Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I am really interested in picking up this TV: Vizio 70" Class (70.00" Diag.) 1080p Smart LED HDTV M702i-B3 (http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-(70.00%22-Diag.)-1080p-Smart-LED-HDTV-M702i-B3.product.100127595.html)
currently on sale at Costco for $1700 (and change)... are there any good or bad points about it?

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone got Amazon 4k Content to work on their Vizio P-Series?

EDIT - Looks like Vizio will update the P-Series at some point but I am betting there's a deal between LG/Samsung to have Prime 4k Content on their TVs first.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 11, 2014

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Are there any goon approved bang-for-the-buck HDTVs? I browsed the last few pages and saw someone mention Vizio as the best value. I'm looking for something around $500-700 for an apartment where Id most likely be sitting no more than 10 feet away. I was thinking around 50ish inches, is that reasonable? I don't need the greatest (although that'd be cool) as I don't watch much TV. The last time I researched tvs I was working at circuit city when 50 inches was big and anything under 2k was sacrificing something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Id probably go to costco and get a vizio E series

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have a 65" Vizio E Series-B that recently replaced an E Series-A that had vertical line through it.

In the last couple days I just noticed that when the TV switches from a dark scene back to a brighter scene or even at time just switching scenes or commercials, the picture will look overly bright and washed out for a few seconds and then slowly fade back to normal.

This can't be normal, but does anyone know what the cause and solution might be?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I forget what the exact setting is called but its the automatic backlight adjusting thing. Good idea on a phone maybe, but I have no clue why you'd want it on a TV.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I forget what the exact setting is called but its the automatic backlight adjusting thing. Good idea on a phone maybe, but I have no clue why you'd want it on a TV.

Great thanks. I'll have to dig around.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Smeed posted:

Are there any goon approved bang-for-the-buck HDTVs? I browsed the last few pages and saw someone mention Vizio as the best value. I'm looking for something around $500-700 for an apartment where Id most likely be sitting no more than 10 feet away. I was thinking around 50ish inches, is that reasonable? I don't need the greatest (although that'd be cool) as I don't watch much TV. The last time I researched tvs I was working at circuit city when 50 inches was big and anything under 2k was sacrificing something.

Samsung F5300. It is a plasma, 60" for $700. As long as you aren't constantly watching it in a super bright room, it is a great TV.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ranma posted:

Samsung F5300. It is a plasma, 60" for $700. As long as you aren't constantly watching it in a super bright room, it is a great TV.

I would say look at one on display first. The pixelation of the screen really shocked me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coredump posted:

I would say look at one on display first. The pixelation of the screen really shocked me.

Uh the pixelation of the screen? Most likely you were looking at a lovely source.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well the same lovely source was playing on all the other tvs on display in the store and that plasma was the only one to make notice how bad the screen door effect was.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Coredump posted:

Well the same lovely source was playing on all the other tvs on display in the store and that plasma was the only one to make notice how bad the screen door effect was.

It is a pentile display. If you are within 3-4 feet of the TV, you can notice it, at 10 feet it looks identical to non pentile displays.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ranma posted:

It is a pentile display. If you are within 3-4 feet of the TV, you can notice it, at 10 feet it looks identical to non pentile displays.

I was a good 5 to 6 feet away from the display and it stuck out pretty bad, and I'm not sensitive to the screen door effect at all. Thus my advice for people to try and see them on display. I saw one set up in Sears.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coredump posted:

I was a good 5 to 6 feet away from the display and it stuck out pretty bad, and I'm not sensitive to the screen door effect at all. Thus my advice for people to try and see them on display. I saw one set up in Sears.

Well for not being sensitive to the screen door effect and for a set that is generally excellently reviewed, I'm gonna still say you probably saw a broken unit or it really was still just the source.

