Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Jake Soo posted:

My instructor gave us a homework assignment: watch a BJJ match.

Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD1QOAh-W_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Jake Soo posted:

Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

Opal fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 8, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Jake Soo posted:

Recommendations?

This match ends with a lethal submission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3XIP1kA7Ls

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
this match most clearly exemplifies the spirit of bjj for me

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1426h_jeff-monson-vs-pe-de-pano-cruz_sport

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Jake Soo posted:

Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5YYqVe1cU&t=13s

Forget all that historical footage, this one embodies the spirit of modern BJJ

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jake Soo posted:

Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Jy9ngpE2w

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Casual thumbs up owns.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I feel awful for never having seen this, it's amazing. What exactly are the Brazilians complaining about?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 7, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Google Butt posted:

I feel awful for never having seen this, it's amazing. What exactly are the Brazilians complaining about?

The rules of the tournament were that you could use a canopener to open the guard, but not to submit your opponent. Monson put it on to open PDP's guard, PDP tapped out without opening his guard and instantly began celebrating his DQ win.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Google Butt posted:

the rules state that if you use a neck crack to get someone to open their guard its legal, but if you make someone tap then its illegal.

important context is that cruz and monson had agreed to donate the prize money to charity, so there was absolutely nothing on the line here. so cruz quickly tapped in order to get the dq, simply out of pure love of cheating.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It really amazes that no one figured out that was going to happen at some point.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

TheCool69 posted:

Here is my interview with Keenan Cornelius

http://youtu.be/2RWlku33NKU

This is from a page back but nice interview. I didn't know the Häkkiradio guys (or guy) were goons.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Haha what's the story behind that?

Yeah, I wanna know too. That's just too amazing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They don't play gentle at the HAMMERHOUSE. Those guys throw down hard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The story is that Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman did a lot of steroids and engaged in the most intense training known to man.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

There is no story behind Roidtech. There is nothing to get.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
It's basically PSP's equivalent of rickrolling someone.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of Rick Rolling I looked to see if that video was still around and somehow stumbled upon this

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Double post

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 8, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What always confuses me about roid tech is they're both pretty much the highest level wrestlers possible yet it looks so bad and awkward. Coleman looked better shooting gassed knee shuffling doubles on Shogun.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
makes me laugh every time

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

They don't play gentle at the HAMMERHOUSE. Those guys throw down hard.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Dangersim posted:

Speaking of Rick Rolling I looked to see if that video was still around and somehow stumbled upon this

Dammit

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

A Wry Smile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5YYqVe1cU&t=13s

Forget all that historical footage, this one embodies the spirit of modern BJJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBK23Vjv4mM

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Opal posted:

Dammit

, argh

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Jiu Jitsu Month One Update -
The Good - I tapped out a guy while rolling for the first time today, three separate times.
The Bad - He was lucky if he weighed 115 pounds and was older than sixteen.
The Ugly - A five foot tall tried to take me down today and managed to somehow suplex me onto my face.

Also it's hysterical when you realize halfway through the drilling/practice part of a class that the "Ceasar Sweep" your brazilian coach is trying to explain to you is a "Scissor Sweep." Made a whole lot more sense then.

Also, in Jiu Jitsu tournaments do points only matter of nobody get's tapped?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Points only matter if nobody gets tapped, advantages only matter if points are tied, all of it only matters if your opponent isn't brazilian

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

fatherdog posted:

all of it only matters if your opponent isn't brazilian

That whooshed right over my head. What am I missing?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

Jiu Jitsu Month One Update -
The Good - I tapped out a guy while rolling for the first time today, three separate times.
The Bad - He was lucky if he weighed 115 pounds and was older than sixteen.
The Ugly - A five foot tall tried to take me down today and managed to somehow suplex me onto my face.

Also it's hysterical when you realize halfway through the drilling/practice part of a class that the "Ceasar Sweep" your brazilian coach is trying to explain to you is a "Scissor Sweep." Made a whole lot more sense then.

Also, in Jiu Jitsu tournaments do points only matter of nobody get's tapped?

You're doing submission sparring one month in?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ICHIBAHN posted:

You're doing submission sparring one month in?

Everyone just calls it rolling. It's seems very important for applying what you are learning in class. I don't think I'd be doing too hot if I was only drilling stuff.

Compared to a Chute Box-ish MMA gym I used to belong to years ago rolling with a bunch of chill BJJ guys is loving tame.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah we roll of course but subs aren't allowed in our beginners class.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Depends on the gym, really. Mine allows submission sparring pretty early on but coaches emphasise that they're only allowed to use the things they've learned so far, and for their opponents to go easy if they've been around longer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
At white belt at my gym we roll but strictly for position; you might start in closed guard and then work to get mount, while your partner is trying anything to stop you except subs.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah same here. I'm a bit annoyed and jealous that other groups can do subs so soon.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I got tapped multiple times on my first day. Felt good.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I think it might be a good idea to ease into full sparring. You have so many techniques and options it's more than a bit overwhelming. Cutting out submissions cuts out some techniques and lets you actually maybe have a set you can keep in your head somehow... Plus the spazzer who is still learning not to spaz wont gently caress up your joints.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Google Butt posted:

there was a visiting black belt training with us on the first day i ever trained bjj and they were recording the rolling so there's tape out there of me in my first bjj class it is really pathetic

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, it's pretty relaxed but there are certainly submissions. After a month of BJJ it's really satisfying to finally feel things click a tiny tiny bit. It might be a bit of a deep end approach but the only things to look out for are other white belts. Whenever I roll with a blue belt they seem to be pretty cool about slowing down and pointing out what I should be doing differently (everything) and not going too hard. Today was the first day I really had to time actually start to do things other than be in a complete defensive shell but I've never felt physically worried about anything. Sure, I've got dumped on my rear end and knocked around a bit but nothing nasty.

I think some of the blue belts today were encouraging me to try guard passing when rolling because right now the only things I seem to be capable of with a skilled person is death gripping anything I can and trying to stall. I'm able to think in my head about what I need to be doing, just have to make my body cooperate.

The Muay Thai classes at the same place have nothing I've seen so far approaching sparring. Sparring with punches and kicks is a different thing. Calling BJJ rolling "sparring" just feels weird.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75dP2G856n8

Renzo's house is ridiculous

e: I think Renzo has more gym space in his basement than Saku's entire gym

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

That whooshed right over my head. What am I missing?

IBJJF refs are terrible and frequently biased.