Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Also, heads up to anyone in Austin, the Barnes and Noble had a ton of kits in stock. HG, MG, RG, plus these weird tiny rubbery kits in little boxes.

Holy poo poo really? Don't suppose you're talking about the one at the Arboretum? I've got a gift card burning a hole in my pocket....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It's the one in the same center as the Michael's, on Brodie Lane. Pretty good selection. They close in an hour.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

It's the one in the same center as the Michael's, on Brodie Lane. Pretty good selection. They close in an hour.

Ah. Too far away from me. I'll have to check out the one up north though. They might have finally started carrying them, too. Thanks for the heads up!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Suzaku posted:

Ah. Too far away from me. I'll have to check out the one up north though. They might have finally started carrying them, too. Thanks for the heads up!

I've seen small Gundam sections in every Barnes and Noble I've been to lately, maybe 3 different ones. I picked up the RG Strike Freedom from there.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I've seen small Gundam sections in every Barnes and Noble I've been to lately, maybe 3 different ones. I picked up the RG Strike Freedom from there.

They've been carrying Gunpla for a while, mostly online. I know they started a slow rollout to brick and mortar stores, and I've been checking the one by me irregularly without any luck. But it sounds like it's a pretty wide distribution now, which means mine might actually carry it. It has a pretty large toys and games section.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey guys NZ is on sale, if that's your kind of thing.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You guys in Austin need to go to the HobbyTown USA's. THAT'S where the Gunpla is at. The one on MOPAC next to the Fry's always has a great selection. There's also a place out on 183 called Wonko's Toys and Games. They'll sell Gunpla and sometimes other plamo kits, though at a decent markup. They're nice folks, though, and I always stop in while I'm in town.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

You guys in Austin need to go to the HobbyTown USA's. THAT'S where the Gunpla is at. The one on MOPAC next to the Fry's always has a great selection. There's also a place out on 183 called Wonko's Toys and Games. They'll sell Gunpla and sometimes other plamo kits, though at a decent markup. They're nice folks, though, and I always stop in while I'm in town.

I don't like paying 1.5x to 2x list on my kits, so I'll pass on Hobbytown. Their Gunpla pricing is atrocious. Last time I talked to them, they order from HLJ as customers, then price their kits to cover purchase price + shipping + markup. It's usually cheaper to buy from HLJ yourself, even after factoring in shipping. I tried to get them to talk to Bluefin, but either they haven't, or they have and still aren't adjusting their pricing. They do have a PG Strike Freedom on display, though, which is snazzy. And their tools are reasonable.

If King's Hobby on Lamar is still around, they also have the occasional Gundam kit. Pricing is pretty random though. At one point they had the old-rear end Getter 1, 2, and 3 kits, but they wanted like $35 apiece so I declined. They were a great source of supplies, though. I haven't been down that way in ages.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Suzaku posted:

I don't like paying 1.5x to 2x list on my kits, so I'll pass on Hobbytown. Their Gunpla pricing is atrocious. Last time I talked to them, they order from HLJ as customers, then price their kits to cover purchase price + shipping + markup. It's usually cheaper to buy from HLJ yourself, even after factoring in shipping. I tried to get them to talk to Bluefin, but either they haven't, or they have and still aren't adjusting their pricing. They do have a PG Strike Freedom on display, though, which is snazzy. And their tools are reasonable.

If King's Hobby on Lamar is still around, they also have the occasional Gundam kit. Pricing is pretty random though. At one point they had the old-rear end Getter 1, 2, and 3 kits, but they wanted like $35 apiece so I declined. They were a great source of supplies, though. I haven't been down that way in ages.

