Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Renoistic posted:

In the context of his girlfriend telling him she has nightmares about the day some monster cut like a dozen of her classmates into ribbons, yes.

I mean, is that really a situation any of us can put ourselves in, though? How the hell would you react to that in his shoes? Pardon the guy for not being able to pull a PTSD therapy session out of his rear end on five seconds notice. :v:

Like, yeah, it wasn't fantastic advice, but it's not sociopathic (the inherent goal of Shinichi telling Murano this is to try and help her feel better- sociopaths don't do that) and other than the wording being something Migi would say (because it's a paraphrase of something Migi said) it speaks more to him being kind of a weird goon when put on the spot than anything else.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, is that really a situation any of us can put ourselves in, though? How the hell would you react to that in his shoes? Pardon the guy for not being able to pull a PTSD therapy session out of his rear end on five seconds notice. :v:

You tell her that grief and depression are a normal and understandable reaction to this sort of thing, and that time is the only thing that's going to help. You then offer your moral support if she needs it.

You don't tell her to quit being so butthurt because human lives don't matter much anyways.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Renoistic posted:

There's a pretty big possibility Migi would have cut down Kana himself. After all he only promised he would show himself, not to let her live to tell the tale :v:

That's honestly where I thought they were going with it. :ohdear:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't think he would because migi has never deceived Shinichi to that extent before, and Kana wasn't much of a reason to. Saving her certainly puts Shinichi at risk, but at the same time Migi has been more tolerant to that attitude for a while now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't think he would because migi has never deceived Shinichi to that extent before, and Kana wasn't much of a reason to. Saving her certainly puts Shinichi at risk, but at the same time Migi has been more tolerant to that attitude for a while now.

Right, yeah, keeping Shinichi sweet has been a higher and higher survival priority for him. Some of that may be that MAD is a dumb idea if you want to live above all else, some may be that there's less and less preventing Shinichi from just ripping his arm off and beating it against a wall until it stops moving if their relationship sours, and some of it may be that he's a jerkish lead character voiced by Rie Kugimiya, so he's secretly a big softy who totally wants into our hero's pants.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Harettazetta posted:

That's honestly where I thought they were going with it. :ohdear:

Yeah, me too. I thought Migi looked pretty shifty when he made his promise. Of course, that might just be how he always looks.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Darth Walrus posted:

and some of it may be that he's a jerkish lead character voiced by Rie Kugimiya,

What? Are you making a TsundeRie joke or are you confusing the VA :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Emalde posted:

What? Are you making a TsundeRie joke or are you confusing the VA :ohdear:

Whoops, got 'em confused.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Me, halfway through the episode: "Kana's behaving like a huge chuuni, and it's going to get her killed one of this days."

Me, at the end of the episode: "Welp, that was quicker than I thought it would be."

e. Also I have to say that Shinichi handled this the dumbest way possible. Instead of waiting for Migi to fall asleep and telling the whole deal to Kana in private he should have told Kana while Migi was awake, but in public, like in a cafe or something like that. That way when Kana demanded proof he could have just stabbed Migi or something, and in that situation Migi could not have caused a scene or they would have been in big trouble.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I knew this was gonna happen, but still :smith:

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks having the logo of the parasite-party be a big smiling sun be some sort of diss towards the liberal democratic party? Also let's hope the second cour OP/ED will be better because I'm still mad at this OP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WitchFetish posted:

I knew this was gonna happen, but still :smith:

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks having the logo of the parasite-party be a big smiling sun be some sort of diss towards the liberal democratic party? Also let's hope the second cour OP/ED will be better because I'm still mad at this OP.

Why would you be mad at such a good OP?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Goddamn, people on this show have survival instincts of a moth in a lighthouse. No wonder parasites think human race is not long for this world, with such ample evidence of our suicidal nature.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

Goddamn, people on this show have survival instincts of a moth in a lighthouse. No wonder parasites think human race is not long for this world, with such ample evidence of our suicidal nature.

Not really. Kana and Shinichi are the only ones who get themselves into these scenarios, but Shinichi has Migi and Kana is a romantic idiot.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ViggyNash posted:

Not really. Kana and Shinichi are the only ones who get themselves into these scenarios, but Shinichi has Migi and Kana is a romantic idiot.
And what's her name with paint thinner.
And those people in previous episode who decided to follow blood-covered maniac who just slaughtered a bunch of yakuza.
And students in Shimada's massacre episode giggling like idiots at a freaked out teacher telling them to run.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this show killed Miyuki Sawashiro and for that i can not forgive them

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

And those people in previous episode who decided to follow blood-covered maniac who just slaughtered a bunch of yakuza.
And students in Shimada's massacre episode giggling like idiots at a freaked out teacher telling them to run.

