Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh no, statistically Minnesota will have one trans student athlete every (1 / (5 * 1.7%) =) 11.6 years!!

Yeah. If they're legitimately concerned about protecting girls from harassment and assault like they pretend they are, they'd be focusing their efforts on cisgender males.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Honestly I'm really kinda ticked at the little bitches who ran that newspaper ad. If I had a nice slush fund I'd try and see if they could be sued for false advertising or something. Because clearly their only justification for putting "a male wants to shower with your daughter" is the XY chromosome / may-possibly-still-have-a-penis bit, but it'd be great to drag it through a trial where these people would be put on the stand and be forced to answer a lot of uncomfortable questions about their views regarding the worth of humans. It's almost trivial to rhetorically back them into a corner, for example getting someone to agree "yeah XX chromosome is female XY is male, you shouldn't be treated differently" because then well guess what you're a bigot because obviously if you believe this that means you view genetic abnormalities (like Down Syndrome) as unhuman and nobody with weird genetic poo poo should be required to be treated with basic human rights.

For sure, people who love to spout off bigotry about this are ignorant about the most basic facts of sex and gender.

Heh, someone should demand XYY males stay out of "regular" XY male showers and stay off their teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thankfully, genetic testing and insurance mandates will take care of the whole "chromosomally different" angle within our.lifetimes.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Edited... gently caress

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 4, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:toot: High school league votes to let transgender athletes pick their teams :toot:

Vote was 18-1 with one abstaining. Apparently 33 other states have already done this? I haven't heard much about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Ah okay, yeah I suspect there's truth to that, and that the number of people identifying as bisexuals are depressed from the dual forces of a society with strong taboos against same-sex attraction plus the conscious cultivation of gay identity and gay solidarity to fight against those taboos. The phenomenon of situational homosexual behavior among straight-identifying people that's limited to periods when they're solely among members of the same sex indicates some degree of malleability anyway. I wonder if anyone has links to any papers about that...

As for your secondary point that I was being a dick to OwlFancier and my tone wasn't called for, yeah, you're right I was. Sorry, OwlFancier, I shouldn't have been such a jerk about it.

Horribly late to reply to this as I had a busy week at work and didn't feel up to coherent debate when it was posted, but no worries, it's a subject usually debated by monumentally lovely people so I can't at all fault your distaste for it, and also thankyou to everyone who contributed to the discussion as it was extremely helpful. Apologies once more for the somewhat unpleasant derail.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

Thankfully, genetic testing and insurance mandates will take care of the whole "chromosomally different" angle within our.lifetimes.

Taken care of with what? Abortions? Is eugenics going to be a thing now?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

Heh, someone should demand XYY males stay out of "regular" XY male showers and stay off their teams.

Or start smoking 2 packs a day to get rid of that extra y chromosome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty sure genetic testing was banned in employment and healthcare a few years ago. At least in being used to deny claims or a job opportunity.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some good news!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-announces-protections-transgender-workers-27697573

quote:

The Justice Department is now interpreting federal law to explicitly prohibit workplace discrimination against transgender people, according to a memo released Thursday by Attorney General Eric Holder.

That means the Justice Department will be able to bring legal claims on behalf of people who say they've been discriminated against by state and local public employers based on sex identity.
In defending lawsuits, the federal government also will no longer take the position that Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act, which bans sex discrimination, does not protect against workplace discrimination on the basis of gender status.

The memo released Thursday is part of a broader Obama administration effort to afford workplace protection for transgender employees. In July, President Barack Obama ordered employment protection for gay and transgender employees who work for the U.S. government or for companies holding federal contracts.

The new position is a reversal in position for the Justice Department, which in 2006 stated that Title VII did not cover discrimination based on transgender status.

The gay rights movement is rightly celebrated for how far they've come, and while transgender rights and visibility aren't as high profile, it's encouraging to see these sorts of successes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Horribly late to reply to this as I had a busy week at work and didn't feel up to coherent debate when it was posted, but no worries, it's a subject usually debated by monumentally lovely people so I can't at all fault your distaste for it, and also thankyou to everyone who contributed to the discussion as it was extremely helpful. Apologies once more for the somewhat unpleasant derail.

