Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Death Parade was pretty drat cool, can't wait for more.

The OP is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I liked the "needless exposure" and "mysterious ornamentation" jab, myself.

And the villians are sufficiently princely!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, if they wanted the magical boy stuff to look aesthetically pleasing and cool, the mascot wouldn't be a slightly unwell-looking pink wombat with an old-man voice.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's basically a season of Precure, but with the girls replaced with guys.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Demicol posted:

Death Parade was pretty drat cool, can't wait for more.

The OP is amazing.

I don't know what this show is but I want to watch it after viewing the OP.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The wombats "Go, and love even your enemies" absolutely slayed me. The line was delivered so well.

As for other things I've watched so far

Jojo is more Jojo. Cant go wrong with more jojo, although the intro's music doesn't really amp me like the others.

Death Parade- Easily the best thing so far this season. And thats saying plenty, because there are pretty good shows this season so far. The intro floored me and the story in the first episode was brutal. The intro does such a good job at hyping you up and then the premise so far is basically Kaiji in Purgatory, with your souls salvation on the line is so grim that its almost cathartic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nuru posted:

I don't know what this show is but I want to watch it after viewing the OP.

A pseudo sequel to the Anime Mirai short Death Billiards.

Let's just make this a PSA and say everyone should go watch that. It's really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the after credits scene of death parade is no good, ruins a lot of the fun speculation that death billiards caused

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think the series will be all about the games, so it shouldn't matter.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

the after credits scene of death parade is no good, ruins a lot of the fun speculation that death billiards caused

It wasn't particularly hard to figure out what happened in the end by just looking at the elevators noh masks. I just initially thought the dude went to heaven and the woman went to hell, not continue in the wheel of dharma and sent to oblivion . Which really wasnt that different.

e- Oh boy, I just figured out that you could even figure that out earlier if you just looked at the stained glass.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 10, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

iirc didn't they explicitly say in death billiards that those signs didn't mean anything? one of the guys who just watched the original probably knows. i pretty much ignored them either way since they seemed too obvious

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

iirc didn't they explicitly say in death billiards that those signs didn't mean anything? one of the guys who just watched the original probably knows. i pretty much ignored them either way since they seemed too obvious

They could very well not be related(I never watched death billiards), but the scene does focus on them as its happening, which makes me believe that the intent is to associate the two even if its purposely incorrect.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I made a thread for Death Parade

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I just initially thought the dude went to heaven and the woman went to hell, not continue in the wheel of dharma and sent to oblivion . Which really wasnt that different.

Was that thought entirely based on what you thought about the masks because everything about the episode pointed all the blame towards the guy so why would he go to heaven?

crossposted here

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are Death Parade and Yuri Bear Storm streaming anywhere

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Are Death Parade and Yuri Bear Storm streaming anywhere

Yuri Bear Storm is on Funimation so no

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

pandaK posted:

Was that thought entirely based on what you thought about the masks because everything about the episode pointed all the blame towards the guy so why would he go to heaven?

She really was lying to him or wanted him to believe that she was lying. It was her that was laying sleeping with the playboy. And even if that wasnt true, its an act of pure malice rather than natural misguided emotion. Had she actually stayed quiet if her outburst was a lie, or told him that it was the truth but without the intent to hurt him, I think she would have been spared.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

point of return posted:

Yuri Bear Storm is on Funimation so no

Death Parade is too I believe.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Pretty informative chart of where most anime studios came from originally.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
If anyone cares Dog Days'' thread is up here

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! might have more aggressive references than even Robot Girls Z and that's saying something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So I watched Yuri Kuma Arashi and it turned out to be incomprehensible garbage that at one point had two schoolgirls licking out a third.

Is this art?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yes it's art.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Namtab posted:

incomprehensible garbage

Sounds a lot like art to me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Pretty informative chart of where most anime studios came from originally.

Huh, 4C budded from Ghibli, that explains some things.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Saturday lineup is way too crowded this season.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Whatever happened to Cencoroll pt 2? I thought it was supposed to be out in 2014 summer, but I haven't seen any news or anything.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Squidster posted:

Whatever happened to Cencoroll pt 2? I thought it was supposed to be out in 2014 summer, but I haven't seen any news or anything.

It was announced back in September that it was being delayed, but they haven't revealed a new release date, as far as I can tell.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Rolling Girls is the good kind of stupid and has stylish fights. It looks like it has a good shot at being the best new anime this season.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rolling Girls is amusing fluff with some Kyo-Ani level animation for the fights. Reminded me of Yozakura Quartet with an eye-searing colour pallet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it streaming anywhere watchable?

And actually now that I think about it, did Crunchyroll get anything promising this season that isn't just a continuation? Seems like Funimation snagged most new stuff and thus rendered it unwatchable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really, no

they did get durarara but that's technically a continuation, just five years coming

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

Is it streaming anywhere watchable?

And actually now that I think about it, did Crunchyroll get anything promising this season that isn't just a continuation? Seems like Funimation snagged most new stuff and thus rendered it unwatchable.

I think Funimation is trying to corner CR's market since they put up a new sub-only premium membership for like 5 bux a month in addition to getting a lot more shows than usual this season.

I'd be down with that if they could ever fix their terrible player!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Magical boy show, and thank god.

It's one of those shows that ends up on both services, through what I assume is some kind of shady backroom deal involving impossible odds and the yakuza. The only shows I'm missing because of Funi this season are Death Parade and the second half of Garo: The Animation.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 10, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its all I asked for

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Its all I asked for

what is this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rolling Girls. It's pretty okay.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Its all I asked for

Rolling Girls was channeling the goofy, psychadelic weirdness of Kyousogiga like there was no tomorrow, which is ironic judging by the vaguely pseudo-apocalypse basis for the world.

That might be my favorite opening episode of the season, and there have been some pretty good openers already.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Buzzfeed recently posted a video called "Americans Watch Anime For The First Time". They showed people the first episode of Attack on Titan and the Nonon fight episode of Kill La Kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9O62KLkG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

Buzzfeed recently posted a video called "Americans Watch Anime For The First Time". They showed people the first episode of Attack on Titan and the Nonon fight episode of Kill La Kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9O62KLkG4

Why can't we show people stuff like Mushi-shi or SBY2199 or Cowboy Bebop? Why is it always the campiest, most ridiculous stuff?

That said, those people took it a lot better than I expected.

• Locked thread