Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol, that's the explanation straight from 7 itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, it worked for War of the Worlds. :v: They probably could have just not addressed it at all and nobody would have cared.

Until you consider Nabata, I explained that Athos used part of Forblazes power to make it livable, sort of like how Roland in myth raised Durandal to bring life back to Lycia. It was one of those "We don't need to explain it but why not" to me. "Why are the divine weapons say... not as strong as the ones in FE4? because after the war they used their power to restore Elibe."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

That is the exact reason given by the game. Admittedly it's probably supposed to be a bit more magic-related than literal death by air, but still.

Lyn's reason is pretty lovely though. Couldn't have even bothered to visit?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlitzBlast posted:

That is the exact reason given by the game. Admittedly it's probably supposed to be a bit more magic-related than literal death by air, but still.

Lyn's reason is pretty lovely though. Couldn't have even bothered to visit?

Eh, even if she did, Roy wasn't there, he was in Etruria most of his Youth with Wolt, Lilina Clarine and Klein living with Pent and Louise and training under Cecilia. Besides I like to justify it as her basically doing what her parents did, and not learning why doing what her parents did was stupid.

In reality it's because trying to explain why Lyn can be where she is in the hack regardless of the Roy/Lilina parents is way easier if she's always in Sacae, since it covers Sue, Lilina and Roy. I mean otherwise I'm essentially making an entire new portrait for her for two seperate versions of the game and changing a lot to make it make sense.

So yeah it helps me keep my sanity.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Since you can recruit her, is she going to recognize one of them as her kid? Or is that just gonna be glossed over?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Since you can recruit her, is she going to recognize one of them as her kid? Or is that just gonna be glossed over?

If all goes according to plan, yes, she will.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Ninian married Eliwood and Lyn married Hector and Farina married my beautiful self insert

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

Ninian married Eliwood and Lyn married Hector and Farina married my beautiful self insert
greetings, dart

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So this is the new Chapter 9, this doesn't actually replace the old one, it just slots in after 8x. Also disregard the number of villages it'll be scaled down. As will the fact that the trees used here are impassable...

Anyway, the chapter is really simple, hold out against Narciens assault against Ostia until the Etrurian Army arrives. Also rush down to the bottom ASAP because there's like a warp staff in that village and it's worth it, if very risky.

Initially you'll just fight some weak grunts, but as the turns go on, much stronger enemies are going to deploy, forcing you to have to give up ground, as will Dracoknights flying behind your lines to drop troops (If I can make that happen) which could leave you caught in a pincer. It's an endurance test most definitly, and if any enemy reaches the gate, game over.

This is meant to be the capstone to the Lycia arc, not that the current capstone was bad, I just thought it would be fun to fight Bern's army like was threatened. Also the fact that after three chapters which seem to take place one after another that Cecilia conveniently arrives in time? never sat right with me. I tweaked it a little so the letter for aid was sent out the moment the situation at Araphan was resolved. With the request being to meet the remnants at Ostia, since that's where they're headed.

So, you will now get a chance to fight the invasion force of Bern, and it's not going to be easy, if Chapter 17 is me going "The player should be eased into a new arc" then Chapter 9 is me going "The player should work their rear end off to finish an arc."

I hope when it's finally inserted into the game, you all have a lot of fun, hopefully I'll be able to throw enough curve balls to change this from a regular defense map. And, just to leave, I will say this map was made back when I was really bad about map sizes. So much so that I don't know what I was on but this.

Was chapter 1 and this

Was chapter 3... which I guess I could still use in the Lycia 2 arc... I mean I got it, might as well...

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, but one's a joke thing without translations

the serious one is a decent read if you're a fan, it's pretty melodramatic but fun enough

translations stopped (or the manga got cancelled, dunno) near the end of the first gen though

Translations definitely just stopped, I have eleven volumes of the stuff on my shelf in bunko format and it goes up to dealing with Julius (although from what I get out of it, that's definitely something that goes differently); I'm pretty sure the original format had sixteen volumes.

