Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I just bought:

Dodger
Monstrous Regiment x 2
Thief of Time
Hogfather
Making Money
I Shall Wear Midnight
Carpe Jugulum
Thud
Night Watch
Wintersmith
The Truth
Going Postal
The 5th Elephant
Science of Discworld 2: The Globe

In hardback, good condition, for a quid each. I've offered them to folk at work, but any left by the end of the day are available to the thread at a quid each + shipping.

Edit: Going Postal taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If I've only ever read Good Omens (and enjoyed it thoroughly) and want to read a Discworld entry without having to know all the lore from the rest, what's a good single one to check out? I heard Small Gods and The Last Hero were good for that sort of stuff, is it true and if not what is?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sanford posted:

I just bought:

Dodger
Monstrous Regiment x 2
Thief of Time
Hogfather
Making Money
I Shall Wear Midnight
Carpe Jugulum
Thud
Night Watch
Wintersmith
The Truth
Going Postal
The 5th Elephant
Science of Discworld 2: The Globe

In hardback, good condition, for a quid each. I've offered them to folk at work, but any left by the end of the day are available to the thread at a quid each + shipping.

Edit: Going Postal taken

I'll buy The Truth off you for a quid.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Alvarez IV posted:

If I've only ever read Good Omens (and enjoyed it thoroughly) and want to read a Discworld entry without having to know all the lore from the rest, what's a good single one to check out? I heard Small Gods and The Last Hero were good for that sort of stuff, is it true and if not what is?

Most of them are fairly stand alone as you can say read Night Watch and the inner monologues of Sam Vimes sort of explain some of the history and background.

If you literally want a novel including characters you pretty much only see once then Small Gods is probably the best bet.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alvarez IV posted:

Small Gods, Guards Guards, Men at Arms, or maybe Witches Abroad. My personal recommendation is probably Men at Arms, because I like the Guard the best.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Going Postal makes for a good stand-alone novel. Also it has chapters to help ease you into the Pratchett Experience. Also, the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents may be "for younger readers" but it is no less excellent for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Monstrous Regiment is a good novel but it's a pretty terrible Discworld novel. It should have been a standalone, and practically is.

I've been trying to finish Unseen Academicals for over a year. It is really hard to concentrate on, almost as if the guy who wrote it was losing his mind. :smith:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I didn't really see anything wrong with Unseen Academicals except that it relied much more heavily on references to football and British culture that won't be familiar to people who don't live in the UK, and also that it wasn't Going Postal and therefore not the best.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
(I was going to say Thud! was the best once, but on rereading it it's astonishing how much less topical it seems today than it did at the time.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't recommend small gods. It's a bit diferent from other discworld books stylistically, and its my least favorite of the series.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't gotten through Snuff and Unseen Academicals, and haven't read anything else written by pterry since. Of the previous books, I've read everything 2+ times at least.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everyone complains about Unseen Academicals and Snuff, but what about the Tiffany Aching book that came out in between them? Was it better?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I thought all the Tiffany Aching books were really good.

I also really liked Small Gods. It was my intro to Discworld and it's still my favorite next to Thud.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Small Gods is great.

I'm giving Pyramids a second reading and I don't like it as much as I did back in the day.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

I didn't really see anything wrong with Unseen Academicals except that it relied much more heavily on references to football and British culture that won't be familiar to people who don't live in the UK, and also that it wasn't Going Postal and therefore not the best.

To be fair though a lot of it does refer to British culture and things. Unless you have lives in the UK and more specifically London some of the jokes you don't appreciate as much. They are still funny, and you can identify with most of the jokes if you're from anywhere which is a testament to his ability as a writer (or commonality of mankind I guess).

I mean there are some references about Ankh-Morpork I didn't get until I lived in London (stuff like place names etc).

It was quite funny that TP said in an interview he remembered someone telling him once that after reading monstrous regiment their military friend insisted TP must have served in the army, as there was no way anyone who hasn't would have been able to write the novel that well. Then you come here and people are slating it, which I don't really get.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

Small Gods is great.

I'm giving Pyramids a second reading and I don't like it as much as I did back in the day.

