Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I found that today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

That map is glorious, but it doesn't highlight the region's main attraction:

Pantsless Paradise.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Senso posted:

I found that today:

So where do I get one of these

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I miss this. It's on the wall of an icecream shop on the main strip of Luang Prabang. Mediocre icecream but drat. Just... drat. And almost no one notices it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Just wanted to give my two cents about having the shits. I got a terrible stomach infection on Murder Island like two years ago and because I'm not a big fan of people overusing antibiotics, I tried fixing it with yoghurt, gatorade and bananas. Usually, that'll fix me in about 24 hours. But this one was just something else and after two-three days of the shits, I eventually caved in an got myself a cure of antibiotics, which fixed me up almost instantly. The drug I used was called ciprofloxacin and you can get it from most pharmacies without a perscription, at least in Thailand. However, my the shits strain was so bad, that I ended up getting the shits in the same way after my 5 day cure was over and I had returned home. Getting hold of ciprofloxacin in my country was a lot more of a hassle and about 10 times the price, so if you ever find yourself in my shoes, pick up two packs but try to avoid using the second one if you can. Still tho, that stuff was magical.

Other places I've had the shits but fixed myself with rather less radical treatments include: An overnight train in China, deep in the borneo jungle and during an 8 hour hike on an abandoned part of the great wall of china. Last one was definately the "best" one :)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

prinneh posted:

poo poo.

There is a type of gastro infection that often hits people in less developed areas. It's not just the shits... it's more like totally exploding. The line is where you're vomiting as well. The travel clinic I used before I left were awesome, and hooked all of us up with three doses of the antibiotics to treat it. I saw a couple teachers come down with it and was grateful to have my own protection while they had to suffer Lao clinics.

Then I managed to pick up the bug on the way home and spent my first night back in my own apartment mostly on the floor of my own washroom. I was afraid I'd just vomit the tablets back up, but figured I had three goes to get it right. Worked the first time, and settled things down pretty quickly, though I was exhausted and sleeping about 12 hours a day afterwords for a week. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, and I've spent more time in ERs than most people I know. I was insanely grateful to not need a hospital, which I would have without those antibiotics.

I really suggest asking docs to hook you up before heading to SEA.

Also as a note for anxiety disorder folk--benzos are dead easy to find. Sublingual fast-dissolve benzos (Ativan SL) is impossible.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

prinneh posted:

Just wanted to give my two cents about having the shits. I got a terrible stomach infection on Murder Island like two years ago and because I'm not a big fan of people overusing antibiotics, I tried fixing it with yoghurt, gatorade and bananas. Usually, that'll fix me in about 24 hours. But this one was just something else and after two-three days of the shits, I eventually caved in an got myself a cure of antibiotics, which fixed me up almost instantly. The drug I used was called ciprofloxacin and you can get it from most pharmacies without a perscription, at least in Thailand. However, my the shits strain was so bad, that I ended up getting the shits in the same way after my 5 day cure was over and I had returned home. Getting hold of ciprofloxacin in my country was a lot more of a hassle and about 10 times the price, so if you ever find yourself in my shoes, pick up two packs but try to avoid using the second one if you can. Still tho, that stuff was magical.

Other places I've had the shits but fixed myself with rather less radical treatments include: An overnight train in China, deep in the borneo jungle and during an 8 hour hike on an abandoned part of the great wall of china. Last one was definately the "best" one :)

Cipro is what they gave us in Peace Corps. The important thing to keep in mind if you're using cipro is that it flushes all of the microbes in your gut-- the good with the bad. So what we did was to take the cipro for 3 or 5 days, and then take a course of pro-biotics to restore the good stuff. You may want to do some research to find out if there are probiotics available to take in conjunction with it whenever you go to the pharmacy for the stuff. I wonder whether your follow-up shits had anything to do with that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I once went a month with some kind of URI thing that cleared up two days after I started antibiotics. It's good to not abuse them and create superbugs but give yourself a break -- if your shits are really bad or last for more than a day go ahead and start Cipro in my not-a-doctor opinion. Unless your shits are considered really bad because you're a loving wuss instead of them actually being bad, in which case htfu.

Common antibiotic mistakes:
-Not finishing the course. You do not stop taking them when you feel better. This approach is much more likely to breed resistant strains and very likely to cause a recurrence of your infection. The pharmacy should be able to tell you what the course is and it varies, but in the absence of this info please continue to take the same antibiotic at the same dose for two days after you're feeling 100%. IMO if you finish your course on the same day you feel better you should go get more and keep at it for two more days -- your immune system isn't a perfect indicator of when to stop but it's better than a catchall span from Medscape or whatever.
-Different antibiotics work better on different bugs, even barring resistance. Google "antibiotic for X" before going the pharmacy in SE Asia. You'll probably get Yahoo answers pages where you can see what people have been given your various complaints. If your first antibiotic doesn't work you should try another one but some don't play well together (others actually synergize) so either wait two days before starting the next one or talk to someone who knows better. Doctors are cheap in SE Asia so don't grind away on Google too much, just go see one.
-On the last day of your course you should start taking a probiotic concurrently with your antibiotic and continue taking it for a few days. I would suggest you buy it in pill form at a pharmacy but if that isn't an option real active culture yogurt is better than Yakult, and Yakult is better than nothing.