At least one of those (the last one) I could see happening IRL.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Forgall posted:

Ok, I'll concede the first two, but that last one I too could totally see happening.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Forgall posted:

This is very true to real life, actually. I've seen people in college calmly sit in the indoor campus cafeteria and eat their lunches while there was a real fire and you could actually see the smoke from the fire not very far away. Unless they can't see the danger properly a lot of people don't give a poo poo. This goes double for cocky high schoolers.

I could also totally see the general public voting an emotionless psychopath into office :v:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 26, 2014

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aww Kana...this is just as sad as it was when I read it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kana had already approached the wrong person like 4 times so I don't know what made her so sure she could home in on Shinichi that time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the tragedy of Kana's death is kinda neutered by how much of an idiot she was being

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
some folks are saying that while she was annoying it's still a heartfelt death because she's a teenager in love who thinks she knows everything ~and we all go through that~ but I'm not really buying into it. good riddance Kana.

I will say that I actually felt bad for Mitsuo though. He's definitely a dick but drat his girlfriend got stolen from him by some nerd and then she died.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kana had already approached the wrong person like 4 times so I don't know what made her so sure she could home in on Shinichi that time.

Because she 'felt' someone hanging out at the same place they had their last meeting, she figured it must be him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Because she was a romantic and a stupid teenager and convinced that she must be able to tell Shinichi apart because they were ~soul mates~.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this show killed Miyuki Sawashiro and for that i can not forgive them

Good riddance. Sawashiro has an instantly recognisable voice, and I honestly find it very distracting every time she shows up in an anime.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Mikl posted:

Good riddance. Sawashiro has an instantly recognisable voice, and I honestly find it very distracting every time she shows up in an anime.

And her voice is gorgeous, and not another one of the dime-a-dozen Kana Hanazawa sound-alikes. She doesn't have a huge range, but she never hams it up, even when the script is loving awful. (Looking at you Gun Gale Online.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Because she was a romantic and a stupid teenager and convinced that she must be able to tell Shinichi apart because they were ~soul mates~.

That's still pretty annoying. It'd be nice if there was at least a scene showing how she has some kind of confirmation bias or something going on with it. Having her just spend the whole episode just flat out stating "I can tell him apart" without any kind of reasoning to it was kind of stupid.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

wtf!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Mikl posted:

Them's fighting words

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, she thought she had learned the difference. Remember the scene with the parasite woman? She thought she felt different to Shinichi, went to check, and bingo, she was right.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sophism posted:

And her voice is gorgeous, and not another one of the dime-a-dozen Kana Hanazawa sound-alikes. She doesn't have a huge range, but she never hams it up, even when the script is loving awful. (Looking at you Gun Gale Online.)

Oh I agree, it's just that it's super distracting when she shows up because I tend to focus on her voice rather than anything else :shobon:

(The same goes for other voice actors that suffer from Samevoice Syndrome, though. It's not just Sawashiro.)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Soothe your sadness over the death of this Miyuki Sawashiro character by watching the Seo episodes of Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun, Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, or Hanamonogatari.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Soothe your sadness over the death of this Miyuki Sawashiro character by watching the Seo episodes of Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun, Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, or Hanamonogatari.

You had me until you mentioned a Monogatari series. I'll pass.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wish the other girl died instead of Kana, one of them's about 3x more likeable and interesting than the other.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I wish the other girl died instead of Kana, one of them's about 3x more likeable and interesting than the other.

why would you say something like that?

are you... are you really TheKingOfSprings-kun?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kana was dumb and I was happy she died, in both the anime and the manga. Peace.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Everyone's loving dumb except Shinichi. Even then, before his transformation, his right arm constantly told him to knock his poo poo off when he started acting like another dipshit human.

Also seconding feeling bad for Mitsuo. Then he tried to at least beat the hell out of the nerd that stole and got his gf killed and got his rear end handed to him in one punch. drat. He was a punk, but he didn't deserve that much.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah the tragedy of Kana's death is kinda neutered by how much of an idiot she was being

no! she was defying his direct orders because all women want is to date a fixer-upper, and it is their prerogative to find something the guy either says or does, and disagree with it. try convincing a man going steady in a polygamous relationship with a flat, clingy two-dimensional girl and his right hand that u are the prime dish, and, well, u gots u a martyr. 残念ですね、

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sophism posted:

She actually has huge range, she's just typecast a lot. Check her list of appearances, you'll be sure to find some surprises.

• Locked thread