Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

On December 1, 2014, Studio Khara announced a Blu-ray boxset that will contain a new HD-remastering of the television series, the video versions of Episodes 21-24, as well as the two movies and the Renewal of Evangelion. In addition, there will be another DVD set that will contain the broadcast version of the television series, as well as the broadcast version of Death (True) & Rebirth. All three sets are set to be released in summer 2015, to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the TV series.
So does that mean this will be the ~*~definitive~*~ version of the series? And there's also the ~*~definitive retelling~*~ with the Rebuilds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That stuff sounds pretty fuckin' neato and I hope some of it happens in these new movies.

Although in general I like the idea of humanity winning and then turning on Nerv better than some weirdos from the moon causing poo poo.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Josh Lyman posted:

So does that mean this will be the ~*~definitive~*~ version of the series? And there's also the ~*~definitive retelling~*~ with the Rebuilds?

The ~*~definitive~*~ reply to your ~*~definitive~*~ post is that these will be the same versions as the Renewal sets content-wise while being re-mastered/already mastered in HD for BD.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ultimatemegax posted:

The ~*~definitive~*~ reply to your ~*~definitive~*~ post is that these will be the same versions as the Renewal sets content-wise while being re-mastered/already mastered in HD for BD.
Well sure, but isn't there value to HD re-mastering? I mean, I'm not thinking of buying them, but it seems like there's some improvement there.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Utritum posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion Proposal
Whoa, cool.

(I answered "no" based what I now realize was a misreading of the following quotation:

Gainax co-founder Toshio Okada posted:

My style is to always plan the ending first, as I did with GUNBUSTER–everything then follows from that.

In NADIA, Mr. Anno couldn’t decide on the ending–it wasn’t fixed until only three months before the final episode was shown. So subsequently, I was confused about NADIA, and there was a lack of control over the various episodes.

EVANGELION is a very great series–I think it’s one of the top anime ever made. But–the last scenes were never fixed. When I talked to Mr. Anno a month ago, he said he couldn’t decide the ending until the time came. That’s his style. So, if I had made EVANGELION with him, I couldn’t do such a thing. I’d think I’d have to fix the ending, what would happen with every character. Then, everything would follow: the first episode, the second episode…If I wanted to show a boy’s coming-of-age story, a bildungsroman, the last scene would show the grown-up man; the first scene, a boy who hates everything about the adult world. That would be the structure; I’m very careful about a regular construction.

But Mr. Anno’s style on EVANGELION was not so. He wants to put it together episode-by-episode. It’s just like the style of a manga. In your typical manga, the artist doesn’t have any picture of the last scene, or the last episode. They just think of building up on past episodes. And finally, the manga artist, and his assistants, and editor…[BURIES HEAD IN HANDS], they work out an idea about the last sequence. If it’s a good idea, the whole episode is very good. If they can’t make a good idea, the whole episode is not so good. It’s an unhappy story. And I think that’s what happened with the last two episodes of EVANGELION. Mr. Anno and his staff couldn’t make a good idea for it. He told an anime magazine in Japan that he couldn’t make what he wanted because of schedule or budget. But that’s not correct. I talked with Mr. Yamaga and Mr. Anno. They said, “It’s not only a problem of schedule or budget. It’s a problem of what the ending is going to be.” Mr. Anno couldn’t decide. Mr. Anno’s and my own style of production are very different.
I got the impression that the whole plot had been written as the series went on, but that proposal clarifies that I was mistaken.)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
ADTRW>Evangelion Thread: [BURIES HEAD IN HANDS]

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Utritum posted:

quote:

Episode 22: The cat and the transfer student: The first humanoid Angel (child with a pet cat) Nerv's accidental allowing of the Angel's entry into the laboratory. Shinji's dilemma of fighting a humanoid Angel. The laboratory's greatest secret is shown.

:saddowns:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
"A human drama in the depths of despair."

