Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subyng posted:

Couldn't jongbum have moved his king back to the middle to defend? That's what I was screaming at him to do
I believe it was Hyunmin's move. If he moves forward and Jongbum moved to the middle to defend, Hyunmin can take Jongbum's king with his own like he ended up actually doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, it was frustrating to watch him take it badly, but to be fair, if the producers placed you in a rigged game where a majority of 5 just chose which two players to throw out, and there was nothing you could do to stop it, you'd be grumpy as well.

I really doubt MENTALITY KING would have reacted that way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Running With Spoons posted:

I guess he could've gone down on his knees, cried, and begged the other team to pick Hyunmin instead of him for the deathmatch (the Yohwan strategy).

He got himself to top 2 with that strategy. :colbert:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Kangra posted:

I really doubt MENTALITY KING would have reacted that way.

He wouldn't have realized what was going on.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

b0lt posted:

Also there would never be a situation where 5 people decided he was one of the two who had to lose no matter what.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

b0lt posted:

CeeJee posted:

Also there would never be a situation where 5 people decided he was one of the two who had to lose no matter what.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but the episode where he earned the name Mentality King was the one where he and one other player were basically forcibly eliminated by the rest of the group. He obviously knew what was going on but instead of sulking like Lawyer Kang he just rolled with it. Just like I was hoping Dongmin would do.

Running With Spoons posted:

Uh? I don't understand, do you mean Dongmin should've said "Choose me for the deathmatch and I'll betray Hyunmin by choosing him as my death match opponent"? That's ridiculous.

I was saying more something along the lines of "Hey guys, I see what you are doing. You are obviously doing this to both me and Hyunmin. I get that it's because we've been close and dominating the last two games. I'll tell you what... help me and I can make him think I am working with him 100%. If we don't eliminate him this round I'll at least work against him next game too"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeonseung sucks so much

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I think Dongmin exaggerated his reaction because he comes from a variety background and knows what makes for entertaining TV.

He would also never betray Hyunmin, stop talking nonsense

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Dongmin chose to be an honorable man who accepted his fate while remaining entertaining throughout, instead of being, for example, Yeonseung

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

I think Dongmin exaggerated his reaction because he comes from a variety background and knows what makes for entertaining TV.

Yeah he's a variety comedian, he hammed it up and was serious about 0% of the time.

He's been "outraged" in every single episode, it's his variety show character for this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Subyng posted:

Couldn't jongbum have moved his king back to the middle to defend? That's what I was screaming at him to do

He could have, maybe. If he did, then Hyunmin's General takes his Man (not a great move, but Hyunmin probably would've tried to pressure him or something). He'd presumably capture the General at that point, but it would've been too little too late. Hyunmin's King can still move across one and maybe Jongbum would've played the General in the centre of his territory (the Smart Move in this scenario) to force Hyunmin's king to retreat. He wouldn't be able to capture the General, Man or move into Jongbum's territory.

...Really, that would've been a good play but, yeah, as mentioned the only problem with it was that it was probably Hyunmin's move with the board in that setup anyway.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 19, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dongmin chose to be an honorable man who accepted his fate while remaining entertaining throughout, instead of being, for example, Yeonseung

Instead of being...I dunno graceful but not particularly entertaining.

i don't get what your beef with mentality king is

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I know it's been plugged a bunch already in this thread, so this is news to nobody, but I love how Idiotape's 11111101 acts as a soundtrack to this show.

For example, the first 30s of this song ends up in like every single episode, after what I assume is a commercial break, during the main game rules summary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5JVMrgkpOw

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Rules summary is actually Sunset Strip. They sound alike though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-WZT6xEU2o

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You sure? I'm flipping between the embeds and Bandage Sniffer right now (S2E5, 21:19 in) and it sure sounds like Toad Song.

Maybe they use them both.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dragonatrix posted:

He could have, maybe. If he did, then Hyunmin's General takes his Man (not a great move, but Hyunmin probably would've tried to pressure him or something). He'd presumably capture the General at that point, but it would've been too little too late. Hyunmin's King can still move across one and maybe Jongbum would've played the General in the centre of his territory (the Smart Move in this scenario) to force Hyunmin's king to retreat. He wouldn't be able to capture the General, Man or move into Jongbum's territory.

