Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just had some smoked salted goose. It was like a goose doing a very convincing impression of a ham, except it was clearly a goose, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Pretty sure Emushka was saying that harissa isn't Chinese, not cumin.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, yeah, I see. My bad :v:

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
sorry! I'm not native in the English language...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know if purified MSG goes stale or bad?
I have a box of it sitting in my spice rack for well over a year and I have only used half of it.
Instinctively I just treat it like sugar, but does anybody have real knowledge?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Emushka posted:

sorry! I'm not native in the English language...

Nah, I just misunderstood you. No big deal.

tonberrytoby posted:

Does anybody know if purified MSG goes stale or bad?
I have a box of it sitting in my spice rack for well over a year and I have only used half of it.
Instinctively I just treat it like sugar, but does anybody have real knowledge?

It's fine.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I have a mad craving for hainanese pork chops. Any reccs on a Malaysian food blog with a good recipe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Would anyone be interested in pics of various Sichuan food with names and short descriptions to identify them? I'm collecting quite a few as I order my way through restaurant menus so I can figure out things to have again.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 2, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

yeah do it nerd

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Do eat

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Grand Fromage posted:

Would anyone be interested in pics of various Sichuan food with names and short descriptions to identify them? I'm collecting quite a few as I order my way through restaurant menus so I can figure out things to have again.

This would be the greatest thing that ever happened.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Absolutely, do it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

:justpost: If it sucks, we'll let you know.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Serious Eats has two articles about Sichuan food that are along the same lines:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/08/what-is-sichuan-szechuan-chinese-cuisine.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/08/what-to-eat-sichuan-chongqing-best-dishes.html

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

No pressure or anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well I'm not going into exhaustive detail, just associating picture/name/basic description. Here's the first few.

This is gong bao ji ding 宫保鸡丁, aka kung pao chicken. Quite a bit better than the American version. Usually about 1/3 of it is dried chili peppers, plus chicken/peanuts/garlic/green onion/ginger and Sichuan peppercorn.

Two vegetable dishes. The top right is yu xiang qie zi 鱼香茄子, fish fragrant eggplant. Fish fragrant (yuxiang 鱼香) is a pretty common type of sauce here, I'm not sure why it's called that since there's no seafood involved and it doesn't smell like fish but whatever, it's good. Savory with a sourness and a little bit of spice.

The bottom one is dry fried green beans, gan bian si ji 干扁四技. Lots of Sichuan pepper in that, the green beans are fried until the skins blister, with some bits of meat, green onion, garlic, and ginger.

This I'm pretty sure is a kind of hui guo rou 回锅柔, which is twice cooked pork. This one has potato in it. A basic hui guo rou is any cut of pork, this place uses thin pork belly, cooked twice (not sure exactly how this works, I assume boiled then fried) with green onions and garlic with a sauce that uses fermented black beans.

One of the oddest Chinese foods I've had, this is suan ni bai rou 蒜泥白肉, which means mashed garlic boiled pork. It's made with not terribly fatty pork, cooked and served with little chopped garlic shoots, cilantro, and a sauce that I wish I could describe but is nothing like anything else I've had in Chinese cuisine, has good heat to it too. Also, it's served cold. It actually reminds me a lot of some sort of northern Italian cured meat dish, except with cilantro. It's worth trying if you ever see it.

Two different versions of yu xiang rou si 鱼香肉丝, fish fragrant pork. Another classic like kung pao chicken. It's the same sauce as yuxiang qiezi, with strips of pork and strips of lettuce stem.

I have some non-Sichuan food too. This is Hui stuff, zi ran niu rou gai jiao fan 孜然牛肉盖浇饭. Beef with cumin and vegetables fried together, then served on rice. Not that great to be honest, but they didn't use nearly enough cumin. It could be done better.

Pork with green pepper strips, qing jiao rou si 青椒肉丝. Straightforward, meat and bell peppers cut in strips and stir fried with green onion, garlic, ginger, and a vinegary sauce.

More Hui, I cannot remember the name of this but it's a type of gai jiao mian, 盖浇面, stuff on noodles. This is beef plus carrots I believe, I ordered it randomly and can't find it on the menu.

And another kind of Hui 盖浇面, you're noticing a pattern. The sauce is sort of a gravy, it has a beef base and is thickened with cornstarch, then spiced with star anise, cumin, and not sure what else. Quite good. This one is green pepper noodles with fried beef, qing jiao chao rou gai jio mian 青椒炒肉盖浇面.

And these are Tibetan, I don't know the names. The first is a fried bread pocket full of yak, the dumplings are yak with a sauce that tastes exactly like a generic salsa, and the stir fry is yak, green onion, and cabbage. Yak is amazing.

Edit: Started reading those Serious Eats articles and lol at this:

quote:

Constant spitting, which plagues parts of urban China, is thankfully almost absent from Chengdu (the capital city of Sichuan Province)

He must've visited a different Chengdu than the one I live in.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 3, 2014

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's called fish flavored because they use that sauce to mask the fishy taste of seafood.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bamhand posted:

It's called fish flavored because they use that sauce to mask the fishy taste of seafood.

Are you sure? I've never seen it used with seafood.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
To be honest, I haven't much either but it's what I've been told growing up. Vinegar and ginger goes with seafood. There are some internet sites that agree though wikipedia doesn't say anything about it.

