Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What was the quote in Talon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
welp, I just bought this
I regret nothing. :colbert:

...yet.

\/\/\/ That's what I thought.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I may be brain damaged, but €70 doesn't seem all that bad for a book that fancy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What's it like having an inoperable brain tumor?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hey it's only a quarter of what I paid for my brand spanking new graphics card. I kind of want one...

What's in it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH not so bad. It seems to be more than just a short story collection though, it's a large hardback with lots of extra stuff in it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cythereal posted:

Some Legions have Librarians, some don't. A secondary character in Betrayer is a World Eater Librarian, and Librarians from the White Scars and Space Wolves (well, a Storm Seer and a Rune Priest) show up in other books. The Thousand Sons are almost nothing but Librarians, and it's why that Legion is organized completely differently from any other.

Is there a good thousand sons book? In all the novels I read they were dumbies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Demiurge4 posted:

Hey it's only a quarter of what I paid for my brand spanking new graphics card. I kind of want one...

What's in it?

A whole bunch of Dan Abnett stuff that fills in continuity between Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster. Seriously, he's deliberately putting this volume between the last and the next Ghost novels. You'll want to read this at some point. Matt Farrer has a sequel to The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings that's probably the best Mechnicum story published to date. A few stories take a Sons of Sek or Blood Pact POV. On the whole, it's a damned good collection.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

Is there a good thousand sons book? In all the novels I read they were dumbies.

A Thousand Sons is average-to-good depending on your personal preferences. I particularly enjoy how ambiguous it is - it's easy to read the Sons as being doomed from the word go and they proudly marched headlong into damnation, but many of them are more than a little tragic, including Magnus himself.

Bonus points from me for having the first official and on-screen gay couple in the series, and their relationship even saves the day for a bunch of secondary/tertiary characters near the end.

If you get A Thousand Sons, I also highly recommend Prospero Burns, which retells the fall of Prospero from the Wolves' side in addition to being a very well executed 40k adaptation of The Thirteenth Warrior.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

mllaneza posted:

A whole bunch of Dan Abnett stuff that fills in continuity between Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster. Seriously, he's deliberately putting this volume between the last and the next Ghost novels. You'll want to read this at some point. Matt Farrer has a sequel to The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings that's probably the best Mechnicum story published to date. A few stories take a Sons of Sek or Blood Pact POV. On the whole, it's a damned good collection.
There's also apparently an extensive background section for the Sabbat Worlds, that have been out of print for years, and a bunch of illustrations. And from the example with Major Kolea and Sergeant Criid, they look like fantastic illustrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cythereal posted:

A Thousand Sons is average-to-good depending on your personal preferences. I particularly enjoy how ambiguous it is - it's easy to read the Sons as being doomed from the word go and they proudly marched headlong into damnation, but many of them are more than a little tragic, including Magnus himself.

Bonus points from me for having the first official and on-screen gay couple in the series, and their relationship even saves the day for a bunch of secondary/tertiary characters near the end.

If you get A Thousand Sons, I also highly recommend Prospero Burns, which retells the fall of Prospero from the Wolves' side in addition to being a very well executed 40k adaptation of The Thirteenth Warrior.

A Thousand Sons is a book that I'm having a decent time reading, but it just feels really slow. I'm 500 pages in and it seems like everything that happened could've fit in 200-300.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked thousand sons alot. It was a slow pace, but i really didnt mind it. I liked seeing the everyday life before the fall, i enjoyed watching how they reacted to other legions and events, the council of nikea was awesome. The whole portion with Magnus sacraficing people and going to try to warn the emperor i thought was well written, detailed and i had anerd boner the whole time. I think thousand sons doesnt get enough time.

