Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Admittedly, most of my use of mcmaster is more for machine hardware and less for wood hardware. I just hop on there, say I need flanged bushings in bronze with whatever dimensions or abnormally long black oxide socket head screws and boop, there it all is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
A good tip if you are using brass screws is to first drive a steel screw, back it out, then put in the brass screw.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm actually reall loving McMasters endless search options and ability to drill down to specifically what you want.

I loving hate going to most online hardware stores, and you search for something like wood screws, and there are no options to refine the search. Here's a random list of 800 items, HAVE FUN!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it's the bee's knees. My only complaint with the browsing system is that it sometimes doesn't work well with my browsers back button. But the fact that doing a search and drilling down to a product set directly aren't actually any different, so all of the same filtering controls are available the entire way is pretty great.

They also have pretty great customer service, too.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Shipping is incredibly fast too, although that may depend on proximity to their warehouses. I usually get my orders the next day with ground shipping.

At my last job, I ordered a $2000 chiller at 5pm and it came freight the next day. The truck was there by 10am. That happened routinely there.

Their customer service, as stated, is great. We needed some custom tubing for a project at that job and they didn't stock it. They tracked it down and resold it to us. We probably paid a premium but it was completely worth it as we had struck out trying to get it anywhere else.

Grainger can usually deliver next day but their website is terrible compared to McMaster Carr. They own McFeelys too now. I was never a big McFeelys customer but over at Sawmill Creek there were reports of a dive in customer service after the acquisition.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LordOfThePants posted:

Shipping is incredibly fast too, although that may depend on proximity to their warehouses. I usually get my orders the next day with ground shipping.

Yeah, I live less than 2 hours away from McMaster HQ, kicks rear end. Could be better if I were actually in Cleveland, though, but then I'd just do will call and get it myself. ;)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, Grainger certainly does better than the big guys, but their search options are only a half measure. Completely random categories to choose from, where they basically took the manufacturers random way of naming things and slapped that in as an option. And even when you drill down to what you want, you still end up with a list of 300 items to sift through.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A relative gave me a 12" variable speed bandsaw, an Alltrade MB8 1996-B3. This machine was manufactured in 1984 (discontinued in 1986) and is proving quite difficult to find information for.

I am 99% sure this thing is scrap metal, I plugged it in, pulled the on switch and it ran at what sounded like 10,000RPM for a couple seconds before I shut it off. Since then, I have fondeled the switch as much as possible but it won't turn on again.

The blade is broken, there is a sticker on top that says it needs a 59 1/4" blade, Google suggests that this machine can take blades ranging from 59" to 59 1/2", is this a safe assumption? I don't know how to judge the condition of the drive belt, and I doubt it is routed right. The belt is about 1cm wide and about as thick as a playing card. The belt is flexible and does not appear to be cracked, although one edge is a little frayed. When spinning the pulleys by hand, the rear pulley spins fine, the drive pulley spun fine with the belt off, the top pulley also spun freely but sounded like it was rubbing on something. I also suspect the blade guides were fiddeled with as they appear to have a gap about 2-3mm which is significantly larger than the thickness of the broken blade that it came with. Assuming I can make this turn on again, I could pick up a blade for about $10 and run it until it dies (be that 2 seconds or 2 years).

Otherwise, I could get the same $129 bandsaw from Home Depot/Ryobi, Menards/Performax, Sears/Craftsman (or pay $20 extra for a Powertec sticker), or Harbor Freight/Central Machinery lol no. I like Ryobi blue the best. . . There is also a Skil model for $129 at Lowes or Home Depot, it does not appear to be just another clone. Considering the options, I think my best option is to just build poo poo for a while until I really need a bandsaw, and then pickup the Ryboi blue version since it is the least ugly.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Ryobi just switched the bandsaw to green FYI.

RE: snowblowers (from a few pages back):

Being in MA I just gave my new 18" 13.5 amp single stage electric a workout. Honestly it was great. Granted the snow was super light but it was a full 20" deep. At $150 it's way less than any gas and it's tiny and like 30lbs. I could just pick it up and carry it wherever I wanted it. Very please so far.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Ryobi just switched the bandsaw to green FYI.

<snip>At $150 it's way less than any gas and it's tiny and like 30lbs. I could just pick it up and carry it wherever I wanted it. Very please so far.

