Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm casting about for a nearby club for just that reason.

I already do have a place to fly but it's just under an hour's drive away. I already drive that just to do target shooting and can't face having two long-distance hobbies. Maybe someday I can take up gardening instead of gravitating to hobbies that require the middle of nowhere, acceptance of legal and political hassle, and hundreds of dollars of club dues to be allowed to drive for an hour both ways during the few months it isn't snowing in order to relax for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I'm a member of three different clubs. For me it's probably a little different because I fly mostly bigger airplanes, if I am doing FPV with little multirotors I fly anywhere safe and fun.

At the best club of which I am member (actually I was coerced into becoming the president) we have a somewhat secluded spot with two locked gates to get into. We have two runways (one for gas/glow aircraft and one for only electric and gliders) as well has a heli circle. Helis are allowed on the gas runway, and electrics and gliders are allowed anywhere...we don't have any bullshit rules about where to fly and we don't have assholes policing them.

We also have two big lean-tos for getting out of the sun or the rain if it blows through, one of which contains a solar powered 12V and 24V charging station. So you can fly all day with a big electric and not bring a generator or run down your car battery recharging. You don't need a lot of batteries and you don't even have to charge them the night before.

We also have a big grill, so if you're going to stay all day, bring some burgers and fire that poo poo up.

We have some of the best heli, 3D/aerobatic, and sailplane pilots in New England at the club. There's also a bunch of old timers who love their overweight glow powered high wingers. We also have some world-class kit builders who churn out beautiful airplanes from boxes of wood. Amazingly we all get along and it's just an incredibly chill place to be.

I also have friends at the club and grabbing a beer after an evening of flying is a frequent occurrence.

The cost for all this? 60 bucks a year, or 85 for your first year.

My point is that clubs can and should be awesome. We are able to be such a cool club because the officers have a lot of common sense, take initiative to fix problems before they become big, and set a good tone for the rest of the club.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I checked out 2 of the local clubs.
Both of them I told them that I had been flying in the local parks for a year and was starting to learn 3D. Also mentioned that I started out on CP heli before moving to fixed wing.
First one:
"You have to join the MAAC, then you can come out and start your 8 week training program and then you can fly" (Along with a long list of *rules*).
Second one:
"Yeah come and have a go. If you like it and join up ($50/year), you'll also need to join the MAAC".

Guess which one I went to? When I came out there, there was a small group and a wide variety of planes, from combat, FPV, giant scale, pylon racers, etc.
Rules? "Just use common sense and don't be a jerk".

It is, though a 45 min drive and with a busy summer, I didn't actually join up, but it is my intention to eventually do so.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah all the clubs around here require AMA membership which makes a lot of sense to me. And there are a fair number of clubs that are very similar to the first one you mentioned, I avoid those.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, since the MAAC provides liability insurance, I got no issue with that.
I did also contact the MAAC and suggested that they should offer a 'weekend' membership for people wanting to try out the hobby. This got bounced around through a variety of people as they clearly didn't want to respond to it, before someone finally said 'Not interested'.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So there is a little community center that I drive by almost every day, so I've now stopped here a couple times to fly.

It's a really nice place with zero people on weekdays. It's not HUGE so fixed wing might be tight but it's great for the Phantom. Nothing too exiting to look at but nice place since I'm left alone.

Here is a short vid I took this AM. I didn't even try to land on the pad since the wind was starting to pick up a bit right at the end (Southern Alberta), and actually tipped the Phantom over as it shut down.

Vid taken on bone stock Phantom 2 Vision+ 1080i@60fps

http://youtu.be/G7OLOwu1ZwY

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 18, 2014

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cool! Quads look like more and more fun every time I see a video like that. I also really really want to do a pod-racing style race sometime like in the French video. I think I know just the place, too.

My FPV monitor died quite some time ago and HobbyKing finally sent me an email... notifying me that they received it back. And need another 1-2 weeks to evaluate :tootzzz:

Figuring that a successful RMA would be bonus and just buying a replacement in the meantime was definitely the right move and mindset.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This happened a while ago, but glad to see that charges were dropped against the pilots in this NYC "near miss" case. You know, the one where the NYPD helicopter chased the drone and created a dangerous situation because cowboys?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/flying-a-drone-is-still-not-a-crime-new-york-police-department-learns

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Sinewave posted:

Cool! Quads look like more and more fun every time I see a video like that. I also really really want to do a pod-racing style race sometime like in the French video. I think I know just the place, too.
That would be awesome. If I had a treed acreage, I 'd be all over that.

