Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Hey all, I have pretty bad ADHD and ain't much of a reader but I'd like to get back into it.

I'm looking for some Western/Country/Southern books. Can be set in pretty much any time period. The type of book that would be perfect to read when you're out camping under the stars chewing tobacco and drinking cowboy coffee type stuff. Similar to Lonesome Dove, but at the same time relatively not dense and easy to read. Any suggestions boys?

Why not go back to the wellspring of the Western genre: Owen Wister's The Virginian.

(I also really want to recommend Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage, but it's a more complicated book and it might not be for you if you want something simple.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Selachian posted:

Why not go back to the wellspring of the Western genre: Owen Wister's The Virginian.

(I also really want to recommend Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage, but it's a more complicated book and it might not be for you if you want something simple.)

I love Zane Grey, I read him a lot when I was younger.

Maybe something a bit more dark? Think like No Country For Old Men, as a separate recommendation as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

The other big one I'd suggest taking a look at is Shane. Probably the single greatest straight-up classic western novel.

At some point I want to re-read Louis L'amour's The Haunted Mesa. It's a weird sortof western/sf/fantasy? hybrid thing that I read when I was a kid and that's sortof floated in my subconscious ever since.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

I love Zane Grey, I read him a lot when I was younger.

Maybe something a bit more dark? Think like No Country For Old Men, as a separate recommendation as well.

Blood Merridan by Cormac McCarthy. Your that weirdo death/rape fetishist so you would probably like it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

Blood Merridan by Cormac McCarthy. Your that weirdo death/rape fetishist so you would probably like it.

Sweet thanks. Is this one part of a series or a stand-alone book?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just read The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England and loved it. It's a tour of how life was like in 14th century England, exploring everything from justice to medicine to marriage to commerce. I'd like to read a similar book on ancient China. Any recommendations?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Kvlt! posted:

Sweet thanks. Is this one part of a series or a stand-alone book?

Stand alone.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Baron Bifford posted:

I just read The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England and loved it. It's a tour of how life was like in 14th century England, exploring everything from justice to medicine to marriage to commerce. I'd like to read a similar book on ancient China. Any recommendations?

It's not an exact analogue, but Shogun is apparently quite historically accurate and gives you a real feel for 16th century Japan. It's also a super fun story.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That's an old TV show, right? I might look into it, though I've seen too much of feudal Japan. I want China now.

I've been watching a Chinese-made show called Three Kingdoms, detailing the life of Cao Cao. I was struck by the mannerisms, speech, and body language of the characters; the way they talk, move, curse, weep, and tremble. To a Westerner like me, they feel strange and unnatural. Did Chinese people in those days really talk and move like that, or is this some sort of theatrical style?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Baron Bifford posted:

That's an old TV show, right? I might look into it, though I've seen too much of feudal Japan. I want China now.

I've been watching a Chinese-made show called Three Kingdoms, detailing the life of Cao Cao. I was struck by the mannerisms, speech, and body language of the characters; the way they talk, move, curse, weep, and tremble. To a Westerner like me, they feel strange and unnatural. Did Chinese people in those days really talk and move like that, or is this some sort of theatrical style?

Shogun is a book that was made into a mini-series

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

atrus50 posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend any novels about marketing? Stuff like william gibson's Blue Ant stuff

Lighter in tone, but Jennifer Government is in that space.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Baron Bifford posted:

From what I can tell, they mainly just shout and then kill 1650 guys without taking any damage.

