Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

melon cat posted:

So, let me get this straight...
That's, uh, a lot of stuff you've managed to read into a one sentence post there, buddy. All I said was that owning a house that you live in does in fact give you an imputed income. That imputed income may or may not offset the costs you incur by buying the place (it generally will in a healthy housing market, but not in crazy bubbleland). I did not say "go ye forth and snap up a bargain Vancouver condo now lest ye miss the boat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
New Title: Canadian Housing Bubble: go ye forth and snap up a bargain Vancouver condo now lest ye miss the boat

edit: seriously, can someone please make it this?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

melon cat posted:

So, let me get this straight. You think that if I buy a house in an already-inflated market (like the GTA), and after factoring in:

• Interest on an overpriced house
  • Property taxes
  • Heating
  • Maintenance, including re-roofing which costs $5000 on its own
  • Emergency repairs (which can be anywhere from a few thousands to tens of thousands of dollars)
  • Condo fees (if applicable)
  • CMHC fees (if applicable)
  • Legal fees and land transfer taxes upon selling

.. you'll still think that I'll eke out a profit once I sell (which I probably won't do for an incredibly long time because I need to live somewhere)? Let's do some math using at this math using RBC's Mortgage Payment Calculator. Let's assume I have a 3% fixed rate for 5 years (lol@rates staying at 3%), amortized over 25 years, on a $500,000 mortgage:

That's $183,102.32 in interest over the life of the mortgage. That's just interest. It doesn't even include CMHC fees if you're a high-ratio borrower. Or maintenance costs. Or any of the other expenses I listed above. And all of those non-mortgage costs all assume that I'd pay for them in cash, which most people won't (so they'll borrow).

If you think that you're going to come out ahead in buying a house as a primary residence in the today's inflated real estate market you're grossly misinformed, or you're living in the same dream world that many over-leveraged Canadians are. It doesn't matter what flowery theories about "imputed rent" you think exist because quite frankly it doesn't seem to factor in the actual complexity of home ownership in the 21st Century. Look at these numbers. They don't look good.

I didn't even know this. Thanks for punching it out.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

New Title: Canadian Housing Bubble: go ye forth and snap up a bargain Vancouver condo now lest ye miss the boat

edit: seriously, can someone please make it this?

I think it's too many letters.

Maybe "CA HOUSING BUBBLE: go ye forth and snap up a bargain Vancouver condo now lest ye miss the boat

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 16, 2019

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Uh it should be "lest ye miss the houseboat".

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Uncle Wong's Cabin is funnier

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I still chuckle at our current title.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelboy posted:

Its some development down in Washington. All over the am stations here.

Well, nevermind then. Everyone knows that American real estate is kinda crappy and not a good investment, unlike rock solid Canadian real estate. :v:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I was just doing this in my head. How far ahead or behind would you come out taking into account imputed rents?

Baseline case
$500,000 house on a 25 year mortgage.
Inflation stripped out of all aspects
No growth in housing value
Steady inflation adjusted rents

Assume a 2.5% real (inflation adjusted) interest rate.

$173,543 in total interest paid on a non accelerated bi weekly payment schedule. Over 25 years.
$3,615 in total property/education tax a year (Toronto) for a total of $90,375. This is stickier because this assumes that property tax will only rise by inflation. However even if this isn't the case the burden will be more or less even between renting and owning.
Heating is a wash, many places require you to pay it yourself, and if you don't it's going to be rolled into the rent anyway.
Assume maintenance is 1% of home value a year (5000/year) for a total of $125,000 over 25 years.

Rough total costs over the 25 year period is $388,918. Principle payments on the mortgwte itself don't count as it balances itself out at the end of the mortgage. You paid 500,000 in principle and received a 500,000 asset.

Imputed rents. A $500,000 place probably goes for about $1750 a month in rent. So that's $21,000 a year and $525,000 over the 25 years. Ball parking it it seems you end up a little ahead. If I've missed please point it out.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
You missed the $50,000 down payment being tied up in a home instead of invested in index funds. At 5% per year that comes out to ~$120,000 of profit in 25 years.

Frankly that's downplaying it somewhat, as your DP would likely need to be 25% instead of 10% to secure a 2.5% interest rate for the duration of that mortgage.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

You simply cannot do this calculation in the absence of inflation and end up with anything approaching a sensible result. You need to calculate it in NPV terms otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

I'm busy right now, but I'll do it later and post the spreadsheet.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Gorau posted:

I was just doing this in my head. How far ahead or behind would you come out taking into account imputed rents?

Baseline case
$500,000 house on a 25 year mortgage.
Inflation stripped out of all aspects
No growth in housing value
Steady inflation adjusted rents

Assume a 2.5% real (inflation adjusted) interest rate.

