Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Retardog posted:

I worked at a movie theater fourteen years ago and someone managed to smuggle in an entire 18" pizza in the box. I wasn't even mad.

poo poo, I've let people in with pizzas, burgers, subways etc. if they are the only ones going in or there's like three other people. They'd have to eat before the movie started and I've (I would check) warned them that if they make a mess, they will clean it up. Rarely people even have that kind of stuff with them and if they do, they'll eat it before going in.
After reading these horror stories from the Muricas, am I understanding correctly that you are not allowed to bring your own snacks/candies/sodas/whatever to the showing there, but you have to buy them from the theater? Really?
Of course we make most of the revenue on poo poo like popcorn, sodas and stuff like that but people can bring their own poo poo in, why wouldn't they? Alcohol is the only one we won't allow but people sneak that in also, and we usually find out after the showing when someone is cleaning the place up. There's never been any complaints or problems with these things, but then again, we are not the biggest theater chain there is so things are not so Nazi-strict in our place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like going to Drafthouses but I never order more than a small appetizer. I miss dialogue if I'm crunching something. The cool thing about Alamo Drafthouses is the weird poo poo they show before movies and the cool one off showings they do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah, OK. See those sound nice. I would go to them if there was anything like that around me. We have some nice AMC's, but they are still just AMC's. Nothing special about them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Irish Joe posted:

Something about the chewing, slurping and clinking of silverware against plates, the constant movement of eaters and back and forth of the wait staff, and the smells would just annoy me too much. If I wanted that, I would just invite people to my house for dinner and a movie. When I go to the theater, I want that intense, focused theater experience. Otherwise, what's the point?

That's a fair point. The constant noise would probably be fairly off-putting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kush posted:

poo poo, I've let people in with pizzas, burgers, subways etc. if they are the only ones going in or there's like three other people. They'd have to eat before the movie started and I've (I would check) warned them that if they make a mess, they will clean it up. Rarely people even have that kind of stuff with them and if they do, they'll eat it before going in.
After reading these horror stories from the Muricas, am I understanding correctly that you are not allowed to bring your own snacks/candies/sodas/whatever to the showing there, but you have to buy them from the theater? Really?

It's really true here, but not a lot of people do this, so the movie theaters charge even more for them to make up for it. As an example, you can get a three inch by four inch box of two day old tortilla chips with a small cup of melted "cheese" on the side for $14.99 if you're in an expensive enough part of town. It's insane. We've never not just brought our own food because of that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Although, I suppose the down side is if you're not with a buddy and you get stuck next too someone eating a gross burger it might be a bit off putting. Which I have yet to experience. Honestly, I'm there for the rules and the beer. Actually, more so the rules. You'd be surprised at how well those rules really take people back. Especially their messages at the beginning where they have filmmakers threaten to kill and murder people who talk in the movies.

It scares those people.

Phil Tippett handled dinosaurs, don't think he won't handle you in the same fashion if you talk.

TBH, however, that plays at the Texas Theatre (where Oswald hid out after shooting Kennedy), which only serves alcohol. They do first-run films (in fact, they're one of the indie theaters that showed The Interview), but mostly they do limited releases and repertory showings: I've seen Beyond The Black Rainbow, Liquid Sky (with Q&A with director Slava Tsukermann), and 35mm print showing of The Terminator.

Irish Joe posted:

Something about the chewing, slurping and clinking of silverware against plates, the constant movement of eaters and back and forth of the wait staff, and the smells would just annoy me too much. If I wanted that, I would just invite people to my house for dinner and a movie. When I go to the theater, I want that intense, focused theater experience. Otherwise, what's the point?

Like CelticPredator said, you rarely hear people eating or see the wait staff serving food. Actually, most of the busiest activity will be during the before-screening Screenvision previews or the trailers and most people will be finished with their food before the first act. You do get the wait staff handing out the bill around the beginning of the 3rd and 4th acts, but they tend to be rather covert about it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It kind of depends on which Drafthouse you go to, also. The first one I ever went to had the little "tables" mounted so low that you could barely see your plate, especially if the film itself had a lot of dark shots. You also get to deal with the occasional burp or fart, which can not only ruin a moment, but would probably be super unpleasant if you were anywhere near that person. Being able to drink a few beers without feeling like a paranoid teenager is nice, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That seems trivially easy.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant each of them had a 12-pack. Which still, now that you mention coats, probably wasn't all that difficult at all. I was just impressed when the lights came on and there was like an entire row covered in empty cans. They were pretty drat quiet about it for how drunk they must have been by the end.

Certainly doesn't compare to someone smuggling in an entire pizza though, holy poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haha, alright now that's some dedication.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kush posted:

Of course we make most of the revenue on poo poo like popcorn, sodas and stuff like that but people can bring their own poo poo in, why wouldn't they? Alcohol is the only one we won't allow but people sneak that in also, and we usually find out after the showing when someone is cleaning the place up. There's never been any complaints or problems with these things, but then again, we are not the biggest theater chain there is so things are not so Nazi-strict in our place.

