Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've been on a Vonnegut kick. Who should I move onto next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NienNunb posted:

I've been on a Vonnegut kick. Who should I move onto next?

Pynchon

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Depending on why you liked Vonnegut, Catch 22 might be a good bet.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked that the narration was relatively quick and to the point. Less time on describing in detail how a setting looked and sounded, more on the actual human element.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Catch 22 is funny and (obviously) has a WWII focus, and I wouldn't personally describe Heller as verbose, but he's probably a bit more so than Vonnegut. I'd say read a few pages on Amazon or Google books and if you feel like it works for you, get the book, because it's great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Barlow posted:

I'd second your thought that "Home" was lacking and if you aren't doing the trilogy it could be skipped. Plotwise it repeats the exact same ground as "Gilead." The Jack Boughton character was far too relatable and friendly in "Home," he seemed to lack any clear characteristic that would make it obvious why someone would be so wary of him. The way that he's described by Aimes in "Gilead" you get the sense that he's dangerous, a potential psycopath, but in "Home" he's reduced to being a melancholy alcoholic. Thinking about it further actually hurt my appreciation for that part of "Gilead."

Yeah the Jack of Home is completely different from the Jack of Gilead and it makes Ames seem a lot less like a guy struggling to forgive and love someone who has caused his loved ones agony and more that he is a judgemental prick.

What makes Lila work is that it genuinely feels like two different perspectives of the same event. You can read Gilead and Lila and believe these are two different people interpreting events through their own world view. Home feels like its in a completely different universe, its completely incompatible with Gilead.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not really sure why that would matter. The Pulitzer Prize can be awarded posthumously. As far as I understood no one won because the Pulitzer board had decided no one "deserved" to win. I do agree though that The Pale King was probably nominated just to give the prize to DFW. Same thing with Train Dreams. Denis Johnson deserves a Pulitzer, just not for that book.

Boatswain posted:

On the other hand I tried to read it but couldn't manage more than fifty pages before I threw up.

Oh drat. No idea this book was so polarizing. What didn't you like about it?

Max posted:

I finished Waiting for the Barbarians by Coetzee and I need more literature like that.

Another book of his, The Life and Times of Michael K, is worth your time, then. I always like to recommend Waiting for the Barbarians to my friends who read young adult fiction or more mainstream, easy-going literature. Coetzee strikes a good balance between complex themes and simple presentation. Michael K is similar, in that regard. Also one of my favorite conclusions of all time, prosaically.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

UnoriginalMind posted:

Which book? I loved Swamplandia and liked Pale King and Train Dreams. I just thought Swamplandia should have been the winner.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

UnoriginalMind posted:

Another book of his, The Life and Times of Michael K, is worth your time, then. I always like to recommend Waiting for the Barbarians to my friends who read young adult fiction or more mainstream, easy-going literature. Coetzee strikes a good balance between complex themes and simple presentation. Michael K is similar, in that regard. Also one of my favorite conclusions of all time, prosaically.

I was being hyperbolic and it was a while I go, but IIRC I felt it was too cutesy and especially too american in its presentation and view of itself. It fits perfectly in the category of "literary fiction" which is so popular in both the US and UK & that makes people gush while I don't think the novel (or its first 50 pages) deserve any such accolades, so I guess I'm reacting to that as much as the novel in itself. I guess I'm being excruciatingly snobbish & generalizing but I am so tired of the usual NBA/Pulitzer/Booker Prize novel which is safe, comforting and in my opinion so very tired.

I agree that Michael K is worth it, and most of what Coetzee has written. Elizabeth Costello is very interesting and The Master of St. Petersburg is very moving.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

UnoriginalMind posted:

Awesome, thanks! I don't have a problem with more complex language, but I do like seeing what someone can do with simple presentations.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Boatswain posted:

I was being hyperbolic and it was a while I go, but IIRC I felt it was too cutesy and especially too american in its presentation and view of itself. It fits perfectly in the category of "literary fiction" which is so popular in both the US and UK & that makes people gush while I don't think the novel (or its first 50 pages) deserve any such accolades, so I guess I'm reacting to that as much as the novel in itself. I guess I'm being excruciatingly snobbish & generalizing but I am so tired of the usual NBA/Pulitzer/Booker Prize novel which is safe, comforting and in my opinion so very tired.

American Literature gets such a bad rap. It's my favorite though. I'm biased! Also, that book gets pretty drat "unsafe" when the main character is kidnapped and raped when you thought this was going to be a magical realist boat journey. Nope. Sexual assault.

Max posted:

Awesome, thanks! I don't have a problem with more complex language, but I do like seeing what someone can do with simple presentations.

