Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DrChud posted:

I think I have a princess, I can check later when I get home.

That'd be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My daughter and I were listening to Slayer and paying Duplos, when my whole world changed, I had no idea that I could connect Duplos to a Lego base plate. That is just simply amazing, I never knew that in the 20 years I have been playing with Lego.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That was a big selling point to Duplo in the 80's, they work with all the 2xWhatever bricks too.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

jeff8472 posted:

Don't have it, but pic stolen from brickset

This was the first lego set i bought as a grown up!

I really really want some of the big archetechture stuff. Why does Lego have to be so loving expensive. (I know, i know, its worth it, and my kids, and their kids, and hell their kids will all be able to use it, but still!) Like the taj mahal. God that thing is gorgeous.

Also, lego has the most random uses too. I'm on house arrest for some e/n legal stuff, and the ankle monitor is literally strapped to you with technic. I looked at the pins as they were setting it up, and thought they looked familiar, and just now busted out some technic to compare it to, and yep, indeed it is. Seems a bit silly that they'd use, y'know, something that anyone who has kids likely has the tools to pop the pins out with, but eh, i thought it was kinda cool. Definitely not an approved use of it, and i wonder if Lego knows their stuff is being used this way.

Anyone have tips on designing MoC's? I love building sets, but I struggle with MoCs and usually my 11 year old nephew manages to outbuild me. I built a basic house one day. He built a functioning handheld pinball thing (like what you find in grocery store toy aisles for like $3) in the same amount of time. I dunno if he's just really good, or I'm just really bad. I've never been super good at spatial thinking, tho.

Oh, and anyone who has the old school Lego Island game that came out for Win95? It runs on Windows 8 x64, no futzing with it necessary (i know this is better suited for SH/SC but did they do something with win8 to make old games run on it better? Vista/7 i had to emulate XP, win 8 I only ever have to emulate DOS). It's definitely very dated, especially graphics wise, and controls like poo poo in the racing minigames, but its still a fun bit of nostalgia, and if you have kids and can pick it up as :flies: or have it laying around from your own childhood, they'll probably love the poo poo out of it too, since things like crappy keyboard controls don't phase a 7 year old the way they do someone who's gotten spoiled with nothing but A-list titles.

E \/\/: i got popped for a piddly possession charge, in a state with some rather harsh drug laws. It's really nothing interesting or novel or cool, I'm afraid. Only cool thing is that they literally use a children's toy to secure the GPS anklet to you.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 11, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Shut up and elaborate on your house arrest

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Recreate your house arrest tag in a MOC.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Recreate your house arrest tag in a MOC.

...dude, its like 2 pieces, it's nothing fancy at at all. And I don't have that much black lego. Ankle strap and what looks like one of those USB power supplies for things that aren't usually meant to be powered for USB. It just clips around and is secured with technic. If I was going to build anything relating to the whole thing it would be a giant lego bong or something.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Rythe posted:

My daughter and I were listening to Slayer and paying Duplos, when my whole world changed, I had no idea that I could connect Duplos to a Lego base plate. That is just simply amazing, I never knew that in the 20 years I have been playing with Lego.

And Duplo bricks fit perfectly fine on Quatro bricks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

...dude, its like 2 pieces, it's nothing fancy at at all. And I don't have that much black lego. Ankle strap and what looks like one of those USB power supplies for things that aren't usually meant to be powered for USB. It just clips around and is secured with technic. If I was going to build anything relating to the whole thing it would be a giant lego bong or something.

Let's get some pics of the ankle monitor technic!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Let's get some pics of the ankle monitor technic!

Seriously, I am gonna stain my jorts unless I see a neat and unusual use for Technic.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

That'd be great!

Holy crap had a rough day at work that night and completely forgot. My apologies, I do have a princess, hit me up doktorchud@gmail.com

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Some guy on Bricklink is selling a 75034 without minifigs...

Sure, there is more to the set than just minifigs, but only just.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Occasionally I see stuff on bricklink that makes me say :wtf: too.

Like this seller has 103 Saruman's robes which only comes in the $200 Orthanc set. They must be a professional re-seller, but they still spent $20,600 on that one set alone. Makes my Lego budget look good by comparison.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

deoju posted:

Occasionally I see stuff on bricklink that makes me say :wtf: too.

Like this seller has 103 Saruman's robes which only comes in the $200 Orthanc set. They must be a professional re-seller, but they still spent $20,600 on that one set alone. Makes my Lego budget look good by comparison.

There's a whole thread of things like that at eurobricks, those parts aren't coming out of the sets but rather PAB or directly from the factory or whatever.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Huh, I would have thought that the license contract would have prevented them from selling the unique pieces individually like that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/83016

Someone posted this in the Cvilization: Beyond Earth thread. Seems cool.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Target black friday:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Ohgodohgod I hope Canada gets some good Black Friday deals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, my Target has recently doubled their Lego section size. Two joined aisles instead of one. Now it has dedicated sections for Friends and Creator. Guess it's selling well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I caved and got some of those Lego City "Arctic" sets, and now I'm kicking around ideas for making backpack flamethrowers for the minifigs for the inevitable 'The Thing' diorama I'm going to make. I figured I'd bounce my ideas off you guys and see if you had better ideas.

connected to...

by way of...

and capped with...

And then flame on the end.