The way movie contracts are set up in the US, theaters will pay 80-110%* of ticket revenue to the distributors.

*The latter being something like Star Wars; you pay $1 to the theater, the theater pays $1.10 to the distributor, and makes up the difference with food.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant each of them had a 12-pack. Which still, now that you mention coats, probably wasn't all that difficult at all. I was just impressed when the lights came on and there was like an entire row covered in empty cans. They were pretty drat quiet about it for how drunk they must have been by the end.

I'm just imagining them wearing tactical webbing under their trenchcoats, except instead of magazines and grenades in pouches, it's cans of beer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God, I wish someone would do some well placed farts during bad movie trailers. That would make my day.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 31, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Young Freud posted:

I'm just imagining them wearing tactical webbing under their trenchcoats, except instead of magazines and grenades in pouches, it's cans of beer.

A few years back, when baggy jeans were more common, you could stack the cans in the leg next to your own leg. You could get like 6+ in each leg if you were tall. Just takes careful walking and looking like you've poo poo your pants, but you gotta suffer before you can enjoy.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
Man while the local AMC is nice enough for premieres sometimes it's not only way too expensive now, but they recently switched over to self serving drink machines., the ones with mix and match going on. There is something just wrong about handing over 6.50 for an icee and getting handed back an empty cup. Though they just tore out the arcade (weird addition in the late 2000s) for a bar, I think called The Macguffin.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Irish Joe posted:

The only time I've been to the Drafthouse and it approached that was for How To Train Your Dragon at an afternoon showing where they let kids in. You have to remember the types of people that go to the Drafthouse are generally the types that also want a pleasant viewing experience. And you get to do things like see Magnificent Seven on the big screen.

Plus this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

duz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

bull3964 posted:

So, here's the significant stuff:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-the-interview-has-made-over-15-million-online-1201388557/

The Interview made $15 million between the various VOD sites and $2.8 million in theaters. This puts it just $2.2 million shy of what Sony expected the movie to do with a 3,000 screen release.

Granted, there's a lot of hype about this specific case. However, this should send a chill down the spine of the big theater chains. If a studio feels confident with their marketing, this basically proves that a low to mid level movie will be viable as a VOD title and they call call the bluff of the theater chains threatening to boycott the movie from simultaneous release.
I wonder how much Sony saved when they cancelled all their advertising. Could have made up a good chunk of that gap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grifter posted:

I wonder how much Sony saved when they cancelled all their advertising. Could have made up a good chunk of that gap.

I suspect a large chunk of it was already paid for, so they probably didn't save much.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grifter posted:

I assume all advertising was paid in advance.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah I'm pro-Drafthouse Films just for all the great films they've had a hand in releasing but actually going to an Alamo Drafthouse sounds kinda awful.

I've seen a couple of posts like this and hits hilarious wrong each of you are. Clearly never been to a draft house. It's almost always a good experience and they have rules in place for no phones and no talking.

They also have food and beer and it's great.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Irish Joe posted:

Something about the chewing, slurping and clinking of silverware against plates, the constant movement of eaters and back and forth of the wait staff, and the smells would just annoy me too much.

I totally get this, and I'm the same way. It's to the point where the only time I go to theatres is when it's a family thing, and that's more because we're going as a group than any need to see the movie on a big screen.

Otherwise I'm mostly an at-home redbox kind of guy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I've seen a couple of posts like this and hits hilarious wrong each of you are. Clearly never been to a draft house. It's almost always a good experience and they have rules in place for no phones and no talking.

They also have food and beer and it's great.

maybe you're right. i'm sure i'd enjoy it if i went, but that poo poo still sounds like the Dave & Buster's of movie theaters to me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

maybe you're right. i'm sure i'd enjoy it if i went, but that poo poo still sounds like the Dave & Buster's of movie theaters to me.

How? Like it's not even bothersome at all, maybe only in the beginning. I don't know but in Austin it's great. No people talking is amazing. I saw avengers at a random theater and everyone was talking and even at one point yelling just the worst.

Or whenever there's a baby in the audience and it starts crying. Like gently caress that poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

The way movie contracts are set up in the US, theaters will pay 80-110%* of ticket revenue to the distributors.

*The latter being something like Star Wars; you pay $1 to the theater, the theater pays $1.10 to the distributor, and makes up the difference with food.

That's first week. Each successive week the theater gives back less and less to the studio (other than the print rental fees, if any). 100% and over is super-rare. Like only Star Wars and a couple of others get away with demanding something like that. Smaller films also may have studio cuts closer to 50%.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Btw, does anyone know if digital distribution made it at all cheaper for indies to get a leg in, or if it's pretty much same old. I tend to assume the latter, cause the actual physical distribution is probably the smaller slice of the pie that is exclusive relationships & such, but yeah, what's it like irl.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I do think there is something to be said for the "true" Imax experience (i.e. the domed sceen, 70mm, crazy surround sound system) that will never be able to be replicated at home, but I don't know if that would be a sustainable business on its own if traditional movie theaters go the way of the drive-in. 3D tech is probably going to be something everyone has access to within the next 10 years or so, but the immersive experience of a theater is pretty unique, and some movies are just undeniably better in that environment.