Typically going into a Best Buy or Sears or whatever, in my opinion, is a way to get a terribly misinformed opinion of a set since they are generally setup so poorly by people that don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have a PN64H5000 (amazing TV, by the way - hard to overstate how good the picture is) and sit about 8-9 feet away. Whether I notice the pentile-ness or not depends on a few factors, like the quality of the image source and whether there are large patches of a bright color, but I also just got used to it to a degree and don't notice it as much as I did initially, where it did bug me at 8 feet (after watching TV for a while I even saw the pattern when looking away.) But I got used to it and my brain doesn't make a big deal about it or really notice it anymore. The one place I can still tell is in white subtitles but it doesn't bother me too much because the rest of the picture is outstanding. If you're buying a pentile screen sight unseen it would be good to have room in your viewing area to scootch back a bit if it bugs you.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm gonna agree that the 5300 pen tile effect is pretty noticeable even at a fair distance. I was looking at one from 6-7 feet away and could see it easily. It even looked bad on the TV menus. 10 feet away it might be okay but any closer and I wouldn't be able to stand it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Well for not being sensitive to the screen door effect and for a set that is generally excellently reviewed, I'm gonna still say you probably saw a broken unit or it really was still just the source.

Typically going into a Best Buy or Sears or whatever, in my opinion, is a way to get a terribly misinformed opinion of a set since they are generally setup so poorly by people that don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Right, but it was the same source to all the tv's, and the screen door effect was BAD on that F5300. Either way, this doesn't do anything to dispute my main point of that a person should really go look at a F5300 plasma before they buy it just to see if they see the same thing I did.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Coredump posted:

Right, but it was the same source to all the tv's, and the screen door effect was BAD on that F5300. Either way, this doesn't do anything to dispute my main point of that a person should really go look at a F5300 plasma before they buy it just to see if they see the same thing I did.

Same thing at my Best Buy. It looked horrendous, even on the same source as the others with pixelation and tearing. I bought it anyway, got it home, and it's absolutely gorgeous from 6-8 feet away after some tweaking.

:iiam:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh well that's excellent to hear and I think that will help other people looking at them. Thanks for that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What are the general consensus on TCL TVs?

Specifically, I am looking at their new Roku TVs but I wanted to hear opinions on their actual TV set up since I already am happy with Rokus.

http://www.tclusa.com/roku/

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
My dad's 46" Samsung just died (first it developed many dead pixel lines across the top, then completely dead screen). It is out of warranty. Assuming that this is not fixable for a price approaching just getting a new TV, I was thinking about getting him a new one for Christmas.

I have been very happy with my 60" Vizio E601i-A3 I got 2 years ago, so I'm looking at a 50 or 55" Vizio E or M series for him. Is there anything I should know about these before I get one? The 49" M is $598 on Amazon, the 55 is $779 with prime. The 50" E is only $479 with Prime.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2014

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my parents are getting a new tv for Christmas. They are looking at some pretty big models, around 75 inches. They are not getting a 4K tv though since that hardly seems worth it. Especially not in Sweden where the TV networks refuse to make HD broadcasting standard. So watching SD TV on a 4K display seems like a waste. However, I was wondering if those slightly curved displays are more than a gimmick. I have yet to study them in detail but so far it seems like it doesn't really add much.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Torabi posted:

So my parents are getting a new tv for Christmas. They are looking at some pretty big models, around 75 inches. They are not getting a 4K tv though since that hardly seems worth it. Especially not in Sweden where the TV networks refuse to make HD broadcasting standard. So watching SD TV on a 4K display seems like a waste. However, I was wondering if those slightly curved displays are more than a gimmick. I have yet to study them in detail but so far it seems like it doesn't really add much.

If they are sitting right in the middle it can give an impression of a larger display, however people sitting on the sides wont have as good a view and they can make reflections worse.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Don Lapre posted:

If they are sitting right in the middle it can give an impression of a larger display, however people sitting on the sides wont have as good a view and they can make reflections worse.

Ah, I think it is best not to get one in that sense then. Since my parents have three couches around the tv and when relatives are over and whatnot we all gather in the living room, would probably make viewing the tv worse for people on the sides then.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I went to a Best Buy to look around while shopping and I got hit with the "want a new TV" bug. Problem is I'm not sure if I really NEED it, I currently have a Samsung UN46B5000 which I've had since 2010. I was looking at a few Samsungs and Vizio 65" models. Worth it or should I just wait for 4K to get more content and cheaper?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you already have a decent TV, right now is a terrible to time to buy a new TV. OLED is just on the cusp of becoming truly affordable and 4k is going through teething issues (no set fully follows Rec. 2020 yet.)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Best tv for $500?
Right now I'm looking at the LG 47LB5900, or the Vizio E480i-B2.

