Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And if you ever want to skew your sights to the elder series

Kamen Rider- The start of it all! And it really shows. Kamen Rider was an experiment to compete with Return of Ultraman, while doing its own thing, and a number of factors made it keep evolving as the episode count ran on. The series as a whole isn't subbed yet, hopefully one day, but the first 13 episodes form their own mini series and have a very unique style, different from the rest. It is a drat fun show, though very shakey at times.

Kamen Rider V3- Kamen Rider ran for 98 episodes- so for episodes 99 and 100, the production team decided to dive head first into a brand new hero and scenario- Thus was born KAMEN RIDER V3! As this is literally coming off of the original production run with no breaks, it hits the ground running and never really stops. The series is super serious at all times and the stakes are always dire and severe, even in the face of absurd or just silly situations. That may be a turtle man with a bazooka on his back, but he can and will nuke Tokyo off of the face of the planet! V3 had several fantastic villains and is fully subbed if you know where to look. It also had the first ever secondary Rider, Rider-Man, and really set the stage for how secondary Riders would work in the Heisei era for good and ill.

Kamen Rider X- A dramatic, somber series, that happens to have the most ridiculous villains this side of Super 1. The first half is made up of Greek and Roman Mythological threats, which is all very cool- the latter half features a Historical figure mixed with an animal, up to and including Starfish Hitler! Ant Capone might be the best thing ever though. The series has HK subs floating around if you're lucky, but otherwise very little of it is subbed anywhere.

Kamen Rider Amazon- Totally unlike previous Riders, this hero hails from the self titled AMAZON! Fighting more like a monster than a Rider, Amazon tears his way through foes with his fangs and claws, and the series is also the shortest Kamen Rider series ever. Inarguably the goriest Rider series, even if the gore is little more than foam and water, Amazon is none the less the single most friendly Rider of the entire bunch, so friendly that Fourze has things to learn from him! It's a weird series and drastically different from what has come before or after, but not a bad one by any means. It has a slow latter half, but good fun all around. it is fully subbed by Hi No Tori

Kamen Rider Stronger is a down right amazing series. It admittedly has a very poor start- the first 8 or so episodes suffer from Amazon's slump and generally aren't all that good, with poor action, generic plots, and awful fights- but then a switch is flipped and the series metaphorically CHARGES UP! From there the perspective of the show keeps changing and the status is never quo as new lead villains appear and die, dynamics are formed and shattered, and lives are lost. It all leads up to a fantastic second half where a cavalcade of powerful generals show up to back stab and betray one another while trying to kill Stronger as well, and in the end *ALL* the previous Riders and their human alter egos show up one by one to help Stronger, ending in a massive multi Rider crossover event. A truly unique series, an end of the original Kamen Rider era, and now fully subbed, thanks to the joint efforts of Kit Subs and Midnight Crew Subs.

Kamen Rider Sky Rider picks up about five years after Stronger- initially starting out as a quasi remake of the original, with the title of the show being NEW Kamen Rider, Sky Rider would earn his name once his predecessors start appearing one after the other. Sky Rider is a slower show at first, and the villains are notably less competent than some before, but generally a very fun show that sadly isn't fully subbed yet.

Kamen Rider Super 1- The original Fourze! Sort of. This is the first SPACE Rider, though unlike Fourze, Super 1 was more martial arts than friend miester. Super 1's series starts off very heavy on the martial arts/kung fu blend, though the latter half of the series seemed to trade that off for flat out silliness and near parody kaijin, including a bar of soap monster and a basketball goal monster. It also is not fully subbed, sadly. One day.

Kamen Rider ZX kind of counts? It was a one shot movie that's been subbed, that was meant to be a tv series but never quite made it. If you feel interested in checking it out, can't hurt. Features all the previous Riders, though only in suit.

Kamen Rider Black is a stand out of the franchise. Aiming for a generally grimmer, more intense tone, it mostly succeeded. The action was always tense and the suits possibly the best in the franchise, some awful outliers aside. A super high energy show, Black falters in being a weird inbetween series- half of its run count is dedicated to its core plot, while the other half is dedicated to MOTW goodness. The monsters almost always make up for the filler nature of the episodes, but are utterly skippable if you only want to see the storyline play out to its dramatic conclusion. I myself wrote up an episode guide for Black in this thread somewhere, giving a clear road map for the plot important episodes and can always dig that up again. It is fully subbed by Century Kings, and is another personal favorite, right behind V3.

