Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

My main concern is that the adult cat, who we adopted from a local animal shelter, was de-clawed by the previous owner. We are not planning to de-claw the kitten, so eventually when their sizes even out the adult cat will be at a disadvantage when it comes to defending himself. Is this something that I should try to intervene with now, or should I let them try to work it out themselves? We've literally only had the new kitten in our home for two weeks now, so I may be worrying over nothing.

You can help by getting a trimmer (human nail clippers suck for this, get the kind where the claw goes through a little ring, makes it fast and easy and therefore uneventful) and keeping the kitten claws from being too sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Real kitty nail clippers is a great idea too! When I finally quit using fingernail trimmers, poo poo got way easier for me and the cats.

Nuebot posted:

So my cat fractured his hip and screwed up the cartilage. Still not entirely sure how, most common guess is that he fell off something because he's not especially graceful. It's a bummer since it happened right around holiday season and right when we had some family visit from Canada, so money's tight. But hopefully everything pulls through.

I was mostly wondering what kind of impact I could expect the surgery and recovery to have on him long-term.

You got kinda caught at the end of the last page.

My experience with a cat and pelvic surgery is pretty bad. I don't know much about what to expect in an average or good outcome. Best of luck to you and the little guy. :ohdear:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah, I'm actually kind of worried about it because when I was younger we had a cat that got mauled by a dog and it messed up his hips. Fast forward a few years and his hips were so bad we had to get him put down because he couldn't even use his litter box without being in complete agony, just moving hurt the poor thing. So from what little I've experienced about cats and their hips, it doesn't look good.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

That's a relief, thanks! And yes I play with the little bugger every chance I get, so I will stay the course for now.

You should also get in the habit of clipping the kittens nails now so there is a smaller discrepancy in weaponry when they play later on.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Will do, I'm planning to pick up a set of kitty-clippers next grocery run, which will be soon since he's eating all of the food.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, I'm actually kind of worried about it because when I was younger we had a cat that got mauled by a dog and it messed up his hips. Fast forward a few years and his hips were so bad we had to get him put down because he couldn't even use his litter box without being in complete agony, just moving hurt the poor thing. So from what little I've experienced about cats and their hips, it doesn't look good.

If you have any worries, you should really talk to the surgeon about it. They've seen the x-rays, developed a plan, and have much more experience with this stuff and what kind of recovery to expect.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gorgar posted:

You can help by getting a trimmer (human nail clippers suck for this, get the kind where the claw goes through a little ring, makes it fast and easy and therefore uneventful) and keeping the kitten claws from being too sharp.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I would recommend against guillotine clippers and go for the scissors style ones; they're just way easier to work with.

Both are way better than human nail clippers though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got one of those battery powered rotary trimmers, the ones with the grinding head you touch their claws with to file them down quick. It's really great at scaring the gently caress out of my cats and if they see me even touching it, they will run and hide.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey, I should probably go to the vet but I want to ask first because things seemed to have worked themselves out and I really can't afford the vet on my own (my girlfriend has the bank account savings to deal with it more than I do).

I was playing with the cat with a small toy on a stick. You know classic stick, string, object deal. I'm positive that in one of my movements her and I miscalculated and she bumped her eye. She immediately wandered off and pawed at it. When I got a look it was closed and it seemed like she was having trouble opening it.

Cue panic for about 10 minutes as I try to reach my girlfriend and try to figure out what to do. Do I go to the friendly pet shop people or straight to the vet? How the hell do I get the cat in the carrier that it instinctively dislikes? Is she ok or not?

Then I look at her, her eye's open and she seems fine and is asking me to start playing again.

Whenever I look online for Cat Eye problems I keep coming up with infections and the like not things on physical injuries.

Cats must surely be able to hurt their eyes physically like we do, when we bump it or get something in them right? And they're able to self correct that with ease like we can after a bit of time. Still despite everything being completely back to normal should I still go to the vet?

Thanks.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I take a 37.5mg Effexor twice per day for migraine prevention. My cat (about 11lbs, stupid tuxedo) finally managed to get one while I was in the bathroom. I was able to get about half of it away from her but she ate the rest. After a quick Google I found out that this can be very toxic to cats. How worried should I be about her ingesting half of the pill? Is this an emergency vet call or a sit and wait it out kind of deal? :ohdear:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Night Danger Moose posted:

I take a 37.5mg Effexor twice per day for migraine prevention. My cat (about 11lbs, stupid tuxedo) finally managed to get one while I was in the bathroom. I was able to get about half of it away from her but she ate the rest. After a quick Google I found out that this can be very toxic to cats. How worried should I be about her ingesting half of the pill? Is this an emergency vet call or a sit and wait it out kind of deal? :ohdear:

I have no idea, but if it's that toxic, I personally wouldn't wait it out.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

After taking a quick Google around on the subject, I think you should be calling the emergency vet right now.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey, I should probably go to the vet but I want to ask first because things seemed to have worked themselves out and I really can't afford the vet on my own (my girlfriend has the bank account savings to deal with it more than I do).