Elendil004 posted:

This happened a while ago, but glad to see that charges were dropped against the pilots in this NYC "near miss" case. You know, the one where the NYPD helicopter chased the drone and created a dangerous situation because cowboys?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/flying-a-drone-is-still-not-a-crime-new-york-police-department-learns

There was another vid I saw on youtube of some chucklefuck police helicopter pilot trying to knock a phantom out of the sky with his wash. The Drone pilot was an idiot because he was flying in a park (not allowed in the US I guess) but he wasn't the one actively trying to make it go into an uncontrolled crash.

Those helicopter pilots need to be raked over the coals by the FAA, more so than the drone pilots even since they should know better.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The only helicopter vs drone video I've seen where I approve of the helicopters actions is the one where coast guard one sends the phantom into the surf during what appears to be an active SAR case.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Guts for the assassin arrived today, and with it a receiver with ppm out. Testing went well enough, Tx -> Rx -> Naze -> Bluetooth -> phone works fine. I think I'm running into brown out/overload issues though. The BEC is only 1A, so even with just 2 servos connected, stick movement can cause the receiver to shut off and restart (quickly mind you).

My current plan is to feed 5.5v and ground from the ESC BEC to all the servos. Then connect the signal wires, and ground from the FC and it's 5v supply.

Just realized it may not work. I'm not sure what effect the signal wire being .5v lower than the +ve will do.

Results: Nothing on fire, so that's good. But the servo did not respond to any signals. I measured and saw the PWM change, but something about the signal wire coming from the receiver (5v 1A), while the red power coming from the ESC (5.5V 2A), and the black wires common (and not), made it not respond.

I did notice the PPM signal is only 3V. I think what I'll do is power the Naze and servo's from the ESC BEC (5.5V 2A), the receiver, Minim OSD, and GPS from the 5V 1A BEC. And finally the Camera and VTx from the 12V 1A BEC (same unit as the 5V). I should just have to double check the voltages on the rx/tx between the GPS/Naze, and the Minim/Naze.

In the mean time its back to twisting and extending servo leads. I opted to twist the brown/red pair, and loosely wrap the yellow around that.

Also need to look up which wires are supposed to get looped through ferrite rings.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 18, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like a self centering throttle on my phantom, but I'm going to be trying out my mini quad real soon with presumably a more manual control (like the syma?). Should I just deal with a non centered stick when using my phantom, or figure some way to set up the throttle curve so it hovers at 50%

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just picked up a Hubsan X4 H107L.

What a fun and good flying little quad, puts my little Estes Proto X nano to shame.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Has anyone come across a good informative post/site on RF noise proofing a plane, and more specifically why a technique works? I'm trying to figure out why twisting wires helps in any of our uses, because it seems to only work when used in conjunction with two signal wires sending inverted signals of each other, and subtracted at the destination. And none of the communication protocols used on the RC planes do this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I typically don't fly around the neighborhood, but it was such a beautiful dusk I took the Phantom up for a rip from the driveway. Just flying around with nothing in particular to do, but I could see some people noticed when reviewing the vid.

I took this at 1080i instead of 1080p, but still looks pretty decent I think. You can see the silhouette of the Rockies in the west.

http://youtu.be/llPzigZw3qA

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 20, 2014

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Golluk posted:

Has anyone come across a good informative post/site on RF noise proofing a plane, and more specifically why a technique works? I'm trying to figure out why twisting wires helps in any of our uses, because it seems to only work when used in conjunction with two signal wires sending inverted signals of each other, and subtracted at the destination. And none of the communication protocols used on the RC planes do this.

I do electronics for a living but not RC-like stuff. For power wires going to inductive loads like motors, it's twisted wires of equal length (roughly 1 twist per 3-4 inches, it's not twisted up like a braid). In high inductive loads like hungry motors that are very abruptly started and stopped stray loops in the wires can lead to crazy voltage spikes.

But my experience is all with "normal" two-wire DC motors, not brushless like RC stuff. There are design rules for other kinds of signals and junk but that's outside my experience.

The following is always beneficial and in cases of high current being dumped around quickly can make a measurable difference (though it might not necessarily make a practical difference, it will make a difference):

- Good solid connections
- Clean, neat wiring
- Keep signals separate from "power" stuff like battery wires and motor wires
- Each "thing's" wires kept a) grouped together and b) of an equal length
- Wires and connections not excessively longer than they need to be

Like I said, my experience isn't in electric RC style stuff but some things are always a good idea. A battery's + wire twice as long as the - wire and just left to spool and spill any old place while a high-power motor waits to suck from 0 to XXX Amps in about a microsecond is a recipe for hella noise.

slidebite posted:

I typically don't fly around the neighborhood, but it was such a beautiful dusk I took the Phantom up for a rip from the driveway. Just flying around with nothing in particular to do, but I could see some people noticed when reviewing the vid

That little island and gazebo your neighborhood has is pretty cute. On the wishlist for my plane is something capable of HD video.