I think I was having a bad week or something. Mm, sorry I was needlessly dickish and I've enjoyed your posts in other threads.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Taken care of with what? Abortions? Is eugenics going to be a thing now?

If by eugenics you mean "prevent children with terrible genetic illnesses like trisomy or Tay-Sachs or muscular dystrophy from being born and forcing parents to go through literally the worst possible thing and children to lead nasty painful short lived", then yes.

If by eugenics you mean "aryan babies only plox", nobody's suggesting that and there isn't anything wrong with it anyway. We already do that by not having our mates randomly assigned to us

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

visceril posted:

If by eugenics you mean "prevent children with terrible genetic illnesses like trisomy or Tay-Sachs or muscular dystrophy from being born and forcing parents to go through literally the worst possible thing and children to lead nasty painful short lived", then yes.

Yeah, we've been here for a decade or more and it kicks rear end. Less kids with awful diseases, never mind the huge possible reduction in things like Huntington's disease (one generation of selection pretty much kills out a dominant genetic condition) which just reduces suffering dramatically. If anyone wanted to complain about it, you're a generation too late, assuming you're not some Santorum-style wingnut.

quote:

If by eugenics you mean "aryan babies only plox", nobody's suggesting that and there isn't anything wrong with it anyway. We already do that by not having our mates randomly assigned to us

This stuff is problematic as hell. Choosing your partner or child on the basis of race is racist as hell, and the kind of thing we need to educate people out of at a young age. But that's entirely a side issue to genetic screening.

I think what the original poster was trying to get at is that with genetic screening (I figure we'll be doing it for routine medical purposes very soon, since it can tell you a decent amount) that people who are XXY, XYY, or whatever other non-standard combination will know instead of being able to go through life assuming they are a standard male. While I'd hope this might make a bunch of the idiots more accepting, I honestly doubt it-- the number of people with these conditions is very small (XYY is 1 in 1000 males, XXY about the same) so if the transphobes were willing to screw over one small minority to protect their precious little gender roles, I have no doubts they'd do it to another one.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rkajdi posted:

While I'd hope this might make a bunch of the idiots more accepting, I honestly doubt it-- the number of people with these conditions is very small (XYY is 1 in 1000 males, XXY about the same) so if the transphobes were willing to screw over one small minority to protect their precious little gender roles, I have no doubts they'd do it to another one.

Yeah, transphobes don't actually care about genetics; it's just an excuse for their bigotry. They don't stop everyone they meet and ask for a dna test before deciding to treat them as a man or woman, it's only when transgender people are involved that they suddenly decide it's what's really relevant when determining gender.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, we've been here for a decade or more and it kicks rear end. Less kids with awful diseases, never mind the huge possible reduction in things like Huntington's disease (one generation of selection pretty much kills out a dominant genetic condition) which just reduces suffering dramatically. If anyone wanted to complain about it, you're a generation too late, assuming you're not some Santorum-style wingnut.

This stuff is problematic as hell. Choosing your partner or child on the basis of race is racist as hell, and the kind of thing we need to educate people out of at a young age. But that's entirely a side issue to genetic screening.

I think what the original poster was trying to get at is that with genetic screening (I figure we'll be doing it for routine medical purposes very soon, since it can tell you a decent amount) that people who are XXY, XYY, or whatever other non-standard combination will know instead of being able to go through life assuming they are a standard male. While I'd hope this might make a bunch of the idiots more accepting, I honestly doubt it-- the number of people with these conditions is very small (XYY is 1 in 1000 males, XXY about the same) so if the transphobes were willing to screw over one small minority to protect their precious little gender roles, I have no doubts they'd do it to another one.

