Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, that was quite the revelation that they didn't make much of. Also looking forwards to next week's fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Man, that ending theme may be an all time worst for me.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Migi is such a nice parasite

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Argue posted:

Parasyte -the maxim-: David Cronenberg's Midori Days
Yeah it should be this

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Very hype for the imminent chair leg stabbing.

Not sure how that's gonna become a whole episode though, feels like they could have ended it within this one.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The music during the assembly was great, and I am way into the little details of animation like A-san's pupils bugging out during their little coffee date. I like how much momentum there is, and that Shinichi seems like a regular dude. The way he reasons, and how he adapts to his situation feels pretty realistic to me (at least by anime standards).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Dammit, I was hoping they'd actually show the fight this episode. I think they managed to make A-san creepier than he was in the manga.

So, anyone notice how the fridge horror is ramped up in this episode? Um, once the aliens take over person is the person still "alive"? Are they essentially reanimating empty humans? That is a one creepy experiment, sensei. No offense.

I did like MC how the acted realistic and seemed scared in class which would make sense opposed to let's have a showdown right now!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alder posted:

So, anyone notice how the fridge horror is ramped up in this episode? Um, once the aliens take over person is the person still "alive"? Are they essentially reanimating empty humans? That is a one creepy experiment, sensei. No offense.
No, the brain is gone so the person is dead.

The experiment raises an important question: if they can't reproduce, why are they here? They can't really take over or colonize the planet if they're just one-shot parasites. Maybe they're bioweapons created by an alien race to depopulate the planet, but it doesn't seem like they were dropped in large enough numbers for that.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The "person" isn't alive, but their body still is. In theory you could keep a human body biologically active without a brain, it just wouldn't be able to do anything without outside influence. Because the parasites take over and replace the head while the host is still alive, there's no period without brain stimuli for the body to shut down during.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

The experiment raises an important question: if they can't reproduce, why are they here? They can't really take over or colonize the planet if they're just one-shot parasites. Maybe they're bioweapons created by an alien race to depopulate the planet, but it doesn't seem like they were dropped in large enough numbers for that.

It's interesting that the parasites themselves don't even know their mission or origin, if they even have one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Light Gun Man posted:

It's interesting that the parasites themselves don't even know their mission or origin, if they even have one.

I think that's the entire point. When a dog or cat is born it doesn't go "aha, now begins the conquest of the couch. it shall be ruined!" The parasites are just organisms who have intelligence, trying to live. It just happens that they have to take over a body to live.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sindai posted:

Hmm--it's still TBA if there are a certain number of them on Earth or that a lot of them are already there but in sleep mode or something. I do wonder if they are just creatures used to takeover other planets so the real aliens can harvest resources.

Aliens are actually from Earth who wants to eliminate mankind so it can return to the it's natural state and repair all the pollution

Alder fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Aliens are actually from Earth who wants to eliminate mankind so it can return to the it's natural state and repair all the pollution

(MANGA SPOILERS)Though that's never really known for sure, just some of the parasites musings.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I think that's the entire point. When a dog or cat is born it doesn't go "aha, now begins the conquest of the couch. it shall be ruined!" The parasites are just organisms who have intelligence, trying to live. It just happens that they have to take over a body to live.

Maybe so, but they seem engineered soldiers. They have extremely high intelligence and are innately capable fighters with "built-in" weaponry to boot. And yet they lack any desire beyond survival, at the most basic level.

And yet, the parasites have vastly different self-driven motivations, judging by this episode. We have the teacher who fancies being a scientific observer of sorts, an individual who's willing to curb her eating habits drastically in order to support that endeavor. And then there's A-san, concerned only with sating his hunger and getting rid of rivals, regardless of the circumstances. But, he was willing to engage in the the teacher's "sex experiment", so he's not completely at the whim of his basic instincts, which I assume consists of hunger and survival.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Alder posted:

MASSIVE SPOILER

I appreciate the spoiler tags, but please mark that as a manga spoiler so nobody thinks you're talking about ep 3.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I appreciate the spoiler tags, but please mark that as a manga spoiler so nobody thinks you're talking about ep 3.

Sorry, I'll mark/label all my speculation posts under spoiler tags.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, please be more careful about manga spoilers. I know that this is based on a manga that has been around forever, but that almost sort of counter-intuitively makes this even more new to people given the source's relative obscurity.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zorak posted:

Yeah, please be more careful about manga spoilers. I know that this is based on a manga that has been around forever, but that almost sort of counter-intuitively makes this even more new to people given the source's relative obscurity.

I haven't read the manga so I was partially confused since I had no idea how to deal wrt to pure speculation. I'm basing off whatever theories off the anime.

Anyways, I'll it in mind for future posts.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, so Parasyte's where the (ep 3 spoilers) chair leg manga panel I've seen around is from. Good to know.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mikl posted:

Oh, so Parasyte's where the (ep 3 spoilers) chair leg manga panel I've seen around is from. Good to know.