That sounds about right.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Evangelion: Asuka's 1st date: Asuka goes to an amusement park for the first time. Misato's past. A romance comedy. ( Where the joke is on the audience )

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So I found a pretty neat set of Evangelion tarot cards (And no I don't know whether this is an actual item)

The full album

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So I found a pretty neat set of Evangelion tarot cards (And no I don't know whether this is an actual item)

The full album

Real:
http://www.amazon.com/Evangelion-Tarot-Cards-cards-JAPAN/dp/B001SN86K4

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The full album

Some of these attributions are a bit dubious.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All of tarot is dubious, that's how it works!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Lilith should probably be The Moon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of those that feel like they just threw stuff at a wall to see what would stick. I like Kaji as the Hanged Man, though, and Justice-Shinji cracked me up.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Why the gently caress isn't Gendo the devil!?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"The devil himself!"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I dunno, Kaowru isn't a terrible choice for the Moon. Probably makes more sense there then he does at Hierophant - though that might just be because I can never remember what the gently caress Hierophant is for.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's a tyranid or something.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, there are a bunch of those that feel like they just threw stuff at a wall to see what would stick. I like Kaji as the Hanged Man, though, and Justice-Shinji cracked me up.

Shinji would be a better fool, while Lillth is if anything, the Empress. Also Adam/Seele/ is the death while instrumentality is the tower.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Asuka should be the obvious choice for the Sun since that actually would reflect a visual motif from the series. I don't get the thought process behind having Misato in that role.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Shinji would be a better fool, while Lillth is if anything, the Empress. Also Adam/Seele/ is the death while instrumentality is the tower.

Rei is good for the Fool because she's associated with blankness and her name means 0

edit: meant Rei not Two. fonepoasting.

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 13, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno, Kaowru isn't a terrible choice for the Moon. Probably makes more sense there then he does at Hierophant - though that might just be because I can never remember what the gently caress Hierophant is for.

A hierophant is a priest, though I don't know what the tarot association is.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Two is good for the Fool because she's associated with blankness and her name means 0
The fool is someone starting out on a journey or adventure or some task, who is nieve, so Shinji fits this bill. That or the eight of swords, a person blind folded and surrounded by swords.

Midjack posted:

A hierophant is a priest, though I don't know what the tarot association is.
The hierophant represents social coventions, conformity and religious dogma so Kawrou is not the best choice. Could put Seele or Keel here.

Kawrou would be more like the hermit, the one who guides.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 13, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The tarot symbolism being meaningless is a perfect match for the meaningless Judeo Xtian symbolism in Eva.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

The tarot symbolism being meaningless is a perfect match for the meaningless Judeo Xtian symbolism in Eva.

Ha, true. The cards original meaning seems to be lost on these cards as the images and characters are just put there for styles sake.

Which is a usual for Evangelion.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oddly enough Dio is still The World in this set.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

edit: wrong thread

Mythical Moderate fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Utritum posted:

Asuka should be the obvious choice for the Sun since that actually would reflect a visual motif from the series. I don't get the thought process behind having Misato in that role.

I think it's a fanservice joke. The Devil is probably a reference to episode two, The Beast.

Kaji's is clever and it's nice to see Maya there as well, but Shinji should obviously be The Star.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

PenPen should be The Devil.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Kaworu is an Apostle so a priest sort of works.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

For whatever reason I decided to actually watch all three movies recently and they weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey man that's great. :-)

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus)

With all of the crucifixion imagery throughout Evangelion, do you think it's stretch that this might be a sort of indirect Salvador Dali reference?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
With all the weird poo poo in 3.33 the Dali influences are pretty strong. Especially those apocalyptic landscape backgrounds.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

This is probably the worst way to :spergin: but I just have a strong belief that Evangelion tarot card attributions should be based on Golden Dawn attributions and symbology filtered through Carl Jung and Go Nagai

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
But I think thematically it works best that the tarot card designations are arbitrary with a focus on what looks cool. Just like Eva :v:.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
This isn't how social links work at all.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/01/16/apparel-brand-yohji-yamamoto-offers-evangelion-collaboration-items

nxt lvl as gently caress, w2c shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Want some NERV sneakers, everything else is hideous.