Kind of a shame, the Oosawa manga's good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've gotten to chapter 19, and I see Legault show up, and he is the same level as Matthew. However, he has way higher in everything except speed so, lol, sorry Matthew. You were cool while you lasted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Legault's growths are a little worse so Matthew might catch up given time, but then again it's not like you're using a Thief for their combat potential anyway.

Besides Legault has a cool custom sprite with long hair.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speed is the most important stat for a thief, as you can't rob enemies that are faster than you, and your thieves may often be targeted by enemy thieves.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I've gotten to chapter 19, and I see Legault show up, and he is the same level as Matthew. However, he has way higher in everything except speed so, lol, sorry Matthew. You were cool while you lasted.

I'm playing 7 for the first time, and I just best 19 too weirdly enough. My Matthew is way better than Legault, plus Matthew is rad. Also as someone who has only played Awakening the limits on support are infuriating, especially when it seems these support conversations are even more plot relevant. Really enjoying the game though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah Supports are kind of... impractical in 6 and 7. It's annoying.

I like the way PoR did them best.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While it's definitely fun to view the supports in game, it's way more practical to read them online or download a 100% save file for use with VBA and read them in the supports viewer.

Like, I understand why there's a limit given paired endings and not allowing bonuses to get out of hand, but dammit some of these conversations are getting interesting IntSys!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"Oh I know, let's try Hector Hard Mode!"

*Eiwood gets hit twice in a row at 22% listed odds*

Poor life choices ITT.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

"Oh I know, let's try Hector Hard Mode!"

*Eiwood gets hit twice in a row at 22% listed odds*

Poor life choices ITT.

To be fair HHM is more difficult mostly because of the lesser deployment slots.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
All this talk about FE6 from Omni is making me want to play it.

Someone talk me out of it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Onmi posted:

To be fair HHM is more difficult mostly because of the lesser deployment slots.

To be fair, weapons have slightly different stats, and 10 hit more or less can make a lot of difference. And the number of troops too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

To be fair, weapons have slightly different stats, and 10 hit more or less can make a lot of difference. And the number of troops too.

In HHM weapons have the same stats as they do normally... I was saying that mode is mostly harder because you have less to do more with. Which is never fun.

BrightWing posted:

I would only recommend playing it if only to compare it to the changes I've made. Also I would not recommend you play it unless you're using the Early Promotion Hack And/Or the Standardized Knight Movement hack.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

In HHM weapons have the same stats as they do normally... I was saying that mode is mostly harder because you have less to do more with. Which is never fun.

I would only recommend playing it if only to compare it to the changes I've made. Also I would not recommend you play it unless you're using the Early Promotion Hack And/Or the Standardized Knight Movement hack.

On the other hand it does have Gonzales...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Onmi posted:

the Standardized Knight Movement hack.

This is a thing?

Because holy crap it sounds awesome.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Onmi posted:

I was comparing FE6 and FE7. And even between EHM and HHM, keep in mind the first chapter of Hector is kind of special, considering you have only two guys, no healers, and barely any starting equipement.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Onmi posted:

Personally, I find that far more interesting than the standard "more dudes with bigger numbers". If you're going to do a hard mode, I'd much rather have something that actually changes the way you have to play the map.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

This is a thing?

Because holy crap it sounds awesome.

Yeah it just gives Knights 5 move and Generals 6 move, I have it bundled with the promotion patch.

Artix posted:

Personally, I find that far more interesting than the standard "more dudes with bigger numbers". If you're going to do a hard mode, I'd much rather have something that actually changes the way you have to play the map.

Well I meant 'Never fun' in a silly way but yes, it is a more interesting way to do hard mode.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 9, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HHM is the best and most fun game mode. in that game. :colbert:

BrightWing posted:

Alright. FE6 is not a good game. It is ok, but there are a lot of really dumb parts that drag it down. If you've only played the games released outside of Japan FE6 would likely be the second worst after Shadow Dragon.

Also Roy is really bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

HHM is the best and most fun game mode. in that game. :colbert:

Alright. FE6 is not a good game. It is ok, but there are a lot of really dumb parts that drag it down. If you've only played the games released outside of Japan FE6 would likely be the second worst after Shadow Dragon.