I don't have a problem with complexity either. I liked Gravity's Rainbow, for example. But there's just something about sitting down with a copy of Disgrace, drinking too much coffee, and blowing through it in 2 hours. Simplicity can be fine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

UnoriginalMind posted:

American Literature gets such a bad rap.

Contemporary American Literature is fantastic and I will fight anyone with the broken end of a beer bottle if they try to say otherwise

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Well not just content but tone / characterization etc. Swamplandia didn't grip me.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Contemporary American Literature is fantastic and I will fight anyone with the broken end of a beer bottle if they try to say otherwise

Lol it is terrible but then everything is so :shrug:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There's plenty of great contemporary American lit, there's just more poo poo than gold. Which is true of pretty much everything ever. For me it was just a matter of digging past the superficial layer of boring, hermetic MA-program-style writing that gets pushed as the contemporary lit scene.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's plenty of great contemporary American lit, there's just more poo poo than gold. Which is true of pretty much everything ever. For me it was just a matter of digging past the superficial layer of boring, hermetic MA-program-style writing that gets pushed as the contemporary lit scene.

From what I know the German/French/Spanish scene is more interesting and less MFA than either the American or British scene.

E: this is stupid so I'll refrain from this kind of arguments in the future :angel:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For me it was just a matter of digging past the superficial layer of boring, hermetic MA-program-style writing that gets pushed as the contemporary lit scene.

How could the shallow epiphanies of an upper-class collegiate get old?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

poisonpill posted:

How could the shallow epiphanies of an upper-class collegiate get old?

Or the riveting tale of a milquetoast creative writing professor's encounter with a nubile young co-ed!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Poll: what is the name of the current trend in literary fiction? Post-Postmodernism?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Post-postmodernism is just Modernism with "trans" bolted onto the front of all the buzzwords.

edit: Personally, the bulk of most contemporary literature still feels firmly postmodern. There are plenty of exceptions, just like there always have been, but there's basically a whole niche industry propped up by people trying to weed out the "next big thing." I've heard post-postmodernism, performatism, pseudo-modernism, etc. They all have nice, cleanly packaged definitions that fit plenty of cherry-picked example texts, but nothing that you could apply very broadly.

I also feel like trying to predict the trends / identifying features of a literary movement as it is happening is probably a fool's errand. I imagine it will be called whatever the fresh batch of critics in 10 or 20 years feel like calling it.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 17, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Poll: what is the name of the current trend in literary fiction? Post-Postmodernism?

Depends what you even see the current prevailing modes of discourse + whatever as being. I think we're still mostly on irony so I don't think we've progressed much past postmodernism even though its been dead since 1973.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Poll: what is the name of the current trend in literary fiction?

Genre fiction

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I really don't understand where the stereotype of American Contemporary Literature comes from. I try to average about 20 or so "American contemporary lit" books hot off the presses every year and the experience is always way more diverse than I think people give it credit for.

Off the top of my head, the only books I can think of to fit the stereotype of "young white college guy experiences epiphany/middle aged man fucks his coed and thinks on aging" from the last year or so are 10:04 and Death of the Black-Haired Girl. Maybe you could toss Everything I Never Told You and Wolf in White Van into there.

In the meantime, there have been books like The Goldfinch, A Brief History of Seven Killings, All Our Names, The Good Lord Bird, Americanah, The Kept, An Untamed State, etc. If anything, I would say contemporary American fiction has a genuinely excellent diversity of authors and narratives, definitely superior to the weird idea of American fiction as a repository of shoe-gazing MFA students.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Off the top of my head, the only books I can think of to fit the stereotype of "young white college guy experiences epiphany/middle aged man fucks his coed and thinks on aging" [...] Wolf in White Van

Uh...??

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Depressed 20-something RPG writer sitting alone in his apartment reflecting on his young life and the emptiness of it all fits the bill close enough to match "the stereotype" people talk about imho.

Not saying the book is bad, its surprisingly good for a book by an Indie musician. However, it could easily be pegged as more or less matching the stereotype.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Off the top of my head, the only books I can think of to fit the stereotype of "young white college guy experiences epiphany/middle aged man fucks his coed and thinks on aging" from the last year or so are 10:04 and Death of the Black-Haired Girl. Maybe you could toss Everything I Never Told You and Wolf in White Van into there.

Is that where Woody Allen gets his inspiration?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Depressed 20-something RPG writer sitting alone in his apartment reflecting on his young life and the emptiness of it all fits the bill close enough to match "the stereotype" people talk about imho.

Not saying the book is bad, its surprisingly good for a book by an Indie musician. However, it could easily be pegged as more or less matching the stereotype.