Source: Dynasty Warriors

(judging by the quite excellent Red Cliff movies, which are based on the same book - Romance of the Three Kingdoms - its half accurate representation of the period around the end of the Han Dynasty, and half bad acting. Also, ROTK is an amazing story, if oft-confusing)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What're some good books to read about domestic life at the turn of the last century? I'm thinking in the vein of Ingmar Bergman's Fanny & Alexander - sprawling, homey, detailed. They don't have to be Scandinavian but I do enjoy that area (see also: the earlier chapters of Roald Dahl's Boy describing his times in Norway, or Tove Jansson's The Summer Book).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What're some good books to read about domestic life at the turn of the last century? I'm thinking in the vein of Ingmar Bergman's Fanny & Alexander - sprawling, homey, detailed. They don't have to be Scandinavian but I do enjoy that area (see also: the earlier chapters of Roald Dahl's Boy describing his times in Norway, or Tove Jansson's The Summer Book).

For a comedy history book, Bill Bryson's At Home: A Short History of Private Life is pretty good. It's funny but also seems fairly well researched. It also focuses on 19th and 18th century British life, iirc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh, yeah, I love that book, Bill Bryson is great. I guess another book I'm thinking in terms of is James Joyce's The Dead. I don't even know if this is a real type of story but anything with families and food and domestic stuff is just really interesting to me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kvlt! posted:

Hey all, I have pretty bad ADHD and ain't much of a reader but I'd like to get back into it.

I'm looking for some Western/Country/Southern books. Can be set in pretty much any time period. The type of book that would be perfect to read when you're out camping under the stars chewing tobacco and drinking cowboy coffee type stuff. Similar to Lonesome Dove, but at the same time relatively not dense and easy to read. Any suggestions boys?

Warlock by Oakley Hall is an awesome book. Also you may want to look into Elmore Leonard's westerns (he has some great short story collections too).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kvlt! posted:

Being a sufferer myself, I recommend audiobooks if you can afford them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've just finished reading all of the Deathstalker books, and the Daemon/Freedom two parter by Daniel Suarez. Really liked the Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs books, Finch by Jeff VanderMeer, Snow Crash/Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson and everything William Gibson.

Looking for more similarly schlocky but entertaining sci-fi/cyberpunk/techno thriller stuff to read on lunch breaks.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Also everyone suggesting Blood Meridian as an easy to read book is cruel. You should still read it though, it's brilliant and utterly brutal.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Recommend me a book for getting involved in politics, specifically with campaigning or getting into an elected office of some kind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Love Stole the Day posted:

Recommend me a book for getting involved in politics, specifically with campaigning or getting into an elected office of some kind.

Primary Colors - by Joe Klein (while fictional is suppose to be pretty close to what happen in the Clinton campaign I guess, and a very easy read)

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72' and Better Than Sex: Confessions of a Political Junkie - both by Hunter S Thompson

Game Change - by John Heilemann (Obama vs. McCain)

To step it up some (books that go beyond campaigning)...

Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America and Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus - both by Rick Perlstein

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - by Naomi Klein

500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars - by Kurt Eichenwald

Anything by Noam Chomsky

I don't read much political stuff, but I've enjoyed all of the above (I haven't read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72', but I thought it might be worth a look).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kvlt! posted:

Here you go: https://www.goodreads.com/book/similar/3281465-lonesome-dove

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Have you read A People's History of the United States by Zinn? You should do that if you haven't.

Then dig a shallow hole and put your dreams of affecting meaningful change in politics inside, fill it in, and walk away forever. Maybe go live in a yurt and be good to your children and environment, slowly making the world a much better place than you would have if you ever participated in modern politics.

Though also seconding The Shock Doctrine.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anyone got books with amoral protagonists? Like not above kicking a puppy if they were getting paid enough. Thinking about people like Jorg from the Broken Empire books. Preferably sci-fi.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Brainamp posted:

Anyone got books with amoral protagonists? Like not above kicking a puppy if they were getting paid enough. Thinking about people like Jorg from the Broken Empire books. Preferably sci-fi.

The Flashman series. Not sci-fi but otherwise exactly what you're looking for.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Paul McCauley's Quiet War had some POV characters that are like this.

