Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The gunfight in rebellion is the best part of all Madoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

i think you mean the cake song

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Rebellion looks so good and has an insane art style even for what they've animated up to that point. Wish shinbo did more stuff like that than endless years of middle school eroticism or whatever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Rebellion movie is good as long as they eventually do something else that finishes the story.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the ending was perfect and idk if I'd even care about a new Madoka installment

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It left a ton of stuff unresolved deliberately to it could be a sequel hook. Everything is completely unstable and Madoka almost brought the whole thing crashing down just by thinking about being god again for like a second.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i just want the black haired girl and madoka to kiss

----------------

aers
Feb 15, 2012

thats problematic dude

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

aers posted:

thats problematic dude

Why? They're meant for each other

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best part of Utena is when Himemiya and Utena finally kissed in the nude

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

aers posted:

thats problematic dude

sorry

----------------

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Rebellion helped Madoka a lot. I liked the Lucifer angle they went with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i just want the black haired girl and madoka to kiss

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The best part of Utena is when Himemiya and Utena finally kissed in the nude

aers
Feb 15, 2012

youll have to read my tumblr to find out

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the ending was perfect and idk if I'd even care about a new Madoka installment

Agreed. Yeah, sure, it might piss me off a lot and I might really hate it, but it's a brilliantly subversion of the original show. At the very least, that deserves a ton of respect. I feel like a new installment would ruin that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think Madoka was one of my favorite pieces of media in the last several years and I will probably never watch the movies because the story is already Complete.

that's my ~anime opinion ~

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It took some time for me to warm up to it but I've come around to liking Rebellion's ending better than the TV series, and yeah I would be OK with it ending there with no follow-up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a kitten posted:

I think Madoka was one of my favorite pieces of media in the last several years and I will probably never watch the movies because the story is already Complete.

that's my ~anime opinion ~

there's only one new movie and you should absolutely watch it

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

This is how I felt about the series. It'd take a lot of convincing to get me to watch Rebellion.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

watch rebellion for the pretty scenes and animations. that is the only reason i watched it.

----------------

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Cute High Earth Defense Club is still amazing, go watch it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

like the part where they ride the elephant carriage out of the sky on a rainbow road

----------------

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So now that all but one winter show is out, and Tuesdays are still as lonely as before, I was wondering if anyone has looked into the recent (?) trend of web novels. Elsewhere it appears to be growing ridiculously popular, with discussion on these new serials dwarfing regular anime and manga titles.

Most of them originate from a Japanese web novel publishing portal called Shousetsuka ni Narou (Let's Become Authors), where amateurs get to post their fledgling works chapter by chapter, and visitors can read them for free. Readership is then collected into site-wide rankings, and a bunch of the top titles have become so popular that regular publishing houses like Kadokawa have made deals to print them as paper light novels. Curiously most still remain available online with regular updates.

Always looking for something new, I've checked out a few of the printed editions, and the prose is surprisingly decent for what I'd assumed would be horrific fan-fiction level blobs of text. An issue, perhaps, is that there's a ridiculous over-representation of "transported to another world" type fiction. Nearly everything ranked high enough to get attention seems to be about regular guys who warp into game worlds, where progress is measured in levels and skill trees. I guess everyone got sick of playing MMOs themselves, and want to read about others playing them instead, just like kids rather watch gameplay videos on Youtube?

Going by page counts, the most successful titles here in the West are:
* Mushoku Tensei
* Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou
* Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
* Overlord
* Only Sense Online

Personally I've only read the first volumes of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari and Overlord from the above titles, but they're both fun, pulpy reads that serve as entertaining fodder for rainy days, when you've run out of shounen battle manga. Hopefully the English translations aren't lethal.

Edit: Wonder if I should have made a thread instead.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 13, 2015

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Thinking of trying out Yuri Bear. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed Attack on Titan with bears as the synopsis suggests?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But are the webnovels good or will I hate them like I hated mahouka?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PoshAlligator posted:

Thinking of trying out Yuri Bear. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed Attack on Titan with bears as the synopsis suggests?