That would be a really weird way to put it, I guess? "40-something shut-in living with a severe deformity after an attempted suicide as a teenager freaks out after his coping mechanism of RPG-by-mail leads to tragedy in someone else's life" is a more accurate description of the plot, even if most of the book is given over to describing the interior feelings of loneliness and isolation, with most of the plot just being flashbacks and reveals.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

That would be a really weird way to put it, I guess? "40-something shut-in living with a severe deformity after an attempted suicide as a teenager freaks out after his coping mechanism of RPG-by-mail leads to tragedy in someone else's life" is a more accurate description of the plot, even if most of the book is given over to describing the interior feelings of loneliness and isolation, with most of the plot just being flashbacks and reveals.

As I said, maybe you could count it. You are right that if you look at it under anything but the broadest summary it doesn't really click. Ironically my original point was how there are actually few books that much the stereotype of what American fiction is so I guess thanks for proving that point for me.

EDIT: you forgot attempted suicide as a split second act of sheer nihilism after plotting to murder his parents

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this book you guys are talking about sounds more like a typical e/n thread than any kind of literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

this book you guys are talking about sounds more like a typical e/n thread than any kind of literature

Arguably the only difference between literature and an e/n thread is the quality of writing. The Great Gatsby was one friend-zone away from carrying Daisy's printer.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Dear E/N,

I have sort of a weird problem. One morning, when I woke from troubled dreams, I found myself transformed in my bed into a horrible vermin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dante is literally fan fiction. If The Divine Comedy had been written today he would have been lead through hell by Goku.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

When you think about it all western literature pre 1700 is just Bible fanfiction

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

AFter 1700 it becomes Rousseau fanfiction.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Arguably the only difference between literature and an e/n thread is the quality of writing.

I don't think that is the only difference. I think literature generally needs to make some sort of statement about society or art or culture beyond simply detailing the life or a specific problem of one pathetic person, but again I haven't read the book you are talking about so maybe it does

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

"College professor fucks his hot student" was actually good when it was Stoner.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I don't think that is the only difference. I think literature generally needs to make some sort of statement about society or art or culture beyond simply detailing the life or a specific problem of one pathetic person, but again I haven't read the book you are talking about so maybe it does

It is interesting that you list art, culture, and society as important elements to analyze but don't mention people themselves. There is a value to a writer focusing on the human experience in itself, and I would argue it's the most important element of good fiction.

I finished Cloud Atlas a week or so ago and didn't really like it for that very reason. It wants to be a treatise on society and politics and humanity but in the end reduces it's entire cast to caricature and stereotype. I would rather have a book with a well written and authentic human being who says nothing about "the world" than a biblical treatise on existence populated only by icons and symbols.

EDIT: faaaaarrrrrrrtttttttt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is interesting that you list art, culture, and society as important elements to analyze but don't mention people themselves. There is a value to a writer focusing on the human experience in itself, and I would argue it's the most important element of good fiction.

Well all of those things are made of and by people themselves. Don't get me wrong I appreciate a good character study or slice of life type story but I guess I've always thought of "literary" as of course including the human experience but also going a bit beyond it on an individual level.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I don't think "literary" is a a question of content but rather of style. I don't mean a specific style but writerly style in general - how the author presents the narrative, how the author uses language, how comfortable the author is with ambiguity etc. IMO this is a better qualifier since it can include for instance both the nouveau roman and whatever won the Booker Prize last year.

e: the true answer is that "literary" doesn't matter and must always be put in a social and historical context, peace

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Could you give an example of a work that you want categorized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Boatswain posted:

I don't think "literary" is a a question of content but rather of style. I don't mean a specific style but writerly style in general - how the author presents the narrative, how the author uses language, how comfortable the author is with ambiguity etc. IMO this is a better qualifier since it can include for instance both the nouveau roman and whatever won the Booker Prize last year.

e: the true answer is that "literary" doesn't matter and must always be put in a social and historical context, peace

Pretty much this. It's also important to remember that, say, the "postmodern" era doesn't mean that everything everyone writes is postmodern. Like DFW gets tossed around as postmodern even though he always seemed more like a modernist in postmodern clothing to me, and then you've got people like Stephen King, who's probably going to have more longevity than 99% of the "literary" crowd, and he's basically a contemporary naturalist.

And even for literary buffs, I'm fairly certain most people would have a hell of time recognizing the vast majority of Nobel Prize nominees (and even winners) going back more than a couple decades. The contemporary "highbrow" scene is, in most cases, not what ends up being remembered anyway.

Trying to pigeonhole and label every little thing is kind of pointless.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 18, 2015