When I went to Kings a few months ago they didn't have anything robot related.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 1, 2015

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You're always going to find the best deal for kits online. That HobbyTown in Austin I go to just usually has a really nice selection of kits for relatively decent prices. Also, pretty sure they run through Bluefin considering the last kit I bought from them has a Bluefin sticker.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Quote is not edit.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

You're always going to find the best deal for kits online. That HobbyTown in Austin I go to just usually has a really nice selection of kits for relatively decent prices. Also, pretty sure they run through Bluefin considering the last kit I bought from them has a Bluefin sticker.

I'll have to check them out again. Like I said, last time I was there it was cheaper to buy from HLJ and pay shipping from Japan, which is saying something. If they've dropped their prices to something more reasonable, I'd be happy to buy the hell out of kits from them. They do have a big selection.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I was shocked to find that my local B&N store had 2 shelves behind the counter of MG kits, mostly a mixture of 00 and Ver EW.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I still can't get over the photo of the woman holding the box.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Suzaku posted:

Hobbytown USA is decent on HG pricing in my opinion when you count in shipping/wait time from amazon. There's one right near my work and I stop in for supplies and what not.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

everythingWasBees posted:

When I went to Kings a few months ago they didn't have anything robot related.

unrelated but

where did you get this I must know

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

unrelated but

where did you get this I must know

G-Reco thread

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Also, heads up to anyone in Austin, the Barnes and Noble had a ton of kits in stock. HG, MG, RG, plus these weird tiny rubbery kits in little boxes.

The little boxes were probably Converge, Assault Kingdom, or Standart. They're small prepainted figures. Converge is SD, Assault Kingdom is articulated, and Standart is more detailed than AK but not articulated. Minor assembly is required but it's nothing more than tab A into slot B.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah this thing is XBOX huge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I've seen the box for one in person. That girl's probably quite short, as it's "only" about the size of a small coffee table.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
So, this arrived today:

20150131_231145

Between that and the three old-rear end 90's kits, I think I now have a gaggle of Tallgeese.

Fun note: The Tallgeese II comes with the normal MG Tallgeese manual, plus an insert of the painting and TG2 decal instructions. The TG3 has its own manual, but it lacks all of the interesting fluff text, and the only color section is the paint guide.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I have discovered true hell and it is called teaching other people how to use your equipment.

"No you don't mix lacquer thinner with water-based acrylic."

"Please don't forget to wear a glove on the hand that's holding the piece, especially since you have open wounds."

"Unclogging the airbrush does not mean scraping at the tip with your fingers."

"The goal is to use the airbrush to spray paint, not get paint all over the airbrush."

"what part of close the door do you not get i don't want paint fumes in the house"

"oh my god don't leave the paint bottles open in direct sunlight"

"wash the parts before you come here how many times do I have to say this"

:shepicide:

I know they'll get better soon but oh my god this is hair pulling. I have to spend the entire time babysitting them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BlitzBlast posted:

I have discovered true hell and it is called teaching other people how to use your equipment.

"No you don't mix lacquer thinner with water-based acrylic."

"Please don't forget to wear a glove on the hand that's holding the piece, especially since you have open wounds."

"Unclogging the airbrush does not mean scraping at the tip with your fingers."

"The goal is to use the airbrush to spray paint, not get paint all over the airbrush."

"what part of close the door do you not get i don't want paint fumes in the house"

"oh my god don't leave the paint bottles open in direct sunlight"

"wash the parts before you come here how many times do I have to say this"

:shepicide:

I know they'll get better soon but oh my god this is hair pulling. I have to spend the entire time babysitting them.

Give it some gas while letting out on the clutch. NO NO NOT THAT FAST

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I feel this image is appropriate

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ka0 posted:

I feel this image is appropriate

It isn't and never will be.

Man the Dark Matter is just a way for the Exia mold to annoy me all over again. The pec-vents still keep coming loose and don't allow you to put the shoulders in a natural position. And I forgot the elbow only went 45 degrees. Was there some point in the 00 line when double jointed elbows became the norm? It's odd, since the knees are really good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suzaku posted:

So, this arrived today:

20150131_231145

Between that and the three old-rear end 90's kits, I think I now have a gaggle of Tallgeese.