Which is the better set? Or recommend me others please.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Are Sony TVs generally still well regarded? Is there any reason beyond "brand name" that all their TVs seem to be several hundred dollars more than the competition?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL55W800B-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN6K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That seems to be the most impressive deal around right now at $600 off, but the 3D will never be used in my family and the prices of similar TVs from competitors (without 3D) is roughly the same.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Do Vizio TVs come miracast enabled or will I have to purchase a dongle of some sort? I'm trying to figure out how to mirror my new phone to my new tv but I'm not having much luck. I have a Droid Turbo and a Vizio M-series.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pretty sure they do not have miracast.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

eddyc49 posted:

Same thing at my Best Buy. It looked horrendous, even on the same source as the others with pixelation and tearing. I bought it anyway, got it home, and it's absolutely gorgeous from 6-8 feet away after some tweaking.

:iiam:

What type of "tweaking" did you do?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Mozi posted:

I have a PN64H5000 (amazing TV, by the way - hard to overstate how good the picture is) and sit about 8-9 feet away. Whether I notice the pentile-ness or not depends on a few factors, like the quality of the image source and whether there are large patches of a bright color, but I also just got used to it to a degree and don't notice it as much as I did initially, where it did bug me at 8 feet (after watching TV for a while I even saw the pattern when looking away.) But I got used to it and my brain doesn't make a big deal about it or really notice it anymore. The one place I can still tell is in white subtitles but it doesn't bother me too much because the rest of the picture is outstanding. If you're buying a pentile screen sight unseen it would be good to have room in your viewing area to scootch back a bit if it bugs you.

I just hung this TV up last night. Did you follow any break in rules? Did you use any specific calibration settings?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Samsung people running plasma break in slides. Just FYI, your tv has a scroller under the settings and burn protection. It will do the same thing.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Samsung people running plasma break in slides. Just FYI, your tv has a scroller under the settings and burn protection. It will do the same thing.

so just run the stroller? How long do I need to do this for?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

so just run the stroller? How long do I need to do this for?

Many people say for the first 200 hours of content, either run slides or make sure you are watching full screen/keep static logos away..

Then i might run the scroller for 2 hours or so a week after i go to bed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming Insignia TV's aren't the greatest, but there's one of these at a local store, open box, for like $325.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/2878482.p?id=1219080767609&skuId=2878482

The primary purpose is to replace a decent 46" front projection Sony that we've had for a while. I just want something I can mount on a wall to keep my 2 year old from messing with it. That and I'm tired of having a huge amount of over-scan off to the sides since it makes most modern game HUD's a pain. Also, I'm tired of paying for bulb replacements.

I just want something that looks decent-ish enough, and it's principal use is going to be Wild Kratt's, Super Why, various Real Housewives shows, and occasional gaming.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Many people say for the first 200 hours of content, either run slides or make sure you are watching full screen/keep static logos away..

What's the worst case if you just start normal use right out of the box?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

This is pretty much what I did with my F8500 for the first two or three months, nothing but full screen content. I didn't run the scrubber until after I watched my first widescreen film on the set, Godzilla. "Oh poo poo! Black bars are still on my screen!" Then I ran the scrubber for about 5 minutes after forgetting I had that option. :downs:

I'm still a bit paranoid (the image retention still freaks me out after watching a widescreen film) but I've calmed down quite a bit. I have noticed that there seems to be more image retention within the first few minutes of turning the TV on (especially with the main Apple TV screen or Netflix menus) but not after the TV has been on for a few hours. I'm assuming this is a thing inherent to plasma televisions.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

AzCoug posted:

What type of "tweaking" did you do?

Just the calibrations from the AVS forum, with slight deviations for my specific set.

As far as content, I started watching letterboxed movies the day I got it, no issues with burn in. IR seems less than the Panny S1 it replaced.

The screen does seem to be more reflective than the Panasonic though, so I have to close shades on bright sunny days to avoid direct light.

Overall, I couldn't be happier for $750 delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

What's the worst case if you just start normal use right out of the box?

Worst case would be burn in, but its unlikely. The idea is that the phosphers age faster in the first ~200 hours.