PS What's better about the Hubsan compared to your Proto X?

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 20, 2014

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

For FPV planes I've used shielded USB cable for long wire runs for servos, receivers, vtx etc It seems to work well. I just ground one end of the shield. Also a good LC filter does wonders to clean noise from the motor from getting into your video system. They are easy to diy with a ferrite ring some wire and a capacitor.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRL34VsIBI

Ignore the awful music, but this is pretty funny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Sinewave posted:

That little island and gazebo your neighborhood has is pretty cute. On the wishlist for my plane is something capable of HD video.

The gazebo is kind of nice, I never go there myself but some families have picnics and I've even seen some wedding photos taken there.

It's also a favorite hangout for lovely privileged teenagers and young adults that like to drink and smash poo poo after midnight.

The X4 is much more stable to fly. I don't know if my Proto is functioning right or not, but it's never flown as well as the hubsan does, right out of the box.

Of course, none of these are as stable as a Phantom but for <$50 they are a ton of fun, especially inside.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Teenagers. Teenagers never change.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Question, Has anyone here gotten insurance for their Quad/Phantom in the US and if so, who or what do you go through to do it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is a quick flight I just made over the lunch hour. Wind is supposed to pick up this afternoon so thought I'd try to put a flight in today while I could. I did just a short little flight with the ground station for this one.

2 small hops then back to home. First hop to climb to approx 225' high around 350' or so away. I kept it pretty close since I wanted to see it climb fairly fast, handy to know if I ever use ground station near a building or home so I can clear it right away. I then kept altitude to about 1700' away, and then back to home. I regained control as it hovered over home at around 3:55.

Ground station seems to work really well. I wish I could feel more comfortable with it around obstacles on take off.

http://youtu.be/snws_c6vg7s

For comparison, I took this at 1080p30

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

EdEddnEddy posted:

Question, Has anyone here gotten insurance for their Quad/Phantom in the US and if so, who or what do you go through to do it?

I work doing design and development in partnership with a distributor that sells multirotors, and (anecdotally) I have heard that AP camera aircraft can be insured as photography equipment.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have had good luck with http://www.transportrisk.com/ . you're effectively ensuring it like an aircraft. Your regular business/homeowner policy might cover loss or damage but not while airborne.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

slidebite posted:

so a favorite hangout for lovely privileged teenagers and young adults that like to drink and smash poo poo after midnight.

The X4 is much more stable to fly. I don't know if my Proto is functioning right or not, but it's never flown as well as the hubsan does, right out of the box.

Of course, none of these are as stable as a Phantom but for <$50 they are a ton of fun, especially inside.

I just picked up a Proto X yesterday on a whim. Its not rock stable, but I had no trouble flying it around. Felt a bit easier than my V911.

Also screw CA glue. the bottle was leaky and I got half my hand covered in it, which also had baking soda residue... I think I put down the bottle and seperated my fingers with about 2 seconds to spare before it hardened. Figured I'd check what it recommends if you get it on skin. "Soak in warm water, and call poison control." Using gloves for that stuff in the future now.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I had a learning experience today!

Started one flight on a surprisingly calm evening before I went down :downsgun:

I lost my FPV bearings and was losing video feed intermittently, I wasn't sure where I was (a first - new field you see) and I went down in a field.

It could have been worse and I could have made it worse too if I had acted differently.

I lost my bearings, and that was bad.

But I brought it down in a field (a rough landing, but not a crash) while I still had control. Lost all video immediately however.

I was able to review the video from the recorder I have hooked up and I saw what I should have seen while I was flying but was too excited to cotton onto: I don't know where I am, but there's the farm and there's the sun, I could have figured it out had I been thinking instead of banking around looking for a landmark that wasn't there. Anyway, the video showed a road and the farm on the right, so I must be *there*.

The first two white things in a field I checked out were shopping bags. The third was the charm - I saw the video monitor start to get a rolling picture so I knew it was still running and I was getting closer.

With about 30 mins of daylight to spare I brought it in. Here it was as I approached it in the field - the landing was better (luckier) than I thought, apparently.

I gave it a function check and inspection - everything is A-OK. :):hf::sweatdrop:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mister Sinewave posted:

The Hubsan is a much better quad. It responds very well, though I wouldn't fly it too high outdoors, as it is still very light. The Proto X is a nice toy for the money, but if you are looking to progress in learning how to fly these guys, go for the Hubsan hands down.

