karsa as Conan the Barbarian at 250% scale I don't know what to tell you.

Still making my way through Reaper's Gale and just made it to book three, when the Malazans arrive. I was kinda surprised that [spoiler]they do such a quick about-face turning the Errant from benign observer to power-hungry sociopath. I know they mentioned that he's catching some of the trapped demon's feelings or whatever, but it still seems pretty abrupt in a series where you see every other character gradually developing over a span of books. I also thought it was a bit much how vindictive and cruel the chancellor is, though I assume that's to setup his satisfying eventual downfall.

I guess its because I saw Guardians of the Galaxy right before I started reading House of Chains. I read every Karsa line in the same manner as "Nothing flies over my head, my reflexes are too fast."

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 6, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Errant and Karsa are pretty cool dudes imho. I didn't like how the Errant became such a mustache twirling villain in the later books though.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2014

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

amuayse posted:

The Errant and Karsa are pretty cool dudes imho. I didn't like how the Errant became such a mustache twirling villain in the later books though.

The Errant has been a total shitlord from Day 1. How much influence do you think he had over Janall and her faction against the King back when he was Turudal Brizad? The reader just gets a lot more direct visibility of what he's doing the further we go, that's all.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You learn that the Errant was already a little poo poo a long time ago when you read Forge of Darkness.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, I just didn't like how he was no longer a smug aloof rear end in a top hat but instead a raving, cackling villain after he lost his eye.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Shockeh posted:

The Errant has been a total shitlord from Day 1. How much influence do you think he had over Janall and her faction against the King back when he was Turudal Brizad? The reader just gets a lot more direct visibility of what he's doing the further we go, that's all.

On top of which, his decent into overt assholery coincides, iirc, with when he sees a chance to begin regaining his power. In other words, he was a minor rear end in a top hat for as long as he had no other options. But as soon as he saw the opportunity to become a major rear end in a top hat, he took it.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Just finished Midnight Tides and :stare:

Oh and that epilogue was fantastic.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Kruppe is definitely the sultan from Aladdin

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If someone shoveled a whole truckload of peyote into Dom Delouise for a decade I can see it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

nah, good friend kruppe is a hobbit sized Ignatius J. Reilly with magic powers.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Spice King from Game of Thrones imo

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wallace Shawn

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So one third into MoI for the third time.
Kilava is kind of a bitch.
Kruppe > Quick Ben
I have forgotten if Gethol disappeared from the series and only made a single appearance in the series?

Also regarding the Adamantium Dragon that would kill of all magic, which must mean that she would be the slayer of K'rul since warrens are a part of his body. But does this also affect Holds?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

colonel_korn posted:

Spice King from Game of Thrones imo

The fun thing about Kruppe is that he's not clean by any stretch. He's this fat dude with greasy gross hair and long trailing sleeve cuffs and he's got all these somewhat obscene personal foibles that makes him poor company a lot of the time. His clothes seem to mostly be described as both stained and threadbare, and he rolls around in a crowd like serious obsessive-compulsive fat man who's probably got some nasty dandruff and poo poo going, despite the days-old chunks of sweetmeats in his pockets.

He really is on the "grossly oily and flaky" side of "unkempt" though, rather than "lovably chubby and kinda crazy!" He steals your food, crashes parties in garish and badly-stained clothing, and then harangues you with hipster poetry while pulling chunks of the catering you ordered and paid for out of his pockets, while he regales you with obnoxious gibberish! The biggest buzzkill - like having some asshat with a love of obscure prog-rock corner you at a bar. Inconceivable. :science:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 10, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

coyo7e posted:

He really is on the "grossly oily and flaky" side of "unkempt" though, rather than "lovably chubby and kinda crazy!" He steals your food, crashes parties in garish and badly-stained clothing, and then harangues you with hipster poetry while pulling chunks of the catering you ordered and paid for out of his pockets, while he regales you with obnoxious gibberish!

Aaah, Kruppe is GRRM. That makes so much sense, and especially explains Bonehunters.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Ok fair warning, this is kind of a weird post. When reading fantasy books I have a tendency to not pay close attention to physical descriptions of characters (e.g. in ASOIAF I always pictured Thoros of Myr as a black guy, and Areo Hotah as looking like Oded Fehr in The Mummy, although apparently they're both white dudes). As I've gone through these books I've assigned certain looks to characters that can't be shaken no matter how their descriptions don't jive. Here are some of them:

I do this too! Very early on in GotM I decided that Kruppe can only ever be Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family, and I haven't been able to shake the image out of my head every time he speaks. He's the perfect fat buffoon.

Also, Whiskeyjack is Hawke from Dragon Age 2

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
But Hawke is terrible

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

But Hawke is terrible

Just screams 'Kyle,' doesn't it.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

Just screams 'Kyle,' doesn't it.

Yep, it really does.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Checking in from my ICE reread, some ways into OST. Still want to completely excise the entire Kiska/Leoman thread. It reads like, uh, Assail. Otherwise, this probably remains my favorite ICE novel.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

Checking in from my ICE reread, some ways into OST. Still want to completely excise the entire Kiska/Leoman thread. It reads like, uh, Assail. Otherwise, this probably remains my favorite ICE novel.