My biggest concern is that the hose will be too long and it'll be all over the place. I've been eyeing the backpack nozzle thing that comes with the Hazmat minifig:

The problem with that one being that I don't think I could connect flames to the end of it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What hose piece do the proton packs for the ghostbusters use? A whip? Not at home right now so I can't look at mine. There are also some pieces of string with a stud on either end, can't remember what set they're from but snow speeder Luke is hanging off the bottom of my AT-AT by one right now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dogen posted:

What hose piece do the proton packs for the ghostbusters use? A whip? Not at home right now so I can't look at mine. There are also some pieces of string with a stud on either end, can't remember what set they're from but snow speeder Luke is hanging off the bottom of my AT-AT by one right now.
Here's an image of the proton pack and the hose, I've got no idea what part that is. Is it a part that's specific to the Ghostbusters set? Because that would make the part prohibitively expensive on its own, I think. :(

Edit-- some internet research tells me it's a black whip piece.

Edit again-- looks like the black whip piece is new to the Ghostbusters set, so I'd have to go with either a brown or white one.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 15, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Xenomrph posted:

I caved and got some of those Lego City "Arctic" sets, and now I'm kicking around ideas for making backpack flamethrowers for the minifigs for the inevitable 'The Thing' diorama I'm going to make. I figured I'd bounce my ideas off you guys and see if you had better ideas.

connected to...

by way of...

and capped with...

And then flame on the end.

My biggest concern is that the hose will be too long and it'll be all over the place. I've been eyeing the backpack nozzle thing that comes with the Hazmat minifig:

The problem with that one being that I don't think I could connect flames to the end of it.

Admittedly there are some connections you can't do in LDD but, apart from the nozzle with shaft and scuba tanks, none of those parts connect together.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They should, though, right? - turn the grey piece around so the skinny end plugs into the hose, plug the long end of the black nozzle into the other end of the hose, and then plug the other part of the nozzle into the bottom of the air tank.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 15, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Xenomrph posted:

They should, though, right? - turn the grey piece around so the skinny end plugs into the hose, plug the long end of the black nozzle into the other end of the hose, and then plug the other part of the nozzle into the bottom of the air tank.

The inside of the hose is solid in LDD and I don't have any physically to check.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Luminaflare posted:

The inside of the hose is solid in LDD and I don't have any physically to check.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you I guess? (I think I am)

Either way, the whip piece seems like a smarter choice.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Xenomrph posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you I guess? (I think I am)

Either way, the whip piece seems like a smarter choice.

You are. I mean there's no hole to slot the rods into.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Supposed mold for Hot Dog Man from the next series. I will be buying a lot of duplicates of this, if it's real.

Hey what are you feeling that bag for? "I'm looking for a weiner"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DrChud posted:

Supposed mold for Hot Dog Man from the next series. I will be buying a lot of duplicates of this, if it's real.

I'm going to convert the ice cream cart outside the Grand Emporium and have this dude shilling for it.

Speaking of modular's the next one is confirmed for January, is supposedly two buildings with an alleyway and has a bar on the ground floor of one building with a detective agency on top. The other building is a barber shop/apartment combination. It's also supposed to be blue, yellow and orange in colour.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 16, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to convert the ice cream cart outside the Grand Emporium and have this dude shilling for it.

Speaking of modular's the next one is confirmed for January, is supposedly two buildings with an alleyway and has a bar on the ground floor of one building with a detective agency on top. The other building is a barber shop/apartment combination. It's also supposed to be blue, yellow and orange in colour.

There's some UK event for VIPs soon where they'll be showing that and the UCS slave 1 off. Can't wait!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

There's some UK event for VIPs soon where they'll be showing that and the UCS slave 1 off. Can't wait!

Is that what's happening at that? I'm going but I don't know what to expect. They mentioned sales.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is that what's happening at that? I'm going but I don't know what to expect. They mentioned sales.

I've not had anything about that come to me. Does anyone know if the Manchester store is taking part?

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

DrChud posted:

Saint's Row lego diorama here I come

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is where I got it from: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-brick-friday-deals/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DrChud posted:

This is amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Currently sorting through my entire Lego collection and putting them into better storage containers, since the big plastic drawers they were in weren't airtight and thus bugs and dust got in them. Plus I can divvy them up by part type and such now. Once I'm done I'll probably throw the entire lot of stuff I want to get rid of for sale here for anyone interested, it'll likely be 50-100 pounds of Lego at this rate. Probably not the best condition since a lot of it's from my childhood collection, but hey, sometimes folks want mass old Lego(lots of classic grey pieces, though there's lots of yellowing, the reason they changed the formula in the first place).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I have a massive tub of old lego that I'm thinking of selling. It's all pre-bley '90s and '00s stuff with a whole lot of classic castle and space pieces too. Would I be best off selling it with seperate lots of classic light and dark grey, or is it not really worth piecing it out like that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want the most bang for your bricks, separate the classic space and castle pieces out and sell them as lots. There's a bunch of pieces that simply did not exist outside of classic space, for example. Lots of the big trans-pieces and such.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How does the official Lego shop usually treat unreleased sets appearing in the store?

I see that the UCS Slave-1 is available in the US store, and it has been available in the past on the Norwegian store but it no longer is. When going to the kit's page on the US store and changing region to the Norwegian one it says this product is not available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Holy poo poo.