I was playing with the cat with a small toy on a stick. You know classic stick, string, object deal. I'm positive that in one of my movements her and I miscalculated and she bumped her eye. She immediately wandered off and pawed at it. When I got a look it was closed and it seemed like she was having trouble opening it.

Cue panic for about 10 minutes as I try to reach my girlfriend and try to figure out what to do. Do I go to the friendly pet shop people or straight to the vet? How the hell do I get the cat in the carrier that it instinctively dislikes? Is she ok or not?

Then I look at her, her eye's open and she seems fine and is asking me to start playing again.

Whenever I look online for Cat Eye problems I keep coming up with infections and the like not things on physical injuries.

Cats must surely be able to hurt their eyes physically like we do, when we bump it or get something in them right? And they're able to self correct that with ease like we can after a bit of time. Still despite everything being completely back to normal should I still go to the vet?

Thanks.

Your cat is probably fine; they can be pretty durable to things like knocks and things like accidentally having their tail or feet stepped on etc

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Shnooks posted:

These cat toys by Yeowww! are amazing. My cats are also immune to catnip and don't care about anything unless I'm moving it for them, but they always stop in their tracks to kick the poo poo out of these toys. We have the banana, the lemon, and an imitation one called the "Dynanip". The banana is super floppy from being kicked to poo poo now.

It says catnip toys but don't be fooled, they must put like dead mice or something inside of them because cats go loving crazy for them.

Initial report - cat seems to like them. Will claw it and play with it and gets those crazy eyes but he's not addicted to it like my last cat could have been. He has no problem wandering away and meowing at me. So far I think it's a success since he will grab/bite at it no matter when I throw it at him. To a cat that is affected by catnip, I imagine it puts them into a crazy catnip coma

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Your cat is probably fine; they can be pretty durable to things like knocks and things like accidentally having their tail or feet stepped on etc

I figured as much. Things were fine she fell asleep. But now, just now her eye is shut again. I can't see what's going on with it but I'm going to check. She was just grooming herself next to me, licking her fore-arm and running it over her eye (the right one). I feel like she's knocked a lid out of the way or something I'm not sure.

It's open again but seems... more moist? I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if something is off.

edit: It may be swollen and she's having trouble keeping it open. About a month ago it had been infected. We did eye drops and all that and it cleared up. Again I don't think it's a bacterial thing but rather a physical injury if anything. I'm going to take care to a vet or someone. Something's not right and I certainly can't fix it.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hope you called an e-vet; it can be fine but you need to act fast.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080809104003AAXhvmI
may just be administering activated charcoal to help absorb poo poo, keep an eye on your cat's heart rate and make sure it doesn't exceed 220 bpm

For future reference, I found this link; may be worth putting in the OP.
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Her eye seems fine again. But this see-sawing back and forth drives me mad. I'd take her but I'm having a hell of time getting her in her traveling case. How does one go about doing that?

Danith
May 20, 2006
Stand it on-end and drop cat in?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wrap cat in blanket, put cat burrito in carrier.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Thanks for the replies, I took her to the vet. No symptoms yet. They're gonna give her activated charcoal and IV fluids, keep her all day for observation and possibly overnight. Glad I asked about it.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Leaving the carrier to sit out where they can see it or get in it makes it less "new and terrifying" of a thing that only comes out during bad stuff happening. My cats do not care at all about getting put in the carrier and I don't even leave it out anymore.

They still scream bloody murder in the car though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Her eye seems fine again. But this see-sawing back and forth drives me mad. I'd take her but I'm having a hell of time getting her in her traveling case. How does one go about doing that?

Put the carrier on a chair, so she's got nowhere else to go but in the carrier.

Going butt-first will help, too.

What always works for me is to pick up the cat while she's in a deep sleep. Then she's too groggy to worry about the carrier I'm placing her in until it's too late.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Danith posted:

Stand it on-end and drop cat in?

I ended up doing this. The carrier's out in the open. I think we need to get used to one another yet (only been like 7 weeks). I ended up going to the local vet, who charges an arm and half, and while I'm broke for the rest of November, I found out what was wrong with her.

