Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Not sure why her being vegetarian is of note. I'm irish for full disclosure purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Cross postin from D&D pictures

Yeah I know South Korea isn't SEA but gently caress it.

So sayeth the most Irish of Asians.

Barring the pleasant demeanor and literary giants, I mean.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Chantilly Say posted:

I envy you if teachers at your school get paid enough to feasibly support someone else.

Not really, which is why the girls inevitably leave or find a second boyfriend. This all leads to a bitter man sitting at a teacher's desk screaming that all Thai women are whores.

Sometimes they complain about rice, too. It's pretty hilarious.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What's wrong with rice?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Food is subjective, and as you age you become less adventurous with what you eat.

Hence why my coworkers bring instant noodles when they go to Italy for work

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I like indomie but now it's name is different and it scares me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

Food is subjective, and as you age you become less adventurous with what you eat.

I once heard complaints from a Thai assistant to a foreign director of a school or something that every morning the franag director would make him go buy tofu soup for breakfast and then take all the tofu out. So it was then pork meatball soup.

Every day.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

caberham posted:

I feel a lot of 'traditional' Asians are notoriously poo poo at being adventurous with food, despite eating some of the strangest poo poo on the planet. For example, my mum would gladly eat cat and dog prepared the right way but won't eat raw salmon and pass on the spaghetti and meatball.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The difference between Asians not eating Euro/American food and Europeans and Americans not eating Asian food is that Asian food is objectively far superior to most European and American food. :frog:

That being said, it is really :lol: how unwilling old Koreans are to try "new" food. I'm convinced that the only reason lovely Korean restaurants in small towns often visited by Korean tourists can continue to exist is because they are visited by Korean tour groups. For old Koreans: good Korean food > lovely Korean food >> Chinese or other Asian food >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other food.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As much as I love various Asian cuisines, they're collectively pretty loving poor in variety if you don't count Indian. I mean look at the gamut we run in the West from German to, say, Jamaican or Mexican, and then look at the amazing gap between Thai and Chinese or Korean and Filipino. Yeah, sure, there's variety, but it's still heavily dominated by "slap some poo poo on rice or noodles and call it a day." I say this as someone who loves a shitload of Asian food and tries to learn to cook more and more of it. They don't even have a pre-colonial history of baking here for gently caress's sake!

With that said, I think Chinese (all variants) and Thai have joined Japanese among the great cuisines of the world, which used to be all French, Italian, etc. Korean is about as diverse and interesting as Korea itself, but I like it once in a while. Korean is like the Swedish of Asian foods. They do a couple of good things, but every dish is made of meat/fish and potatis in Swedish. Vietnamese I'm on the fence about. It's awesome the first few times you eat it then you're like, "Oh wait, this is all they have."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 6, 2014

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm kinda confused that you think Korean food is not diverse. I am doubly confused because then you say Japanese food is great. We can fight about it when I get embarrassingly drunk with you next week. Anyway, anything good in Japanese food isn't really Japanese - it's all stolen from Korea. (JUST A LITTLE ASIAN JOKE FOR YOU THERE!)

And even if Asians don't have a pre-European-colonial history of baking, I don't know that this means that it lacks variety - chili peppers are also new to Asia (i.e. the dirty white man brought it over) but Asians have done some truly awesome things with 'em, for instance.

Also, I don't count Mexican as Western or American. Mexican is its own kind of awesome.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Korean is about as diverse and interesting as Korea itself, but I like it once in a while.

That made me laugh. (because it's true)

ReindeerF posted:

Vietnamese I'm on the fence about. It's awesome the first few times you eat it then you're like, "Oh wait, this is all they have."