At least green will match my Ryobi miter saw, but I really liked that deep blue. :(

As for electric yard tools, when it came time for me to get a weed whacker string trimmer I went with electric because it was cheaper, lighter and more quiet than gas, but the most important criteria was my memory of how much of a pain in the rear end it was to start my old two-stroke weed eater. I went cordless because my neighbor with an electric trimmer showed me the battle scars on his extension cord.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah same. I got the black and decker 20v max trimmer/edger and it works like a charm. I wouldn't want to go clearing brush with it, but it will run for a long time on a charge, it's light and easy. I edge the driveway every time I mow now because it's so convenient. Also got the 20v hedge trimmer and its a dream as well. And no more cutting extension cords in half. :haw:

For a leaf blower/vac I went corded though. The cordless doesn't have the oomf and we have three enormous maples. :sigh:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about getting a pressure washer. I have a fairly large concrete driveway and some walkways that generate a lot of moss due to their being located in Oregon. What are the desirable and undesirable things I should watch for when choosing something? If I'm only going to use it a few times a year, would I be better off just renting one for the day at Home Depot?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

I'm thinking about getting a pressure washer. I have a fairly large concrete driveway and some walkways that generate a lot of moss due to their being located in Oregon. What are the desirable and undesirable things I should watch for when choosing something? If I'm only going to use it a few times a year, would I be better off just renting one for the day at Home Depot?

Don't get an electric, they are all poo poo. Something with a Honda motor, and a pump that you can source spare parts is pretty important. Check out Northern Tool.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Whatever you do get a "surface cleaner" for it. I have this one from Karcher and its the tits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5HFwPNcAo

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Don't get an electric, they are all poo poo. Something with a Honda motor, and a pump that you can source spare parts is pretty important. Check out Northern Tool.

I was afraid someone was going to say that. I strolled briefly through the aisle last time I was at the store and noticed the price jump between the electric and gas powered ones. We don't have any Northern Tools on the west coast, unfortunately. Do other manufacturers use Honda motors in their pressure washers, or are you just saying "get a Honda"?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

If you can get one with a Honda GX engine (not even sure if they come with them these days) they are much better engines. Cast iron cylinder rather than aluminum.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Mildly interesting story about pressure washers. I was talking to a lady once runs a booth at a local swap meet type place. Apparently they hunt around for used and/or clearance electric pressure washers. They buy them at auctions or clearance/bankruptcy sales or whatever. Then they make sure they work, mark them up a bit and contractors will come to their booth and buy as many of them as they have. Apparently consumer grade electric washers are considered disposable items by contractors who will just run them til they break down then pick up more at places like that. I guess it works out cheaper for them in the long run than investing in gas ones for some reason. Maybe they don't trust their employees with good equipment or something.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

sharkytm posted:

I have an electric and am reasonably satisfied, but I only use it to wash off wooden boardwalks and the kids clubhouse and stuff. It would probably suck if I tried to get gum off a sidewalk or whatever with it, so I don't do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Do other manufacturers use Honda motors in their pressure washers, or are you just saying "get a Honda"?

Yes, most pressure washer manufacturers (if any) buy their motors from someone else.

The DeWalt I've been borrowing from a friend (because even the "nice" Karcher electric one I have sucks because electric) has a Honda on it. I'm probably going to end up buying one myself.

It's this one: http://www.maxtool.com/dewalt-3400-...CFSIV7AodzHoAmA

(first result on the model - I know nothing about maxtool)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've got a 1900 psi electric and am happy with it, especially since I use it maybe twice a year. It was much cheaper, and no need to worry about maintaining another gas engine. I'm sure a gas would be quicker, but when we're talking 2 or 3 hours of use a year, it's no big deal.

Mainly use it to wash the siding of the house, strips the green guck we get on one wall right off. Used it once to prep a wooden deck for sealing. It took years of grime right off. Stripped all the loose paint off of my porch as well.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Yes, most pressure washer manufacturers (if any) buy their motors from someone else.

The DeWalt I've been borrowing from a friend (because even the "nice" Karcher electric one I have sucks because electric) has a Honda on it. I'm probably going to end up buying one myself.

It's this one: http://www.maxtool.com/dewalt-3400-...CFSIV7AodzHoAmA

(first result on the model - I know nothing about maxtool)

Glad to see the GX is still in use. :)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sharkytm posted:

The commercial grade electrics are pretty nice. 3HP 3 phase motor, VFD, and about the same CFM/PSI as the bigger gas washers, only without the whole 'need to maintain a gas engine' and 'requires hearing protection' aspects. lovely thing is you need to be near a 3 phase plug to run it, but that's what 50 ft of extension cord are for.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

sharkytm posted:

in my experience, the pump always goes before the motor, and that goes for gas and electric.

I picked up a brand new Generac 2500 PSI gas washer off CL for $100. I'm pretty sure it was stolen but a deal is a deal. Performance wise it is much better than the electric 1700 PSI I had been using. My only beef with the Generac is that it's loving loud.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The commercial grade electrics are pretty nice. 3HP 3 phase motor, VFD, and about the same CFM/PSI as the bigger gas washers, only without the whole 'need to maintain a gas engine' and 'requires hearing protection' aspects. lovely thing is you need to be near a 3 phase plug to run it, but that's what 50 ft of extension cord are for.

Am am most definitely more than 50 feet from 3 phase service. As are most people in the US in a residential area.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We had a gigantic 3-phase with-supplemental-diesel-heater pressure washer at work. Every six weeks or so I'd have to get it repaired because it's a complicated beast, we finally convinced management in October to ditch it and buy a £200 single phase karcher. It's much easier to use, hasn't broken once and when it does I could buy 5 more for the average repair bill of the biggie.

