Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Where do you live? If you're British, I recommend japan-cool.co.uk. They have a little bit of a mark-up, but it's domestic rates for shipping, and you won't get stung with customs charges.

If you want him to get hype for getting Kampfer Amazing, here's a video of it's crowning moment of glory.

Their HG prices are nearly double for some kits. Plus unless you're ordering about 4 HGs at a time you won't be hit by customs and even then not always. Customs only comes in to play when you order over £15 of stuff.

However their MG prices are quite reasonable. Its just that HGs cost so little that they need a relatively big mark up to keep them profitable due to taxes etc.

Edit: Actually, looking again, their MGs can be really expensive as well. Although you're avoiding customs so its probably still cheaper.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Dregs posted:

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

Gundam AGE-1 is also a really solid kid-friendly kit. It's very flexible, it can pull off all sorts of cool poses, and it's very stable. If he wants a little more bulk the Gundam AGE-1 Titus is basically a robot pro-wrestler (but it's a bit less flexible).

Just don't actually watch Gundam AGE. Whether you like Anime or not the show itself is hot garbage, the kits from the show were just really well-designed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pretty much this. If you don't mind about the storylines or anything, just go to dalong.net, click "HG", click "English Catalog" and just let your son pick whichever suit he thinks looks the coolest.

(Unless he picks the one named "Neo Zeong". That's probably a bad move.)

Buy the Neo Zeong, it's the best move, year-round.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ActionZero posted:

I'm not going to try to force you to try it again or get mad at you for it, I'm just going to say the show is super cool but not if you start with a random scene more than halfway through the show without any context and which isn't representative of what the show is like. Picking a random episode of any show and judging the entire thing from the opening scene sounds utterly bizarre to me.

Can't speak for Build Fighters because I haven't watched it, but an awful lot of TV shows, especially kids TV shows, are episodic rather than serial in nature, so just picking a random episode in the middle of a season to get a taste for it isn't especially bizarre.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Agreed. I didn't want to open that can of worms though. I did like the Watchmen.

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

That Reconguista is awesome!

I think your kid is going to be a little disappointed since these aren't really toys to 'play with' the way action figures or legos are. Its a model kit, its poseable (usually), but meant mostly for display. If I knew a kid who wanted to play with toy planes I would look at matchbox or something, not a model kit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Or even something like Robot Damashii, which is Gundam designs, but as action figures, not models.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Zoids? Is that the show with the dog robots and they make kits. I don't know because I never watched it, but their kits are kinda crazy looking. Its also kinda american-ized I believe since they show/showed it on tv over here?

Gundam is kinda hard to jump into any series.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Or even something like Robot Damashii, which is Gundam designs, but as action figures, not models.

Yeah I really like the RD stuff, but they start off at like 60 bucks and hes looking to stay on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Only if you import the limited edition super high end stuff. On Amazon, they're generally about $10 more than their corresponding HG. You'll want to look for sales too; for Black Friday, Crossbone X2 dropped to $17 for example.

Looking at what's available right now, the sale on the RD Wing has been replaced with a sale on RD Aile Strike. If Gundams aren't your thing, the RD Leo is still cheap, and the RD Zaku II and its ridiculous number of accessories are $8 more.

The bigger issue with RD is that it doesn't have a very large line-up in comparison to the model kits. And if you're trying to get something out of print, hoo boy then you start seeing the price inflate.

EDIT: Speaking of RDs I just went and bought RD Den'an Gei. Once RD X3 comes in my Late UC collection will be complete at last, goodbye RD.
and goodbye my dinner

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 19, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So, the humidity was finally low enough for the first time in like 2 or 3 months for me to paint. I finally finished my Mk-II.

What a nightmare.

The RG Gundam Mk-II? loving beautiful. It was my first RG, and while I'm not a fan of cutting mesh tubes and I lost a decal, the kit was a joy to put together and an absolutely wonderful thing to play with afterward. I'm kind of shocked and appalled that people talk so much poo poo about the Real Grades after working with this thing. The Mk-II is flexible, sturdy, pretty, and comes with a full complement of weapons. I absolutely love it, and I can't wait for my next RG (although I know to avoid the RX-78, Zeta, and Zaku II).