If you say that, I'd say the same about Thai food? Sure the staple is rice with pork or beef on it or the pho but with distinct different north/center/south cooking and a variety of meats (turtle, goat, dog, whatevs) and styles (THANK THE FRENCH), I would definitely say it's varied. That said, I also knew a lot of Viets who were perfectly fine at eating com suon (rice and pork chop) every loving day, forever, and would recoil at the idea of western food.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, Mexican food either is or isn't Western or American depending on how you define "Mexican," "Western," and "American."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

That made me laugh. (because it's true)

If you say that, I'd say the same about Thai food? Sure the staple is rice with pork or beef on it or the pho but with distinct different north/center/south cooking and a variety of meats (turtle, goat, dog, whatevs) and styles (THANK THE FRENCH), I would definitely say it's varied. That said, I also knew a lot of Viets who were perfectly fine at eating com suon (rice and pork chop) every loving day, forever, and would recoil at the idea of western food.
Traditional Thai food, going back like 500+ years, I gather was just chili paste and vegetables. The stir fry comes from the Chinese, the curries from the Burmese and Indians and so on. Here's the thing, Vietnam in 2014 has had its run of foreign influences and even if you re-include the royal cuisine that was salvaged after the post-Communist (real communist, not titular) era, it's down to rice dishes, soups, roasted meats and dumpling-ish things. There's no curry, there's not really even stir fry. There's not a hint of anise and peanuts and all the things that come up from the Malay archipelago and Muslim influence, nor is there the spicy poverty influenced "holy poo poo that's hot" meat/salad culture of Laos. The baking culture is better for sure, but it's entirely French, it's not integrated massively - you get bread with some meat smeared on it. I like Vietnamese food, it's good, but it's very limited and anyone saying otherwise inevitably clings to a couple of favorites which make up 10% of the entirety of the cuisine. It'd be like me saying, "Thai food isn't boring, look at chicken with basil and Massaman!" except that in Vietnam there's no Massaman equivalent.

EDIT: Actually the baking culture is integrated a bit, but not impressively. Those papadum-like Vietnamese breads they use with other ingredients are okay, but nothing to write home about.

Chantilly Say posted:

Well, Mexican food either is or isn't Western or American depending on how you define "Mexican," "Western," and "American."
It's gonna be Western either way. I don't think you can call it American, but it's definitely been heavily absorbed - as has American in Mexico. That's what happens when you're looking at the gamut between Portugese influence on Sichuan on the one hand and Spanish influence on traditional Mesoamerican on the other.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 6, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

There's no curry, there's not really even stir fry. There's not a hint of anise and peanuts and all the things that come up from the Malay archipelago and Muslim influence, nor is there the spicy poverty influenced "holy poo poo that's hot" meat/salad culture of Laos.

Vietnamese do a lot of ca ri ga (chicken curry). Of course it's not genuine Viet food, it's adapted but it's still very common and adapted in many ways. They also have many stir-fry dishes. They do put peanuts in a lot of dishes. They may not have anise but they use dozens of different greens, like mustard and varieties of basil and tons I just don't know the names. They also have strange/unique dishes like kho quẹt (super-thick sauce made of fish/shrimp and tons of sugar and chili and black pepper and salt).

Along with baking, there's a lot of stuff adapted from colonial era and from neighbors and that's all right - it's what Viet cuisine is now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I've had the Vietnamese "ca ri" it's not remotely. It's closer to the laard na we have here - a gooey mess of brown stuff with some noodles and chicken in there.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
And it's delicious, with good banh mi. :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's like calling Campbell's Chunky Soup curry, heh.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Their ca ri might not be real curry but I stand by Vietnamese food diversity!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Will that be chicken or pork!?"

"Oh beef, how exotic!"

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

"Will that be chicken or pork!?"

"Oh beef, how exotic!"

1) if you know what kind of meat you're eating, leave the restaurant and walk back the way you came, since you have obviously somehow left Vietnam.

