Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
fire emblem is not pokemon, don't even kid yourself.

that said, i'm hoping awakening's success inspires them to get a reasonably quick western release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I am so loving down for a new fire emblem.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

last time they announced fe's localization on twitter post e3 because people were bugging them

the series is a bigger deal now, it won't be an entire year to get brought over

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the fact this led off a Direct is a hell of a lot better than what we got with Awakening.

I still figure the earliest we'll get it is November/December, but it probably won't be like a year this time!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bishop Rodan posted:

The only game in which you could feasibly claim archers are OP would be FE10. Rolf and Shinon were goddamn monsters in that game and one of them would always find a spot on my endgame team.

Shinon with the right skills, max support, and that endgame Double Bow that had a 1-2 range (yes, meaning he could attack/counterattack at melee) was pretty much unkillable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm guessing we'll see a Western release before Christmas. A concurrent release would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully they get 8-4 to localize the game again.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Eddain posted:

Shinon with the right skills, max support, and that endgame Double Bow that had a 1-2 range (yes, meaning he could attack/counterattack at melee) was pretty much unkillable.

Yeah but nearly ever unit in that game got unkillable by the end, although archers in FE10 fare better than in Awakening where they're useless again.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I also hope they remove re-classing, which sucks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I agree that it sucks but there's not much chance of that happening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope they keep re-classing and make it mandatory to re-do it every turn

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Reclassing would be fine if it didn't reset your level. I like that Awakening actually restricted your choices to a couple classes that were tailored to that individual unit, that was way better than FE11/12 just throwing them into a class set and letting them be any class that their sex can be.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Things I want to see changed:
-Better maps and objectives
-Smaller numbers
-Less need and opportunity to grind
-a better skill system
-More meaningful supports, character-wise, and on that note less generic characters.
-Return to having supports based on having the same characters on the map of a given chapter, and not having them paired up or close to each other, like in FE9.

Things I want the same:
-No limits on how many supports you get

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Artix posted:

Reclassing would be fine if it didn't reset your level. I like that Awakening actually restricted your choices to a couple classes that were tailored to that individual unit, that was way better than FE11/12 just throwing them into a class set and letting them be any class that their sex can be.

Eh, it removed what was unique about the characters, IMO. Restricting however many guys you have who could be a certain class made each unit feel unique as opposed to just being able to make whoever whatever.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Reclassing owned hard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Like, I understand if there's a mechanic that actively changes the gameplay but re-classing is completely optional and something that's not required at all for even hard. Pair-up I understand that people want to change, but taking away optional mechanics is dumb.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Austrian mook posted:

Eh, it removed what was unique about the characters, IMO. Restricting however many guys you have who could be a certain class made each unit feel unique as opposed to just being able to make whoever whatever.

I think that's really only true for the kids and Avatar. Everyone else was pretty limited TBH, and I liked being able to mix and match stuff.

Plus it means that you can use people without having them compete and lets you give people bonuses or maluses. Like if Erk had the ability to become a Shaman and Pent didn't they'd have been distinct rather than Erk just being a lovely version of Pent 90% of the time or whatever.

For a good example in Awakening, Panne is absolutely ridiculous in terms of growths and stats but her class selection means she always sort of has poo poo options for skills. Ditto with Donnel who really gets fuckall outside of like Sol and Aptitude.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 15, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mabels big day posted:

Things I want to see changed:
-Better maps and objectives
-Smaller numbers
-Less need and opportunity to grind
-a better skill system
-More meaningful supports, character-wise, and on that note less generic characters.
-Return to having supports based on having the same characters on the map of a given chapter, and not having them paired up or close to each other, like in FE9.

Things I want the same:
-No limits on how many supports you get

Is there any game in the series where the vast majority of characters weren't just totally bland? Maybe I'm saying this because I'm going through FE6 right now where basically Treck and Gonzales are the only halfway interesting ones.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Tae posted:

Like, I understand if there's a mechanic that actively changes the gameplay but re-classing is completely optional and something that's not required at all for even hard. Pair-up I understand that people want to change, but taking away optional mechanics is dumb.

Yeah I never use it but I'm not really a fan of the grinding aspect of the series which seems to be getting more of a focus. I've always felt that 7 and 9 were the best the series got and I wish that they'd go back to that style.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is there any game in the series where the vast majority of characters weren't just totally bland? Maybe I'm saying this because I'm going through FE6 right now where basically Treck and Gonzales are the only halfway interesting ones.

7,8,9,10 kinda because half of them are from 9,13,maybe 4

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah I never use it but I'm not really a fan of the grinding aspect of the series which seems to be getting more of a focus. I've always felt that 7 and 9 were the best the series got and I wish that they'd go back to that style.

is it really getting focus? i mean it's there but if anything the main campaign of awakening is too easy, not too dependent on grinding

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

7 had arenas which were literally the ability to grind for infinite gold and EXP, and incredibly easily abused. Honestly far more easily abused than anything in Awakening but the DLC.