E2: the council of nikea scene was amazing imo. I really like seeing all the characters in the setting during key events like that, and the little details, like the Khan not being there and how that may have swayed opinion. Love poo poo like that

Prospero burns was sort of not as good as it could have been. I love Abnett but I really thought it could have been better. It was well written, but there was alot of potential with the setting it fell a little flat for me. If I remember he didn't get to the actual burning until the last 30 pages, but thats like his thing. Rush ending. Again. I really really enjoyed the background and showing the Wolves. He wrote the wolves really well, but I felt like that book could have been 2, and I almost never feel that way. wet lepord growl

E: clarity

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 11, 2015

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Funny thing I have had now both with Prosbero Burns and Pariah is that I spend the first half of the books going "this is boring" and the later half going "holy poo poo, this is awesome." Once I was done with them I strongly considered reading them again, something that happens very rarely for me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cythereal posted:

The Skjall was no arabic lothario diplomat :confused:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Hey guess what I just ordered! :suicide:

Edit: I hate myself already.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 12, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I may be brain damaged, but €70 doesn't seem all that bad for a book that fancy.

Haha what the gently caress? They're charging $24 USD for an ebook. Insanity.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Prospero Burns is easily one of my favorite Dan Abnett books. (Well, top ten.) It has its flaws but I would really like to see more Wolves of Fenris from him. I certainly enjoyed it more than most if not all of the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Wolves just come across as assholes either way imho

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Having just finished Ahriman: Socererer I can safely say every self respecting (lol) warham should read exile then this because Jesus loving Christ it's one of the best black library books I've ever read. I'm about to start rereading it, because I'm not sure what the gently caress. I've never come across a warham novel that deals with fuckery within fuckery and time fuckery on top of said fuckery. Seriously Holy poo poo what a book.

edit: seriously that one book is the best poo poo BL has put out in a long time, it's really up there with abnett's and ADB's best stuff ever, John French is definitely now up there with those two.

Ahriman finding where the maguffin (the atheneum of Kallimakus, yep that rememberancer who writes down everything Magnus thinks). Then killing every living part of the planetary biome on the planet that houses it, except the human population allowing them to starve/die of thirst for years. Leaving several hundred rubricae on the surface allowing them to be covered in sand/dust for decades before he returns when he needs to assault the fortress housing the atheneum is the most :black101: 40k war story I have ever read .

That's not even touching on the wolves 13th company involved in the story too, the way they're written is fantastic too.

Seriously if you haven't started on the Ahriman series do so, right now I've never gushed about a BL book so hard before, it's that good.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 13, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

Prospero Burns is easily one of my favorite Dan Abnett books. (Well, top ten.) It has its flaws but I would really like to see more Wolves of Fenris from him. I certainly enjoyed it more than most if not all of the Gaunt's Ghosts books.

Necropolis is really the only Ghosts book that I'd put above Prospero Burns.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Having just finished Ahriman: Socererer I can safely say every self respecting (lol) warham should read exile then this because Jesus loving Christ it's one of the best black library books I've ever read. I'm about to start rereading it, because I'm not sure what the gently caress. I've never come across a warham novel that deals with fuckery within fuckery and time fuckery on top of said fuckery. Seriously Holy poo poo what a book.

edit: seriously that one book is the best poo poo BL has put out in a long time, it's really up there with abnett's and ADB's best stuff ever, John French is definitely now up there with those two.

Ahriman finding where the maguffin (the atheneum of Kallimakus, yep that rememberancer who writes down everything Magnus thinks). Then killing every living part of the planetary biome on the planet that houses it, except the human population allowing them to starve/die of thirst for years. Leaving several hundred rubricae on the surface allowing them to be covered in sand/dust for decades before he returns when he needs to assault the fortress housing the atheneum is the most :black101: 40k war story I have ever read .

That's not even touching on the wolves 13th company involved in the story too, the way they're written is fantastic too.

Seriously if you haven't started on the Ahriman series do so, right now I've never gushed about a BL book so hard before, it's that good.

I totally agree, the book is insane in the best possible way and Ahriman is a loving boss. Like I said- that initial boarding action with the wolves is just plain ol' spooky. French just has such a different vision for them and other aspects of 40k- it's really refreshing.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well, I just finished Eye of Terror by Barrington Bayley, an older pre-Black Library novel, and having gone in expecting things to be less "firm" setting-wise, I have to say that I really enjoyed it! Despite being an older title, the vocabulary, the presentation of the 40k setting and the overall feel was very close to the modern novels.