My first purchase was the fpv Hubsan, and though I love it, if I had to do it again, I would most certainly get the non-fpv one. The price range isn't justified in my opinion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Sinewave posted:

I gave it a function check and inspection - everything is A-OK. :):hf::sweatdrop:
That could have ended worse! Glad it worked out.

Regarding Hubsan/Proto chat, I genuinely don't think my proto flies properly. I constantly spins and can't hover in any real definition of the term even after calibrating and ensuring props are tight multiple times. Is there any adjustment a person can to do you? I've heard of shimming it during calibration, but I don't think that will help a spin.

But I do agree with Cannon_Fodder, the X4 is a really nice little drone. Seems better built too and flies great.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

There should be trims on your controller, and sometimes that's enough. If it's a particularly quick spin it might be that one of your motors is going and needs to be replaced. Also, check if a prop needs replacement or is spinning in the wrong direction. Check for hairs/other stuff that is wrapped around the prop shaft too - that'll not only slow down a rotor (causing spinning - quads control rotation by angular momentum) but can cause one to burn out too.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Arcturas posted:

There should be trims on your controller, and sometimes that's enough. If it's a particularly quick spin it might be that one of your motors is going and needs to be replaced. Also, check if a prop needs replacement or is spinning in the wrong direction. Check for hairs/other stuff that is wrapped around the prop shaft too - that'll not only slow down a rotor (causing spinning - quads control rotation by angular momentum) but can cause one to burn out too.

But that's my manscape. I can't just throw it away. It kept me warm.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are no trims for rotation, only the right stick. No debris or anything on the rotors. If it's a bad motor I'll just cut my losses.

I think it is just a bad unit, it seems to have gotten worse as time went on. Oh well, the little X4 kicks rear end.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The X4 is a lot better for outside flying then the Nano/Proto. The arms are a bit larger, the motors a bit bigger, and it is much more easy to repair. I have had mine 1/8mile away and still maintained full control so it also has a pretty good signal with the remote it comes with.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Ah yeah. Minum OSD and GPS module shows as delivered. I know what I'm trying out tonight!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EdEddnEddy posted:

The X4 is a lot better for outside flying then the Nano/Proto. The arms are a bit larger, the motors a bit bigger, and it is much more easy to repair. I have had mine 1/8mile away and still maintained full control so it also has a pretty good signal with the remote it comes with.

1/8 of a mile? That's pretty good, but it's so tiny even with the LEDs I'd probably have a tough time seeing it! :wal:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

slidebite posted:

1/8 of a mile? That's pretty good, but it's so tiny even with the LEDs I'd probably have a tough time seeing it! :wal:

It was a challenge for sure. The hardest thing is making sure it is facing the way you think it is so you can fly it home. It did turn a bit and threw me off for a second and I thought I lost it in the trees. Somehow I was able to reorient it and bring it home.

It was between some big trees and over a fence and below a phone line so a little obstacle avoidance mixed in, but was good control practice.

The little thing is a trooper.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Shesh, I don't know if my Proto X is defective, but it seemed to lose signal and throttle down after about 20m.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Golluk posted:

Shesh, I don't know if my Proto X is defective, but it seemed to lose signal and throttle down after about 20m.

You can pair the Hubsan remote to the Proto, so you might want to give that a go.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Golluk posted:

Ah yeah. Minum OSD and GPS module shows as delivered. I know what I'm trying out tonight!

Hmm, having some issues getting gps working.

I set the baudrate to 112500, type to ublox, and WAAS ground assist. The GPS Indicator in Baseflight lights up green, but even after 10 minutes near a window, I don't get any satellites, let alone a fix.

I tried setting deadband to 6 from 0 on one post recommendation, though I don't even know what that value does.

Now I'm getting a lat and Lon, but it is way off from what it should be, and still no fix or satellites.

And now its working.... seems it just took a lot longer than I expected.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 22, 2014

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I want to get an entry level plane that will work with a dx6i. I'm not bad with my mcpx and I've flown a bunch of planes in pheonix so I won't be crashing it every thirty seconds or so, but equally I don't want to spend a fortune. I would however like to be able to haul a gopro around on it. Im aware this is nearly an impossible set of criteria which is probably why I don't own this thing already.

Solly fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

In case any of you fools are shooting video and want to put some music to it, I've been using this guys stuff for a while. All good quality, royalty free, which is fantastic for clients who have a budget (and that budget is mine, all mine!) http://incompetech.com/