Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Those dialogue samples were just one comedic relief character. It's not like all the writing is gonna be like that, and since he's a random recruit in an FE game once he's in your army you won't hear a peep from him unless you get his supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What IS awful emblem other than something related to goons and fire emblem?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

What IS awful emblem other than something related to goons and fire emblem?
its just an fe romhack by goons

it isn't a goofy thing like awful fantasy it's just a romhack, like last promise or whatever. (though hopefully not *like* last promise)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Momomo posted:

FE12 has you fighting people that used to be in your army and they eventually all join together as one, and also added in supports for everyone, so I guess that's what Omni meant.

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't really help?

Your project looks interesting (even though the first glance confused because I kinda assumed it was about Awful Emblem)

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe they meant Gaiden?

The Iron Rose posted:

This doesn't really narrow down the list.

ChaosArgate posted:

...12? Or are we talking about a non FE game?

I was talking about a non-FE game, only reason I didn't name it, is it spoils the plot of said game. So I would rather let it get to that point. It is an SRPG though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just put it in spoiler tags, you enormous goon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you don't tell me what it is i'll steal your lunch money, omni

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

yeah its kind of impossible for this conversation to go any further without you naming the game, and 'the plot is kind of like FE10' can't really be that much of a spoiler even if the plot follows FE10 note for note.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bongo Bill posted:

Hokay, Super Robot Wars Z. Since the main villains spend the entire time manipulating information so the two sides of two sides of ZEUTH believe that the other side has gone rogue. Which was easy enough to do because when one side contains all the hard-line military types and the other contains all the free radical gently caress The Police types, they don't need much prodding to believe that the other side is doing poo poo like forming alliances, attacking civilians etc. The game spends about 20 chapters building up to this big climax where both side is utterly convinced the other needs to be dealt with, to the point that even them having a joint operation leads to more tragedy and the two blame each other. Then they slug it out, and it's revealed that the person everyone thought had been their ally, had been manipulating information as it reached both groups, since they were incapable of contacting each other, all they had to do was keep control over information until they inevitably slaughtered themselves. Who's side of the story you're getting depends on the protagonist you picked at the start of the game.

That seems like a much better set up for RD than what we got, 2 Act structure really, fanfiction spitballing bullshit ahead. Act 1 has you pick EITHER Micaiah/Pelleas, Elincia/Ike and playing through chapters from their point of view, leading into the war against Crimea/Daein, manipulated from behind the scenes by Begnion using trickery and information manipulation. Not poorly explained magical voodoo bullshit... the thing is RD established the tools to make this work. How does Begnion convince both sides the other wants to wipe them out? False flag operations under the other sides armor. Okay but how do they convince them that it's not just a false flag. You take people from Daein and Crimea who would be recruitable later like Geoffrey, Lucia, Tauroneo... and since Izuka is working for you and it's been established what the Feral One serum can do to humans (Example: Renning.) And since they're just feral killers, you set them loose with a contingent of Begnion soldiers in Crimean/Daein armor. Attack the opposite side.

Okay, maybe Elincia and Pelleas want to settle things peacefully since neither likes war, they send messengers. Said messengers are killed. Both side petitions to their local laguz to act as a third party. The wolves for Daein and the Gallians for Crimea. Those messengers are killed as well. You create an info black out except for the facts in front of you, forces led by Geoffrey/Tauroneo are leading soldiers on your people, the other side refuses to talk to you and slaughters all messengers. Then you keep the actual PC armies from meeting until the unification chapter where the first act ends. And that's when Naesala or Bastion or someone shows up because they're the spy and information gathering characters who would know what's going on, to stop everyone from killing one another.

As for Begnion? Their gain is that Daein and Crimea were both former suzerain states that have achieved autonomy to some degrees, if both armies take to the field, gosh, it would be really bad if a stray arrow were to kill both ruling leaders. I mean... that would leave those nations completely without heirs given all they've been through. And there's Begnion! right over the hill who... takes control until they can get themselves up on their little feet again.

You could have a really good underlying evil plot from the bad guys while the good guys are slugging it out with each other, and SRWZ is a really drat good at very much the same scenario that RD is trying to do, but actually doing it effectively... also not killing off all the tension at the end of the 3rd part by going "Well now the entire world is encased in stone so... everyone is safe I guess."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/2ftO9Q5JYqfowOmxJcf_5cpDcBQpv0wV

good poo poo, nintendo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it bad that this makes me want a Wii U more than any of the games that were actually developed for it?

Like, I guess those Platinum games look cool but :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You could get a GBASP and a copy of FE7 for way less than it'd take to get a Wii U.

Even if you want to play it on your TV, you could get a gamecube and a gameboy player.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it bad that this makes me want a Wii U more than any of the games that were actually developed for it?

yes, because the wii u owns, but in light of the good news i'm not going to fight you about this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well I'll grant you that Nintendo's E3 was pretty good this year.

Endorph posted:

You could get a GBASP and a copy of FE7 for way less than it'd take to get a Wii U.

Even if you want to play it on your TV, you could get a gamecube and a gameboy player.