Alasteir Reynolds' Chasm City has a protagonist that definitely fits this mold.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Brainamp posted:

Bio of a Space Tyrant (don't read this)

Mission: Earth (also don't read this)

e:
The Collector. Not sci-fi, but several orders of magnitude better than the two above.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 8, 2014

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Flashman series. Not sci-fi but otherwise exactly what you're looking for.

This. Also, the Parker novels by Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake), although they're not sci-fi either.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Selachian posted:

This. Also, the Parker novels by Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake), although they're not sci-fi either.

I'll second these. Super fun reads.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just finished Cloud Atlas, and I'm looking to read another David Mitchell book in the future. Which one would you recommend and why?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Solitair posted:

I just finished Cloud Atlas, and I'm looking to read another David Mitchell book in the future. Which one would you recommend and why?
If you enjoyed the sheer scale of Cloud Atlas and the multiple POVs, you should check out Ghostwritten.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
The Bone Clocks also has different POV characters/time jumps and begins in the past and ends up in the future. I started Ghostwritten last night because now I'm reading everything David Mitchell ever wrote.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Recommend me some books about extinction. I prefer information about the things that have gone extinct rather than the process itself. I just finished A Gap in Nature by Tim Flannery and it was equal parts interesting and incredibly depressing and I crave more.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sanford posted:

Recommend me some books about extinction. I prefer information about the things that have gone extinct rather than the process itself. I just finished A Gap in Nature by Tim Flannery and it was equal parts interesting and incredibly depressing and I crave more.

David Raup's book Extinction would be your first step. Edit: wait about things extinct. Hmm. Perhaps Richard Dawkin's Ancestor's Tale or one of several books by Donald Prothero?

Tim's a pretty incredible guy and more of his books would also work.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
For my money, Black Swan Green is the best David Mitchell book. It's a simple coming-of-age story about a British boy in the 1980s. It has a few ties to his other books (Hugo Lamb is the character's cousin, and someone from Cloud Atlas shows up) but it's great just by itself.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chamberk posted:

For my money, Black Swan Green is the best David Mitchell book. It's a simple coming-of-age story about a British boy in the 1980s. It has a few ties to his other books (Hugo Lamb is the character's cousin, and someone from Cloud Atlas shows up) but it's great just by itself.
Yeah, it's really good. One of the POV characters in Ghostwritten is in it as well - Neal Brose (guy in Hong Kong).

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Any books about finance/the economy I can read? I don't know anything about finance (like at all, what even is a 'long' or a 'short') so I'm interested in reading both introductory finance-y books and books about the history of Wall Street or recent financial problems and stuff like that. I'm currently reading Too Big To Fail by Sorkin, which I find interesting so far even though some of the stuff goes over my head (I suspect that I should have gone into the book with a little more knowledge about the 2008 financial crisis/Bear Stearns/Lehman Bros).

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 13, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Akarshi posted:

Any books about finance/the economy I can read? I don't know anything about finance (like at all, what even is a 'long' or a 'short') so I'm interested in reading both introductory finance-y books and books about the history of Wall Street or recent financial problems and stuff like that. I'm currently reading Too Big To Fail by Sorkin, which I find interesting so far even though some of the stuff goes over my head (I suspect that I should have gone into the book with a little more knowledge about the 2008 financial crisis/Bear Stearns/Lehman Bros).

I thought When Genius Failed was good, also My Life As A Quant.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Akarshi posted:

Not really a book per se, but if you're enjoying reading about finance but find some of the concepts and terminology difficult, you might want to check out http://www.investopedia.com/ as they have basically everything you could want to know there written in a very easily understandable manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I'd like some books to help a friend of mine build her vocabulary, and to help get her more interested in reading. This person is a little shy of fifty. She is not unintelligent by any stretch, but she's had a kind of lovely life with very little exposure to literature or culture beyond a high-school education. I think she will attempt to read almost anything if I promise to read it, too. I don't want anything seriously dense, but I want it to hold some challenge for a person like the one I described.