$173,543 in total interest paid on a non accelerated bi weekly payment schedule. Over 25 years.
$3,615 in total property/education tax a year (Toronto) for a total of $90,375. This is stickier because this assumes that property tax will only rise by inflation. However even if this isn't the case the burden will be more or less even between renting and owning.
Heating is a wash, many places require you to pay it yourself, and if you don't it's going to be rolled into the rent anyway.
Assume maintenance is 1% of home value a year (5000/year) for a total of $125,000 over 25 years.

Rough total costs over the 25 year period is $388,918. Principle payments on the mortgwte itself don't count as it balances itself out at the end of the mortgage. You paid 500,000 in principle and received a 500,000 asset.

Imputed rents. A $500,000 place probably goes for about $1750 a month in rent. So that's $21,000 a year and $525,000 over the 25 years. Ball parking it it seems you end up a little ahead. If I've missed please point it out.

Transaction costs should be included for the home ownership case, $10000-$20000 is in the right range for selling a house.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Lexicon posted:

You simply cannot do this calculation in the absence of inflation and end up with anything approaching a sensible result. You need to calculate it in NPV terms otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

I'm busy right now, but I'll do it later and post the spreadsheet.

While I'm interested to see this calculation, given the last 5-6 years of really low inflation, holding inflation constant doesn't seem like such a bad way to get a first estimate. Perhaps when you do your calculation, you can do it for 1% inflation and also some more historically normal value?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

While I'm interested to see this calculation, given the last 5-6 years of really low inflation, holding inflation constant doesn't seem like such a bad way to get a first estimate. Perhaps when you do your calculation, you can do it for 1% inflation and also some more historically normal value?

Definitely. It'll be a spreadsheet parameter, so you can play around with it to your heart's content :)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gorau posted:

Use the price to rent ratio rule. 1-15 buy, 16-20 depends on situation, 20+ rent. The example you gave is 24 but Toronto is actually around 35, Vancouver closer to 60. It boggles me that people are buying in those markets.

You can play with a calculator that takes a few more variables too.

http://www.canadamortgage.com/calculators/rentvsown.cgi

It's more accurate to compare them just look at the fixed mortgage term (5 years) than the whole amortization period.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Franks Happy Place posted:

You missed the $50,000 down payment being tied up in a home instead of invested in index funds. At 5% per year that comes out to ~$120,000 of profit in 25 years.

Frankly that's downplaying it somewhat, as your DP would likely need to be 25% instead of 10% to secure a 2.5% interest rate for the duration of that mortgage.

I netted out inflation because it made the calculation much easier. Figure on 2% inflation. That means the the actual loan rate I was calculating was 4.5%. But I also removed inflation from any housing price or rent price growth. Basically i tried to do it all in real dollars in a quick and dirty fashion. I to would like to see the spreadsheet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shut up about accounting you nerds

time to get back to the real business like racism

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/10/17/hong-kong-press-scorns-canadas-backdoor-wealthy-immigrant-scheme/

quote:

Two journalists who serve Hong Kong readers are incredulous that Canada allows a backdoor route for wealthy people, mostly from mainland China, to immigrate to Canada.

Both Ian Young and Jake Van der Kamp, one of Hong Kong’s leading commentators, have exposed the grave flaws in the way the province of Quebec is pitches wealthy mainland Chinese to immigrate to Montreal with promises of Canadian citizenship.

But when they come to Canada the majority stay in Metro Vancouver, where they wanted to be all along. It’s costing British Columbians billions of dollars. And, as the Hong Kong journalists say, the B.C. government doesn’t do a thing.

Van der Kamp, who was raised in Vancouver but spent most of his life in East Asia, says, “The C$800,000 (HK$5.54 million) non-interest-bearing loans that mainland applicants must pay for the privilege are then turned over to the Quebec government because Quebec is where they said they would go, while British Columbia gets nothing.”

BONUS ROUND: PETTY REGIONALISM

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BC needs to offer the same program but for only 500k! We need to compete for these citizenship bribes!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If BC is paradise on earth why would they need to bribes from rich Chinese people to relocate over there?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need to compete for their immigration fees, not their actual residence. They all want to live here but are paying quebec to do it.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Baronjutter posted:

BC needs to offer the same program but for only 500k! We need to compete for these citizenship bribes!

It's terrible that there is a citizenship bribe. They should be able to immigrate without a bribe.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Their only quality that they are wanted for is how much money they are bring to the region to invest with. If they don't want to leave the deposit, they can always be a doctor or wait in line with everyone else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

We need to compete for their immigration fees, not their actual residence. They all want to live here but are paying quebec to do it.