2) I had no idea Pangolin could be a food, but in Vietnam, it can.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My addition to the Asian food thunderdome will be to say that Thai people can't fry a loving egg right and it pisses me off! :bahgawd:

With that said I haven't had one of those little fermented pork sausages in like a decade because I forgot to get one the last time I was in Thailand and it pisses me off! :asianbahgawd:

raton fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 6, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

My addition to the Asian food thunderdome will be to say that Thai people can't fry a loving egg right and it pisses me off! :bahgawd:
My husband and I fight about this ALL THE TIME. His idea of scrambled eggs and mine are so divergent the kids have taken to calling his version 'papa eggs' and mine 'mama eggs.'

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Admittedly, Thai omelettes can be good in their own way once you get used to them, but a nice fluffy plate of sacrambun egg Western style is definitely better, yeah. I taught myself to make Thai omelettes a few months ago and the recipe is hilarious by Western standards. It starts with like, "Drown the pan in oil and fish sauce..."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1) Bring a full gallon of palm oil to a galloping hideous boil.

2) Look at that egg. What a motherfucker. Son of a bitch egg.

3) What does the egg deserve? Do what is right Somchai! PUNISH THE EGG

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

a nice fluffy plate of sacrambun egg Western style is definitely better

Wrong again.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Wrong again.
Look, we all know you were subjected to German food for the last couple of years, but once the pain wears off you'll remember who you are.

Ein yolk, ein reich, ein fuhrer.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
In Saigon, at the little cafe we used to eat lunch, we had to show the owner/cook that when making sunny side-up eggs, you don't need to wait until the yolk is completely and fully cooked and the white is like rubber. She probably thought we were crazy for liking eggs that are a bit runny.

VVV Ah yeah, definitely.

Senso fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Same poo poo with leaving the beef red.

"But it's not cooked!"

/ferments fish guts

E: ^^^^ as someone vaguely French I'm sure this egg trauma has been especially hard on you

eviljelly posted:

Wrong again.

Bronn stepped up for a chance at financial gain. What interest do you have in defending the ugly vicious runt that is an overcooked Asian egg dish?!

raton fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 6, 2014

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Soggy scrambled eggs are an abomination

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like my eggs so wet. You'd be furious. You'd shake. I'd gobble down wet eggs like a red furred modern day resident of the Neander valley. Your eyes would slim to the width of a wasp's leg. Oh yes.

Oh my! I seem to have slopped a bit of gooey egg onto my chin!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Just slurp your eggs raw, you monster.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like looking at the menu at mediocre Chinese restaurants. They won't even do the thing that Thai restaurants do where they'll have a single entry and just list the meats they can cook it with, like "Red curry with pork / chicken / beef". Instead you'll get a single entry for each slight variant as if they're genuinely different dishes and not the exact same thing.

1. Kung Pao Beef
2. Kung Pao Chicken
3. Kung Pao Pork
4. Sweet and Sour Pork
5. Sweet and Sour Fish

etc.

This is true regardless of if you get the Chinese menu or not. In fact, most Chinese menus are just written on the wall directly without pictures and any given restaurant will really only have about a dozen dishes, the majority of which are, "x noodles". The thing is, you don't need pictures because everyone already knows what everything is because there just aren't that many choices.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I remember trying to read the menus in China and going beef beef beef beef beef chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken lamb lamb lamb lamb lamb dumpling dumpling dumpling dumpling dumpling without any idea of what the three characters before each of the listed meats meant.

I like the lamb character.

eviljelly posted:

Just slurp your eggs raw, you monster.

I'm not Japanese baka

raton fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 7, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

I remember trying to read the menus in China and going beef beef beef beef beef chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken lamb lamb lamb lamb lamb dumpling dumpling dumpling dumpling dumpling without any idea of what the three characters before each of the listed meats meant.

I like the lamb character.

Honestly nothing. Most restaurants only have one specialty and they just switch the meat. The characters are just saying the one dish they know, almost always soup, noodles, or fried rice.

羊 is cool, especially since it gets used in 美, which is goat + big (大) to mean beautiful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

It's gonna be Western either way. I don't think you can call it American, but it's definitely been heavily absorbed - as has American in Mexico. That's what happens when you're looking at the gamut between Portugese influence on Sichuan on the one hand and Spanish influence on traditional Mesoamerican on the other.