I seriously doubt there's much overlap in the appeal of the two shows.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

PoshAlligator posted:

Couldn't be farther from the truth, considering the bears are actually lesbians. Lesbians who are also bears? And they eat people/"eat" people? I don't know. If by "Attack on Titan" you meant confusing, then yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how does one watch rebellion? Is there a bluray or is it unlicensed

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PoshAlligator posted:

Not even close. Consider trying it only if you incredibly enjoyed all the imagery and symbolism in the director's previous works(Utena and Penguindrum being two examples). Otherwise, don't touch it with a 10' pole.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
lol i got probated for that

anyway here are MY ~anime opinions~ for what I am watching this season

More Aldnoah Zero: I feel like this is going to get very contrived very fast.

Junketsu Maria: Pretty cool, if indeed somewhat underwhelming thus far, but it shows some promise.

More Fafner: I really should've expected as slow a start as this. Don't know what to think so far because nothing really happened yet.

Rolling Girls: It's Kill la Kill minus the skeevy stuff and plus funky colors. Style over substance, sure, but it's fun.

More Tokyo Ghoul: Seems like I was one of the few people who actually liked the first season. It seems cool to me so far, though Kaneki joining Aogiri is an odd prospect for the future.

Yuri Bears: what even

Death Parade: I must thank people here for commenting on it, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed it. This is extremely my jam.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

It was in theaters in SF a year ago or so. There may be blurays now.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Namtab posted:

But are the webnovels good or will I hate them like I hated mahouka?

Well, I don't see how it's possible to hate Onii-sama, so this question makes no sense.

I wrote down some impressions for the ones I've read so far, which might help dissuade you!

darkgray on Overlord posted:

Finished reading Overlord vol 1 by Maruyama Kugane. As is often the case with books I read these days, it's a web novel that got too popular for its own good and ended up being published on paper as a light novel, albeit in a larger and more expensive format than usual.

It tells the story of Momonga, a friendless man who's spent a third of his salary on a free-to-play virtual reality MMORPG for the past decade, proudly building a massive guild fortress with his 40 companions, painstakingly customizing guardian NPCs and tweaking textures to make it as imposing as possible to rival guilds. However, the days of this particular MMO's popularity are long gone, and the company running it has announced complete shutdown. On the final eve of service, Momonga walks alone in the silent halls of the once bustling dungeon, waxing nostalgic over memories past. As the clock rolls over midnight, he closes his eyes and ... discovers that the game has turned into reality.

Bet you never heard that one before! The twist in Overlord is that the protagonist chose to play as a lich mage, taking the form of an undead skeleton, and his alignment of evil, combined with a max level character makes him more of the new world's final boss than the struggling hero we're used to as an audience. Exploring this unknown realm, he realizes that his powers far outstrip anything the hapless populace has ever encountered before, and merrily annihilates anyone who tries to oppose him.

Thus the entertainment this series brings is that of watching an incredibly overpowered being wreak havoc on a virgin world. As a first volume, it works better than I had expected. As a series, I'm not sure how it can stay interesting, since it's hard to imagine it being able to muster any tension.

The writing is a bit on the weaker side, with the author seemingly overreaching, but it's bearable enough, and fairly quick to read, once I stopped caring about researching every single adjective you can use to say "scary", sort of thing. Some characterization also made my eyebrows twitch at times, but maybe it gets better as the series moves along. In any case, I feel inclined to pick up another volume to see how it goes.

darkgray on Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari posted:

Finished reading Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari vol 1 by Aneko Yusagi. This is one of the most popular titles to come out of the Shousetsuka ni Narou web novel portal, where budding authors can publish their fledgling works in chapter instalments. Somewhere along the way, it got picked up by a regular publishing house, and has been getting (ludicrously expensive) paper prints since 2013, with the 9th volume coming out next week.