The Build Gundam conversion? gently caress. The HG Build Gundam Mk-II is a 12-year-old monstrosity I've bitched about in this thread before, but it can't be restated. Having to rush the paintjob for weather reasons didn't help, either. The Build Mk-II uses a G-Reco amount of stickers for really basic poo poo that could have been easily molded in a different color (the V-fins especially come to mind, but the chest fins are another huge offender). The Build Booster's detail matches the rest of its kit, which means that it's really plain for a 2013 backpack which I had to use about half the RG Mk-II's decals breaking up. The backpack is gigantic and heavy, too, and since I didn't glue the torso straight it weighs the whole thing backward.

The conversion itself was a bitch. I had to partially fabricate a new core block to accomodate the new chest pieces, and the V-fin is just held on by glue. In spite of the rest of the kit clearly being designed not to work with the RG Mk-II, the backpack has an alternate plug designed for the RG Mk-II. The arm rifles just needed some cuts to fit properly, and the rest is history.

Now that that's over with, I can finally get to the rest of my backlooooOOOH MY GOD

I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Your right about working on old kits being a pain in the rear end but keep in mind that the MK II RG is widely considered to be the best RG ever made. Also you may want to consider thinning your paints a little more, as there's some noticeable brush strokes on the v-fin.

good luck with the backlog.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Monaghan posted:

Your right about working on old kits being a pain in the rear end but keep in mind that the MK II RG is widely considered to be the best RG ever made. Also you may want to consider thinning your paints a little more, as there's some noticeable brush strokes on the v-fin.

good luck with the backlog.

I usually do (ex-miniature player), that's from humidity ruining the previous coat > cleaning it off > fixing it with a Gundam Marker. Gundam Markers are really finicky about application, it turns out.

The backlog is mostly 2 people's worth of Christmas gifts, although I inherited all of my girlfriend's unfinished kits, as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Zoids? Is that the show with the dog robots and they make kits. I don't know because I never watched it, but their kits are kinda crazy looking. Its also kinda american-ized I believe since they show/showed it on tv over here?

Gundam is kinda hard to jump into any series.

Zoids is loving BALLER.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Tenzarin, just buy him one of the Transformers Generations toys. It comes with a free comic that resists user incompetence.

Edit: Unless you start reading on page twelve like you did with the show.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there a currently running transformers show that isn't crap? The last one I watched was Beast Wars. And are there good kits for any of the shows?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There was a model kit for the movie version of Optimus Prime, and that's about it as far as I know.

And Transformers is pretty much comic book/movie only now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks. I may go hunting for one when I get home.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The reason people might be a bit miffed is because of a fundamental difference in how Japanese shows compare to American children's programming.

Nothing is really episodic, because every show is pitched for 26-52(ish) episodes.. and that's it. It's very rare a series gets a sequel. Shows like Kamen Rider or the Sentai (Power Rangers) franchises have been getting new seasons for 30 someodd years but they're new concepts, new casts, etc. Usually entirely new worlds.

This leads to a method of storytelling different from a kids' show in America.

This sort of side plot is, in fact, completely normal for shows like this. Sure, the show has some of THE best animated fights Gundam has had in years. But it also tells the story of the people tangled up in this madness, why they care, why we might want to care beyond watching the pretty lights. In context, this is a deliberate breather from the previous episode and it's building anticipation for a fight that has been coming for about five episodes. The Meijin is a stone cold badass by definition, but they don't let him trot out on camera. You KNOW anything he does is going to be.. well... Amazing. But you don't open up with your A Card.

Build Fighters is an EXTREMELY RARE example of a show that was so successful that it got a second season.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want another season, the world tournament!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Of course, it's really stupid and retarded to get miffed that someone who isn't used to watching anime goes diving into anime utterly blind and gets put off about it. Anime in general is pretty loving dumb, and while there's a big old exception in my book for the Gundam franchise, it still has stupid anime tropes like beach episodes and Mao's obsession with Misaki.

Buy plastic robots, build plastic robots, and play with plastic robots. Don't get sassy because some dude didn't like the anime the robot came from.

This is good advice. I had model kits as a kid, and they're not really meant for the kind of rough housing my friends and I got into with our robot action figures. Sadly, the Kampfer (and Amazing) aren't available in the line, but they do have some good chunky guys like the Leo and Zaku II. The Leo even has option parts, though they're expensive motherfuckers.

The hey-day of Gundam action figures was the early 2000s, when they were still airing Wing, G, and others on TV. You could find cheap but satisfying Gundam toys in pretty much every toy store. I think it was the Mobile Suits In Action series. Nowadays, ehh, good luck.