She did in fact impact her eye with a toy. It was reddish. I ended up getting some drops to make sure it won't get infected (probably an unnecessary precaution). Of course, putting the drops in is hell. The same eye, right after we got her from the shelter, was legitimately infected and that was a horrible situation for everyone. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry but I am not looking forward to the eyedrops again...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

CompactFanny posted:

Leaving the carrier to sit out where they can see it or get in it makes it less "new and terrifying" of a thing that only comes out during bad stuff happening. My cats do not care at all about getting put in the carrier and I don't even leave it out anymore.

My cats like using their carriers as cosy caves, but they have a sixth sense for occasions when I actually need them to be in the carriers(they can probably sense me stressing out) and get very skittery. Going butt-first into a top-loading carrier certainly helps; I have a lovely long scar on one of my fingers from panickedly trying to force Loki into his carrier when we were moving house almost two months ago - I tried dropping him in paws-first which was a horrible, horrible idea. Nowadays we roll him into a little ball(he likes being held like a big fluffy baby) and pop him in with a minimum of stress and injury.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I use top-opening carriers. Despite cats being masters at resisting this (seriously, I think all cats must train in wing chun to avoid being crated), both types I've used have actually been easier than the standard front door carrier. One I have just has a single one-way swinging door up top and the other actually has a double-door that opens up and then you clamp it shut. I toss a dirty undershirt in whenever I put a cat in, and they seem to be alright. No shirt? They cry and cry.

Danith
May 20, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

They still scream bloody murder in the car though.

I got a soft sided pet carrier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015AFZZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it's really nice, but after going to the vet twice in it, if I leave it out the cat chews and claws on the mesh part at the front and back and started to make holes in it :(

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Update on Dumbcat - after IV fluids and two rounds of activated charcoal, she's fine. Has to take 5 days of meds to make sure all of the Effexor gets out of her system, but she's cuddling her toes happily in her chair again.

Bonus cat tax:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Do cats need to warm up before exercising/playing? Sometimes when I use DaBird with my cats, they go absolutely bonkers. Running like crazy and jumping high into the air. I know for humans going from sitting on your rear end to heavy activity like that could result in a pulled muscle. Anyone ever heard of something like that with cats?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So the cat got herself bitten a couple of weeks ago, without us really knowing, except that she became more and more lazy and didn't mind us petting her, so something was obviously up, so we took her to the vet and found out. There she got a fancy plastic collar (which she of course hates), and some kind of bodysuit. She also refuses to poop while wearing the collar, and that ended up with her becoming constipated, and even an enema didn't help. Untill we took of the collar. Then she filled up her litter box like there was no tomorrow.

Today I woke up to finding the house empty, except for the cat, and her without the collar, and with her bodysuit halfway off. I can only guess that my parents had removed the collar so that she would poop, but the bodysuit has to stay on, so she won't get to the wound and lick it and what not, and I just can't get that bloody thing back on her. Any tips to how? She gets frantic whenever I try to put her paws through the front part, and if I lift her up, she becomes even worse, biting and clawing.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Datasmurf posted:

So the cat got herself bitten a couple of weeks ago, without us really knowing, except that she became more and more lazy and didn't mind us petting her, so something was obviously up, so we took her to the vet and found out. There she got a fancy plastic collar (which she of course hates), and some kind of bodysuit. She also refuses to poop while wearing the collar, and that ended up with her becoming constipated, and even an enema didn't help. Untill we took of the collar. Then she filled up her litter box like there was no tomorrow.

Today I woke up to finding the house empty, except for the cat, and her without the collar, and with her bodysuit halfway off. I can only guess that my parents had removed the collar so that she would poop, but the bodysuit has to stay on, so she won't get to the wound and lick it and what not, and I just can't get that bloody thing back on her. Any tips to how? She gets frantic whenever I try to put her paws through the front part, and if I lift her up, she becomes even worse, biting and clawing.

Where's the wound? Why is she wearing a body suit? Is it like a dog shirt or something? How long ago was the wound treated?

I'm trying to figure out if she really needs to wear it or not.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Do cats need to warm up before exercising/playing? Sometimes when I use DaBird with my cats, they go absolutely bonkers. Running like crazy and jumping high into the air. I know for humans going from sitting on your rear end to heavy activity like that could result in a pulled muscle. Anyone ever heard of something like that with cats?