Well, Mexico is in Latin America. :colbert:

American food!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
All this food fight slapping :suicide: TLDR: FIND A LOCAL, AND EAT LOCAL. Some restaurants are just out there to fill you up and save on costs. Especially those immigrant run places, using short cuts and all because they are just running a business.

ReindeerF posted:

As much as I love various Asian cuisines, they're collectively pretty loving poor in variety if you don't count Indian. I mean look at the gamut we run in the West from German to, say, Jamaican or Mexican, and then look at the amazing gap between Thai and Chinese or Korean and Filipino. Yeah, sure, there's variety, but it's still heavily dominated by "slap some poo poo on rice or noodles and call it a day." I say this as someone who loves a shitload of Asian food and tries to learn to cook more and more of it. They don't even have a pre-colonial history of baking here for gently caress's sake!

With that said, I think Chinese (all variants) and Thai have joined Japanese among the great cuisines of the world, which used to be all French, Italian, etc. Korean is about as diverse and interesting as Korea itself, but I like it once in a while. Korean is like the Swedish of Asian foods. They do a couple of good things, but every dish is made of meat/fish and potatis in Swedish. Vietnamese I'm on the fence about. It's awesome the first few times you eat it then you're like, "Oh wait, this is all they have."

I used to joke about Korean food and it's lack of variety but I recently came back from Korea and have been convinced otherwise. Thanks to K-gooooons! Actually, Korean cuisine is going through a transformation right now, some of the new style restaurants are deboning fish, cooking the meat just right without over cooking things, and make some really awesome pickled kimchi.

It's micro variety and I do love the different kinds of Makgeolli.

eviljelly posted:

I'm kinda confused that you think Korean food is not diverse. I am doubly confused because then you say Japanese food is great. We can fight about it when I get embarrassingly drunk with you next week. Anyway, anything good in Japanese food isn't really Japanese - it's all stolen from Korea. (JUST A LITTLE ASIAN JOKE FOR YOU THERE!)

And even if Asians don't have a pre-European-colonial history of baking, I don't know that this means that it lacks variety - chili peppers are also new to Asia (i.e. the dirty white man brought it over) but Asians have done some truly awesome things with 'em, for instance.

Also, I don't count Mexican as Western or American. Mexican is its own kind of awesome.

I kind of agree except JAPANESE FOOD IS AWESOME. It's more like Japan has amazing ingredients and because of its ridiculous agricultural subsidies. Holy poo poo their honey dews, melons and peaches taste heavenly.

The thing with cuisine, is that the more trade the country has gone through, the different ethnicities there are, the more variety you can develop. Kimchi used to be mostly vinegar beef broth until the chilli came along. Then there's loving French cuisine, it's not inherently good, but that French cuisine has gone into great lengths to research how food is good. That's how you get all these crazy cooking terms.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My fiance can only cook curry, pad thai, and some weird from-scratch vegetable/noodle/egg soup she loves mostly because she puts a tablespoon of crushed red pepper on every bowl she eats. Granted the curry/curries and pad thai are delicious but the soup is basically boiled veggies which I just don't understand, especially since after she cooks it she will leave it sitting out on the stove for a couple days :barf:

Thai food has one thing going for it though, and that's these bad boys-

Last time I was there I ate way more of these than any sane adult should. Crispy M&Ms too, but they have those in other countries and I hear they're bringing them back to the U.S. in January?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

C-Euro posted:

she will leave it sitting out on the stove for a couple days :barf:
Hahaha, yes. My wife's cooking in a nutshell. I've never figured out how an internationally educated person thinks this is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Every single Lao menu is like that: noodle/rice, beef/pork/chicken/veg, sauce a/sauce b... except it's all listed out so the menu takes three pages. And I swear they intentionally misspell stuff to be cute for tourists. "Fried rice with beep, please.... no wait, I'll have the prok instead."

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 7, 2014