Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My circ saw gave me stronger bones, healthier teeth, and a shinier coat.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I pulled the trigger on a Harbor Freight/Central Pneumatic 2HP 8gal compressor today. I strongly considered the 2.5HP 10gal but in store it felt considerably more heavy and my shop will be in the basement and the cars with go at tires are in the garage. I'm sure there other solutions (air tank or smaller garage compressor) but I liked the portability. Will I regret this decision when it comes time hose down a king size headboard with reddish brown poo poo?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

wormil posted:

In addition to what's been said about circ saws, you can build your deck then cut all the ends flush rather than cutting each board and try to line them up.

having built exactly one deck I can safely say that this is the best way to do it.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are airtools actually useful for woodworking? I'm certain a rattle gun would be useless, I could see using a spray gun for finish and an air nailer might be nice but not used enough to justify purchasing a compressor. I am tempted to get a compressor, but honestly I think the main reason I want one is so that I can air up my tires in the garage instead of driving to the nearby gas station in -20F with high wind to spot either a half dozen cars lined up or discover the air is out of order.

Inflator and nail gun in 18V:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Inflator and nail gun in 18V:

You're supposed to be helping me feel good about the compressor I just bought. :colbert:

And neither of those tools can spray finish or dust of tools. Please don't post a cheaper electric tool with these abilities. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crotch Fruit posted:

You're supposed to be helping me feel good about the compressor I just bought. :colbert:

And neither of those tools can spray finish

quote:

or dust off tools.

quote:

Please don't post a cheaper electric tool with these abilities. :(
No batteries required! :downsgun:

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

And neither of those tools can spray finish or dust of tools. Please don't post a cheaper electric tool with these abilities. :(

There's also the 'manliness' factor of having a compressor banging away in the corner of your garage too.

Bad Munki posted:

No batteries required! :downsgun:

Imagine trying to paint your house with spray cans.

:negative:

....and please only electricians use cans of air.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neif posted:

There's also the 'manliness' factor of having a compressor banging away in the corner of your garage too.

Imagine trying to paint your house with spray cans.

:negative:

Hey, man, if I had infinity-million dollars and twice as many hours...I still wouldn't

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Enjoy the bitterant that will inevitably get onto your fingers/the air and then get into your mouth.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I've been considering a small light-duty compressor (airing things up, blowing dust, etc) without the real consideration for any tools that will be run by it. One of the things putting me off is the accessories/hoses etc. I am sort of envisioning this aspect to be the part where I can avoid the most frustration with some advice. Is there good hose management/quality of life stuff I can buy to accessorize a compressor? Like are there certain hoses, hose reels, regulators, rotary joints, etcetera that are going to reduce the gently caress THIS aspect of using the thing? I'm OK spending a little bit, I just don't want to never bust it out because it's a huge pain in the rear end with kinked hoses, who knows what else.

I guess on the same topic of hose management, is there a step up from the lovely rolling carts for water hose management? I have like three of the $50 Home Despot jobs that are all broken and they suck to work with when not broken.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For step up garden hose reels, my company does some work for these guys and they make good stuff: http://www.eleyhosereels.com/

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Just wanted to pop into the thread again and say thanks for the snow blower advice. I picked up the Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 (the two-stage linked earlier). It's just small enough to maneuver around the car in the garage to get out, and seems to have a surplus of snow eating power. I'm (almost) looking forward to our first real snow now.

Also, I didn't realize Ryobi made an air compressor. Might have to see if I can find one of those on the cheap. $40 is too much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dragyn posted:

Just wanted to pop into the thread again and say thanks for the snow blower advice. I picked up the Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 (the two-stage linked earlier). It's just small enough to maneuver around the car in the garage to get out, and seems to have a surplus of snow eating power. I'm (almost) looking forward to our first real snow now.

You won't regret it. I have the 2840, so a few inches wider and 277cc, and it got me through Erie, PA the last two years with no trouble at all. Never any trouble starting or breaking through the plow berms or anything, and we were "snowiest city in the US" last year, so I'm pretty sure the 2410 will do you just fine and dandy. For your sake, I'm so glad you didn't get a single-stage. ;)

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
SA Success Story: Snowblower Edition

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

uwaeve posted:

I've been considering a small light-duty compressor (airing things up, blowing dust, etc) without the real consideration for any tools that will be run by it. One of the things putting me off is the accessories/hoses etc. I am sort of envisioning this aspect to be the part where I can avoid the most frustration with some advice. Is there good hose management/quality of life stuff I can buy to accessorize a compressor? Like are there certain hoses, hose reels, regulators, rotary joints, etcetera that are going to reduce the gently caress THIS aspect of using the thing? I'm OK spending a little bit, I just don't want to never bust it out because it's a huge pain in the rear end with kinked hoses, who knows what else.

I guess on the same topic of hose management, is there a step up from the lovely rolling carts for water hose management? I have like three of the $50 Home Despot jobs that are all broken and they suck to work with when not broken.

