Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fatherdog, you misquoted me. Pathetic. I take it you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Knee on belly: a morally unjustifiable position

THUG LYFE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
ICHIBAHN, seriously, gently caress off.

Here's Karelin dropping people on their heads as a palette-cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_dDKWmyz4k

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ICHIBAHN posted:

lol dude you are arguing from a perspective of morality in a sport where i dont think you get it, but the entire point is hurting people

you tried to invalidate his argument from you know experience and know-how with "well thats not how i would do things"

you are arguing something you know nothing about from the stances of your feels rather than literally anything concrete

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
if you keep dropping the microphone we're gonna have to charge you for damages

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

?

Like literally you can click the links and go directly to the posts where you post exactly what I quoted you posting. Are you simple or something?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Why on earth would post in this thread if you don't know anything about grappling, don't do grappling and don't want to do grappling? I don't troll the knitting thread.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Morals, dudes.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Morals, dudes.

"hmm this man is trying to snap my arm, i wonder if i should focus on not letting him snap my arm or wonder about the morality of combat sports"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yuriy posted:

please train more

Ok man, clearly I haven't been in enough competitions to tell jokes in an SA grappling thread. :jerkbag:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherdog posted:

?

Like literally you can click the links and go directly to the posts where you post exactly what I quoted you posting. Are you simple or something?

Ok ill bite doggy, i didn't say this "I wasn't intending to argue. I was intending to call everyone in the thread who expressed a certain POV thugs, and then refuse to listen to any reasons my position may be unreasonable. Deal or chill."

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Can you describe a toehold for me?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sure

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Go under their ankle and figure four your other hand that's grabbing their toes, do not apply pressure, instead wait for them to recognize the position and acknowledge it so that you don't hurt them

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is Ichibahn a Paul Pot rereg

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm the real deal oatmeal

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do a double wristlock against their toes, do not apply pressure, instead wait for them to recognize the position and acknowledge it so that you don't hurt them

No you loving noob you palm their toes and apply pressure until their toes crack and they lean back in ecstasy. Then pounce!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok ill bite doggy, i didn't say this "I wasn't intending to argue. I was intending to call everyone in the thread who expressed a certain POV thugs, and then refuse to listen to any reasons my position may be unreasonable. Deal or chill."

Which is why that wasn't in quote tags. Are you familiar with the concept of "restating" as a tool of rhetorical analysis? Have you ever talked to an actual human being? Are you in fact a robot and your rigorous interpretation of the First Law is what is causing this unfortunate conflict?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yes, we know you did not say those exact words (that is why he did not use the "quote" function of the SomethingAwful forums, so that everybody would recognize you did not say those exact words). However, it is a totally accurate summary of your position. He could have added "comically ill-informed and self-righteous" without compromising accuracy.

You seem to fully understand neither the nature of combat sports, competition in general, or how to structure an argument. And you DEFINITELY don't understand how to present yourself as anything other than a sanctimonious know-nothing.

E: now im pretty sure we're being trolled.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Even as a competitive fencer in high school and college you got hosed up and tucked up your opponents in competition. I once got my God damned arm pit ripped open badly enough to bleed through my lead underarm protector. High. School. Fencing.

BJJ is awesome, chill compared to a ton of things, but sure as gently caress meant as a sport in which you literally try to break your opponent. The softy in me might not flip a person onto concrete in a competition if I could help it but I certainly wouldn't worry about it if it happened and I would drat well expect my opponent to do it to me given the chance.

Some of y'all are high if you think competing = thug.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Anytime I see the post count explode in this thread, I know its toe holds.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
feels a bit like bullying here lads

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

a feeling you should be used to

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Being a complete jackass usually invites ridicule. Blame yourself.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Heyyy 50 new posts in the grappling thread something cool musta :yikes:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Someday I hope to win "Most Honorable Participant" at a BJJ tournament.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Thug-based fighting arts

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Thug-based fighting arts

I just realized this guy must not like Yves Edwards and that's not cool.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
When you fight someone in a tournament, you have both literally signed up to hurt each other.

Do you get mad when your opponent punches you in a boxing match?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I just realized this guy must not like Yves Edwards and that's not cool.

Seriously, what the gently caress Ichibahn?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have been quietly annoyed that both this thread and the ask/tell thread have turned into the novice discussion zone (not that there is anything wrong about that since I'm not an expert) but this thread as of late has been pretty drat funny.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Petition to get the crazy guy who trains with Ben Rothwell in here. I don't think he even grapples, but hell, it'll be fun.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ichi you are new to combat sports if I'm not mistaken and your sentiments are nice but during a competition you must put your faith in the refs and the sanctioning bodies to protect the competitors. Competitors are only obligated to compete as well as they can.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Grappling tournaments are very serious business

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Novum posted:

Ichi you are new to combat sports if I'm not mistaken and your sentiments are nice but during a competition you must put your faith in the refs and the sanctioning bodies to protect the competitors. Competitors are only obligated to compete as well as they can.

The samurai code can not be broken dude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Heyyy 50 new posts in the grappling thread something cool musta :yikes:

Me coming into this thread. Only not as good looking or black.

Honestly I train BJJ partially for self defence because I don't want to ever punch anyone in the face if they're aggressor-ing on me, because there's poo poo in the news all the time about guys getting punched once, falling over and breaking their brain on the footpath. Regardless who is right or wrong in the eyes of the law, I'd rather not have that on my conscience.

The other reason is because it's awesome exercise and rad as gently caress to train. I haven't competed yet because I've only been going for about six months, but I wrestled in high school, 17-something years ago, and my nose is still bent a little from one time I got dropped on it and ground into the mat, and that was the least of the poo poo that happened during competition. Competition is about winning, and pausing to consider whether the maneuver you're going to attempt in order to win is morally defensible is probably a really good way to lose. Lots of people train lots of combat sports and never compete, maybe that's what people who have a problem with the possibility of their opponent getting hurt should do. It's still going to be great fitness and cool fun even if you don't compete.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Captain Log posted:

Even as a competitive fencer in high school and college you got hosed up and tucked up your opponents in competition. I once got my God damned arm pit ripped open badly enough to bleed through my lead underarm protector. High. School. Fencing.

How did this happen?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gadamer posted:

How did this happen?

in fencing people are hitting each other really hard with swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I've gotta admit, I sometimes trip out on the moral implications of our sport too. Like, consensual violence is still basically violence, right? And what does that mean for me as a pacifist? In fact, I think that kind of sensitivity to the ethical implications of our actions is good, just like it's good to be aware of their legal ramifications. But calling a room full of people who are trying to reason with you bullies and thugs is just asking for trouble.

So like, if you're choking a guy and he gets a blood clot and dies because of your arterial manipulations, is that like unintentional assisted suicide or what?

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 11, 2014