This is probably going to happen a lot frankly, Parasyte is basically that manga everyone sees panels out of context from

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

This is probably going to happen a lot frankly, Parasyte is basically that manga everyone sees panels out of context from

That and Jojo's :v:

Edit: The pacing in episode 3 is really good. You didn't know if they had time to wrap it up or not if you weren't checking.

itskage fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 26, 2014

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I caught these on tumblr:

Anime version looks better than that live action because the shot of her face and the blood splatter make it way more dramatic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think it looks more disturbing in the movie, it's like a frog catching a fly. My friend disagrees and says it's more comical, which I can understand, but it's just really creepy to me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The movie version looks pretty bad. That CGI looks really cheap at the end there, almost like it's supposed to be a cartoon.

I mean it looks good up until that lingering shot on the closed mouth. That part just looks poorly done.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That last shot from the live action version cracks me up. I think it's the eye just boggling around. It's kinda like it went to a completely different style.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The anime one is going to have an easier time being taken seriously because when you're presented with a drawn universe, you can accept the surreality as a part of it because you're looking at a reality that's already abstracted. Live action with CG elements is going to struggle with the expectations of the audience (film has an indexical relationship with what is being filmed, and most people are subconsciously aware of that fact) and the limits of what they will accept visually or as a part of the universe they're seeing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For a start biting someone's head off is going make silly amounts of blood go everywhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the live action just looks goofy as gently caress, especially since apparently people don't bleed in that universe.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Neeksy posted:

The anime one is going to have an easier time being taken seriously because when you're presented with a drawn universe, you can accept the surreality as a part of it because you're looking at a reality that's already abstracted. Live action with CG elements is going to struggle with the expectations of the audience (film has an indexical relationship with what is being filmed, and most people are subconsciously aware of that fact) and the limits of what they will accept visually or as a part of the universe they're seeing.

Agreed, it's one of the reasons I have trouble taking live action/dramas seriously but animated series are fine with me. I'm stuck trying to recall where exactly I've seen the lead character in and how his/her acting compares to this one.

I don't even remember their names apart from there goes RDJ again...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It also matters that the lighting is really weak in the live action. The lighting from the window makes it look like they're in a pit, there's one way out, and nope, you're not escaping. The camera lingers on the tentacles flopping around for a half a second, while it disappears in the live action. What little you see in the live action is a blurry mess, you can't tell the teeth from the eyes from the tentacles.

The live actors are barely into the roles. The wife is freaking the gently caress out in the anime, she barely responds in the live action. And in the anime, there's a hint of a smile on the man's face as his face unfurls, which makes it the more sadistic and unnerving.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Phobophilia posted:

It also matters that the lighting is really weak in the live action. The lighting from the window makes it look like they're in a pit, there's one way out, and nope, you're not escaping. The camera lingers on the tentacles flopping around for a half a second, while it disappears in the live action. What little you see in the live action is a blurry mess, you can't tell the teeth from the eyes from the tentacles.

The live actors are barely into the roles. The wife is freaking the gently caress out in the anime, she barely responds in the live action. And in the anime, there's a hint of a smile on the man's face as his face unfurls, which makes it the more sadistic and unnerving.

In terms of similarity to the manga, it sounds like the movie is closer than the anime. From what I remember the wife was too shocked to really be scared, and the husband-parasite had a flat vacant look on his face like A. They're not meant to be sadistic, they're just feeding.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it looks like they're aping the manga panels, but what looks good as a still image doesn't always make sense in motion.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Phobophilia posted:

I also like how the anime version has a quick 1-2 second shot looking down the monster's throat, with lots of eyes and tentacles flailing around. Whereas the live-action version cuts away before the mouth is fully opened and then cuts to a view from the side; it just doesn't have the same kind of impact.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Heck, look at the shots they use. Medium shot, slight angle towards husband. Medium shot, slight angle towards wife. Medium shot, completely perpendicular. Completely steady pace.

The anime has medium shot for a few seconds. Then an extremely close up from the husband's perspective, and you see the shadow leaning over the wife. And then you see poo poo fly everywhere.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The live action captures the goofiness of the mange :colbert:

Anyways, it's a JP horror movie with CGI. It's gonna be a camp-fest.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I'm losing interest in this show. It just seems to get dumber and dumber.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mercrom posted:

I'm losing interest in this show. It just seems to get dumber and dumber.

Please explain because it's remained relatively consistent to me.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

My favorite part of this is the neck jiggle at the end.

Also anime is very good, and, as someone who has never read the manga, I totally look forward to what happens next.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

What's with the discoloration on his mom's arm? Was there an explanation in a previous episode that I've just forgotten, or is it foreshadowing something?

E: nevermind I watched like 5 seconds more of the episode and they talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Observe Me posted:

My favorite part of this is the neck jiggle at the end.

Also anime is very good, and, as someone who has never read the manga, I totally look forward to what happens next.

it makes the wife look like she's made out of plasticine.

• Locked thread