Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

What if you made a super smart computer that would believe in you and treat you with respect, like an equal, the way those jerks at school or your parents or the neighborhood kids who made fun of you never did? Who could love you the way you deserve so that everything would be beautiful and nothing would hurt ever again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toph Bei Fong posted:

What if you made a super smart computer that would believe in you and treat you with respect, like an equal, the way those jerks at school or your parents or the neighborhood kids who made fun of you never did? Who could love you the way you deserve so that everything would be beautiful and nothing would hurt ever again?

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Do you have a cult?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

pentyne posted:

Sorry, Permutation City.

Greg Egan is a good sci-fi writer and doesn't deserve to be tarnished by association with sci-fi fan turned internet longpost writer Ellie Yudkowsky.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

pentyne posted:

This is the plot to Snow Crash, right? I've had it explained to me a handful of times but nothing anyone says has ever made sense to me beyond the main character had a mental disorder that meant he couldn't tell if he was a simulation or not and that drove the plot.

To expand a little, the plot to Snow Crash (or at least part of it, it's a pretty complicated book) is that it's possible to program human brains using precisely the right tones and/or images, and that this is in fact how the first languages worked. It's pretty interesting, and you should probably read it if you like Sci-Fi at all because it's referenced in all sorts of places.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wolfsbane posted:

To expand a little, the plot to Snow Crash (or at least part of it, it's a pretty complicated book) is that it's possible to program human brains using precisely the right tones and/or images, and that this is in fact how the first languages worked. It's pretty interesting, and you should probably read it if you like Sci-Fi at all because it's referenced in all sorts of places.
This is basically the concept of neurolinguistic programming, isn't it? Which in itself does not seem to be very testable even if it might be a good, like, poetic metaphor. I guess there's those weird cases like the PNG languages that don't say "left or right" but "north of you" giving people good senses of direction.

Though isn't that image stuff in turn where the idea of the basilisk came from? The general case there being "an image that causes a stack overflow in the human brain architecture, killing you"?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

This is basically the concept of neurolinguistic programming, isn't it? Which in itself does not seem to be very testable even if it might be a good, like, poetic metaphor. I guess there's those weird cases like the PNG languages that don't say "left or right" but "north of you" giving people good senses of direction.

Though isn't that image stuff in turn where the idea of the basilisk came from? The general case there being "an image that causes a stack overflow in the human brain architecture, killing you"?

yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Langford#Basilisks

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
man, all I used to read was lesswrong growing up, let me have my sperg doomsday cult GBS :saddowns:

Unbudgingprawn
Feb 13, 2008

Dzhay posted:

Greg Egan is a good sci-fi writer and doesn't deserve to be tarnished by association with sci-fi fan turned internet longpost writer Ellie Yudkowsky.

Greg Egan actually makes a swipe at Less Wrong/Kurzweil in Zendegi

Greg Egan posted:

“I’m Nate Caplan.” He offered her his hand, and she shook it. In response to her sustained look of puzzlement he added, “My IQ is one hundred and sixty. I’m in perfect physical and mental health. And I can pay you half a million dollars right now, any way you want it. [...] when you’ve got the bugs ironed out, I want to be the first. When you start recording full synaptic details and scanning whole brains in high resolution—” [...] “You can always reach me through my blog,” he panted. “Overpowering Falsehood dot com, the number one site for rational thinking about the future—”

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Unbudgingprawn posted:

Ahahaha, that is golden.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yudkowsky is a stupid stupid man but y'all some sad dorks for obsessing about it fyi

aren't you the guy who spent six months downvoting every thread in D&D after you got chased out of a thread

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sleeveless posted:

aren't you the guy who spent six months downvoting every thread in D&D after you got chased out of a thread
He also appears to be a Hellthread regular. :shrek:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Unbudgingprawn posted:

I'd somehow forgotten that. Thank-you.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody explain the thing where yud has the power to reprogram his own brain, but he can only do it once because it's such a dangerous thing to do

Unbudgingprawn
Feb 13, 2008

Dzhay posted:

I'd somehow forgotten that. Thank-you.