Grinding isn't really a huge thing in Awakening anyways, unless you're doing the DLC which is a completely optional purchase for the people who like that poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You literally never have to grind, even on hard. The only time you have to grind is for the final DLC map on its hardest difficulty. Awakening isn't a hard game, you get more than enough EXP by playing it like a non open-world FE game.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

As someone that had to write everyone's supports twice, the only real bland characters in Awakening are Kellam, Male Robin, and Say'ri. Everyone else has at least 3 stand-out moments that make them interesting and/or nutso locco.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tae posted:

As someone that had to write everyone's supports twice, the only real bland characters in Awakening are Kellam, Male Robin, and Say'ri. Everyone else has at least 3 stand-out moments that make them interesting and/or nutso locco.

And Kellam's bland by design so I feel like he shouldn't count.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
reclassing is good because it lets archers do something besides be archers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

it's not right to reclass someone when their character art clearly shows them as a certain class.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That appears to be a female axe user with an iron batclub. I am down.

Cake Attack posted:

is it really getting focus? i mean it's there but if anything the main campaign of awakening is too easy, not too dependent on grinding

I got hung up on wanting certain skills for my characters and fell into grinding for them (which is totally my fault) and never beat the game (playing on Hard) because I was wildly overpowered and lost interest. The game felt right early on before I put myself in that trap. A better or more accessible skill system or not resetting level on class swap (like the DS games) would be good fixes in my opinion, at least to save me from myself.

Thinking of better skill systems, how would you guys prefer skills to work? The thought that occurred to me was having them tied to items like scrolls and books instead of being almost entirely hinged on a particular class and level. Keep the skill slots from Awakening, but you have to find or buy a skill to put in the slot. Strategically, you have to balance your skill resources like you do your weapons--buy simple workhorse skills for everyone like you buy everyone an iron weapon, but this guy gets the Silver Sword and such-and-such skill while this guy gets the Brave Axe and this skill, which you take off this other guy because he no longer needs it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Why not just make everyone flyers though? I just think it makes the game less interesting as a whole but it's okay if you don't agree, I'll just continue to not use the feature.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lotish posted:

Also apparently a dude with an eye patch.

Please put eye patches into the MU maker, IS. I want to play the game as Big Boss and his new MSF.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Please put eye patches into the MU maker, IS. I want to play the game as Big Boss and his new MSF.

im pretty sure that's the avatar's male sprite, but im not sure its actually an eyepatch

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
where's the anime tiny girl that's actually 100 years old.

I mean this is set in glorious fire emblem nippon right???

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

They did that for one of the Female MU options in Awakening, but only that one.

Basically, if they're going to expand MU customizations, stuff like eye patches and headbands are the way to go.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

they're not gonna show off a secret plot important character like that in the first trailer

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

I got hung up on wanting certain skills for my characters and fell into grinding for them (which is totally my fault) and never beat the game (playing on Hard) because I was wildly overpowered and lost interest. The game felt right early on before I put myself in that trap. A better or more accessible skill system or not resetting level on class swap (like the DS games) would be good fixes in my opinion, at least to save me from myself.

Thinking of better skill systems, how would you guys prefer skills to work? The thought that occurred to me was having them tied to items like scrolls and books instead of being almost entirely hinged on a particular class and level. Keep the skill slots from Awakening, but you have to find or buy a skill to put in the slot. Strategically, you have to balance your skill resources like you do your weapons--buy simple workhorse skills for everyone like you buy everyone an iron weapon, but this guy gets the Silver Sword and such-and-such skill while this guy gets the Brave Axe and this skill, which you take off this other guy because he no longer needs it.

I think skills being tied to classes is probably the way to go. They thing I would change though is that you'd have one skill locked to the class and one skill you could earn from 5 levels in the class. So Swordmasters would be the only people with Astra, but you could transfer Swordfaire to other classes.

It would give class choice a bit more meaning and let you go a little more powerful with some 'ultimate' skills if they could never be combined with other 'ultimate' skills.

Plus you could double up on some and get rid of some of the absolute poo poo they clogged they classes with in Awakening. Let Paladins/Great Knights/Generals/Bow Knights have Luna as their Ultimate skill for instance.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 15, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't want to hype it up too much, but i believe fe14 will improve on all of awakening's successes while fixing all if its flaws

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lotish posted:

maybe its a very pretty guy

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would like to see skills tied to characters (maybe with skills learned at certain levels TearRing Saga style) and maybe an innate skill for each promoted class. Also way fewer skills but with bigger bonuses so you don't have a million different "+10 avoid under certain conditions" skills that no one cares about.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OneDeadman posted:

the Radient games had nothing of this sort, neither did FE7

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lotish posted:

Just do it like virtually every SRPG and JRPG with class changing since the SNES era have been doing it, and have skill learning EXP not be tied to conventional experience points. That way you either get a handful of useful-ish skills if you want to reclass everyone for replay value or one guy learning all the mastery skills like Sol and Pasive. Also, having units come with a unique skill would be nice too, it doesn't even have to be crazy stuff like Sol or Vengance, just stuff that makes sense like Kellam with Vantage or Owain with Armsthrift.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Nils and Ninan say hi.

Also, technically Yune, but she was a bird for most of the game before hijacking Micaiah's body for cutscenes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Interesting how those were also the best FEs in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Austrian mook posted:

The Elibe games have Fa (although she's only playable in FE6, she's in both games). Incidentally, she's also loving adorable and actually acts like a child.

:colbert:

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 15, 2015