If you're coming back to :911: consider getting some antibiotics to bring back with you. Check the expiration dates before you buy them. If you're returning to an actual first world country don't worry about it.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 31, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Azithromycin works very well with bacterial shits in SE Asia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
CDC suggests cipro as the first line antibiotic (or other fluoroquinolones). Cipro is also generally cheaper than a zithropak.

If your diarrhea resists cipro you should see a doctor. Bacteria isn't the only possible cause, and long lasting cases are often from bonafide critters like protazoa or giardia which require different tx.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Isn't it a little embarrassing that Candy Land in Nana Plaza is so prominent on Google Maps? This is like really zoomed out where the only other explicitly marked thing is Bangkok Hospital. Did they pay someone a lot of money or something?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Google maps marks places you have searched for

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!
We're only 1/3 way through wedding day and I've already hosed up 2x in front of everybody and possibly flashed all guests when I bent down during tea ceremony. Now posting on SA during Buddhist religious ceremony part of wedding--is that better or worse than giving teacup to wrong person during tea ceremony? =|

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahahaa.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Got another question. I'm bringing a bicycle, a big trolley bag, and a big backpack. You don't have to tell me how stupid this is, I already know. My question is, how can I get transport into town from BKK? Would all my stuff fit in a taxi, you think? Or is my only option to take the train?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Into town? Oh you mean from the airport to your 300B room thing.

Bring some rope to tie down the trunk and I bet you can find a regular cab that will give it a go. Might have to ask a few first and maybe they won't go on the meter but you can figure that out with the driver. If you've never transported a bike that way before you basically just shove it into the trunk as best you can, leaving a bit sticking out (usually the front end), then tie the trunk down so it doesn't flap around.

If the cabs won't do it someone with a truck or a songtaew will let you talk them into it with a little asking on your part.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 2, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There are van cabs that can fit a ton of poo poo, just get one of them for slightly more money

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After dating my college sweetheart for seven years, we got engaged last month! :toot: Now we are flying to her home country of Thailand this December to do an engagement ceremony over there, which is exciting but I'm nervous because it's a big trip. I was there for a month in 2010 for a post-college vacation and I'm trying to remember all the stuff I did to prepare last time. My passport is still good and I know I can get a 30-day visa over there, if I got some of the goon-recommeneded shots when I went over there last time would any still be effective today? What else am I forgetting? I can only get two weeks off to go there, if it matters.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

There are van cabs that can fit a ton of poo poo, just get one of them for slightly more money

Sheep-Goats posted:

Into town? Oh you mean from the airport to your 300B room thing.

Bring some rope to tie down the trunk and I bet you can find a regular cab that will give it a go. Might have to ask a few first and maybe they won't go on the meter but you can figure that out with the driver. If you've never transported a bike that way before you basically just shove it into the trunk as best you can, leaving a bit sticking out (usually the front end), then tie the trunk down so it doesn't flap around.

If the cabs won't do it someone with a truck or a songtaew will let you talk them into it with a little asking on your part.

Alright I'll give it a go. Thanks kids!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Got another question. I'm bringing a bicycle, a big trolley bag, and a big backpack. You don't have to tell me how stupid this is, I already know. My question is, how can I get transport into town from BKK? Would all my stuff fit in a taxi, you think? Or is my only option to take the train?
If the bike is boxed and disassembled, you should be able to make it work. Trolley bag in the trunk with the NGV tank, backpack in the front seat, boxed bike in the back with you. If the bike isn't boxed, yeah, you'll need something bigger than a taxi even with the front wheel off - unless it's a small bike.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just cycle from the airport. If you make it to the hotel you deserve to be here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Just cycle from the airport. If you make it to the hotel you deserve to be here.
Pshh, he can handle that easily. Dude rode across all of like Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam I think.

The wheels on the trolley bag might give out from dragging behind the bike, though ^__^

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

After dating my college sweetheart for seven years, we got engaged last month! :toot: Now we are flying to her home country of Thailand this December to do an engagement ceremony over there, which is exciting but I'm nervous because it's a big trip. I was there for a month in 2010 for a post-college vacation and I'm trying to remember all the stuff I did to prepare last time. My passport is still good and I know I can get a 30-day visa over there, if I got some of the goon-recommeneded shots when I went over there last time would any still be effective today? What else am I forgetting? I can only get two weeks off to go there, if it matters.