Egan seems like a nega-Yudkowsky. Incredibly private, prolific and actually knows something about math.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Somebody explain the thing where yud has the power to reprogram his own brain, but he can only do it once because it's such a dangerous thing to do
I believe by 'reprogram his own brain' he meant 'do something actively unpleasant, or otherwise exert willpower beyond maybe nudging myself to do something I want to do but maybe have been putting off.'

Then again maybe just 'do anything I don't want to do' considering how his loving magnum opurt is taking forever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Unbudgingprawn posted:

Egan seems like a nega-Yudkowsky. Incredibly private, prolific and actually knows something about math.

Egan is one of the best authors I've ever read and who absolutely rejects any sort of fame or celebrity status. His fictional mathematics are also near-infinitely more rigorous and defined then anything Yud has ever written, claimed, or talked about.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nessus posted:

I believe by 'reprogram his own brain' he meant 'do something actively unpleasant, or otherwise exert willpower beyond maybe nudging myself to do something I want to do but maybe have been putting off.'

Then again maybe just 'do anything I don't want to do' considering how his loving magnum opurt is taking forever.

"Be an adult"="reprogram my loving brain"

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Yudkowsky posted:

Given a task, I still have an enormous amount of trouble actually sitting down and doing it. (Yes, I'm sure it's unpleasant for you too. Bump it up by an order of magnitude, maybe two, then live with it for eight years.) My energy deficit is the result of a false negative-reinforcement signal, not actual damage to the hardware for willpower; I do have the neurological ability to overcome procrastination by expending mental energy. I don't dare. If you've read the history of my life, you know how badly I've been hurt by my parents asking me to push myself. I'm afraid to push myself. It's a lesson that has been etched into me with acid.
And yes, I'm good enough at self-alteration to rip out that part of my personality, disable the fear, but I don't dare do that either. The fear exists for a reason. It's the result of a great deal of extremely unpleasant experience. Would you disable your fear of heights so that you could walk off a cliff? I can alter my behavior patterns by expending willpower - once. Put a gun to my head, and tell me to do or die, and I can do. Once. Put a gun to my head, tell me to do or die, twice, and I die. It doesn't matter whether my life is at stake. In fact, as I know from personal experience, it doesn't matter whether my home planet and the life of my entire species is at stake. If you can imagine a mind that knows it could save the world if it could just sit down and work, and if you can imagine how that makes me feel, then you have understood the single fact that looms largest in my day-to-day life.

I'm so misunderstood~

I think a lot of children make up reasons to explain why they aren't as amazing as they want to be. Usually they're not quite this transparent: "I'm saving my superpowers for when they will save the most people because I am an anime" would not convince your average sixth grade bully. Good thing he was homeschooled.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

What if you made a super smart computer but didn't give it arms or access to the internet so it could hate you all it wanted but it's just a box so whatever?
I guess it could talk you into suicide but the first time it does that to somebody just put on earmuffs and go in and pull the plug.

What if the moon was made of ribs?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm so misunderstood~

I think a lot of children make up reasons to explain why they aren't as amazing as they want to be. Usually they're not quite this transparent: "I'm saving my superpowers for when they will save the most people because I am an anime" would not convince your average sixth grade bully. Good thing he was homeschooled.
I was actually reading earlier about the "chunibyou" or "eighth grader" phenomenon, in which, basically, a child decides that anime is real life.

For an eighth grader going through a phase, tying their demon seal wristband on is no great sin.

How old's Yud?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nessus posted:

How old's Yud?
Too.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

He was born in 1979.

Holy poo poo I thought the guy was like my age

Big Yud posted:

“I'm lazy! I hate work! Hate hard work in all its forms! Clever shortcuts, that's all I'm about!”

I am shocked.

Edit:

This looks fun

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

SolTerrasa posted:

Good thing he was homeschooled.

That's probably a large reason for his lack of perspective. So if anything it isn't really a good thing and more a prime example of why it is a bad idea.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Christ, he's older than I am, at least that much is a relief.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The AI-box thing rests on two very solid assumptions.

1) The AI can cause things to happen outside the box (using mind magic, or the world is just a simulation for the sole purpose of loving with you etc)

2) The human participant is taking the whole thing seriously and not responding to everything the AI says with variations of "lol ur a human being".

e: also lol at yud going "I'm lazy, but I'm sooo lazy it's actually kind of a superpower". Like the guy has never heard of writer's block or lack of motivation, and just assumes it's something unique to him.