Pretty sure Assail is his go-to writing style, but I rather enjoy it. Makes for a very different read in some ways from Erikson.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There just seems to be a lot of nonsensical small talk that comes across as trying to have a deeper meaning or funny but ultimately comes off as just boring in ICE's book.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Whew! Finally finished Reaper's Gale. Also, none of the three bookstores I've gone to have the next book available, which means to Amazon I go, I guess.

So anyway, here are my criticisms/praises/etc:

I don't necessarily get the BEAK :qq: stuff because he was a bit player who got to save his friends and go to Heaven with her brother. Considering the nonstop shitshow that every other character's life is he got off pretty drat well, and even inadvertently turned the Tiste Edur back on the right path.

I really liked all of the team-ups; Ben, Hedge, Onrack and Trull Sengar were great together, and on the opposite side, Udinaas's group that absolutely hated each other was also a real treat. The Bonehunters were good as usual, and I find myself surprised that Hellian's gimmick hasn't gotten old; the bit where you find out that she alone was approaching their invasion the right way was hilarious. I also liked that the villains all get their poo poo ruined so thoroughly. The chancellor getting killed almost as an afterthought to the Malazans storming the palace was the perfect end, and the various ways the Patriotists ended up being murdered was incredibly satisfying. Karos maintaining his delusions right up to the end was just the right kind of pathetic.

I did have a couple questions though, and I'm not sure if it was stuff I missed or they explain later, or whaaat:

-What was Redmask's deal? He was Letherii, and the mask was made from the scales of a matron, but do we ever get more than that? Were his K'Chain Che'Malle guardians just waiting to see if he was worthy of wearing it and then slicing him open when they realized he wasn't?

-Did Icarium die when he activated his ancient machine? Or I guess I should say, is that really it for that chump?

-How did Tool's sister get from the Awl killing field to the deathless realm that everyone spent the entire book traveling to in what seemed to be a brief amount of time?

-Why did both Wither and Clip immediately try to murder Udinaas when they arrived through the portal? Because he would've tried to protect Kettle?

-Are the Tiste Edur and Letherii generally done? Tehol as emperor and the remaining Edur saying 'gently caress this, we out' seems like kind of a capstone moment, especially since there's only three books left.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 15, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The answer to questions 1, 2, and 5 is keep reading.

3 and 4 I don't immediately recall the circumstances of.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kilava is one of the most powerful Bonecasters in existence (I'd say alive but that's kind of a given given the circumstances), and she's been known to use warrens for fast travel. Also, she knew the place from before - not sure whether it's revealed in RG or later but the chief of the Refugium Imass is her and Onrack's son; it's not so unfeasible she'd have a shortcut.
As for Wither, that was my interpretation; with Clip I think it's safe to chalk it up to Clip being a complete rear end in a top hat.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, Kilava is seriously powerful. She always struck me as being one of the characters that is on an even playing field with gods and the powerful ascendants.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Isn't she basically a god due to onrack painting her on a cave? It certainly made her immortalish

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
No that was just the Imass superstition about poo poo like that. She was already a very powerful bonecaster and was defying them in the whole "let's turn ourselves into undead!" thing.

At least, I never took that to be anything more than a story about the stubbornness of the Imass and backstory on Kilava and Onrack's relationship

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, Kilava is seriously powerful. She always struck me as being one of the characters that is on an even playing field with gods and the powerful ascendants.

Kilava is kind of a bitch for many reasons. You can blame her for the events in MoI

Habibi posted:

The answer to questions 1, 2, and 5 is keep reading.

The answer is always to keep reading.

On MoI:
I keep forgetting how short the Whiskeyjack-Kallor fight is.
Hetan becomes pregnant in MoI, which I completely missed.
Itkovians story line is still one of the best in the series.
Also, the house of corpses in Capustan is just :black101:.
Olar Ethil goes through some major changes from MoI to Crippled God

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I never really understood what the whole Dying God and his blood storyline was about. Was he just a fragment of the Crippled God?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

amuayse posted:

I never really understood what the whole Dying God and his blood storyline was about. Was he just a fragment of the Crippled God?

No he was Bellurdan Skullcrusher, the Thelomen Toblakai high mage that Tattersail duelled with over the corpse of Nightchill on the Rhivi plains. He was part of Silverfoxes psyche along with Nightchill and Tattersail as a result. Then he became the dying god somehow when Silverfox got rid of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Xachariah posted:

No he was Bellurdan Skullcrusher, the Thelomen Toblakai high mage that Tattersail duelled with over the corpse of Nightchill on the Rhivi plains. He was part of Silverfoxes psyche along with Nightchill and Tattersail as a result. Then he became the dying god somehow when Silverfox got rid of him.

He met Hairlock in Chaos and basically attempted to do to himself what had been done to Hairlock, and went even batshit more insane than he had already been after his destruction by/melding with Tattersail.