Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The F8500 is the jam. I can hear a buzz when sitting directly in front of the TV but otherwise it's really hard to hear. If there is anything of decent volume its inaudible. The two others in the house haven't said anything about it. The input lag is fine when in PC mode. I love it. My girlfriend says it looks amazing and I didn't expect her to even see a difference because she doesn't ever notice that kind of stuff.

I hope 60" OLED is as affordable as this when it comes time to replace this in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is the 4k upscalling as lovely as I would imagine it would be?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is the 4k upscalling as lovely as I would imagine it would be?

High quality source material can look great with 4k upscaling. A low quality noisy source can look terrible. Thats really all there is to it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I recently purchased a Vizio M492I-B2 and have a Radeon Hawk 5770 attached via HDMI as a second screen (my Asus monitor is on DVI).

If I drag an open window over from the monitor to the HDTV it looks right until it gets halfway over then it suddenly jumps up in size. This includes media players and XBMC. If I take a program fullscreen on the TV it either drops the TV to 720p mode or crops and slooges leftovers onto the monitor.

ATI Catalyst reports it is sending 1080p at 60hz to the TV. The TV reports it is in 1080p and it has a native resolution of 1920x1080. The HDTV desktop looks right, as does 1080p test image as wallpaper - but that same image crops at 100% zoom in a fullscreen browser:

This makes me suspect I am not getting 1080p from my media PC. Do I need to be sending 120hz to this thing? I sure can't find a driver for that. If I use something like powerstrip or CRU to raise the refresh my TV goes black and makes some very angry beeps.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

AzCoug posted:

Great to know.

So with that said, what's anyone's overall opinion on Plasma vs. LED? Why are you/are you not buying a Plasma?

Do you think I am going to be regretting the Plasma in two years when 4K's are the norm?

All big manufacturers stopped making plasma. All that is available now is whatever was left in the pipeline and lower end LG plasma's.
The battle is done, snag up a plasma while you can.
It lost mainly because plasma is slightly more expensive, lower margins, higher power usage, slightly less thin panels and less bright in the showroom.

If you are going to regret not having 4K you will also regret it if you bought a HD LCD LED TV.
I do not care about 4K at all. There is still very little content available in 4K and a lot of TV/movie backlog won't be available in 4K anytime soon (if ever).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What really put the final nail in the coffin for plasma was the push the 4k. It is simply not possible, without significant R&D effort, to make a 4k plasma in the 50+ inch range that falls under current power consumption guidelines. Plasma was basically dead ended at 1080p without some huge breakthrough, so it didn't fit the manufacturer vision of "high end" anymore.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

All big manufacturers stopped making plasma. All that is available now is whatever was left in the pipeline and lower end LG plasma's.
The battle is done, snag up a plasma while you can.
It lost mainly because plasma is slightly more expensive, lower margins, higher power usage, slightly less thin panels and less bright in the showroom.

If you are going to regret not having 4K you will also regret it if you bought a HD LCD LED TV.
I do not care about 4K at all. There is still very little content available in 4K and a lot of TV/movie backlog won't be available in 4K anytime soon (if ever).

The salesperson at Sears (tried viewing the Samsung H5000 in person, but didn't have it on the floor) mentioned plasmas having a 5-6 year lifespan. When asked what "ends their lifespan" she said that the colors start to bleed together.

Wasn't sure if she was full of poo poo or not.

Is that an accurate lifespan? What is end all of a plasma?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

You should basically never believe anything salespeople tell you at these places.

I mean, not everything they say is wrong, but so much of it is wrong (like this 5-6 year lifespan for plasma TVs) you may as well not believe any of it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Thermopyle posted:

You should basically never believe anything salespeople tell you at these places.

I mean, not everything they say is wrong, but so much of it is wrong (like this 5-6 year lifespan for plasma TVs) you may as well not believe any of it.

My Panasonic is over 7 years old and looks great, aside from the light being a bit darker. That could easily be due to a sunny room.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Plasma's MTBF is on par with other types of TVs in the same quality/price bracket.

That said, there are a few notable issues that have popped up. 2011 Panasonic plasmas had the green blob issue that tended to manifest itself and 2012 Panasonic plasmas had the yellow blob issue. Not all of the TVs suffered from them, but a greater than normal failure rate of sets did exhibit the issues.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AzCoug posted:

The salesperson at Sears (tried viewing the Samsung H5000 in person, but didn't have it on the floor) mentioned plasmas having a 5-6 year lifespan. When asked what "ends their lifespan" she said that the colors start to bleed together.

Wasn't sure if she was full of poo poo or not.

Is that an accurate lifespan? What is end all of a plasma?

Plasmas have a half life which is when they are at half original brightness. Thats all that will happen to a plasma, it will get dimmer. Modern plasmas are 60-100,000 hours to half brightness.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

What is an expected lifespan then?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

60-100k hours till its at half brightness.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AzCoug posted:

I believe the scientific measurement is "You'll never have to worry about it."

I have a 2008 plasma and it's still gorgeous and beats out most LCD panels I see today.

edit: The more I think about plasma getting edged out in favor of LCD panels I just get mad. Ugh.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

60-100k hours till its at half brightness.

Oh, so a couple years then...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AzCoug posted:

60000 hours is 6.8 years with the TV on 24 hours a day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I need to mount a 55" TV above my fireplace. The stud placement sucks. My only option is to mount the TV on a single stud that is centered on the wall.