It did have a bit more of an "old-school space adventure" feel throughout, as it centers on a washed-up rogue trader who picks up a washed-up navigator who's terrified of navigating, and obviously they somehow end up in the Eye of Terror. It does occasionally go off on tangents, showing other parts of what's going on, from the heads of two segmentum high commanders settling a difference in tactical approaches, to a loal Dark Angels marine that got flung into space shortly after the Heresy began and drifted into the Eye after a good 9,000 years or so of suspended animation, and even a Lord of Change propositioning a Bloodthirster for an alliance within the immaterium, done via creating two planets, bridging them, and setting them against each other to determine the outcome.

And that's where the novel really shines; I don't think any other 40k novel has used the idea of "a giant region of space where reality is determined by thought and will" as well as this one; Barrington uses it to explore all sorts of different crazy chaos worlds. You can tell that he put a lot of thought into how each world operates, what the local populations and ecosystems would be like after the world changed in some major way, and how the characters react and feel about whatever's going on at the time. The descriptions are rich and fantastical, making it a really fun read despite lacking a lot of depth to the plotlines.

Plus, the characters interact with chaos-tainted things/people a lot more blatantly than is typically seen in modern 40k novels, and there is a bit more exploration into the kind of sex n' drugs and wild experiences that we all figure come along with the territory, but that has since been toned down by BL in favor of just the violent bits. In the more recent novels, there certainly aren't any descriptive interactions with, for example, a daemonette-possessed mortal, that don't involve a space marine immediately blowing its head off.

It's obvious that like the Inquisition War series, certain subjects weren't as taboo as they would eventually become, like how C.S. Goto didn't hesitate to have the main character have a personal chat with the Emperor in the first book in the series. A lot more things are hinted at or suggested in uncertain terms in modern BL books, but in these earlier books, there's a lot more outright "The Emperor is still alive in spirit and is eternally scheme-warring with Tzeentch" kinda stuff.

Anyway! It might be hard to find outside of used copies on Amazon by now, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a flavor-heavy (as opposed to plot-heavy) book that really explores the Eye of Terror's potential as a chaos-soaked setting where practically anything is possible. I enjoyed it more than a lot of modern BL titles, and it's one of my top favorite Chaos-related books, despite the protagonists not being of Chaos themselves. Although that could be disputed, considering all the stuff they got involved with in the Eye.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Apparently I need to revisit Ahriman Exile, because I thought it was mediocre at best and quit reading it around page 100...I mean I will finish it, but I have trouble believing it magically reaches Abnett/ADB levels by the end. Scars in contrast is doing a much better job of keeping my attention.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

One Legged Cat posted:

It's obvious that like the Inquisition War series, certain subjects weren't as taboo as they would eventually become, like how C.S. Goto didn't hesitate to have the main character have a personal chat with the Emperor in the first book in the series.

You mean Ian Watson. Please don't insult the man so.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

drgnvale posted:

You mean Ian Watson. Please don't insult the man so.

Oh yeah! It's been a while since I read it.

What was it that made Goto so infamous again?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

One Legged Cat posted:

Multilasers. Multilasers everywhere.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

rocket_Magnet posted:

Well poo poo, guess I should've brought Sorceror with me to work tonight to read.. but I'll jump right on it when I can, I'm starting Stormcaller right now.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

One Legged Cat posted:

Oh yeah! It's been a while since I read it.

Its okay. I get Goto confused with the plagiarist guy all the time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vadoc posted:

Well poo poo, guess I should've brought Sorceror with me to work tonight to read.. but I'll jump right on it when I can, I'm starting Stormcaller right now.

Go ahead an finish Stormcaller. I really liked the Ahriman books, but Stormcaller I liked even more. It's got a great take on Space Wolves, and who can resist Ecclesiarchy shenanigans ?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fear to Tread, or whatever the blood angels heresy book is, was written by james swallow and I feel like it def doesn't get enough love. It's rough, but I liked it for a look at the Legion

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Fear to Tread, or whatever the blood angels heresy book is, was written by james swallow and I feel like it def doesn't get enough love. It's rough, but I liked it for a look at the Legion

I liked it, but it had that dumb monsters made out of buildings and street signs bit. It's always good to get an insight into a Primarch and his legion and it was good to be reminded that Sanguinius is one of the most lethal primarchs when he loses his poo poo.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

