Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I guess my concern with the original ending is that EoE wraps up the story in a much more cohesive manner. I'll absolutely be showing both, but I guess I'm mostly concerned about which tells the overall story better? And I feel a bit like that might be EoE.

The answer is still emphatically "both." Linearity is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
WHy are people so obsessed with skipping the last two episodes. just watch them, jesus

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

WHy are people so obsessed with skipping the last two episodes. just watch them, jesus

Because the last 2 episodes are going to leave most newcomers with "... what?" or "that's it?"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Watch last 2 eps, wait a year month, THEN watch EoE. :v:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

UberJumper posted:

I just saw this (it is an extra from the manga release), it is about Mari...

http://imgur.com/oTyq8F1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JQHSBCh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5uRLWEh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K8Pjg2n.jpg

Is that Mari with Shinji's mom?

:psyduck:

finally a reason to not think shes just some piece of poo poo whore

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Because the last 2 episodes are going to leave most newcomers with "... what?" or "that's it?"

...is there more, cause that's not what I'd call a convincing argument.

Watch the show!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EoE is way more open-ended and ambiguous anyways, especially if you're one of those silly people that thinks that it and the last two episodes aren't meant to be taken together.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
EOE makes exactly as much sense to me as the TV ending, it's just much prettier.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've read somewhere that the TV ending was basically Shinji's actual POV and EoE was supposed to be what everyone else was experiencing during Shinji's TV series acid trip.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wade Wilson posted:

I've read somewhere that the TV ending was basically Shinji's actual POV and EoE was supposed to be what everyone else was experiencing during Shinji's TV series acid trip.

I don't know. We see an awful lot of what Shinji experiences during Instrumentality in EoE, and the endings in particular don't sync up well.

I prefer to think of 25+26 as what Yui wanted for Shinji -- it fits with her weird, almost pathological brand of optimism in both the show and the movie, and it would explain why those episodes are framed as an unnamed outside observer describing the inner lives of Shinji, Asuka, and Misato. It also wouldn't be the first time she manifested as other people in a dream in order to try to encourage him (or less charitably, to manipulate him.)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know. We see an awful lot of what Shinji experiences during Instrumentality in EoE, and the endings in particular don't sync up well.

I prefer to think of 25+26 as what Yui wanted for Shinji -- it fits with her weird, almost pathological brand of optimism in both the show and the movie, and it would explain why those episodes are framed as an unnamed outside observer describing the inner lives of Shinji, Asuka, and Misato. It also wouldn't be the first time she manifested as other people in a dream in order to try to encourage him (or less charitably, to manipulate him.)

This or Shinji is taking notes from the Dark tower esk repeat until redeemed process and applying it to Instrumentality, hence the different trip sequences.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This is really cool.

http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~d_svoisk/shinji/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What's it supposed to do? It's just Shinji staring at me and nothing happens regardless of what I click.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Midjack posted:

What's it supposed to do? It's just Shinji staring at me and nothing happens regardless of what I click.

It plays the respective scenes from EoE inside Shinji's frame.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

HoneyBoy posted:

It plays the respective scenes from EoE inside Shinji's frame.

Yeah. It should show up something like this.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Midjack posted:

What more do you want?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Hard to believe they've finally decided to remaster it and bring it to BluRay, better late than never I guess.

It's going to cost over $500 isn't it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rebuild is finally ending and short of doing a Rebuild-style remake but in the form of a TV show, they need something to keep Eva on the market. The timing of this might also explain why Funimation hasn't picked up the license for the TV series, yet.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RZApublican posted:

Rebuild is finally ending and short of doing a Rebuild-style remake but in the form of a TV show, they need something to keep Eva on the market. The timing of this might also explain why Funimation hasn't picked up the license for the TV series, yet.

You mean all the tie-ins, all the merchandise continuing to come out, all the material books, the manga, etc isn't keeping Eva on the market? This isn't the North American side where distributors don't make merchandise; there's a lot of tie-ins with series that international fans love to ignore.

The timing of this was likely set a while ago to play off of the year. The series takes place in summer 2015, so an optimal time to release a BD box set of the series would be.......summer 2015.

The international rights for the TV series have been called back in part because Khara, as original creators, want to focus on selling the new movies (via NTV), and because the original creator rights for the TV series and old movies (from Starchild) were being negotiated between Gainax and Khara for Khara to take sole ownership for revenue outside the new movies. It made no sense to sell rights when they would have to be negotiated again with additional partners.

I too am looking forward to seeing Funimation/Viz butcher these masters with their inability to handle dark colors from the Japanese side.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I mostly meant "on the market" in the sense of there being a new (or at least remade) major thing. I am aware of the tie-ins and merchandise, but aside from Rebuild there hasn't exactly been anything new Eva-related in theaters or on TV. Maybe if one of the spin-offs like the Raising Project manga got a TV show there would be that, but there hasn't been new TV since the 90s, and aside from remastering the original show I don't know what they will do to get something that high profile out now Rebuild is winding down.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eva was still pretty popular after EoE and before the Rebuilds started, so I think it will do just fine for a long time. Not everything needs a constant stream of new material.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RZApublican posted:

I mostly meant "on the market" in the sense of there being a new (or at least remade) major thing. I am aware of the tie-ins and merchandise, but aside from Rebuild there hasn't exactly been anything new Eva-related in theaters or on TV. Maybe if one of the spin-offs like the Raising Project manga got a TV show there would be that, but there hasn't been new TV since the 90s, and aside from remastering the original show I don't know what they will do to get something that high profile out now Rebuild is winding down.