Does anyone know of mount that I can attach to a single, center stud? I have found a bunch of articulating arm mounts, but the issue is that the TV ends up 4 - 6 inches off center when folded up. I need one where the TV would be centered when folded up.

Any ideas?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ehud posted:

I need to mount a 55" TV above my fireplace. The stud placement sucks. My only option is to mount the TV on a single stud that is centered on the wall.

Does anyone know of mount that I can attach to a single, center stud? I have found a bunch of articulating arm mounts, but the issue is that the TV ends up 4 - 6 inches off center when folded up. I need one where the TV would be centered when folded up.

Any ideas?

On an LCD? I think youd be ok with 2 bolts in one stud vertically and then good dry wall anchors

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

taqueso posted:

60000 hours is 6.8 years with the TV on 24 hours a day.

... I... I hope he was being sarcastic!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

AzCoug posted:

lol, good troll

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So I pulled the trigger on the 4k Samsung 8550 for 2,300. How badly should I regret this impulse buy. :ohdear:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I pulled the trigger on the 4k Samsung 8550 for 2,300. How badly should I regret this impulse buy. :ohdear:

Depends on how much 4k content you have and how much regular HD content you have that will look good scaled up (not all of it will).

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

BonoMan posted:

... I... I hope he was being sarcastic!

It pencils out.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Saw that same one at Sears. It's tempting, but lack of content keeps me away from them. I feel like by the time there's enough content to justify the purchase, the prices will be drastically less.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Don Lapre posted:

On an LCD? I think youd be ok with 2 bolts in one stud vertically and then good dry wall anchors

Yeah, LCD. Okay, maybe that's the route I will go. Thanks!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Depends on how much 4k content you have and how much regular HD content you have that will look good scaled up (not all of it will).

I have no 4k content and don't plan to get any in the immediate future. I've just been reading that the upscalling on a 4k set can make the 1080p picture look absolutely stunning. Is this not true? I would imagine a high end set like the 8550 would do a fine job upscalling FIOS cable tv and blu-ray right?

And old SD DVDs shouldn't look much worse then they already do on a 1080p tv right?

It was either this or the h7150 but since I really don't expect to buy another tv for 5 years I figured it wouldn't be too bad to spend the extra thousand bucks now to be 4k ready when the content itself starts to roll out soon.

Of course if the 8550 is just a broken piece of poo poo then let me know so I can bail on it before it's too late.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 30, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I wouldn't spend an extra thousand dollars just for 4k, if it had a better picture as far as black levels and contrast or better motion i might.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I wouldn't spend an extra thousand dollars just for 4k, if it had a better picture as far as black levels and contrast or better motion i might.

Does the 8550 have better black levels/contrast/that kind of stuff than the 7150?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does the 8550 have better black levels/contrast/that kind of stuff than the 7150?

No. You are basically paying for the higher resolution

The 7150 has higher contrast, darker blacks, and lower input lag
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/hu8550

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h7150

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well just switched my order from the 8550 to the 7150. And Im getting the BF price of 1,299 for the 60'. Thankfully some impulse buys can be undone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wise choice. 4k is a non-factor for a long time and I love my 7150. Some sample shots from a while ago

That's all regular cable tv.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I love how loving thin the goddamn thing is. 1.3 inches :allears:

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I realize this is probably very dumb, but I need to ask- I have a Sony Bravía TV and I'd like to play my own photo and video files on it via USB. I put an mp4 on a USB stick but you TV couldn't see it. What am I doing wrong?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

burnsep posted:

I realize this is probably very dumb, but I need to ask- I have a Sony Bravía TV and I'd like to play my own photo and video files on it via USB. I put an mp4 on a USB stick but you TV couldn't see it. What am I doing wrong?

What is the file system on the USB stick? My tv will only recognise exfat, not Fat32, NTFS, HFS etc.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

What is the file system on the USB stick? My tv will only recognise exfat, not Fat32, NTFS, HFS etc.

I think it's NTFS. I'll reformat and try exfat. Thanks!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

How are the Sceptre TVs, build wise? They look to be the no-name Wal-Mart brand, but for a family that can't really afford anything better, are they gonna break down within a year or two?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

everythingWasBees posted:

How are the Sceptre TVs, build wise? They look to be the no-name Wal-Mart brand, but for a family that can't really afford anything better, are they gonna break down within a year or two?
My buddy has a couple that he uses as monitors. They look terrible and both have dead pixels. I can't read anything on them without getting a headache. But they've worked for years if that's all you care about.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

everythingWasBees posted:

They are a no name walmart brand.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

They are a no name walmart brand.

My local TV store is offering the Samsung Plasma F8500 for $1,999. Good deal?

They also mentioned the H5000 is trimmed down since Samsung knew they were going to stop making Plasmas and that an LED would be pretty comparable at this point. Until then I was hearing decent things about the H5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

My local TV store is offering the Samsung Plasma F8500 for $1,999. Good deal?

They also mentioned the H5000 is trimmed down since Samsung knew they were going to stop making Plasmas and that an LED would be pretty comparable at this point. Until then I was hearing decent things about the H5000.

What size? there is 51, 60 and 64. If its a 64 then yes, its a steal. If its 60 then it should be $1499 MSRP. You should still be able to get a 60" at $1499 but you may need to do some legwork with vendors like cleveland plasma or others. Check avsforum for vendors.

An LED is in no way comparable to a h5000/f5300/f8500.

I believe the h5000 and 5300 are almost the same. The 8500 is capable of led like brightness and has a fancy uber glare filter over it.