I have a GBASP, the battery is just dead. I'd rather get a system with new games to play though is the point.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sweet I will finally play this game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

How badass is Canas in the non-randomized version

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he can use Luna which is broken as hell so pretty

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

alcharagia posted:

How badass is Canas in the non-randomized version

He himself is actually pretty awful, but that's not important because he's your only unit that has access to Luna outside of Athos.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You are a true dedicated strategy/rpg person that hates remotely any actual movement?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh yeah, seeing as the LP is going for it now. I would love an FE spin-off that plays like The Last Remnant though... probably not as obtuse.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Any answer other than "Canas owns" is wrong.

I'm going to try doing FE7 on Hard mode for the first time. Anything I should know to not screw myself over? I've only flirted with Hard Modes in Fire Emblem a few times and found them very difficult, but I've beaten FE7 on normal more times than any other of the games so I figure this release is a good excuse to challenge myself.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wiiu has no rpgs so honestly not really. You should get one anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm going to try doing FE7 on Hard mode for the first time. Anything I should know to not screw myself over? I've only flirted with Hard Modes in Fire Emblem a few times and found them very difficult, but I've beaten FE7 on normal more times than any other of the games so I figure this release is a good excuse to challenge myself.

Which hard mode?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh right I forgot there are two storylines. I guess I'd do Eliwood's. Isn't HHM the truly infamous one? I'm not sure I'm ready for that...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

assuming you're doing Eliwood hard it's not much harder than hector normal so you should be fine

i know units that start as enemies get stat bonuses in hector hard, not sure about eliwood

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh right I forgot there are two storylines. I guess I'd do Eliwood's. Isn't HHM the truly infamous one? I'm not sure I'm ready for that...

HHM is a fair bit harder than any other mode in 7, yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

assuming you're doing Eliwood hard it's not much harder than hector normal so you should be fine

i know units that start as enemies get stat bonuses in hector hard, not sure about eliwood

There are no hard mode bonuses in EHM.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There are no hard mode bonuses in EHM.

dumb

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
EHM is really nothing much. HHM is where the :getin: is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hector's story is better because a) Eliwood is dumb, b) it has more maps, c) it's harder, and d) Eliwood is dumb. That is my thesis on Why Hector is Cool and Eliwood is Not, thank you for your time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hector's story is better because a) Eliwood is dumb, b) it has more maps, c) it's harder, and d) Eliwood is dumb. That is my thesis on Why Hector is Cool and Eliwood is Not, thank you for your time.

Yeah but in Eliwood's mode Hector doesn't sit at 20 for a million chapters waiting for his promotion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A price I'm willing to pay.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What should I be expecting in Fire Emblem 7. I know nothing about it other than people say that Hector is cool.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hector is cool

7 is basically PoR with no skills, and horses can't attack then move. Also you promote with items.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I do like Hector's story better than Eliwood's I'm just worried I'm not good enough to beat it on hard mode.

For reference I nearly gave up in frustration when doing FE8 on hard because that level with the two ships and constant streams of eyeballs was so insanely difficult.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Hector is cool

7 is basically PoR with no skills, and horses can't attack then move. Also you promote with items.

I'm trying to parse together in what way you mean. In that it's still the basic Fire Emblem gameplay? In that sometimes people go to ridiculous extents to the point that it can turn people off a rather fun game? Because both of those are correct (I regret how long it took me to play PoR simply because people are idiots when it comes to trying to sell a game to you)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

What should I be expecting in Fire Emblem 7. I know nothing about it other than people say that Hector is cool.
1: Oswin is the biggest crutch ever, if you're okay with taking maps slow

2: Hector is cool

3: Raven is cool

4: Erk is Not Good but unfortunately he's also your only anima magic user for 60% of the game

5: Canas is Not Good but unfortunately he's also your only dark magic user for 90% of the game

6: Lucius is Okay but ???ly he's also your only light magic user for 60% of the game

7: Basically, FE7 hates magic

8: Pent is cool

KoB
May 1, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Hector is cool. Oswin is cool too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

I'm trying to parse together in what way you mean. In that it's still the basic Fire Emblem gameplay? In that sometimes people go to ridiculous extents to the point that it can turn people off a rather fun game? Because both of those are correct (I regret how long it took me to play PoR simply because people are idiots when it comes to trying to sell a game to you)

it plays more or less the same, except for those differences.

and i guess no bexp, forgot about that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and CON instead of just using STR for weapon weight. and no dagger mages. and cavaliers work completely differently in terms of weapons. and no shoving. and no laguz. and you buy items on the map instead of inbetween maps. and anima magic is just one lump instead of individual types. and dark magic exists. and supports work very differently. and

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

and no shoving.

The worst part about all of the non radiant games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Every time someone refers to FE9 as PoR I think of Castlevania. Every time.

Endorph posted:

7: Basically, FE7 hates magic

The healers are actually quite good in FE7, Priscilla in particular. Erk kinda sucks but you can make do with him, and Canas gets Luna which is all you actually need to be useful. His stats have at best a 50/50 shot of being decent though, to be fair.

Also if you are ok with and/or enjoy grinding, play Lyn's story on hard mode so you don't have to use the Knight Seal they give you on what's his face. They force you to otherwise and he's like a level 13 Knight, who is also not very good anyway and you might not even get the map you recruit him on in Eliwood/Hector's story since it requires your lords to be less than level 50 total (you don't want that map anyway, no for real grind your lords if you have to because it's bad). You could give it to one of the two cavaliers or level the knight up a bit beforehand.