I will say the traditional dip for crab in China is minced ginger and vinegar. That's basically the taste I think of when I think crabs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Digging around I think you're on the right track, the basic flavors of yuxiang are similar to common seafood seasonings and that's where the name's from. The only mentions I see of seafood are specifically saying yuxiang isn't used with fish.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's called fish flavor because it's a sauce originally used for seafood.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's called fish flavor because it's a sauce originally used for seafood.

Good luck getting seafood in Sichuan :laffo:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Excuse me but my fish covered with peppers and peppers and peppers differs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

It's pretty common? I expected it to be rare too and have been surprised how normal it is. It's not everywhere like Korea but there are probably five seafood places within a reasonable walk of my apartment, which is in the middle of loving nowhere. And the grocery stores have an impressive variety of seafood, much better than Korean stores. Cheaper than when I was living literally next to the ocean, too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm extremely hungry at work and these pictures are causing that open pit in your stomach that only delicious pictures/smells of food can do.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Pocketfull of Yak. Best band name ever.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Those Tibetan dumpling things are called momo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's pretty common? I expected it to be rare too and have been surprised how normal it is. It's not everywhere like Korea but there are probably five seafood places within a reasonable walk of my apartment, which is in the middle of loving nowhere. And the grocery stores have an impressive variety of seafood, much better than Korean stores. Cheaper than when I was living literally next to the ocean, too.

Saltwater fish or freshwater fish?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Saltwater fish or freshwater fish?

I'm not a good fish identifier but definitely both, there are saltwater and freshwater ones I recognize. I'm not sure which is more common around here. They're mostly live so no freshness issues.

I checked out Chinese Walmart and they had a bunch of stingrays.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I've had yuxiangkaoyu(鱼香烤鱼) before. It's a type of wushankaoyu(巫山烤鱼). So my bet would be freshwater.

Speaking of, I don't think there is any Sichuan dish better than broiled fish. It's a whole fish, cut in half and laid flat with the skin facing up. It gets broiled with a salt, sugar, and spice rub on the skin. It's then served on top of cabbage, meatballs, wood ear mushroom, tofu skins, lotus roots, potato noodles, and comes swimming in Chili oil. They garnish it with plenty chilies, onions, and whatever else.

Also, don't be a scrub and get the lovely grass carp version, get the Chinese catfish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you know the characters for broiled fish and catfish? Nothing at the fish restaurant seems to translate, my usually reliable Pleco poo poo itself and produced nothing but nonsense when I was trying to go through the menu there.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you know the characters for broiled fish and catfish? Nothing at the fish restaurant seems to translate, my usually reliable Pleco poo poo itself and produced nothing but nonsense when I was trying to go through the menu there.

Broiled fish is 烤鱼, at least in Beijing most places will advertise that they have 巫山烤鱼. It's a type of ChongQing food, so if you can find a ChongQing restaurant, they are sure to have it. But just keep your eyes open, most restaurants that have live fish at the entrance will have this dish.

Grass carp is 草鱼 which isn't a bad fish, but it has a a lot of bones.
Catfish generally is 鲶鱼 which is the generic term for it. There are a lot of different types, typically more expensive.. These are usually coming from specific rivers. For example, the place I always go to has 清江鱼 a type of catfish from a river in Hubei.
Snakehead fish 黑鱼 is another type of fish common. I've never had this cooked this style before.

Protip, install a hover-over Chinese dictionary in Chrome or Firefox and get on https://www.dianping.com. It's the Chinese version of Yelp.

http://www.dianping.com/search/map/category/8/10/g4473
Here is a map of fish places in Chengdu, you can scroll and zoom in and it will refresh the restaurants on the map. So just zoom in to where you usually eat and look for 4 and 5 star places in your price range.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 5, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

How can I train myself to like Sichuan peppercorns again? I used to love them but then I got really sick one time about 3 years ago after eating Sichuan and they kinda freak me out still.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I know Kenji is pretty well regarded by GWS, but I want to throw this recipe up here. I like this Kung Pao Chicken more than any I've had in a restaurant. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/how-to-make-takeout-style-kung-pao-chicken-kenji-recipe.html?ref=title

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

How can I train myself to like Sichuan peppercorns again? I used to love them but then I got really sick one time about 3 years ago after eating Sichuan and they kinda freak me out still.

Hypnotherapy?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry, I guess that was a weird post on my part. I'm a little sad about it because everything always looks delicious and I used to love going to Sichuan food so much :sigh:
I'll probably just keep trying though the numbness makes my brain freak out every time I feel it.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
What would be a good substitute for peanuts in Kung Pao Chicken if I must avoid them due to allergies?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sashimi posted:

What would be a good substitute for peanuts in Kung Pao Chicken if I must avoid them due to allergies?

Just peanut allergy or all nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I just ate a packet of chinese pickled vegetables and looking for a recipe online, found all manners of warnings about possible contamination and toxicity.

I live in Germany and our food controls are usually pretty strict for imported foodstuffs, so i can hardly imagine they'd allow highly polluted food to be imported and sold.

What's your take on the issue- is there seriously such a high risk involved with buying pickled veggies made in mainland China?

Should I try and stick to buying products made in Taiwan?