Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

Read any of his columns and you'll understand why. From the dad jokes of Dr. Football to the obvious points made to sound profound to the shameless self-aggrandizing (one of his Sunday columns last year was literally just about how great the actors in his play about Ernie Harwell are), he's the loving worst.

He also has the nasty habit of making one-line paragraphs that he repeats over and over again because he thinks they are mind-blowing.

Urban Meyer? More like Rural Meyer!

*collects National Sportswriter of the Year award*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Nerdfest X posted:

Willingham's race WAS a factor in him getting hired at Notre Dame, for the same reason Charlie Strong's race was a factor in him getting hired at Texas.
If you believe that they were hired on merit alone that's fine.

Ty Willingham turned out to be a dud, and his incompetence (not race) caused him to get fired, but to say that his race had zero to do with him being the head coach in the 1st place is naïve.

I disagree very much about his race not having to do with him getting fired, and I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

Willingham starts off his first season going 8-0.
Weis starts off his first season 5-2, gets a contract extension.

After three years Willingham's record is 21-15, fired. After three years Weis has a record of 22-15, and gets two more years of coaching. That was just from a very, very quick look so maybe I missed some important stuff, but basically gently caress Notre Dame forever.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jummy posted:

I disagree very much about his race not having to do with him getting fired, and I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

Willingham starts off his first season going 8-0.
Weis starts off his first season 5-2, gets a contract extension.

After three years Willingham's record is 21-15, fired. After three years Weis has a record of 22-15, and gets two more years of coaching. That was just from a very, very quick look so maybe I missed some important stuff, but basically gently caress Notre Dame forever.

Yeah you missed the fact that Weis was pulling in top 10 recruiting classes every year while Tyrone Willingham was hitting the links in the off season. Dude managed the 91st ranked recruiting class in 2004. In case you're wondering, that was sandwiched between Tulsa and La Tech. Even if Willingham was coming off a 9-3 season that year I'd fire him for that loving incompetence. Any loving moron could get a Notre Dame recruiting class in the top 30 at least. But this rear end in a top hat was so unlikeable that he actually drove recruits away. Then he went and did the same poo poo at Washington and people still give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's almost as if there's more to a story than just what goes on on the field......

edit: oh and the class of 2005 was shaping up to be even worse, with only like 5-7 guys committed when Weis got hired. Weis managed to get 8 more guys to commit after he was hired, bringing that class into at least the top 50.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
But Weis didn't pull top ten every year, he was 40, 8, 8, 8, and 21. Still pretty good, but not top ten every year.

Willingham was 24, 12, and then 91 like you said. Even with the better recruiting classes their records were still basically the same which sort of points to Weis not being a better coach. He also managed to go 3-9 in his third season without getting fired. No amount of ellipses will change that but feel free to keep throwing them in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That 3-9 season was one year removed from a BCS game. There was hope that season was an aberration as they were running with a freshman QB who was highly touted.

As for the early extension, I think that had more to do with where each coach was in their respected careers. At the time, Weis was arguably the hottest commodity in all of coaching. He had just finished being the OC for an NFL team that had won 3 Super Bowls. He had started the year 5-2 against a really tough schedule (they also almost beat a juggernaut USC squad) with a team that couldn't make a bowl game the year before. Pretty sure the thinking was " we don't want to lose this guy to another school or to the NFL". Willingham got off to a great start too, but the threat of him leaving for the NFL was never really a concern at the time.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
One of my favorite Ty Willingham/recruiting anecdotes is what happened when Steve Sarkisian, newly hired as UW head coach, pulled a scholly from a kid who committed to the school. The kid got only three offers during the rest of the recruitment: Idaho, Trinity and Central Washington.

Actual thread content: the New York Times' Not the Knicks series is very good and you should read all of them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I listened to all 70 minutes of Lena Dunham talking to Bill Simmons and it's really bizarre how well they get along.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

I listened to all 70 minutes of Lena Dunham talking to Bill Simmons and it's really bizarre how well they get along.

She's trying to get her show's audience to grow beyond double digit viewers and he's desperate to prove how he's totally not a chauvinist any more even if he wants to stare at Serena Williams' rear end all day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

She's trying to get her show's audience to grow beyond double digit viewers and he's desperate to prove how he's totally not a chauvinist any more even if he wants to stare at Serena Williams' rear end all day.