Fun note: The Tallgeese II comes with the normal MG Tallgeese manual, plus an insert of the painting and TG2 decal instructions. The TG3 has its own manual, but it lacks all of the interesting fluff text, and the only color section is the paint guide.

Where'd you order from? My TG3 has yet to arrive from Gentei and I'm starting to get really worried. :ohdear:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was there some point in the 00 line when double jointed elbows became the norm? It's odd, since the knees are really good.

Season 2? I know HG 00 had double jointed elbows at least.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
so i have an airbrush that hasn't gotten any attention in several years. When I got home, i tried to dismantle it, but the front nozzle thing that goes over the needle won't come off.

I guess there is likely some paint or something keeping it stuck, any ideas on getting it off? I'm guessing dabbing some lacquer thinner on it might do the trick. Also is there anything i should do maintenance wise other than clean, not sure if some part needs some oil or something.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Quad Cape posted:

so i have an airbrush that hasn't gotten any attention in several years. When I got home, i tried to dismantle it, but the front nozzle thing that goes over the needle won't come off.

I guess there is likely some paint or something keeping it stuck, any ideas on getting it off? I'm guessing dabbing some lacquer thinner on it might do the trick. Also is there anything i should do maintenance wise other than clean, not sure if some part needs some oil or something.

I'm assume you ran acrylic through it in the past? Put it in a pot submerged in water, and simmer it for 15 minutes or so. Then pour it out, run cool water over the afflicted thing and try to unscrew it. If that doesn't work, get a thin towel like a handkerchief/cloth napkin/dish towel use it to get a better grip.

If none of that works, take it to a jeweler and ask them pretty please to let it sit in their sonic agitator bath for cleaning rings and whatever.

If none of that works, get pliers, put something on the tip to pad it, and as gently as possible, ruin your airbrush with them, forever.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
So about to embark on painting this astray red frame and thinking about colour schemes. Was planning on using the stock colours but one thing I am really curious about is what colours people are using for the armour - I have never painted anything this large white before.

I'd probably be going for a metallic red on the frame, (probs alcad chrome + clear red) but not at all sure what the matching approach for the armour is.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Where'd you order from? My TG3 has yet to arrive from Gentei and I'm starting to get really worried. :ohdear:

I ordered from Gentei. I think I placed the order back in August or September? It took about a week to arrive from when I got the initial tracking notification.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are the LBX kits like? Judging by the instructions they seem to be somewhere between SD and HG?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This week's haul: HG Double X, HG RX-78-2, HG Aile Strike.

Now if my shipment of action bases would hurry up, it'd be great :argh:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Luminaflare posted:

What are the LBX kits like? Judging by the instructions they seem to be somewhere between SD and HG?
I haven't built a modern SD but they're pretty similar to HG kits, plus you don't actually need any tools to build them. I still use a hobby knife to shave down nubs tho

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They're a little on the sticker heavy side. Good kits and they're fun to build but fair warning.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
After two old MGs - the Rick Dom and QUEL - it is so nice to be working on a modern one (Blitz).

"Seams? What seams? That's part of a panel line, bro"

Other than the very top of the chest piece that connects into the rear dispersal fin thingy and under the chest where it goes to the waist part, there's not a seam to be had.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's Gundam Planet's reputation? They seem like the best place to get esoteric Mr. Color paints and I'd like to not have to place a half dozen Amazon orders to get supplies.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

I've had good luck with buying from Gundam Planet.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Try sealmodel.com for mr color paint. Waiting on my order of mr surfacer but I think they run a good show. They emailed me to change up my order because I ordered a lot of thinner from them and said it would have a hard time through customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd like to use chains in a design. I might use cheap jewelers chain for free-hanging stuff, but I'd like stuff that can hold a shape. What I'm imagining is like a bendable rod that gives the right appearance, does such a thing exist?