Literally The Worst posted:

Buy the Neo Zeong, it's the best move, year-round.

You continue to live up to your name.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Tenzarin posted:

I want another season, the world tournament!

Considering that Try seems to be doing just as well as season 1. I would not put it beyond them. A third season would be unheard of, but the kits AND the show just keeps getting more insane.

Though I fear what a World Level fight will be like if a couple of National contenders are crashing the sim.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So to clear up some spots of future/tamiya flat base, can I wet sand to buff them out or should I just wet sand and respray those parts?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you're up for some aggressive snooping and bidding, eBay is a really good place to get RDs. There's always some guys selling them in giant lots too; while they're pricey (one was ~$330 for all five original Wing Gundams + the web exclusive option sets), they were still much cheaper than buying individually. For example, whoever wins this is going to save a hilarious amount of money, even with $25 shipping. The V2AB alone goes out for almost $100, and the less said about how much the old Crossbones cost the better.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

What we need here is another opinion. Peoples personal taste isn't what people should be focusing on. Let him like or dislike whatever he wants.

What people should be focusing on is where you spread your opinion. I like cars as much as the next guy but I wouldn't go into the Automotive Insanity subforum, ask for advice, and then thumb my nose and belittle people sharing their pet car passions with me, and you can always be gracious and be like 'thanks but it wasnt for us' and leave it at that.

Yakisoba!

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 20, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Jumping into the middle of the series to test a series is kinda poor because you have no idea who these characters are and what they are trying to do. It would be like reading the last chapter of a book and then from an opinion on how it got there without any knowledge prior of it.

Ok so like you never seen ninja turtles before, pretend. Then you just watch it for the last few seconds of an episode. Turtles are bashing shredder over the head and beaten' him up. Someone might think with no knowledge of the show or the characters that the turtles are pretty mean turtles, dude cowabunga.

Or like lord of the rings, they didn't like jump into the trilogy Frodo running with the ring cause they had to build it up for hours and hours and hours. Then frodo gets the ring and walks for 2 movies in till it is time for lava bath.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

Is there a currently running transformers show that isn't crap? The last one I watched was Beast Wars. And are there good kits for any of the shows?

Go watch Transformers Prime for some fairly-recent CGI goodness. It even has Peter Cullen and Frank Welker in their old roles of Optimus and Megatron :allears:. It starts with the miniseries Darkness Rising, then the proper 3-season series.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
"Wow, 66 new posts. They must have unveiled some super good Gunpla...oh, it's people arguing to another guy because he doesn't know how to watch anime."

Kibner posted:

Watch Transformers Prime. The show has ended but it was a great piece of Transformers media, and like you, this is coming from a guy who stopped caring about the series once Beast Wars ended. Here's one of my favorite clips from the show for a non-spoilerish demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFTsnB3Olo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TaurusOxford posted:

Watch Transformers Prime. The show has ended but it was a great piece of Transformers media, and like you, this is coming from a guy who stopped caring about the series once Beast Wars ended. Here's one of my favorite clips from the show for a non-spoilerish demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFTsnB3Olo

Thanks!

Oh my, the voices! :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

Thanks!

If you get annoyed by Miko tagging along in the first few episodes, don't worry. The writers get the message and fix that eventually.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kibner posted:

Thanks!

Just wait until you get to Nemesis Prime, who speaks entirely in Bayformers Optimus Prime quotes :allears:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
^ Yesssssss

While looking for Transformers kit, I found a motherfucking CANNON TORTOISE!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Zoids RPG on Game Boy Advance was some kinda dope poo poo.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So my macross kit was missing these small metal rods used for folding effects. Anywhere I can get replacements?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you know the size, it shouldn't be too hard to get brass rod replacements. They sell them online, in hobby stores, probably even hardware stores.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So my macross kit was missing these small metal rods used for folding effects. Anywhere I can get replacements?

If it's just a straight rod go to a hobby or art store and get some rod stock of the appropriate diameter.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibner posted:

^ Yesssssss

While looking for Transformers kit, I found a motherfucking CANNON TORTOISE!

its one of the cheaper kits too, buy it!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I... kinda want the Iron Kong now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm waiting for that exact one to come in stock on HLJ actually :v: it owns. It's also loving massive. Those people are roughly the same size as the ones that come in MGs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They've posted more Try Burning info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've posted more Try Burning info