I imagine Lena Dunham measures the success of her show by think pieces generated.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

I imagine Lena Dunham measures the success of her show by think pieces generated.
Ratings were down 40% percent for the season premiere :laugh:

And, she's apparently blaming conservatives for it and not...you know...things like people being really skeeved out by her practically bragging about acting like a sexual predator toward her younger sister for shits and giggles.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 22, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

:laugh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Ratings were 40% percent for the season premiere :laugh:

And, she's apparently blaming conservatives for it and not...you know...things like people being really skeeved out by her practically bragging about acting like a sexual predator toward her younger sister for shits and giggles.

I blame it on the sterotypical depiction of The Great State of Iowa.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I read that the link was to a twenty-minute video too! Top-shelf stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is my greatest fear in life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bryan Curtis wrote about the annoying "Talk About" non-question: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sports-media-press-conferences-nba-nfl-mlb-nhl-lebron-james-bill-belichick/

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Sports Illustrated cut their entire photojournalism staff:

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/314599/sports-illustrated-cuts-entire-photojournalism-staff/

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So when do they just change their actual name to SI.com?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

So when do they just change their actual name to SI.com?
Bleacher Report: The Magazine

Sorry if I made any of you out there recoil in horror.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 23, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bet you any amount of money you please that the next issue will still have photos. This is part of an industry-wide trend of turning every person not in an executive office or part of the executive support structure into a freelancer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Remember when J. Jonah Jameson was just a parody caricature?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crion posted:

Bet you any amount of money you please that the next issue will still have photos. This is part of an industry-wide trend of turning every person not in an executive office or part of the executive support structure into a freelancer.

There were only six photographers on staff, according to the article, so they've been been doing that for a long time.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crion posted:

It is a bullshit industry-wide trend

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember when J. Jonah Jameson was just a parody caricature?

It would be a pretty big score for SI if they could get pictures of Spiderman

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It is a bullshit industry.

You had too many words in your sentence.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Sports Illustrated to renamed itself to Sports.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
This guy on r/nba found out that Chad Ford changes his draft board after the draft lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2tk9xa/chad_ford_changes_his_draft_boards_years_after/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Geno posted:

This guy on r/nba found out that Chad Ford changes his draft board after the draft lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2tk9xa/chad_ford_changes_his_draft_boards_years_after/

And yet this does not surprise me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ford is denying any involvement and ESPN put out a release saying they believe him. They also apparently have no idea who is editing stuff on their website which you would think would be a big issue.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/statement-on-changes-to-chad-fords-nba-draft-prospect-rankings/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What's the in-joke behind telling Adam Schefter "my wife left me"? When I google it I just get a ton of tweets where people do it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the in-joke behind telling Adam Schefter "my wife left me"? When I google it I just get a ton of tweets where people do it.

Sometimes there isn't really a joke.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

zakharov posted:

Sometimes there isn't really a joke.

Would you say it's.......a meme......

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
holy moly this is a real piece of work

money quote:

quote:

Also, consider their general profile: These largely are very young men whose talent has afforded them shelter and structure most of their lives. They are people for whom "hard work" equates to lifting weights and running sprints; for whom "commitment" means adhering to a loose daily schedule that tells them when to wake, when to eat, when to think; for whom "adversity" means being .500 midway through a season and somehow making the playoffs.

They know little of the real world and its gravity.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
running sprints and lifting weights is pretty hard

also lol at the idea that there is anyone could make a mockery of the absurdity that is media day. there were literal puppets and a dude dressed in a barrel asking questions yesterday.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'd argue that people who lift weights have a very good understanding of gravity

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hmm, who writes for Philly.com that could spew this? Oh it's Marcus Hayes. No one is surprised. Just call him mini-Prisco.

A writer suggesting that a professional athlete doesn't know the meaning of hard work is the height of irony.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's also the fact that Lynch in particular grew up poor as hell in a horrible part of Oakland with no father, so coming from that to a scholarship at loving Berkley and a NFL career involved more hard work and overcoming adversity than that dickbag could even begin to imagine.

But he won't give them a dumb soundbyte so better throw a fit and call him spoiled and lazy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brian Murphy @murphPPress
Marshawn Lynch's tired sphinx act masks the hard truth that without the media NFL players would be playing in a parking lot for $8 an hour
1:39 PM - 28 Jan 2015

jesus :staredog:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

But he won't give them a dumb soundbyte so better throw a fit and call him spoiled and lazy.
The functional definition of "spoiled and lazy" = doesn't make my job as a sportswriter easier by giving me pre-digested quotes.

You can hit the weight room all day and watch game tape until your eyes melt and run down your face, but if you don't follow that up by saying you were giving 110% out there, you're a spoiled lazy goldbricking bum. Got it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
it is kind of fun watching the death throes of an industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Crossposting from TFF because everybody needs to see this