I am curious to know more about the issues you are having. What type of hose did you try that you disliked? All I know so far is according to the cartons at Home Depot, PVC hose is light and resists kinks, while rubber hose does not try to curl up like PVC. So far, I only have one nylon spring style coil up hose from Harbor Freight and I'm sure I will need eventually need a real hose.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Bad Munki posted:

You won't regret it. I have the 2840, so a few inches wider and 277cc, and it got me through Erie, PA the last two years with no trouble at all. Never any trouble starting or breaking through the plow berms or anything, and we were "snowiest city in the US" last year, so I'm pretty sure the 2410 will do you just fine and dandy. For your sake, I'm so glad you didn't get a single-stage. ;)

I don't know if we're even gonna get any snow this year in SE Mass. It's been a weird winter so far.

As an added bonus, with the chute removed and the handle dropped, I can fit the 2410 in my Yaris. :D

\/\/\/ I'll have to buy huge outdoor fireplaces and tent warmers before my outdoor wedding in October then \/\/\/

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 5, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dragyn posted:

I don't know if we're even gonna get any snow this year in SE Mass. It's been a weird winter so far.

As an added bonus, with the chute removed and the handle dropped, I can fit the 2410 in my Yaris. :D

Well, yeah, same here (we've gotten basically no snow this year except the couple days where it dumped on us and Buffalo), but it happens. I have a theory that if you preemptively buy something like a nice big snow blower, you're almost guaranteed to not need it that year, like maybe the snow gets scared off or something. That's just how it works.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm in Finland and I plow my driveway with this:

Also just glued & brad nailed together a drawer, compressor rocks. Also use it to hose out my entire workshop, big port open on one side and the door on the other side, then a fan to move the air. Then I goto work with the compressor and hose everything down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't think I mentioned this before but I've been meaning to:

NES Thread Restorers
http://www.nes.co.il/

These things are amazing and I can't recomend them enough. Before if I had a gimped thread I'd pull out my tap/die set and give them a few passes and it'd be fine, but if I didn't have the right thread OR if I couldn't get the tap/die started because it was hosed at the begining you'd have issues unless you wanted to spend some time with files :emo:

This thing is amazing. I think this is the set I have:
http://www.nes.co.il/158905/Nes-1015-External-4-19-mm-5-32-3-4-Internal-8-16-mm-5-16-5-8

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am curious to know more about the issues you are having. What type of hose did you try that you disliked? All I know so far is according to the cartons at Home Depot, PVC hose is light and resists kinks, while rubber hose does not try to curl up like PVC. So far, I only have one nylon spring style coil up hose from Harbor Freight and I'm sure I will need eventually need a real hose.

I've actually never had/used anything other than a lovely Sears $20 (inflator) job, it's just I envision a compressor and accessories to be one of those things that'll cause disproportionate levels of frustration if I don't get some advice. Maybe just buying the Campbell-Hausfeld MY FIRST COMPRESSOR Accessory Pack is fine, idk.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I took the thread advice and bought one of the braided nylon hoses for my compressor. I've been using my pancake compressor exclusively to run a brad nailer for trim, and the pile of 25 foot hose has been annoying, but it has fired every time without kinks or whatever.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

uwaeve posted:

I've actually never had/used anything other than a lovely Sears $20 (inflator) job, it's just I envision a compressor and accessories to be one of those things that'll cause disproportionate levels of frustration if I don't get some advice. Maybe just buying the Campbell-Hausfeld MY FIRST COMPRESSOR Accessory Pack is fine, idk.

Personally, I consider a compressor to be less confusing. I mean you have plugs/receptacles (Automotive, Industrial or Universal, buy industrial) that are about $3 each at Home Depot, plug male end of hose into compressor, plug male end of tool into hose, flip the on switch (after reading and removing a dozen "ADD OIL BEFORE STARTING" stickers on your new compressor) and adjust the regulator.

With cordless Lithium ion batteries are awesome, but you have to either buy the same brand and type of everything for all your tools or keep a big box of chargers and batteries (bad idea). Sure the cordless freedom is cool but for me the process is always grab the drill, setup the ladder and other crap, find out the battery is dead and then get to work an hour later.

I don't hate cordless tools (except for NiMH batteries. . .) I just think that an air setup will be about equally as confusing as a cordless setup. And rattle cans are no match for a compressor. I also might be a little biased after buying babies first compressor.

PuTTY riot posted:

Enjoy the bitterant that will inevitably get onto your fingers/the air and then get into your mouth.

Yeah gently caress you canned air! I only huff 100% pure compressor pumped air! Am I doing this right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I only huff 100% pure compressor pumped air! Am I doing this right?
Ugh, it's still air from concentrate.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm in Finland and I plow my driveway with this:

Using something similar, it takes me roughly an hour and a half to clear my driveway after a light snow. Finally got to try out my expensive new 33" snow blower Sunday and again today, and I'm down to 20 minutes!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Real men plow. Luckily my neighbor is a real man.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Personally, I consider a compressor to be less confusing. I mean you have plugs/receptacles (Automotive, Industrial or Universal, buy industrial) that are about $3 each at Home Depot, plug male end of hose into compressor, plug male end of tool into hose, flip the on switch (after reading and removing a dozen "ADD OIL BEFORE STARTING" stickers on your new compressor) and adjust the regulator.