...Really, that would've been a good play but, yeah, as mentioned the only problem with it was that it was probably Hyunmin's move with the board in that setup anyway.
Yeah, it was Hyunmin's turn. Jongbum couldn't have moved the king because he'd just used his turn by placing down his "man" in the wrong spot.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonseung sucks so much

There's something I've been wondering since the first episode. When they list him as 'oriental doctor', does that mean he actually cures people, or is it the korean equivalent of sticking needles in random places and prescribing powdered dicks of endangered animals for everything?

I didn't catch what that gold stuff was that he brought a few eps back, but it kinda seems like the latter.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ahaha I was checking S2E6 for rules summary music (also Toad Song I think, 28:36 in) and saw which episode it was. DOOHEE NOOOOOOOOOO

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

There's something I've been wondering since the first episode. When they list him as 'oriental doctor', does that mean he actually cures people, or is it the korean equivalent of sticking needles in random places and prescribing powdered dicks of endangered animals for everything?

I didn't catch what that gold stuff was that he brought a few eps back, but it kinda seems like the latter.

Yeah pretty sure it's alternative "medicine".

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, eastern medicine is not exactly rooted in science. That being said, it's not all fairy tales, there are most likely certain herbs or roots or whatever that do have medicinal properties.

About Dongmin, I understand that as an entertainer, his personr.on the show is probably hammed up for the sake of being entertaining, but sometimes it does feel like a bit of his true inner rear end in a top hat is coming out. Of course it's hard to tell without knowing the subtleties of the language, plus the translator's choice of words, plus the editing, but his jabbering this episode did come off to me as not so...dignified? Also he was just straight up mean to Ahyoung this ep. Like yeah, I get that he scolds her for laughs but he actually called her a terrible players when he said something like, "do you think you'd actually be able to win a black mission?".

V: that is hilarious though

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Dongmin shows the cast hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Obxic5xGzc

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

What a monster

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That was absolutely brutal, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

How can the producers allow this level of abuse on set :psyduck:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they allowed a man to break down crying on the floor

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm gonna be real sad if Ahyoung and Dongmin don't end up together outside the show :3:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

The Genius - Lets All Die Today

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dongmin and Ahyoung forever :swoon:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked this week's death match so much that I tried to write some very simple AI to find good moves and I was like "whoa this is really easy, I'm pretty sure it's getting close to the optimal moves here" and then suddenly the games became this:

code:
gle
.c.
.C.
ELG

gle
.C.
ELG

gl.
.e.
ELG

gl.
.e.
.L.
E.G

g..
le.
.L.
E.G

*first player resigns*
:suicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm sorry, what? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I'm sorry, what? :psyduck:
His code sucks.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The squares are the board. One player's pieces are capital letters the other are lowercase. Dots are empty spaces.

I think his conclusion is that if you make the same opening move that was done in the show then you automatically lose no matter what?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I forgot to mention that I'm using wikipedia's notation for the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Dbutsu_sh%C5%8Dgi

I have no idea why the first player resigned instead of just capturing the opponent's lion and win the game and I'm way too tired now to figure this out now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I thought that this variation of the game was simple enough that it had already been "solved", meaning playing an AI is the same as playing an AI at Tic-Tac-Toe. It's impossible to win if you go first.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
But that's if you make only the most optimal move, right? How many different permutations are there?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, if I recall correctly, if you run enough simulations, you can defeat a computer in Tic-Tac-Toe, and also prevent Thermonuclear War as well.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
They pick the strangest choices of music for this show. While Jongbum is seeing his cards for the Black Mission, until the end of his timer for memorizing them, they are playing the music from a menu lobby in Titanfall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3vcmylGus

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

CapMoron posted:

They pick the strangest choices of music for this show. While Jongbum is seeing his cards for the Black Mission, until the end of his timer for memorizing them, they are playing the music from a menu lobby in Titanfall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3vcmylGus

I'm pretty sure that they have also used the score from the movie trailer for Little Children a few times this season. They also used a bunch of Django songs in the first season, used the score from Now You See Me last season, and have been borrowing from The Grand Budapest Hotel this season.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I wish more media had the ability to just use whatever the hell they want for music like the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is there a youtube playlist somewhere of the music they use for the show?