Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, what is it with Slaine and third episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I have to admit...the exact way this happened was quite ridiculous, but the idea isn't bad.

Of course, now that the Count is finally out of the picture (a little behind schedule)...Slaine will keep climbing up the ranks and when the princess wakes up it'll all be his fault!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E44jeO1c-k&t=110s

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

I have to admit...the exact way this happened was quite ridiculous, but the idea isn't bad.

Of course, now that the Count is finally out of the picture (a little behind schedule)...Slaine will keep climbing up the ranks and when the princess wakes up it'll all be his fault!

Slaine had Aldnoah on his side, in the form of a device that could accurately predict the future hours in advance. That's entirely plausible given the kind of insane bullshit Aldnoah is capable of, and explains a lot about this episode. What's Tharsis's range, for a start? Was Slaine just monitoring the battle in orbit to see where the Dioscura would be, or did he even manage to forecast that he'd be named Saazbaum's heir? Was discovering he'd be the heir why he staged the hit in the first place? Either way, our boy's got a hell of an edge.

Basically, it was the cool kind of ridiculous where they set up a whole bunch of stuff in advance, and then push it to the most insane (but still consistent) conclusion possible, though it does underline yet further what a narrow-minded dumbas Cruhteo was. Guess you should have taken a break from your BDSM sessions with the Terran kid and fired up your 'Phrakt once in a while, dude.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK, now I can see where this season's going, and boy do I look forward to it.

Momentous, last minute shakeups aside, I actually felt that there was some much-needed character building/interaction; nice to see that Inaho actually has a friend in Calm, and the chess game between him and the captain was a good way to illustrate their relationship.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Slaine had Aldnoah on his side, in the form of a device that could accurately predict the future hours in advance. That's entirely plausible given the kind of insane bullshit Aldnoah is capable of, and explains a lot about this episode. What's Tharsis's range, for a start? Was Slaine just monitoring the battle in orbit to see where the Dioscura would be, or did he even manage to forecast that he'd be named Saazbaum's heir? Was discovering he'd be the heir why he staged the hit in the first place? Either way, our boy's got a hell of an edge.

Basically, it was the cool kind of ridiculous where they set up a whole bunch of stuff in advance, and then push it to the most insane (but still consistent) conclusion possible, though it does underline yet further what a narrow-minded dumbas Cruhteo was. Guess you should have taken a break from your BDSM sessions with the Terran kid and fired up your 'Phrakt once in a while, dude.

I'll grant you that explanation is consistent with the way this series has been doing things. The rest is a matter of perspective.

Side note: after this turn of events...am I the only person who thinks this could basically end like Toward the Terra now?

Except with Aldnoah powers and whatever instead of the whole ESP/psychics aspect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

I'll grant you that explanation is consistent with the way this series has been doing things. The rest is a matter of perspective.

Side note: after this turn of events...am I the only person who thinks this could basically end like Toward the Terra now?

Except with Aldnoah powers and whatever instead of the whole ESP/psychics aspect.

I think it's a little more than just typical for the show - it fits with the setting's established and implied logic. Up until now, the Tharsis felt kind of underpowered for a Count's weapon. Its bullet-dodging trick is neat, but as was explicitly pointed out this episode, it's not that far off what Terran technology can accomplish, and not a patch on 'freeze everything in a one-kilometre radius', 'turn myself into a single, unbreakable molecule and ram you', or 'gently caress you, I have all the powers'. And, as I said, this is a neat workaround for any contrivances or unlikely coincidences in this episode - being able to accurately predict the future hours in advance means that you can basically dictate the situation as you wish.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Actually Slaine says both that it was intended as a trap for Inaho and that the Tharsis can't see that far into the future.

So it was pretty much luck and opportunism.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Yeah, Slaine explicitly says 'not even the Tharsis can see that far into the future' after firing those bullets and activating a six hour countdown, and then he mentions that Harklight calculated the region he aimed at. So he probably just blindfired into a spot that would end up close to the most probable battlefield and then used the Tharsis' more limited future sight to manoeuvre the dogfight into the path of the bullets.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Alright, Aldnoah, you win. I think I actually like Slaine after this episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Overlord K posted:

Alright, Aldnoah, you win. I think I actually like Slaine after this episode.