Kamen Rider Black RX is the follow up to Black, the only sequel series in Kamen Rider thus far. It does not stick with the same dire, dramatic tone of Black, instead opting for a more light hearted tone, with a plot more like the then popular Metal Hero series- even giving RX powers similar to those Metal Heroes, notably a light saber. Regardless while not as plot heavy, it has colorful villains, good action scenes, and great music. It has HK subs floating around that are pretty good, up until the last two episodes where they just have a stroke and go insane.

Kamen Rider Shin was meant to be the dawn of a new era for Rider, tackling something the creator had wanted to do since the start- a realistic monsterous Rider. The movie is grim, dramatic, bloody, tragic, and...not all that much fun. Due to these things, it tanked at the box office and the supposed new start for Rider very quickly got shunted off into obscurity.

Kamen Rider ZO is kind of like an entire series shoved into an hour long feature. Multiple villains, a clear big bad with multiple forms, lots of chaos and action... it's nothing great, but as an action movie it's pretty fantastic.

Kamen Rider J is a straight up creature feature with a near identical Rider as ZO, only he can grow to giant size!

Kamen Rider Kuuga is the ACTUAL dawn of a new era for Rider! The last series Ishinomori, the creator of the franchise, was apart of the development for before his passing, Kuuga is an extremely unique series in tone and message. Kuuga has a gritty, realistic style no other Rider series attempts, with brutal close fights and a more Police Drama style shooting and writing. The over all tone succeeds so well to be nearly suffocating, as it pushes a message that violence, while some times needed, is always bad and gaining power to fight is a dangerous thing. It set the stage for Heisei Riders as we know them, and even here with Drive and Gaim we see the echos of what Kuuga started. Kuuga is tied with Black for my second favorite Rider series over all, just because it's not a FUN show to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

That's a good rundown, except you missed that Fourze has the most insufferable secondary Rider and his presence nearly kills the middle portion of the series.

That's right, I said it. Meteor is more insufferable than Accel. Deal with it. :colbert:

Interesting point but actually Meteor and Accel are both cool, and good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Judging from the thread title, can I assume that Kamen Rider Decade is not very good?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Judging from the thread title, can I assume that Kamen Rider Decade is not very good?
There are people who will tell you that Decade is a good way to get the cliffnotes versions of the previous nine series, and figure out which of them would interest you. This is a lie told by morons.

Kamen Rider Decade is what would happen if you wrote fanfiction about your super special self-insert character who went back and fixed everything you thought was wrong with the endings of the previous seasons, while at the same time being the most important and most powerful rider ~ever~, and even though he's such a good and important guy, everyone wants to kill him! I'm not making a word of that up, that's literally Decade's plot.

Edit There is exactly one scene in Decade worth watching, and it requires no context whatsoever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_CRESxNFE

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 23, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just glad they don't seem to be running with the "Decade shows up for a special bonus episode" thing every season.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I'm probably going to start with W then move on to Fourze. If I'm ever feeling bold I might try Black RX. A shame about Decade, I really like the aesthetic of what I've seen.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Decade is fully worth watching for the aesthetic. It's story is a mess, but there are many, many scenes and sequences that are worth watching. Some might need a bit of context (or at least an understanding of the different forms), but it's a fun watch all-round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTqRlIRiYk

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now that classes are over, I really need to watch Kuuga. I got to...the Rising Titan episode, I think, and I was enjoying the hell out of it. Plus it and Hibiki are the only Heisei series I haven't watched.

About Decade, it's really not a good series, but I find Tsukasa really entertaining as a lead and I don't mind him popping up from time to time to be a snarky bastard. Also I really liked the inspiring speeches to each Rider, if they're online somewhere, I'd love to read or listen to them again.

Raserys posted:

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I'm probably going to start with W then move on to Fourze. If I'm ever feeling bold I might try Black RX. A shame about Decade, I really like the aesthetic of what I've seen.

I'd recommend watching OOO before Fourze, if only to be able to watch Movie War Megamax on time, as 1) it is canon to Fourze's plot (if unimportant at large) and most importantly, 2) it is really good. That said, you might want to have someone guide you on what to watch or not of OOO, since OOO is very much a Kobayashi series - great beginning, great ending, great villains, okay lead, intolerable middle part that drags on forever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raserys posted:

I would seriously recommend Black first- while RX is a pretty lovely sequel, no matter how good a show you think it is, Black does come first and has some truly iconic things happen.

Unless light saber Riders just tickle your fancy more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anybody want to give a rundown of the post-Kuuga shows up to Decade? I haven't seen enough of them to give more than cursory glance impressions.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd recommend watching OOO before Fourze, if only to be able to watch Movie War Megamax on time, as 1) it is canon to Fourze's plot (if unimportant at large) and most importantly, 2) it is really good. That said, you might want to have someone guide you on what to watch or not of OOO, since OOO is very much a Kobayashi series - great beginning, great ending, great villains, okay lead, intolerable middle part that drags on forever.