One Legged Cat posted:

Eye of Terror run through

If you enjoyed that, I'd recommend hunting down the original Deathwing anthology. I think it contained a story by the same author and contains some other really solid examples of early 40k world building, including a story on a callidus infiltrating a genestealer cult. BL stuff from that era is really fun as it's a lot more free-form and leans heavily on the sci-fi roots of the setting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Immanentized posted:

If you enjoyed that, I'd recommend hunting down the original Deathwing anthology. I think it contained a story by the same author and contains some other really solid examples of early 40k world building, including a story on a callidus infiltrating a genestealer cult. BL stuff from that era is really fun as it's a lot more free-form and leans heavily on the sci-fi roots of the setting.

Oh I think I've got that one as well as Crucible of War which I think though is a lot later than DW. It's been a while since I read it though.
Also never really read through the entirety of Let the Galaxy Burn either. Which I think was one of my first brick sized BL books.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm currently in the process of rereading the Gaunt's Ghost series, I'm about midway through the second omnibus, and there's a detail that bothers me.
It's extremely minor spoilers, but I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case.

Right, so Varl as a bionic arm, Domor got a new pair of eyes. Soric is specifically mentioned refusing an augmetic replacement for his lost eye.
Now, the bit that bothers me; after the events of Necropolis a bunch of the ex-hivers that join up are deaf. First and Only, the first book, even specifically mentions soldiers deafened by shells (the very thing that happened to these hivers) and then goes on to say that they're going to need synthetic eardrums or augmetic implants. The tech to repair lost hearing exists. As shown with Varl and Domor, even the common troopers have access to replacements for lost organic bits.
So why are these deaf Verghast Ghosts still deaf? None of them are ever mentioned refusing augmentation like Soric, or it being unavailable to them for whatever reason.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Because then they wouldn't get to use their sweet battle sign language

I don't think there is much more reason than that

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't imagine liking Eye of Terror. That book reads like some serious fan-fiction poo poo.

"AND HE HAD A SWEET MELTAGUN AND THEN THERE WAS A WRAITHGUARD CHILLING IN THE EYE AND NO WAIT IT WAS A PLASMA GUN"

(Genuinely, it interchanges between the two in the version I have; I went & checked!)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I'm currently in the process of rereading the Gaunt's Ghost series, I'm about midway through the second omnibus, and there's a detail that bothers me.

Right, so Varl as a bionic arm, Domor got a new pair of eyes. Soric is specifically mentioned refusing an augmetic replacement for his lost eye.
Now, the bit that bothers me; after the events of Necropolis a bunch of the ex-hivers that join up are deaf. First and Only, the first book, even specifically mentions soldiers deafened by shells (the very thing that happened to these hivers) and then goes on to say that they're going to need synthetic eardrums or augmetic implants. The tech to repair lost hearing exists. As shown with Varl and Domor, even the common troopers have access to replacements for lost organic bits.
So why are these deaf Verghast Ghosts still deaf? None of them are ever mentioned refusing augmentation like Soric, or it being unavailable to them for whatever reason.

Maybe it's ok for a few cases, but not for hundreds? I mean, sure, the officers should at least be able to get them, but it could be that they're not handed to the newbies/FOBs. Plus, it isn't until much later that anyone in the upper echelons actually cares about the Ghosts.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

It's probably also a solidarity thing, honestly. The Ghosts are weird like that, and they seem to get along fine. I mean when your line trooper gets an aug like freaking uh... Merrt? You may shy away until you're more than a trooper and won't have a steam factory on your ears.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SavTargaryen posted:

It's probably also a solidarity thing, honestly. The Ghosts are weird like that, and they seem to get along fine. I mean when your line trooper gets an aug like freaking uh... Merrt? You may shy away until you're more than a trooper and won't have a steam factory on your ears.

Also, there may simply not be enough of the augmetics for everyone. Exceptional troopers can get them, but the resources may not exist to provide the bionics for all of the deaf troopers. And/or it may have been judged not worth the expense to fit all of the troopers when statistically most of them are going to be dead before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Immanentized posted:

I think this was from Ian Watson's Inquisitor trilogy.