He's still a huge loser with an intensely unsettling "nice guy" relationship with a vegetative woman floating in a bacta tank from Star Wars, but at least he's got a fancy coat now.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Kanos posted:

He's still a huge loser with an intensely unsettling "nice guy" relationship with a vegetative woman floating in a bacta tank from Star Wars, but at least he's got a fancy coat now.

Yeah he's still a huge loser. Just that trap he laid was quite impressive and he made full use of it, even if it wasn't who he wanted.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm going to miss Saazbaum, he was the only Orbital Knight worth a drat.

I expect Slaine and Harklight to invest further into Martian line kats. They got slaughtered by Terran line kats, even after Saazbaum broke from tradition and ordered some sets for his troopers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wonder if the OP will be updated with Slaine's new coat.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I the only one who got some serious C&C/Frank Klepacki vibes from the music during the preparation/beginning of the battle?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just got past 11 or 12,whichever one has the INSANE GODDAMN ENDING. How do they go on from there? I'm afraid to keep watching. Also slaine is loving weird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They go into space.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Alright, Aldnoah, that was actually pretty goddamn clever.

I actually really loved the whole bit with him and his butler after the appointment of him as Saazbaum's heir. "NO SHUT UP I HAVE NO DREAMS"

It's a shame it means No more Saazbaum. Rest in pieces you Crusader Kings-playing son of a bitch.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Am I too late for the after party celebrating Slaine's first successful homicide?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Slaine killed bowlcut earlier. And a bunch of random EDF mooks, but that's not really homicide.

He really likes to kill people on the sly.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Man, I was just thinking that Saazbaum was the only reason I still felt compelled to watch the show to see what exactly they were going for. It turns out they had no plan for him and the only thing that matters is this uncompelling rivalry between two ridiculously inconsistent characters.

I mean seriously the writing for this show is just baffling.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well they killed sleazebaum. My favorite character outside of Lt Mohito. Why you doing this show? Wasnt I good? Didnt i watch you every week like a good audience member? The rest of this better make up for it.

God damnit.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

RIP best character with the most complex motives

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My only hope is that Slaine inherits those complex motivations as well.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can't wait until Slaine's new dad shows up again in 3 episodes, perfectly fine/with some robot bits

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Inaho was already kind of boring before he had a deus ex machina implanted in his face.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Saazbaum seemed pretty pleased with the outcome, I think. It's what he wanted from a son.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kanos posted:

I won't accept it unless he continues to wear it loosely over his shoulders like a gang-boss as per the last scene

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whatever happened to Inaho's sister and lieutenant PTSD anyway?

Oh and that doctor guy! He was a character too!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Whatever happened to Inaho's sister and lieutenant PTSD anyway?

Oh and that doctor guy! He was a character too!

They're all in the OP, but haven't appeared proper yet.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I spent the rest of the episode in anticipation once Slaine let those shots off into the middle of nowhere. I had a vague theory and it was fun to see it be mostly true.
I'm not sure I've enjoyed any other episode of Aldnoah this much. I was kinda bored with this season so far but if they can keep this up it's going to be a good time.
It's kinda nice having a protagonist and antagonist who are both totally on top of things, instead of it being an uneven power balance.

EDIT: Looks like Shimura posted a sketch of the Troyards and Saazbaum/Orlaine having tea. Adorable.
http://a0ikit0iki.tumblr.com/post/109109224772/if-3

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 25, 2015

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah. Slaine actually preparing to fight against an OP character because even his super robot can't do much against Inaho was nice to see. The moment Saazbaum wanted to fight Inaho by himself because of revenge for their past encounter, I knew he was done for. He just had to become like the other Knights, believing they can take care of a problem alone.

I really like that the backpack attachment to the earth robots is used for pivoting around space. I can't imagine it being too useful in an area full of debris unless you're aware of all the debris and know where you'll end up or you'll faceplant into a huge rock. I guess that does mean Inaho is the only one able to use it effectively and why the grunts aren't seen using it so far.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

BurningDance posted:

Yeah. Slaine actually preparing to fight against an OP character because even his super robot can't do much against Inaho was nice to see. The moment Saazbaum wanted to fight Inaho by himself because of revenge for their past encounter, I knew he was done for. He just had to become like the other Knights, believing they can take care of a problem alone.