Shots last for about ten years so you should be good. If you're thinking of bumping them up for the next ten do that in Thailand when they're set to expire instead of at home and save yourself a lot of money.

If your passport is going to expire within two years think of renewing it. Visas and whatnot can get weird if your passport isn't good for another year at least, so the two years is for buffer time.

When she's back home she should try to take care of any issues with her Thai ID or getting transcripts from her college or things like that. Thai institutions barely work in person, if she has anything like that she needs to get sorted trying to do it back from the US will be impossible.

There isn't much preparation to do. Because of the junta you may want to write a pretend (or real I guess!!!) itinerary and have proof of a return or onward ticket handy in case immigration has a stick up their asses, but they usually don't.

Two weeks isn't a lot of time once you factor in Thai family stuff on her end. Maybe you can fit in a few days of actual vacation here or there. Where is her family from?

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!

C-Euro posted:

After dating my college sweetheart for seven years, we got engaged last month! :toot: Now we are flying to her home country of Thailand this December to do an engagement ceremony over there, which is exciting but I'm nervous because it's a big trip.

Congrats! Yay for more wedding chat in the SEA thread. ;) I vaguely remember your E/N thread. Hope future BIL has grown up or has limited involvement in wedding.

On our first day in Bangkok, Husband and Family Friend walked down to corner store for caffeine and got stopped by "tourist" police (2 dudes in uniform on a motorcycle?). Police asked where they were going, if they smoke, and then let them go. Really glad Family Friend's Thai is not that strong because he would've lipped off to police and Husband is too soft for jail. lol

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

PennoyerNeff posted:

Hope future BIL has grown up or has limited involvement in wedding.
This is hilarious because I don't even need to know to know, heh. I got lucky with a very nice and responsible brother in law, but the stereotype of the worthless brother in the family is not at all unfounded.

My longest-term expat friend recently married a really smart, nice girl here from a good family, they'd been dating for years. The brother is the stereotypical spoiled, piece of poo poo, first son Thai-Chinese kid. A few months ago, just after they got married and while she's pregnant, brother gets in a traffic accident, drunk, late at night. Of course he ends up in an altercation with the other guy, who was apparently not at fault and innocent, so he goes back to his car, gets a gun and shoots the other guy dead. Naturally, my friend, being American, is like, "kid's gotta face the music, he killed an innocent person over nothing - he's a piece of poo poo" and the family, being Thai-Chinese, are like, "we have to try to stop him from going to jail, he's family, he's our baby boy!" Not an easy thing to deal with in a new marriage with a newborn - and also a microcosm of some of the ills of trying to govern over here, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's like the replacement for the gay cousin in the US.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I am looking at traveling Vietnam for about 3 weeks in January. I'm flying in from Korea. Which is a better route? Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh? Or is it better the other way.

I plan to attempt to work my way through the country via train. I'm more of a nature, sight seeing, and locals type traveler. I like food, but I'm not a gastro tourist. I'll be going solo, so do you rec home stays or hostels?

Any other tips would be nice.

To add, I looking to see if I enjoy the country enough to teach uni or international school there after I finish my masters.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is everything a Thai Chinese thing for you reindeer?

Families in denial is actually nothing rare. It's just that people with money or living in unequal societies have more tools to get away with things.

See drunk driving murders and affluenza

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

caberham posted:

Is everything a Thai Chinese thing for you reindeer?

Families in denial is actually nothing rare. It's just that people with money or living in unequal societies have more tools to get away with things.

See drunk driving murders and affluenza

I think it's more a rich elite class rather than a racial thing. In Thailand it just happens to be that thai chinese fit in this category. Poors generally want to do the same thing when there's a gently caress up but don't have the means so "justice" inevitably triumphs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's a Thai-Chinese family, what can I say? It's like saying, "This Lebanese-American family..." When citing the two stooges set up for the Koh Tao murders should I refer to them as "the foreign suspects" or can I say that they're Burmese? Heh.

EDIT: On that note, I tried looking the other day and couldn't find any indication of their particular ethnic affiliation. I'm curious if they're Burman or Karen or what.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure Suthep does/would do the same for his kids, but I was absolutely suggesting that perhaps cultural favoritism of the first son plays a part in spoiling the poo poo out of him while your daughter is made to work and study, something I've observed over and over again among wealthy Thai-Chinese families. Traditional Thai families I can't say with as much anecdotal experience as I haven't been up close with as many extended traditional Thai families (e.g. from up country or outside Bangkok), though I have heard the "lazy brother" stereotype from people, so it may be pervasive.