Is that one of those summer movie event things? The general impression I get is that OOO isn't a super great series, if I need to I'll look stuff up on the internet.

Burkion posted:

I would seriously recommend Black first- while RX is a pretty lovely sequel, no matter how good a show you think it is, Black does come first and has some truly iconic things happen.

Unless light saber Riders just tickle your fancy more.

I know Black is a really popular series, but I'm just not into ultra serious and gritty shows about people in punching each other in costumes. Same way with Sentai, I expect, I enjoy stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously. Of course, I'll dig into Black someday, since everyone seems to have fond memories of it, I'll just ease myself in first.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Out of curiosity, was there ever a crossover between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mraagvpeine posted:

Out of curiosity, was there ever a crossover between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai?

The first two Taisen movies feature Riders and Sentai teams, the third Taisen has a couple Sentai dudes show up for a bit, and Gaim and ToQger did a spring crossover episode.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mraagvpeine posted:

A lot of them. The more direct crossover would be Shinkenger and Decade where one plot thread started and you can only find out if you watch the other show (The End takes Genta's animal and you have to watch Decade's episode to see what happened).

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Raserys posted:

Is that one of those summer movie event things? The general impression I get is that OOO isn't a super great series, if I need to I'll look stuff up on the internet.

Movie Wars are the annual crossover films, where each new Rider crosses over with the previous Rider. Megamax is the OOO/Fourze one (featuring W) and is the best of them, by far. I haven't watched all of OOO (got bored at around episode 20 and haven't picked it up again yet) but still had no trouble following Megamax, though it does spoil part of the OOO ending.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Raserys posted:

OOO is really really good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raserys posted:

I know Black is a really popular series, but I'm just not into ultra serious and gritty shows about people in punching each other in costumes. Same way with Sentai, I expect, I enjoy stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously. Of course, I'll dig into Black someday, since everyone seems to have fond memories of it, I'll just ease myself in first.

Black is many things- GRITTY I'm not sure is ever one I'd call it. Way too BOMBASTIC and HIGH ENERGY and OVER THE TOP for that.

But I understand- we are polar opposites in this way. I love it when a series takes itself super seriously because that just helps me get into it all the more. Stuff like Garo, Ultraman (generally), certain Rider series...

There are sadly very few Sentai series that do this. Most of the ones I am aware of are from the 80s, or got massively retooled in their run.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Burkion posted:

There are sadly very few Sentai series that do this. Most of the ones I am aware of are from the 80s, or got massively retooled in their run.

I was going to suggest Go-Busters and then I remembered that you're the one who can't take it seriously because Red Buster is afraid of chickens.

Shinkenger?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Alas, the sad fate of Ohranger...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

I was going to suggest Go-Busters and then I remembered that you're the one who can't take it seriously because Red Buster is afraid of chickens.

Shinkenger?

I still need to try out Shinkenger. Was hoping the non TVN subs would finish before I gave it a shot though. From what I've heard it seems to mostly have the same tone as other Sentai though, but maybe not.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

OOO is really really good.

This. Yeah the middle is rough and doesn't go anywhere for a while, but in my opinion the show's atmosphere and amazing secondary cast (and entertaining at least if not necessarily interesting lead) made that portion far less troublesome than most people say. Kougami, Satonaka, Brotou, Date, they're all great, and Ankh is just fantastic. I highly recommend OOO, both as a good series and because it makes the great Megamax that much better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I still need to try out Shinkenger. Was hoping the non TVN subs would finish before I gave it a shot though. From what I've heard it seems to mostly have the same tone as other Sentai though, but maybe not.

I don't like Sentai nearly as much as Kamen Rider and Shinkenger is still ridiculously loving dope.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Anybody want to give a rundown of the post-Kuuga shows up to Decade? I haven't seen enough of them to give more than cursory glance impressions.

Problem: Nothing past Agito has complete non-TVN subs unless someone's finished something while I wasn't looking.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Burkion posted:

O-T are chugging along, they're up to episode 30, and were putting out episodes at a good pace after they got back into it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

I always forget that Gokaiger had mecha that weren't the Galleon. Did the individual bits ever get used for anything ever?