So yes, single phase electric pressure washers should be treated as disposable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

In the on-going saga of my harbor freight sliding compound miter saw that nobody else but me cares about, I finally put the Dewalt Fine Finish 12" blade on it and holy poo poo it's like a brand new machine. Cuts even and square, and the edges are smooth like I polished it. Holy crap now I want a fine finish blade for my table saw although the one that came with it is decent enough.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009
If you're looking for a pressure washer get a Mi-Ti-M There is a reason they are the unit you would get if you rented one from a rental company. They need hardly any maintenance usually a pump rebuild for about $75 in parts. and if you keep good gas in them the honda engines will just work. Karchers/shark are also very good. the main thing is look for a General Pump on your pressure washer. they are rebuild able and actually put out the pressure they say if you provide a good enough flow of water.
whatever you do DO NOT get a Lowes/ Homedepot special troybilt/ MTD garbage. pumps are trash and dont rebuild nearly as well as the General Pumps of the higher end units.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Anyone have one of these?

Been watching a lot of PBS and noticed that Norm and a few other woodworking guys use the Festool drivers. Is there a reason or is it just a JO move because they have the budget for it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ajcz posted:

If you're looking for a pressure washer get a Mi-Ti-M There is a reason they are the unit you would get if you rented one from a rental company. They need hardly any maintenance usually a pump rebuild for about $75 in parts. and if you keep good gas in them the honda engines will just work. Karchers/shark are also very good. the main thing is look for a General Pump on your pressure washer. they are rebuild able and actually put out the pressure they say if you provide a good enough flow of water.
whatever you do DO NOT get a Lowes/ Homedepot special troybilt/ MTD garbage. pumps are trash and dont rebuild nearly as well as the General Pumps of the higher end units.

Thanks to all on the pressure washer advice. When you refer to a General pump, is that the pump manufacturer?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sointenly posted:

Anyone have one of these?

Been watching a lot of PBS and noticed that Norm and a few other woodworking guys use the Festool drivers. Is there a reason or is it just a JO move because they have the budget for it?

Festool just wants to get their name in your head by putting the cheapest ($300) power tool they make on TV.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Crotch Fruit posted:

Festool just wants to get their name in your head by putting the cheapest ($300) power tool they make on TV.

"First one's Free* maaaaannnnn"

*Compared to the cost of the rest of your Festool habit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

In the on-going saga of my harbor freight sliding compound miter saw that nobody else but me cares about, I finally put the Dewalt Fine Finish 12" blade on it and holy poo poo it's like a brand new machine. Cuts even and square, and the edges are smooth like I polished it. Holy crap now I want a fine finish blade for my table saw although the one that came with it is decent enough.

Careful, you'll end up with $500 into blades before you know it! Haha. Let's see, I have (3) Table Saw blades from 24-80T (Rip/Crosscut/Plywood), 2 Miter saw (40+100T), (1) Freud 8" Super Dado, (1) 12" Freud 80T Neg Hook for my Radial, and yep. That's at least $500 in blades, ranging from Forester, Freud, Irwin Marples, Dewalt.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

the spyder posted:

Careful, you'll end up with $500 into blades before you know it! Haha. Let's see, I have (3) Table Saw blades from 24-80T (Rip/Crosscut/Plywood), 2 Miter saw (40+100T), (1) Freud 8" Super Dado, (1) 12" Freud 80T Neg Hook for my Radial, and yep. That's at least $500 in blades, ranging from Forester, Freud, Irwin Marples, Dewalt.

Ooooh I need recommendations on a 10" dado for the table saw.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
8" is all you really need and honestly, a 6" would serve 95% of my needs. I had a Oshlun and gave it to my dad. He really likes it. I only have the Freud because a guy was retiring and sold it for 1/2 of new after only using it once. It's amazing. Combined with my radial arm saw, it's the most dangerous tool in my shop.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Thanks to all on the pressure washer advice. When you refer to a General pump, is that the pump manufacturer?

General Pump makes pressure washer pumps.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ajcz posted:

General Pump makes pressure washer pumps.

If you've been out of the pump scene for a while you may know them as Colonel Pump.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neither of which you should confuse with Private Pumps. Just...trust me on this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of tool addiction, I started my M12 habit tonight with a screwdriver that was an open box special at my local home depot for 25% off.

Yep, the red tool pile is going to get larger.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of tool addiction, I started my M12 habit tonight with a screwdriver that was an open box special at my local home depot for 25% off.

Yep, the red tool pile is going to get larger.

Easy to feed it too, now that Home Depot is on board. I don't know if it's the same at Home Depot US, but in Canada they seem to have made Milwaukee their "primary" tool vendor, and there are red tools and accessories all over the stores now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's definitely a bigger presence than when I got my M18 tools a few years ago. I'd say Ryobi still has more space total, probably because they make more yard work tools that work in that system, but there is still a lot of Milwaukee.