Just for example, one thing that hits you coming from America is that in everything from law firms to software companies the staff are often >50% female, and also quite often like >75% female. Now you could be smug about this and switch topics to gender equality or something, but that's a canard - this is not a society run by females. There's something going on with gender there.

:iiam:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 4, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's pervasive across most of SEA from what I've seen. I used to think it was pretty cool coming here to an software office and seeing so many women and thought hey it's not a backwards shitheap and women are pretty well represented. But it's not.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

It's a Thai-Chinese family, what can I say? It's like saying, "This Lebanese-American family..." When citing the two stooges set up for the Koh Tao murders should I refer to them as "the foreign suspects" or can I say that they're Burmese? Heh.

quote:

and the family, being Thai-Chinese, are like, "we have to try to stop him from going to jail, he's family, he's our baby boy!" 

Did you see what you did there? It's not the first time but whatever.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Did you see what you did there? It's not the first time but whatever.
I see your point. It is a bit of a stereotype in my brain, I should not do that.

Failure to respect institutions and the inability to properly order society, family and self is hardly a Chinese preoccupation, that's for sure. Having most of the country's wealth concentrated among your ethnic group, though, well, that's just statistics. Of course then, it means that, more often than not, the stereotype fits.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's okay ReindeerF, I think people forget you're texan.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If I find out a family member of mine is tossing Zyklon B into schools I might privately be a little peeved but when it comes to them vs. the world I don't give a poo poo I'm still on their side. I personally find people who operate the other way to be odd / immoral but also don't really give a poo poo about that. I recognize that this is clannish and gross both in myself and in others, however I also consider people who disown family members because of X to generally be bizzare nonhuman cretins (there are probably exceptions in cases of interfamily atrocity and maybe something I'm not thinking about, but whatever).

Institutions should be constructed with the expectation that when it's them vs. family they cannot expect obeisance. Additionally, some clemency should be granted to sins committed on behalf of friends or family. This creates a situation that is more messy than a top down instution over family over self organization but at least it's not fake.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 4, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's okay ReindeerF, I think people forget you're texan.
Random anecdote. I've been employed at a number of diverse companies, on two occasions run by LGBT folks. One of those wrote "A Woman Owned & Run Company" on everything, so it was an issue of pride. I have zero issues with any of this, but it's important context. In both cases, the CEO called some of my higher level references who were clearly not originally from Texas and asked if there was going to be a problem with "social views" heh. I still crack up at that as they'd all met me, interviewed me extensively and so on.

EDIT: For thread relevance, one of the companies was Bangkok-based.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Maxsmart posted:

I am looking at traveling Vietnam for about 3 weeks in January. I'm flying in from Korea. Which is a better route? Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh? Or is it better the other way.

I plan to attempt to work my way through the country via train. I'm more of a nature, sight seeing, and locals type traveler. I like food, but I'm not a gastro tourist. I'll be going solo, so do you rec home stays or hostels?

To add, I looking to see if I enjoy the country enough to teach uni or international school there after I finish my masters.

I just want to say God Bless you Merry Gentleman for being the first person in living memory to come into the thread and not say "I'm traveling with a group of seven hundred people who are X so obviously we will all do Y, what should I do when I follow them around like a lemming?"

Unfortunately I know almost nothing about Vietnam and can provide no substantive help, but that you don't have Inifinty Pool concerns has been a bright spot on my forums day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
New thread video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paje4OUcPm0

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I must atone for my sins. Go watch this, it's excellent:

http://theactofkilling.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Maxsmart posted:

I spent five months in Vietnam, across the whole country. People who went north to south usually hated Vietnam, people who went south to north loved it. So I guess start in Saigon. People generally hate Hanoi, with reason. But the places outside Hanoi are great.

For nature and locals, Sapa should be first on your list, but in January it will be cold and damp. About half the shops in town are north face shops because people don't prepare for the weather. Still totally worth it. Just don't be those guys who got off the bus and said, "gently caress it's cold, I only brought sandals and no warm clothes in my daypack.". Lots of hiking and chatting with hill tribe people who speak better English than any other people in Asia. The whole area around there is cool, but it will be cold in January, just remember. Last year there was even snow!

The train is cool because the route it takes is mostly through rice paddies and stuff, more back woodsy than the busses that take the main roads. I don't know about sleeper cars, I just had a seat and while it was ok, I wouldn't recommend trying to sleep in it. Overnight busses are very common, if you don't mind missing the scenery on the way.

Hostels are of course good to meet other travelers and go do adventures with them, but if you can do some home stays try and do that. Vietnamese people have good hospitality if you're a friend rather than a customer, and a home stay is a situation I think they'd treat you more like a friend.

I wrote another post about Vietnam a bit ago too. Really the highlights are Sapa, halong bay, and the juice stand in Saigon.