VR. The resolution isn't there yet, but once 4K Oculus Rifts exist it'll be drat close to an IMAX experience, with the added bonus of superior 3D.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SwissCM posted:

VR. The resolution isn't there yet, but once 4K Oculus Rifts exist it'll be drat close to an IMAX experience, with the added bonus of superior 3D.

The problem with VR is that you lose the audience component.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm in Boston, so we've got the Brattle, the Coolidge, the Kendall, and the Somerville Theatre, all of which are really great. The Brattle's probably the one I go to most often, all of them will show a mix of repertory stuff and new releases. I used to avoid multiplexes, but recently they also built a new AMC in Artisan Square which is one of those ones with reserved seating and nice recliners, so that got me to start going to that kind of theater again.

Yeah, my AMC upgraded to that when Avengers came out. I won't go anywhere else now. which is great, because I stopped driving and the theater is a 20 minute walk from my house. Plus, no matter how much I like my own homemade popcorn, nothing come close to movie theater popcorn and butter flavored topping.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Movies are for alcohol not food. Just eat before you go drat fatso. :mad:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

We have a few places similar to the Drafthouse concept, and while having a tasty alcoholic beverage and something a bit more upscale than popcorn to nosh on is nice, I think I've ordered actual food only once because it's hard to eat a hamburger and watch a Nolan flick at the same time. At home if you miss something you can at least rewind. Instead of loud kids you end up with loud adults instead.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

duz posted:

You have to remember the types of people that go to the Drafthouse are generally the types that also want a pleasant viewing experience. And you get to do things like see Magnificent Seven on the big screen.

This is the main thing that people don't consider, I think. People at Drafthouses go there because they don't want to put up with other people's bullshit, and they don't want to contribute to it either. Also the pre-movie stuff is great, that's when most people order so the eating is all finished within 20 minutes of the movie starting generally. People aren't ordering or eating much throughout the movie because the servers don't look for order cards that much once the movie has started. Because it would interrupt the movie. It's a theater for cinephiles, and the food is there as a bonus and probably to help them make more money, which is great because then they can do $3 bad '80s movies in the middle of the week (at least in Austin, though I have to assume it's in at least some other cities too because they're really popular), or invest in good original productions with that money.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was once in a cinema when a couple smuggled in fish and chips from the Harry Ramsden's down the street. Not takeaway; with plates and cutlery. That's dedication.

(Weirdly, as soon as they finished eating, they left!)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Puts us pizza smugglers to shame, for sure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is hysterical. As for me, I think I'm part of the problem because I get so mad at people talking or texting that it mars my whole experience, I spend the whole either yelling at someone to quit it, or thinking if I should yell at someone to quit it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

computer parts posted:

The problem with VR is that you lose the audience component.

Well if you're watching at home you're already losing that aspect, what you'd actually be losing with VR at home is the experience of watching alongside friends. They may all have their own VR goggles but you're all separated from each other.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shageletic posted:

This is hysterical. As for me, I think I'm part of the problem because I get so mad at people talking or texting that it mars my whole experience, I spend the whole either yelling at someone to quit it, or thinking if I should yell at someone to quit it.

This, also the people with their candy wrappers rustling them for the first third of the film. I mostly encounter the assholes at the big chain theaters in town, but I recently went to a documentary screening at the small indie theater downtown and the seats were so uncomfortable and small that I spent the majority of the 2 hour film squirming around feeling like I was getting DVT. Was actually in pain by the end of it.

Still mad that Kalamazoo of all places got a Drafthouse instead of Ann Arbor. :argh:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Well if you're watching at home you're already losing that aspect, what you'd actually be losing with VR at home is the experience of watching alongside friends. They may all have their own VR goggles but you're all separated from each other.

The people who genuinely think VR helmets are gonna be the new cinematic experience don't really have many friends

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The problem with movie theaters is each ticket costs $45, minimum, while you can sit at home and watch new releases on a 4K TV for well under $100. It's just affordable economics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surlaw posted:

The problem with movie theaters is each ticket costs $45, minimum, while you can sit at home and watch new releases on a 4K TV for well under $100. It's just affordable economics.

Do you live in Sweden or something? I literally pay about 10% of that and I don't know any areas where a (minimum priced) ticket costs more than $15.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm American and therefore required to buy three meals worth of theater food before I can properly complain about how gross and loud everyone else around me is. It's only fair.

When those youths started yelling and cheering during Avengers it really took me out of my serious film about super men wrestling. Just inappropriate.

Posting from my virtual reality headset

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 31, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Surlaw posted:

How much did the TV cost, since you have to factor that in as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

monster on a stick posted:

How much did the TV cost, since you have to factor that in as well.

I believe 4K TVs are around $80, throw in another $20 for a player and you're made in the shade. 🐌

• Locked thread