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The AI-box thing rests on two very solid assumptions.

1) The AI can cause things to happen outside the box (using mind magic, or the world is just a simulation for the sole purpose of loving with you etc)

2) The human participant is taking the whole thing seriously and not responding to everything the AI says with variations of "lol ur a human being".

e: also lol at yud going "I'm lazy, but I'm sooo lazy it's actually kind of a superpower". Like the guy has never heard of writer's block or lack of motivation, and just assumes it's something unique to him.

Not unique, his anxiety is just two orders of magnitude worse than everyone elses!

Literally a hundred times worse than any of you mortals

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Skittle Prickle posted:

Not unique, his anxiety is just two orders of magnitude worse than everyone elses!

Literally a hundred times worse than any of you mortals

Computer Scientist: You meant to say, 4 times :colbert:

Mathematician: You meant to say, 7.3890560989306495... times :colbert:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hate Fibration posted:

He was born in 1979.

Holy poo poo I thought the guy was like my age
I take it you've never seen a picture of him:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

My parents always used to downplay the value of intelligence. And play up the value of—effort, as recommended by the latest research? No, not effort. Experience. A nicely unattainable hammer with which to smack down a bright young child, to be sure. That was what my parents told me when I questioned the Jewish religion, for example. I tried laying out an argument, and I was told something along the lines of: "Logic has limits, you'll understand when you're older that experience is the important thing, and then you'll see the truth of Judaism." I didn't try again. I made one attempt to question Judaism in school, got slapped down, didn't try again. I've never been a slow learner.

Whenever my parents were doing something ill-advised, it was always, "We know better because we have more experience. You'll understand when you're older: maturity and wisdom is more important than intelligence."

If this was an attempt to focus the young Eliezer on intelligence uber alles, it was the most wildly successful example of reverse psychology I've ever heard of.

But my parents aren't that cunning, and the results weren't exactly positive.

For a long time, I thought that the moral of this story was that experience was no match for sheer raw native intelligence. It wasn't until a lot later, in my twenties, that I looked back and realized that I couldn't possibly have been more intelligent than my parents before puberty, with my brain not even fully developed. At age eleven, when I was already nearly a full-blown atheist, I could not have defeated my parents in any fair contest of mind. My SAT scores were high for an 11-year-old, but they wouldn't have beaten my parents' SAT scores in full adulthood. In a fair fight, my parents' intelligence and experience could have stomped any prepubescent child flat. It was dysrationalia that did them in; they used their intelligence only to defeat itself.

Jesus Christ, no wonder he thinks an AI would want to destroy humanity. If it was anything like him (and as the Übermensch, of course it would be) it would kill us all thanks to the gigantic parental complex it would have.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Where's the part where he cooly dismisses effort, justifying his own lazy "intelligence"?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm so misunderstood~

It's still not to late to trap him in a room with a sixth-grade bully and give him some lessons in perspective

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 23, 2015

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I take it you've never seen a picture of him:

?!?!??!

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Political Whores posted:

Jesus Christ, no wonder he thinks an AI would want to destroy humanity. If it was anything like him (and as the Übermensch, of course it would be) it would kill us all thanks to the gigantic parental complex it would have.

it would be really annoying for your parents to be that smug lol

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What if the moon was made of ribs?
Then John Young wouldn't have had to sneak sandwiches onto spacecraft.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i gotta do this before lovedump goes into effect so: bad thread, gas everyone

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Dieting Hippo posted:

bad thread, gas everyone

Joke's on you. This thread is an AI simulation.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Joke's on you. This thread is an AI simulation.

If you don't post in this thread, a future AI will ban your simulation.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I found something today, while I was hunting around for Big Yud's old programming language project. It turns out that the programming language (Flare, it's called, and never finished) was part of The Path To Singularity.

I really cannot express how fantastic this link is without posting the whole drat thing, but here are some choice quotes.

quote:

"The Plan to Singularity" is a concrete visualization of the technologies, efforts, resources, and actions required to reach the Singularity.  Its purpose is to assist in the navigation of the possible futures, to solidify our mental speculations into positive goals, to explain how the Singularity can be reached, and to propose the creation of an institution for doing so.