Just another way Quebec has found to suck money out of the rest of Canada. In a sick way, I admire their ingenuity.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just like the rest of rural Canada

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If I had to choose between my money getting funneled to QC or AB, I'd pick QC because at least they spend it on daycare, universities and other social programs to prepare the next generation. Alberta would use it to maintain their flat tax, using anything left over to give SunCor some extra subsidies. Or they'd put it into the school system. Oh wait, their schools are crumbling with 40 kids per classroom because chasing the all-mighty petrodollar when you aren't collecting oil royalties is loving stupid.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Franks Happy Place posted:

Have to remember capital gains tax on that investment, though (what portion can't be put into a TFSA, anyway).

I agree with those saying that in an inflated market you can't assume you'll come out ahead, but as Lexicon will show, in the right market the cost of rent can be significantly higher than having a mortgage.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This guys sums up the Australian property bubble well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-JP5A0yVc

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Is the rent vs. own dichotomy as it's portrayed in a purely financial sense really only valid in larger cities? My point is, the math assumes the property you rent is equivalent to the property you buy. Somewhere like Toronto obviously there's thousands of condos to rent and thousands of equivalent condos to purchase, but where I live (30k population) there's a distinct line between rental properties (for the poors) which are almost always townhouses or apartments, and detached housing which is pretty much purchase-only. There's no way I would be able to find and rent a house here that would be equivalent to the one I bought, or at the very least the rent would be so high that it would no longer make renting the 'smarter' choice.

It's easy enough to say that factoring in opportunity cost and all the other nuances renting is financially better than buying, but this is predicated on the properties being equivalent in every other way. Is this equivalence a reasonable assumption based on availability in larger cities?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mik posted:

Is the rent vs. own dichotomy as it's portrayed in a purely financial sense really only valid in larger cities? My point is, the math assumes the property you rent is equivalent to the property you buy. Somewhere like Toronto obviously there's thousands of condos to rent and thousands of equivalent condos to purchase, but where I live (30k population) there's a distinct line between rental properties (for the poors) which are almost always townhouses or apartments, and detached housing which is pretty much purchase-only. There's no way I would be able to find and rent a house here that would be equivalent to the one I bought, or at the very least the rent would be so high that it would no longer make renting the 'smarter' choice.

It's easy enough to say that factoring in opportunity cost and all the other nuances renting is financially better than buying, but this is predicated on the properties being equivalent in every other way. Is this equivalence a reasonable assumption based on availability in larger cities?

Yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's always going to be extremes and outliers in any situation. If you're stuck someplace with no rentals and you want to stay there forever and houses are cheap then go ahead and buy something. The worst though would be being in a village with inflated housing prices though.

But yeah, most of the advice here is generalized at the 80% or so of Canadians who live in cities.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's this prevailing misconception in Canada going on with every single bull that it's impossible to determine if you're paying too much for real estate. To every bull, there's no such thing as a property that's too expensive.

This is retarded. For years, a basic measure (amongst many others) for the viability of any investment has been price to income ratio. At least with real estate, you can compare the income (rent) generated by a property vs the cost to buy it.

If the village you're thinking of buying a house in has a price to income ratio comparable to Vancouver or Toronto, stay well away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was hanging out with a friend on the weekend, her mom is some bigwig at a bank. They're well-off, for sure.

Anyway I found it interesting that her parents were talking about how the housing market is nuts and young people shouldn't buy houses. I'm used to people who have money saying "get a house you poors". Maybe thinking is changing on some level?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I'm a loser who bought a house in Toronto back in May.

Nice to meet all of you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ascendance posted:

Nice to meet all of you.

You're not a loser if your pride of ownership levels are still high. You have to compare the Pride of Owership with the shame of renting and see if you come out ahead.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

You're not a loser if your pride of ownership levels are still high. You have to compare the Pride of Owership with the shame of renting and see if you come out ahead.
Main thing though is that trying to find a rental 3 bdrm house that is less than $2k, offers TTC access (say, 10-15 mins to subway), and is not a shithole is kind of challenging in Toronto.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ascendance posted:

Nice to meet all of you.

You're not the pre-construction condo goon that we were all rigorously mocking back then, are you?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Rime posted:

You're not the pre-construction condo goon that we were all rigorously mocking back then, are you?
Oh, no, not at all. I have one of those single story bungalows built in the 1920s in the old City of York.

Probably bought one that was a little too nicely renovated, but it was taken care of very well.

Edit: loving stove lasted 3 weeks before it died. And by died, I mean randomly beeped like crazy so I had to put it down.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If I bought a house I would stay far away from this thread. I'd hate to feel like I made a mistake or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

triplexpac posted:

If I bought a house I would stay far away from this thread. I'd hate to feel like I made a mistake or something.

I dunno, as long as you didn't buy some overpriced dump with a lovely, low-money-down 40-year-amortized mortgage or something legitimately retarded like that, it doesn't feel that bad.