With cordless Lithium ion batteries are awesome, but you have to either buy the same brand and type of everything for all your tools or keep a big box of chargers and batteries (bad idea). Sure the cordless freedom is cool but for me the process is always grab the drill, setup the ladder and other crap, find out the battery is dead and then get to work an hour later.

I don't hate cordless tools (except for NiMH batteries. . .) I just think that an air setup will be about equally as confusing as a cordless setup. And rattle cans are no match for a compressor. I also might be a little biased after buying babies first compressor.

Yeah gently caress you canned air! I only huff 100% pure compressor pumped air! Am I doing this right?

Dead batteries are practically a thing of the past with lithium (they last longer in general and don't discharge if you leave them on the shelf). And all the tools have a charge indicator these days so you check before going up the latter. Though yeah, compatibility is a pain. I have 3 batteries, Ryobi 18V, M12 and M18 which isn't terrible but is still a pain.

The advantage of air, it seems to me, is that the tools cheap and reliable. In a shop setting where the compressor is nearby this can be a good trade-off. Or at a particular work-site where you can set up the compressor and leave it. And some tools, like nail guns, are primarily available in air.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gounads posted:

Real men plow. Luckily my neighbor is a real man.

Are we still talking driveways? :pervert:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Neif posted:

Anybody that maintains computers and other electronics uses them too. Well, if you have a ton of computers like in a data center, it's eventually cheaper to use a compressor.

Actually, those air cans can be used to get gum out of carpet. If you carefully turn them upside down and spray the gum, you can freeze it, shatter it and vacuum up the pieces.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I maintain computers as part of my tasks in our small company, fortunately they have compressed air lines out in the workshop. Frankly I should have them drag a line into the office itself...

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I maintain computers as part of my tasks in our small company, fortunately they have compressed air lines out in the workshop. Frankly I should have them drag a line into the office itself...

These are wonderful: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a good staple gun? I'd like one that fires brads, rounded crowns, and the standard staples (my current one only uses the standard ones).

Also, what's the general consensus on the quality of Lowe's 'Kobalt' housebrand? Decent stuff, or junk?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

melon cat posted:

Also, what's the general consensus on the quality of Lowe's 'Kobalt' housebrand? Decent stuff, or junk?

I've gotten some Kobalt stuff - mostly pliers and simple tools. It's decent and pretty solid for the money, but Harbor Freight hand tools are better.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a good staple gun? I'd like one that fires brads, rounded crowns, and the standard staples (my current one only uses the standard ones).

I get a few Kobalt tools from my boss every Christmas, and they're alright. I wouldn't recommend them specifically over anything else, but, like a lot of other store brands, they're cheap and work fine while they last -- which can be a long time for a hobbyist.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Gotcha. Would you ever buy Kobalt brand powertools? Or would you stick to their hand tools?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Brought home a Harbor Freight 10" sliding compound miter saw, piece of poo poo is impossible to even install the blade, clearance in the housing is too tight and it rubs everywhere. I read the directions for taking the arbor apart, but the motor shaft is too long causing the blade to bind. I can get the blade in if I disassemble the lift arm inside the blade housing, but then I can not reassemble the arm with the blade in place. I guess time to go donate a loving 20% restocking fee to Harbor Freight tomorrow so that I can go buy a real saw.

I am probably going to get a $199 Ryobi 10" slider from Home Depot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can they charge you a restocking fee if it's just absolute shite and you're returning it because it's doa?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I will find out in a coue hours. Upon boxing it up, I also noticed the shaft is too short, both flanges without the blade take up the entire shaft, once a blade is between the flanges, the outer flange would be just floating held on only by the nut without the shaft to support it. I knew this thing would be a piece of poo poo, just didn't think they could gently caress up this bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can we put in the op that the hf slider is a huge piece of poo poo.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I have the 12" and it's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Can we put in the op that the hf slider is a huge piece of poo poo.

Even that would not do enough justice to convey how the drat thing is impossible to even mount the blade. I honestly believe they simply put a completely wrong motor shaft on this since it is impossible to use it. The shaft both sticks out too far, and is too short to safely mount a blade, so someone hosed up when trying to copy the blue prints.

I read reviews about HF, I read all about the 10" and 12" slider, most reviews I read actually said the 12" was pretty good. I am a little tempted to just exchange it for another one since that would probably last me either 6 months or a lifetime and either save me $200, or be an $88 expense. However, considering the quality control is low enough they could let this piece of poo poo slip by. . . I am just gonna go get a real saw. This also makes he have second thoughts about my compressor. :eek: At least the compressor doesn't involve a 10" metal disc spinning right in front of my chest.

Doctor Zero posted:

I have the 12" and it's just fine.

I wish I could have received a just fine saw, as is I simply don't feel safe buying an HF saw anymore. I fully believe a $200 Ryobi will last me a lifetime without killing me.