May you have an enjoyable, intriguing, and Singularity-promoting read. 

--Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Navigator.

quote:

PtS is an interventionist timeline; that is, I am not projecting the course of the future, but describing how to change it.  I believe the target date for the completion of the project should be set at 2010, with 2005 being preferable; again, this is not the most likely date, but is the probable deadline for beating other, more destructive technologies into play.  (It is equally possible that progress in AI and nanotech will run at a more relaxed rate, rather than developing in "Internet time".  We can't count on finishing by 2005.  We also can't count on delaying until 2020.)

quote:

This begs the oft-asked question of 'Shouldn't we tone down the Singularity meme, for fear of panicking someone?'  In introductory pages and print material, maybe.  But there's no point in toning down the advanced Websites, even if technophobes might run across them.  Given the kind of people who are likely to oppose us, we'll be accused of plotting to bring about the end of humanity regardless of whether or not we admit to it.

There's just too much of this document for me to ever post only the good parts. It's so intricately detailed. He had thought about what countries are least likely to make AI illegal. He advises anyone interested in the Singularity to make multiple offshore backups in his list of countries, and be ready to move at a moment's notice. He specifically addresses both Greenpeace activists and televangelists (and a whole host of others) as long-term threats to his plan. He has plans for a propaganda arm producing both "introductory pages and print material" as well as "advanced Websites", from back when you capitalized Websites. He even predicted that no one would ever need hardware more complex than what was available in 1999. I mean, he's just wrong about everything. He's winning Terrible Futurist Bingo.

He published this thing when he was the same age as I was when I wrote my MS thesis. It took him at least two years to write. It's way the hell longer than my thesis. And every drat one of these intricately drawn-out steps was attempted then abandoned when it turned out to be hard; you can find the detritus of most of them spread about the internet. I guess it just wasn't important enough for him to do his Rationalist Limit Break or whatever and ~rewrite his brain~.

The only thing in this whole document he actually did was found the Singularity Institute (which folded amid embezzlement controversy, so he founded MIRI).

My favorite part of the whole thing is the note at the top that this document is deprecated, because we really needed to be explicitly told that this plan for Singularity 2005 didn't come true. So of course he predicted Singularity 2030 instead. He's winning Doomsday Prophet Bingo today too.

http://www.yudkowsky.net/obsolete/plan.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

quote:

The software industry isn't in trouble now, but there may be trouble brewing; to wit, CEOs and even CIOs starting to wonder whether investing trillions of dollars in software development - half of all capital investment in the US is going into information technology - is really paying dividends. Large projects in particular are starting to run into Slow Zone problems (27), the tendency for anything above a certain level of complexity to bog down. Of course, many of these people are still using COBOL, and there's not much you can do to help a company that clueless, but some projects use C++ or Java (or even Python) and still run into trouble.

quote:

Given the historical fact that Cro-Magnons (us) are better computer programmers than Neanderthals, I would expect human-equivalent smartness to produce a sharp jump in programming ability, meaning that, for self-modifying AI, the intelligence curve will be going sharply upward in the vicinity of human equivalence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So an interesting thing happened today. We were going around introducing ourselves in my philosophy class, when a painfully awkward guy stood up and introduced himself as a rationalist, and was evasive about the particulars when the professor asked. I could immediately tell that he didn't mean he was a fan of Plato. I knew it was a futile gesture, but I decided to try and warn him about the mistake he was making. So I grab him after class and just say 'Don't put stock in Eliezer Yudkowsky'. The guy just looks at me in shock because apparently he's never heard the name said out loud before. I spend like 5 minuets trying to get my point across, but he got kind of mopey when he realized I wasn't a true believer.

Anyway, he asked if I had any specific examples of Yud's hypocrisy, but this thread has made all Yud's crazy kind of blur together to me, and I don't want to reread this whole loving thread. So, can someone post their favorite 'Yud being indefensibly crazy' thing from earlier that they can remember? (I'm tempted to use the thing SolTerrasa linked but I'm not sure the guy knows anything about tech.)

• Locked thread