I really like that the backpack attachment to the earth robots is used for pivoting around space. I can't imagine it being too useful in an area full of debris unless you're aware of all the debris and know where you'll end up or you'll faceplant into a huge rock. I guess that does mean Inaho is the only one able to use it effectively and why the grunts aren't seen using it so far.
I feel like we'll see pilots using those later. Pretty much everyone seemed to be deployed behind those laser umbrellas. Inaho's the only one we really saw showboating around since that seems to be his MO at this point. I won't be surprised if he has them mount a chainsaw and some mirrors on his mech in a future episode for some sort of absurd combat scheme.

(The debris wasn't really a problem other than throwing off aim, they said as much)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm one of those giant needs who likes to explore his reactions to fiction, and I'm trying to figure out why I can enjoy this show in a (mostly) unironic manner when I can't do the same for, say, Guilty Crown. Thoughts so far - it owns its silliness better, keeps a tighter rein on its tone, and is far, far shorter on weird, gross bullshit. Any other suggestions?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm one of those giant needs who likes to explore his reactions to fiction, and I'm trying to figure out why I can enjoy this show in a (mostly) unironic manner when I can't do the same for, say, Guilty Crown. Thoughts so far - it owns its silliness better, keeps a tighter rein on its tone, and is far, far shorter on weird, gross bullshit. Any other suggestions?

Guilty Crown was objectively bad hth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Guilty Crown was objectively bad hth

I absolutely get that, I'm just figuring out what makes it bad that A/Z doesn't have, allowing me to genuinely enjoy the latter. I know there's a difference, I'm just trying to pin down what it is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Anyways, for you chess nerds, it's puzzle time!

(Board 1, white to play) Here's my best estimate to the position of the board as the episode begins:

(Board 2, white to play) After the Queen and King move:

(Board 3, white to play) After the Rooks move:

(Board 4, black to play) And after the ridiculous Queen sac, where they first show the board and have the 70%-30% dialogue:

(Board 5, black to play) Finally, the position after Inaho's coy "leave it to your imagination":

Puzzle 1: Confirm that Board 5 is checkmate. Notably, how does white win if black goes Rxd3 or f5 or even Nc3.

Puzzle 2: Do any of the earlier boards offer a better opportunity for checkmate/material imbalance?

Spoiler answers which lead to a thematic observation for the show: Puzzle 1, yea it's checkmate. For puzzle 2, Board 2. Bishop takes knight on e7 is a straightforward move and there's little to stop the Queen from crashing in on f6 leading to mate or eventually forking the black queen. In any case, assuming this puzzle was chosen specifically for the show, I find it hilarious that they are saying Inaho's style is to sacrifice the queen to flush the king out into the open :lol:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I absolutely get that, I'm just figuring out what makes it bad that A/Z doesn't have, allowing me to genuinely enjoy the latter. I know there's a difference, I'm just trying to pin down what it is.

If it makes you feel better, with the current OP and direction the show is heading it absolutely could become a Guilty Crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Anyways, for you chess nerds, it's puzzle time!

(Board 1, white to play) Here's my best estimate to the position of the board as the episode begins:

(Board 2, white to play) After the Queen and King move:

(Board 3, white to play) After the Rooks move:

(Board 4, black to play) And after the ridiculous Queen sac, where they first show the board and have the 70%-30% dialogue:

(Board 5, black to play) Finally, the position after Inaho's coy "leave it to your imagination":

Puzzle 1: Confirm that Board 5 is checkmate. Notably, how does white win if black goes Rxd3 or f5 or even Nc3.

Puzzle 2: Do any of the earlier boards offer a better opportunity for checkmate/material imbalance?

Spoiler answers which lead to a thematic observation for the show: Puzzle 1, yea it's checkmate. For puzzle 2, Board 2. Bishop takes knight on e7 is a straightforward move and there's little to stop the Queen from crashing in on f6 leading to mate or eventually forking the black queen. In any case, assuming this puzzle was chosen specifically for the show, I find it hilarious that they are saying Inaho's style is to sacrifice the queen to flush the king out into the open :lol:

it's taken from an actual (semi well-known?) game:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1104948

• Locked thread