They were used once in the introductory episode and then once when chasing the Go-Onger power-up. This is one area where being part of a series hurt the show. The bot could have looked much better if it was just one huge transforming robot with a good paint job instead of having rainbow colored limbs but its sentai so no, you have to throw in the never actually useful individual forms too and make the thing look uglier.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So today I learned some dude is subbing Ryuki

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
RE, what to watch in OOO, a list I posted in the Gaim thread a while back:

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you're going to watch OOO, stop watching after Eiji gets the Gatakiriba combo, or after the first fakeout about Gotou getting the Birth Belt. Then start watching again about 20 episodes later when Gotou finally actually gets the Birth Belt, because absolutely nothing happens in the middle.

In faaaaact...

If you're going to watch OOO, watch the following. (Each episode is a two-parter thing, hence the pairing of episodes.)
1-6: Establishes the characters, and 6 ends with the first Combo, and a really cool fight.
9-10: Optional. One of the only appearances of the RaToraTa combo.
15-16: SaGoZo combo, bad poo poo goes down with Mezool, and the introduction of Kamen Rider Birth.
19-20: TaJaDor combo, and hints about what's going on with Ankh.
23-24: Optional. A really goofy pair of episodes, and also one of only two appearances of the ShaUTa combo.
25-26: More about what's going on with Ankh, and the first bits about another plot arc.
29-30: Ankh-episodes again, and the resolution of the seeds planted in 25 and 26.
31-34: Start of the arc about the Purple medals.
35-38: This is about where I can't describe why episodes are important without spoiling things.
40: Optional. The end of this episode is important, but nothing before it, and it's recapped at the start of...
41-48: The home stretch.

Huh. That's not nearly as many pointless episodes as I thought. Probably because some of the two-parters feel like they drag on. So, to put it another way, skip... 7-8, 11-14, 17-18, 21-22, 27-28, and probably 39-40.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Yeah OOO is frustrating with its two parters largely because you get an actual part of the overall arc in the first part and then it stops for the sake of continuing the self-contained one. You basically get half an episode every time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

jivjov posted:

The first two Taisen movies feature Riders and Sentai teams, the third Taisen has a couple Sentai dudes show up for a bit, and Gaim and ToQger did a spring crossover episode.

Tae posted:

A lot of them. The more direct crossover would be Shinkenger and Decade where one plot thread started and you can only find out if you watch the other show (The End takes Genta's animal and you have to watch Decade's episode to see what happened).

Everyone forgets Goranger vs. JAKQ when it comes to Sentai/Rider (and in this case Kikaider) crossovers. But I guess that only makes sense since both Decade and Gokaiger basically said "Nope Goranger vs. JAKQ never loving happened."

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Nothing truly relevant happened in that film, it was a spoken reference and some images. It wasn't worth referencing again literally over 30 years later.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

Everyone forgets Goranger vs. JAKQ when it comes to Sentai/Rider (and in this case Kikaider) crossovers. But I guess that only makes sense since both Decade and Gokaiger basically said "Nope Goranger vs. JAKQ never loving happened."

In sentai all versus movies are said to take place out of the (non-existent) main continuity. Of course Goranger vs. JAKQ "never happened." Gokaiger is its own universe where all of the previous stuff happened but as far as I can tell it isn't some sort of Ur timeline that the rest is based off of.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
According to scans linked to by Tokunation, Gaim Gaiden will finally reveal one of my questions of the series: where and who is the father of Takatora and Micchy?

http://news.tokunation.com/2014/12/25/kamen-rider-gaim-gaiden-reveals-new-characters-23612

It turns out he's being played by everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat dad from Double!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ryubee, he's everybody's daddy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Solaris Knight posted:

It turns out he's being played by everyone's favorite rear end in a top hat dad from Double!

Oh hell yes. That guy was a magnificent bad guy.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Hey so scanning Mach's bike in the Drive Driver creates Drive: Type Next. Take that as you will as we already know his next major power-up is Type Formula. Scanning the bike that comes with Mach's gun creates Drive: Type Next 01.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
doesn't he also have a Type: Deadheat or something too?

EDIT: ToQGer 41 is amazing. There's only one way this entire sequence could be better; if Super ToQ1 versus ToqQ6 Zed went on a bit longer

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first promos for Ninninger have been released:

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOYlBtYgSk
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEUFgSRNuo

Looks like the grunts are based on samurai this time around, there's some scenes of the individual mechs as well. Looks pretty good so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 28, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, the fight choreography in this is gonna be so great.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This season has great look to it. Kinda reminds me of some late 90's/early 00's stuff

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I still can't get over the fact that a robot pilots the robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Liar Lyre posted:

This season has great look to it. Kinda reminds me of some late 90's/early 00's stuff

I can see it, definitely. In the suits though, not the mechas.

• Locked thread