Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

on the other hand there's not actually any good games FOR the dreamcast but at least theyll look nice!

Mods ban this sick filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

on the other hand there's not actually any good games FOR the dreamcast but at least theyll look nice!

The fact that you can sit there and (presumably) play Shenmue and then say this all in the same thread says there's something wrong with you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sailors successfully found

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I keep waiting for the punchline, but it never comes.

Because this has to be a joke, you see.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i need another vmu so i can save in both seventh cross AND shenmue at the same time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao if you don't have at least 5 vmu's on your person at any given time

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

You sure you bought a Dreamcast and not, NOT a Dreamcast?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

when you turn on seventh cross it tells you it needs 174 blocks free to save

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Retrogoons, I may need your help here.

I have a Sega Master System that is very sick. My girlfriend got it from her parents' basement. It had been sitting on a window sill for years, being exposed to direct sunlight and condensation. There's rust/corrosion all over the place on top. The bottom of the board still looks pretty good.

- Before cleaning
- After a quick clean with alcohol

I'm using a known good power brick which wasn't exposed to these conditions. The system powers on and shows a black screen with no sound. The SEGA logo and chime never come up, with and without cartridges. The ground plane has continuity on all the edges, despite all the corrosion. The voltage regulator is generating a steady 5.03V. I assume the ICs are air/water tight, so they should be okay, right?

I'm not sure where to look next. Has anyone else fixed this kind of damage?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

azurite posted:

I have a Sega Master System that is very sick. My girlfriend got it from her parents' basement. It had been sitting on a window sill for years, being exposed to direct sunlight and condensation. There's rust/corrosion all over the place on top. The bottom of the board still looks pretty good.

- Before cleaning

I'm using a known good power brick which wasn't exposed to these conditions. The system powers on and shows a black screen with no sound. The SEGA logo and chime never come up, with and without cartridges. The ground plane has continuity on all the edges, despite all the corrosion. The voltage regulator is generating a steady 5.03V. I assume the ICs are air/water tight, so they should be okay, right?

You might want to crosspost this here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676512

e: holy jesus I just zoomed in on those pics :stare:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

d0s posted:

You might want to crosspost this here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676512

e: holy jesus I just zoomed in on those pics :stare:

Good suggestion. I went ahead and did so.

:stare: was pretty much my reaction too.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

azurite posted:

- Before cleaning

The amount of rust and corrosion going on around the A/V connectors would lead me to think those should be desoldered, thoroughly cleaned and deoxit-ed and reattached. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but that would appear to be the most damaged area by far, and also the most likely cause of garbage output.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure that is even fixable but the next thing I would do is find a copy of the schematic and use the multimeter in continuity mode to check that adjacent pins on the ics aren't shorted together and that all points that are supposed to be connected are connected. If you have the tools you should probably desolder the ICs and clean under them too.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

azurite posted:

- Before cleaning

This is really easy to fix, just get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Master-System-Black-Console-and-Gangster-Town-/181649212787?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2a4b230573

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Seventh Cross Evolution is weird. That's about all you can say about it imho

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Noooooo. People need to be encouraged to keep fixing all of this stuff or some day all of it will be dead. :arghfist::(

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Somebody please save these mass produced things!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i need another vmu so i can save in both seventh cross AND shenmue at the same time

What about Shenmue 2? :pwn:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quiet Feet posted:

Noooooo. People need to be encouraged to keep fixing all of this stuff or some day all of it will be dead. :arghfist::(

Also, since it's her childhood console, it sort of has sentimental value.

So... I just jerry-rigged a Model 1 Genesis -> Model 2 DIN-type adapter to a Model 2 Genny AV cable to bypass any issues with the RF modulator. It sporadically works if I rapidly power-cycle the console. I get mostly nothing, and sometimes the SEGA logo and no-cartridge warning. Even less often, I get corrupt graphics. Things are looking a bit better than before!