There's nothing wrong with not putting something out if you're still getting a big audience to watch your works when you do run them. The airings of the three movies on NTV had 9.5/11.8/10.0 ratings (of all TVs in the Kanto region) watching the movies this year. It's still popular by itself, so there's no rush to get something out just to get something out unlike a lot of other franchises.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Has there been any new word on 3.33 being released in the US? I can't believe they're going to miss out on this Christmas season.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Epi Lepi posted:

Has there been any new word on 3.33 being released in the US? I can't believe they're going to miss out on this Christmas season.

Funimation's solicitations up until February 2015 have been released and there is no update. Given the smaller amount of money Khara would make from NTV selling the rights compared to the massive amount of yen they make elsewhere, their priorities are correct.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Amazon put it back up with no release date, same as they did almost exactly a year ago, but we saw how that ended.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
whats the release date for 4.04: that is (not) a catfish?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Evangelion 4.444 - It's (not) jsut my dikc

Really though I rewatched 2 and 3 this weekend and when the three of them walk off at the end I just had a scary feeling something sexy might happen and it's gonna be weird. Partly because of all the looping self-reference poo poo going on and EOE opening up with a weirdo sex thing.

Maybe I'm just so hosed up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If Eva isn't putting weird, somewhat uncomfortable thoughts into your brain I think you're watching a different series by mistake or something.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I also realized the giant heel turn where everyone hates Shinji and his life is super hosed actually feels like a relief after the first couple of movies. It just feels correct.

I'm a big fan of the way they've been doing these. The way they re-do the dramatization of certain things like Shinji being confused and angry about the Rei clone really works for me. Like, I don't know about all the other poo poo attached (Wunder, curse of eva, mari, etc) but Shinji's feelings and breakdown over his "rescue" of Rei are a lot more believable and weighty when it's connected to something like an Impact and everyone hating him.

Having a giant breakdown because you find out someone you had a crush on died and got replaced by a clone is one thing, having one because you found out you blew up the whole world to rescue someone and didn't even get that right (and everyone knows it) is even better. Someone working on these correctly noticed that mirroring Shinji's personal highs and lows with epic plot highs and lows is a good, cool thing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 2, 2014

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Having a giant breakdown because you find out someone you had a crush on died and got replaced by a clone is one thing, having one because you found out you blew up the whole world to rescue someone and didn't even get that right is even better.

this should be the new adtrw subtitle

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Eva thread dies. Eva thread rises. Death and Rebirth.

Are there any girls in this thread who can sing?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and I couldn't help wondering if Eva would have turned out any different if Shinji was listening to a copy of Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on his SDAT. :downs:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and I couldn't help wondering if Eva would have turned out any different if Shinji was listening to a copy of Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on his SDAT. :downs:

The Eva ascends and all you hear before explosions happen is just a quiet "ogga chaka ogga ogga ogga chaka."

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 11, 2014

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Eva thread dies. Eva thread rises. Death and Rebirth.

Are there any girls in this thread who can sing?

...what for?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I don't want to be all self promoting before I've got the final product but an associate and I have an Evangelion concept album recorded but we've not been able to find a good female vocalist for it. Had one but she flaked out. We've wven got a bit from Tiffany Grant on it. It's a fine sounding record and we've literally got backing tracks we've been sitting on for a year trying to find the right singer.

You can PM me for more details.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I don't want to be all self promoting before I've got the final product but an associate and I have an Evangelion concept album recorded but we've not been able to find a good female vocalist for it. Had one but she flaked out. We've wven got a bit from Tiffany Grant on it. It's a fine sounding record and we've literally got backing tracks we've been sitting on for a year trying to find the right singer.

i'm not paying 10bux to tell you why i can not participate.

but do u have an instrumental track and lyric sheet?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Izumi Konata posted:

i'm not paying 10bux to tell you why i can not participate.

but do u have an instrumental track and lyric sheet?

I have these things. You can see some of the rough versions with lovely guide tracks at http://soundcloud.com/atfieldband

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My continuing Mari theory, which is now held up by that new 1998 thing:

In the picture Fuyutsuki shows Shinji of his mom look on the right! It's Mari, or at least the now revealed/confirmed 1998 Mari. I think she has redder hair, but that's up in the air.

So my theory hinges on the presence of someone that resembles Mari in the same way Yui resembles Rei: Mari is cloned from that person.

And why is Mari able to pilot 02 so freely, including Beast mode? Because that person could be Asuka's mom, but now she'll have to have already cranked Asuka out, so the 1998 thing is going to either kill or confirm this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^Interesting theory. I had always assumed Mari had been exposed to the "Curse of Eva" longer than anyone else, but that idea makes sense to a degree as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Anno gonna find out and sue you into the ground, son.

(you have the best username btw)