Also Roy is really bad.

As a dissenting opinion, 6 is the best GBA game because it actually tries to be moderately challenging and doesn't bend over backwards to let you kick its rear end, like FE7/8 outside of HHM. It has some dumb design choices like Arcadia and two Guiding Rings without a guide, but enemies with no stats compared to your guys fundamentally ruins the strategy part of a strategy RPG

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The way FE6 tries to be challenging is pretty dumb though.

No accuracy whatsoever, piles of useless units, a complete dead weight character you have to drag everywhere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF6 is lovely design because it gives you incredibly difficult Lunatic-levels of bullshit for the first few missions, then gives you the best units in the game because Enemy-Stat bonuses are super dumb in FE6.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

As a dissenting opinion, 6 is the best GBA game because it actually tries to be moderately challenging and doesn't bend over backwards to let you kick its rear end, like FE7/8 outside of HHM. It has some dumb design choices like Arcadia and two Guiding Rings without a guide, but enemies with no stats compared to your guys fundamentally ruins the strategy part of a strategy RPG

And as the middle ground, FE6 is not a bad game, it's just an obvious prototype to FE7 when it comes to engine. There are many things missing that are simply quality of life, and even digging into the games code shows many unrefined features for what would be in the next game.

On the other hand, the plot, while very simple and generic, is also very coherant, with very little filler. Most of the dialog is fairly generic but that also has a lot to do with the literal translation in comparison to localized games having proper translators. The support system isn't great, but it was also born off the back of FE4's lovers system.

In short, FE6 has a lot of unrefined features, but it's still a perfectly servicable and fun game.

Dr Pepper posted:

No accuracy whatsoever, piles of useless units, a complete dead weight character you have to drag everywhere.

You're plenty accurate, you just feel less accurate because it's down by 10 and Thrones are as they were before they were nerfed in FE7's localization. Most of the units are plenty useful, Roy is not complete dead weight though he promotes far too late to be useful.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 9, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh yeah the hard mode bonuses are hilarious.

Like, Rutger is already pretty much the best unit you can get for so much of the game and then he becomes even more hilarious.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Early game FE6 isn't really that difficult unless you are LTCing. Marcus stomps the game up until Zealot who stomps the game up until Miledy who stomps the rest of the game with a bit of help from Percival. The problem is that LTC requires a lot of sub-70 displayed hits to land and that gets real frustrating real fast. Fortunately Rutger and Dieck have decent hit rates so things become a bit more reliable later on.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Roy is an actually decent character screwed over by his hilariously late promotion.

At least he's not the only character who can visit villages?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly a lot of FE6's problems come from people trying to maximize everything and once more forgetting "It doesn't need to be flashing green to be great." I mean the game features buyable killer weapons from as early as chapter 11. Where upon the rest of the game bends over, spreads its legs and say "gently caress me long and gently caress me hard." The most annoying thing to deal with honestly is the early thrones without using Marcus and his Silver Lance.

Then again I know FE6 like the back of my hand so I'm not sure I get to say "It's not that hard guys geez"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That reminds me Onmi you're going to keep the hilarity of buy-able siege tomes in your hack right

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never said it was bad, just that it wasn't good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

That reminds me Onmi you're going to keep the hilarity of buy-able siege tomes in your hack right

Oh goodness of course. along with all other kinds of fun toys like Wind swords.

Also here's the patch, standardized movement for knights and early roy promtoion, it should work with the new translation. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kl183zuhfpyyr0w/Armor%20Knight%20and%20Early%20Roy%20Promotion.ups?dl=0

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

FF6 is lovely design because it gives you incredibly difficult Lunatic-levels of bullshit for the first few missions, then gives you the best units in the game because Enemy-Stat bonuses are super dumb in FE6.

Every chapter up until the Ostian Revolt isn't very hard though? Like Awakening Lunatic is dumb because it's super-high stat boosts on crappy maps, but since you can dodge in FE6 without supports and the maps are way better you just have to position your units properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stopped following the hack LP thread after a while, were there any hacks that were good, complete, and in english simultaneously?