Per the SMS service manual, this could happen for a variety of reasons, but one of the first things to check is the 10MHz crystal. I can't test it, unfortunately (no oscilloscope). They say if it's not working, C131 could be bad (next to XTAL). My cap looks a little crusty on the top compared to the rest of the caps, so I'll try a cap kit.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

hitze posted:

Well, there are a hell of a lot fewer Master Systems floating around out there than NESs.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

This came today. In case you can't read the tiny text at the bottom it's Taito Double Dragon.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hitze posted:

You've brought back a few MVS systems from near death yourself but you don't get why other people would do the same thing with systems they own instead of buying new ones? :iiam:

That said there are like 2 good master system games and that poo poo belongs in the trash, imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What about Shenmue 2? :pwn:

Shenmue and shenmue 2 can both save at once, its 7th cross that fills an entire vmu by itself

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm pretty sure you can still get brand new in box VMUs for like $5

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Master System really deserved a better library than it got. Thanks for nothing, Yamauchi.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
There are some decent SMS games. The console itself is sweet as hell though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

d0s posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still get brand new in box VMUs for like $5

yeah i know its just ridiculous, like the gently caress were they thinking with 100kb for saves

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
VMUs ruled and I've had them go through the laundry and keep their saves. The official 4X save thingie is also nice. I'd like to mod a couple with blue and white LEDs for European and Japanese saves someday maybe.

I am sad the xbox/360 never did a VMU successor.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I know a PS2 is hardly retro, but I have one that's been around for over a decade, now (oldschool phat) and has never had component cables hooked up to it. The other day, I finally got around to buying some, and when I hooked them up one of the lines out wasn't sending any signal (so some of the colors were missing). It's not the cable, I've since tried a couple with no luck. Am I hosed?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I know a PS2 is hardly retro, but I have one that's been around for over a decade, now (oldschool phat) and has never had component cables hooked up to it. The other day, I finally got around to buying some, and when I hooked them up one of the lines out wasn't sending any signal (so some of the colors were missing). It's not the cable, I've since tried a couple with no luck. Am I hosed?

Go back to composite cables and head to system settings and make sure the video settings are correct to send out Yb/Pb/Pr.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Go back to composite cables and head to system settings and make sure the video settings are correct to send out Yb/Pb/Pr.

they are. it should be working, but the ps2 is very clearly not sending a signal down one of the three video component cables but i don't know why

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I had the same problem with an S-Video cable for N64 the other day that I know for a fact worked fine the last time I used it. Tried another one I had and it worked fine. Well, except for the slightly noticeable checkerboarding, which is the reason I bought the other one in the first place.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

Whenever there's dialog box animation (opening/closing, or drawing new letters), the entire screen shakes and the audio cuts out. This is on one of KRIKzz's early SD2SNES boards, so maybe it's not an issue on others? Or maybe it's an issue with firmware 0.1.7 preview 3. I dunno. I just tried this with an untouched ROM and the same thing happens. It must be the firmware version. Reverting to 1.6 made it less bad, but it's still very much an issue.

Arg. I just dug out my original cart and it's doing the same thing. Now I need to figure out whether it's the XRGB, the cable, the system, or what.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kreeblah posted:

Arg. I just dug out my original cart and it's doing the same thing. Now I need to figure out whether it's the XRGB, the cable, the system, or what.

What game, what version of the SNES and what SCART cable do you have?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

That said there are like 2 good master system games and that poo poo belongs in the trash, imo

there are more good master system games than saturn or dreamcast games, so

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's an odd bit of news that probably won't be interesting to anyone:

Years ago, a famous old-school Japanese PC dev named Toru Matsushima released a doujin PC game called Beluga that was made in the style of a PC-6001 game; it didn't get much press over here but it was decently popular in the JP doujin scene and even received a legitimate PC-6001 conversion at some point. It's nothing mindblowing but neat all the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82mi9nB3424

Anyway, it was recently announced that a "16-bit" remake of Beluga is coming to Vita, courtesy of M2: http://mtwo.co.jp/beluga/
What's odd is that the game is being distributed via a Yakuza companion app, of all things. The new Yakuza game is set in the '80s, so it makes sense from that angle, but the other odd connection is that T.Matsushima was responsible for the emulated arcade games in Shenmue, so I guess it's all just meant to be one big Shenmue reference? I dunno, I guess what I'm getting at is M2 does cool weird crap that noone cares about and I hope they never stop.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

they are. it should be working, but the ps2 is very clearly not sending a signal down one of the three video component cables but i don't know why

This might seem like a stupid question, but:

1. Does this cable have audio out plugs?
2. If so, are you sure you have the red video plugged in, rather than the red audio cable?

It happened to me once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What game, what version of the SNES and what SCART cable do you have?

Chrono Trigger on a 1CHIP-03 SFC. On the off chance that it's my cable (because I don't actually remember what the details are on it), I just ordered a new CSYNC one from Retro Access and if that doesn't work, I'll have to dig out my other SFCs and SNESs and try them. I also just tried upgrading my XRGB to 1.11 with no meaningful changes, so whatever's going on, it's probably not that.

• Locked thread