That's a really good question. I'm going to say most likely not and that they kind of go at their own pace. Certain dogs will go ham sandwich and wake up the next day sore, but I think cats are pretty good at taking care of themselves.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Wound is on her stomach, near her mammaries. She's wearing the body suit (not sure if that's the correct word, English is not my first language, you see), so that the bandage will keep in place, and she won't lick at the wound. Wound was treated on Tuesday, and the vet told us to keep her in the body and the collar for 10 days.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Datasmurf posted:

Wound is on her stomach, near her mammaries. She's wearing the body suit (not sure if that's the correct word, English is not my first language, you see), so that the bandage will keep in place, and she won't lick at the wound. Wound was treated on Tuesday, and the vet told us to keep her in the body and the collar for 10 days.

Oh that makes sense then. Yeah she should probably wear it :( Do you have a place you can kind of corner her into? Like back her butt up in the corner of the couch or the chair? I would back her up into the corner and while you're facing her try to slip it on that way. If you don't want to get bit or scratch try finding something heavy duty, like work gloves or warm winter gloves. It'll help a bit. If you can have someone to help you hold that's even better.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

So the cat got herself bitten a couple of weeks ago,

What bit her? It sounds like the beginning of a horror story.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is there any such thing as an automatic cat food feeder that doesn't suck? We're going out of town for a few days, and we're wondering if we could do so without hiring a pet sitter.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Well, I found some jeans and one of my old leather jackets, and my motor cycle gloves and helmet, and begged / forced her into it without harming her.

As to what bit her, I guess it was one of the other cats in the neighbourhood. She gets into fights with them all the time over her territory. Since she doesn't really live here (she just spend weeks here while my youngest sister is busy with exams, work or is driving a lot from her home and to the place where her boyfriend works, or over here, or what have you), the other cats in the neighbourhood moves into her territory whenever she goes home for a months or two, and then it's catfights all over when she comes back and finds some big, old pussy has moved into her spots.

We chase the other cats away when we see them, since it's enough with one cat slouching in the furniture on the porch or on top of the garbage can, but still.

Also, my sister's cat mostly loses the battles. Sure, she wins now and then, but it's mostly her that comes scratching at my window to get me to let her in so she can lick her wounds and lay down in my recliner feeling ashamed of herself. And now and then she gets some nasty wounds which get infected.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Datasmurf posted:

Well, I found some jeans and one of my old leather jackets, and my motor cycle gloves and helmet, and begged / forced her into it without harming her.

As to what bit her, I guess it was one of the other cats in the neighbourhood. She gets into fights with them all the time over her territory. Since she doesn't really live here (she just spend weeks here while my youngest sister is busy with exams, work or is driving a lot from her home and to the place where her boyfriend works, or over here, or what have you), the other cats in the neighbourhood moves into her territory whenever she goes home for a months or two, and then it's catfights all over when she comes back and finds some big, old pussy has moved into her spots.

We chase the other cats away when we see them, since it's enough with one cat slouching in the furniture on the porch or on top of the garbage can, but still.

Also, my sister's cat mostly loses the battles. Sure, she wins now and then, but it's mostly her that comes scratching at my window to get me to let her in so she can lick her wounds and lay down in my recliner feeling ashamed of herself. And now and then she gets some nasty wounds which get infected.

Sounds like letting her out when that keeps happening is a ridiculously bad idea then? Just throwing that out there.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, it is, but she is a Norwegian forest cat (not really sure what the English name for that species is, so I just translated it directly from Norwegian), and she's also always trying to get out. Especially these days when she's not allowed.

What bothers me most are the sounds she's making when she wants to go out. Like she's calling upon Satan or something. Spooky.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, it is, but she is a Norwegian forest cat (not really sure what the English name for that species is, so I just translated it directly from Norwegian), and she's also always trying to get out. Especially these days when she's not allowed.

What bothers me most are the sounds she's making when she wants to go out. Like she's calling upon Satan or something. Spooky.

If you're going to keep letting her out then you need to stop letting her in, especially if you're not disciplined enough to control any behavior. You're not really helping and it basically just sounds like you're a pit stop for a feral cat. Also, a cat's "breed" is just about meaningless in attributing anything to its behavior unless it's an actual wild cat species.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Datasmurf posted:

"Yeah, it is, but she is a 4 year old, and she's always trying to eat ice cream. Especially these days when she's not allowed to eat it all the time.

What bothers me the most are the sounds she's making when she wants ice cream. Like she's calling upon Satan or something. Spooky."

Just don't let her out. You are an adult human. Its not that hard, I promise. And it keeps your cat from being mauled to death or mauling other animals to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
But if the cat stays in, somebody might actually have to put some effort into training/playing to burn extra energy!