Otoh, the window between legal and safe abortion and genetic screening test results is shrinking rapidly. Also for some reason (I live in the south) they will only tell you if a potential child will be afflicted, rather than simply being a carrier, because either Jesus or slippery slope bullshit.

Yeah instead of eradicating a terrible illness lets go ahead a deprive the next generation of natural pregnancy or force abortions on them as well. IVF is totes fun getting hormone shots rules!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
As for selecting your partner you are attracted to people you find attractive. If racial biases lead you to find certain skin tones or features more attractive than another, you're already doing eugenics. And you definitely are acting on societal standards of beauty.

Plus, there's that other factor where you're attraxtsd to what you're attracted to, ain't nothin gonna change that.*

*unless you're that guy who by sheer anime-style force of liberal will changes their sexual preference.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

visceril posted:

Wasn't arguing against that, but sure I can agree that less suffering is a good thing.

visceril posted:

"I" didn't mean anything. The poster I was responding to was speaking about xxy and xyy type situations becoming a thing of the past. And, I'm assuming since a lot of LGBT stuff is biological, it can be tested for an eliminated too (of that's the woman's choice).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spacetoaster posted:

Wasn't arguing against that, but sure I can agree that less suffering is a good thing.

"I" didn't mean anything. The poster I was responding to was speaking about xxy and xyy type situations becoming a thing of the past. And, I'm assuming since a lot of LGBT stuff is biological, it can be tested for an eliminated too (of that's the woman's choice).

Biological and genetic are not synonymous. It's entirely possible for orientation to be entirely determined before birth but simultaneously impossible to detect with a genetic test.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Biological and genetic are not synonymous. It's entirely possible for orientation to be entirely determined before birth but simultaneously impossible to detect with a genetic test.

That could be. But I start wondering where people are going with the talk about genetic tests and how those who are "chromosomally different" won't be a problem in the future.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Being chromosomally different is something we can already solve with basic genetic testing. And I hope we do, "openness to the unbidden" arguments aside, why allow suffering to exist in the name of diversity? I'm not saying we shouldn't respect people with Downs I'm saying we should prevent future people from suffering from downs, like we did with polio.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I work in genetics, and based on the rate of technological progress with genetic sequencing, I think in ~20-40 years everyone here will have their whole genome sequenced. It'll become a routine clinical test, probably combined with the usual blood tests you get.

For those worried that their insurance provider will drop them after finding whatever weird genetic thing they have... I don't think that'll be so much an issue once enough people are sequenced because EVERYONE has SOMETHING.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Whole Internet posted:

For those worried that their insurance provider will drop them after finding whatever weird genetic thing they have... I don't think that'll be so much an issue once enough people are sequenced because EVERYONE has SOMETHING.
It's also already illegal to do that, and unlikely to get enough of a push to overrule that law.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FDA is finally removing the ban on gay and bisexual men giving blood.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

As long as they have not had any sex in a year. It's also interesting that the FDA did this in opposition to the panel of experts they put together to research this issue.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

As long as they have not had any sex in a year. It's also interesting that the FDA did this in opposition to the panel of experts they put together to research this issue.

Did the panel recommend continuing the ban or removing it altogether?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

I'm gonna guess remove completely because panels of experts don't have to face political pressure from republicans

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Saraiguma posted:

Oh they were all for continuing the ban. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/12/fda-panel-gay-blood-donation-ban

visceril posted:

I'm gonna guess remove completely because panels of experts don't have to face political pressure from republicans

That cuts both ways.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

drat it! I guess science is still for sale.

SOMEONE didn't watch Cosmos

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The "men who have sex with men can only give blood after a year with no same-sex sexual intercourse" is what we've had here for a few years so it might be turning into the new consensus. I don't see why the ban is still needed considering the differences in proportions of STIs between gay men and heterosexuals is falling and screening technologies have drastically improved; but I'm not a doctor and have no medical expertise so I can't really have an informed decision on the thing.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sure, all you gay and bisexual men can give blood now...