Like the majority of titles on the site, this story is about a regular, if nerdy, 20-year-old university student, who one day finds a strange book in the library, and while reading it gets sucked into a fantasy world, to become one of the four sacred heroes of legend. Of course it turns out to be governed by magic laws that are eerily similar to MMORPGs, and our hero's quest is to level up his epic shield in order to save the world from oncoming waves of demons. The only problem is that the shield rejects all other weapons, so he can't hurt a fly by himself. His solution, obviously, is to purchase a little raccoon slave girl, to foster as his personal damage dealer.

Getting over the initial mandatory facepalming, the story develops unpredictably enough to actually become entertaining. The writing may not be aiming very high, but it's adequate enough not the be an issue, with short, simple sentences and plenty of dialogue. Perfect for teenagers (and retarded foreigners), no doubt. At times it indulges a bit much in details of game mechanics, but it's balanced well enough never to become tedious, even if there's occasionally an undeniable sense of watching over someone's shoulder as they play WoW for the first time.

Embarrassingly, I still find it a lot of fun to read. The protagonist feels wronged by this unjust new world, and watching him be pissed off at everything and everyone is amusing. The relationship between master and slave is also interesting, and forms the main story arc over the course of this first volume. Now that it's seemingly settled, I have no idea how it can be developed further in any meaningful way, but I'm cautiously buying a few more books to find out for myself. I just wish they weren't twice the price of regular light novels, especially with how little text is on each page, giving every new sentence its own line.

I spent money getting the sequels, so there's that.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

darkgray posted:

Most of them originate from a Japanese web novel publishing portal called Shousetsuka ni Narou (Let's Become Authors), where amateurs get to post their fledgling works chapter by chapter, and visitors can read them for free. Readership is then collected into site-wide rankings, and a bunch of the top titles have become so popular that regular publishing houses like Kadokawa have made deals to print them as paper light novels. Curiously most still remain available online with regular updates.

Always looking for something new, I've checked out a few of the printed editions, and the prose is surprisingly decent for what I'd assumed would be horrific fan-fiction level blobs of text. An issue, perhaps, is that there's a ridiculous over-representation of "transported to another world" type fiction. Nearly everything ranked high enough to get attention seems to be about regular guys who warp into game worlds, where progress is measured in levels and skill trees. I guess everyone got sick of playing MMOs themselves, and want to read about others playing them instead, just like kids rather watch gameplay videos on Youtube?

Log Horizon also started there

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Tamba posted:

Log Horizon also started there

Oh, right. But it doesn't really fit into the "regular guy warped into game world" genre, does it? Ruining my theme!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This is only slightly relevant to the current anime season, but is there any fan service/harem anime better than Golden Boy? It's up on Crunchyroll right now, if you feel like ensuring that every other fan service show you might watch suddenly becomes absolute garbage [if it didn't already]. Seriously, it puts so many similar shows to absolute shame in that it's actually funny, has a dork main character who actually has some traits that might make women chase after him, and it features adult women for a change. Basically, what I'm saying here is that more anime should be like Golden Boy, but that's probably not possible.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Oh, right. But it doesn't really fit into the "regular guy warped into game world" genre, does it? Ruining my theme!

Actually that is exactly what the show is about. Unless I'm missing the joke here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
First episode of magical boys made me think, "This is the silliest thing I've watched in a long time."

Then I recalled that I watched Aldnoah episode 13 the day prior.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually that is exactly what the show is about. Unless I'm missing the joke here.

I believe he meant that only a small group of chosen ones get MMO locked as opposed to everyone logged in like .hack, SAO and Log Horizon. Attaching stats to fantasy settings and then breaking those mechanical limitations seem to be really popular trends at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

The blu-ray has been out in Japan forever, though it has not been released in the states yet (or will at all?). It did get a limited theatre run a long while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nuru posted:

It was in theaters in SF a year ago or so. There may be blurays now.

There are supposed to be Aniplex blu Rays but they're insanely expensive and listed as "imports" in their store so I'm not really sure what that means

• Locked thread