...if you haven't had gay sex with a man for 12 months.

edit: beaten like the penis of a gay man practicing abstinence so he can give blood next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The original article I saw didn't mention the 12 month thing, which is a dumb restriction.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FlamingLiberal posted:

The original article I saw didn't mention the 12 month thing, which is a dumb restriction.

Yeah if you're in a committed relationship it basically doesn't change anything. Even if you're not , 12 months is a long rear end time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How can you test for that, though? Pinkie swear?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I mean really you could always lie, that's always been true. It's just the principle of the fact that people have to lie about something dumb like that to begin with.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be wiling to guess that the number of self-identified "straight" men lying about having had man to man sex is higher than the number of self-identified gay men lying.

But whatever, Ragnarok Angel is right.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

IceAgeComing posted:

The "men who have sex with men can only give blood after a year with no same-sex sexual intercourse" is what we've had here for a few years so it might be turning into the new consensus. I don't see why the ban is still needed considering the differences in proportions of STIs between gay men and heterosexuals is falling and screening technologies have drastically improved; but I'm not a doctor and have no medical expertise so I can't really have an informed decision on the thing.

MSM are still ~60 times more likely to contract HIV than other men. The difference may be falling, but men who have sex with men still account for a staggeringly high percentage of cases of HIV/AIDS in the United States. If you are trying to screen against HIV, it seems pretty reasonable to screen out a small minority that accounts for literally half of people with the disease, and further screening against prostitution, needle-drug users, and people who have sex with MSM has you screening a sizable majority of people with the disease. As a screening tool, that's obviously useful.

I'm not saying that the ban is necessarily justified in a modern context, in 2014 with current and future medical technology, but hesitation is definitely understandable, especially since "giving blood" isn't a civil right or important social function.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Periodiko posted:

MSM are still ~60 times more likely to contract HIV than other men. The difference may be falling, but men who have sex with men still account for a staggeringly high percentage of cases of HIV/AIDS in the United States. If you are trying to screen against HIV, it seems pretty reasonable to screen out a small minority that accounts for literally half of people with the disease, and further screening against prostitution, needle-drug users, and people who have sex with MSM has you screening a sizable majority of people with the disease. As a screening tool, that's obviously useful.

I'm not saying that the ban is necessarily justified in a modern context, in 2014 with current and future medical technology, but hesitation is definitely understandable, especially since "giving blood" isn't a civil right or important social function.

Well there's also the point that even if you test all the blood with 99.9% accuracy that's still a lot of mistakes on the kind of scale we're talking about with blood banks. And when a test does come back positive, that's an entire batch of blood that must be thrown out.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Why not just ask about anal sex then, since that's the reason gay men are far likelier to contract HIV?

Then at least you aren't equating being gay with being a filthy disease carrier. If you think the ban on blood donation isn't something invoked by bigots as a sign of the moral wrongness of being gay, there's plenty out on the internet that shows the problem.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Political Whores posted:

Why not just ask about anal sex then, since that's the reason gay men are far likelier to contract HIV?

Then at least you aren't equating being gay with being a filthy disease carrier. If you think the ban on blood donation isn't something invoked by bigots as a sign of the moral wrongness of being gay, there's plenty out on the internet that shows the problem.

Yeah, I think the rule should be 'Have you received anal sex in the last 12 months?" for men and women.

Is the rate of catching HIV significantly higher if you are the penetrative partner in anal?

Edit: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/risk.html Suggests it is higher then vaginal intercourse, but only just.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Political Whores posted:

Though in fairness, what isn't invokes as a sign of the moral wrongness of being gay?

We have a similar rule over in the UK (though I think they may have repealed it recently? I haven't given blood in a while) and it always struck me as strange, but if there is a statistical correlation between gay sex and HIV, it's kind of difficult to argue against it.

It's not very nice, but, well, I've lost family due to poor blood screening, so call me partisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The thing is that the questions clearly don't prevent people from donating, especially the riskiest group of all: men who have sex with men but outwardly rpesent as straight, often even being married.

They would never answer the questions honestly.

• Locked thread