Everything that Pyramids does in Ankh-Morpork is an amazing Discworld story, everything in Djelibeybi is meh in my opinion.

In a way it's a shame it was written like that as I think a novel about an assassin graduating would have been fantastic. The only flashes on insight we get into the assassins is that bit in Pyramids and Vetinari in Night Watch.

I think a story about the Thieves and the Assassins together would have been good. Some sort of inter-guild power struggle that reflects the class divide between the two organisations (i.e the assassins are all privileged sons and daughters of the rich, the thieves are orphans and the poor).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kitchner posted:

Everything that Pyramids does in Ankh-Morpork is an amazing Discworld story, everything in Djelibeybi is meh.

In a way it's a shame it was written like that as I think a novel about an assassin graduating would have been fantastic. The only flashes on insight we get into the assassins is that bit in Pyramids and Vetinari in Night Watch.

I think a story about the Thieves and the Assassins together would have been good. Some sort of inter-guild power struggle that reflects the class divide between the two organisations (i.e the assassins are all privileged sons and daughters of the rich, the thieves are orphans and the poor).

That's exactly it. I remember enjoying the AM stuff a whole lot and since the action shifted to Djelibeybi I don't really care anymore.

Which is better between Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 4, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Everyone complains about Unseen Academicals and Snuff, but what about the Tiffany Aching book that came out in between them? Was it better?

Aching's alright, but it suffers somewhat in that it performs a dramatic swerve on a lot of characters - deliberately so - in the years between the previous book and this one, but he doesn't quite have oomph to portray those personality shifts in an entirely narratively satisfying and convincing way. I think it's the kind of thing that would've shone after another few revisions, but he's said he couldn't really do revisions well at that point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

That's exactly it. I remember enjoying the AM stuff a whole lot and since the action shifted to Djelibeybi I don't really care anymore.

Witches Abroad is the best Witch novel, so is always the right answer.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

MikeJF posted:

Aching's alright, but it suffers somewhat in that it performs a dramatic swerve on a lot of characters - deliberately so - in the years between the previous book and this one, but he doesn't quite have oomph to portray those personality shifts in an entirely narratively satisfying and convincing way. I think it's the kind of thing that would've shone after another few revisions, but he's said he couldn't really do revisions well at that point.

If only Agnes hadn't evaporated into a fat joke floating away in the wind (despite Lancre women breeding big? eh gently caress it)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

Witches Abroad is amazing as it provides great insight into both the individual personalities of the witches and how witch "magic" works (or doesn't work).

Lords and Ladies is good, but not nearly as good as Witches Abroad which in my opinion is one of the top 5 discworld novels.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

Lords & Ladies has a better story, IMO. Witches Abroad has more directly funny moments, but Lords & Ladies has had more re-reads, over the years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last third of Witches Abroad is brilliant but it takes a long time getting there. I think Carpe Jugulum is the best of the witches books.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Kitchner posted:

It was quite funny that TP said in an interview he remembered someone telling him once that after reading monstrous regiment their military friend insisted TP must have served in the army, as there was no way anyone who hasn't would have been able to write the novel that well. Then you come here and people are slating it, which I don't really get.

I know quite a few people who aren't really into the Watch series because they're not really into detective detectoring stories; Monstrous Regiment is a military story but it's not in the style of an On My Own In The Desert For Two Months With Only A Face Flannel And A Racing Spoon-type thing, or a Tom Clancy airport thriller, it's a relatively specific style with a smaller audience than the Watch or the Witches, so I can understand why there's plenty of people who Just Aren't Into That Sort of Thing.

(They're wrong, of course, but...)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Trin Tragula posted:

I know quite a few people who aren't really into the Watch series because they're not really into detective detectoring stories; Monstrous Regiment is a military story but it's not in the style of an On My Own In The Desert For Two Months With Only A Face Flannel And A Racing Spoon-type thing, or a Tom Clancy airport thriller, it's a relatively specific style with a smaller audience than the Watch or the Witches, so I can understand why there's plenty of people who Just Aren't Into That Sort of Thing.

(They're wrong, of course, but...)

Most of the watch novels aren't really whodunnit crime novels though. I mean if you look at them:

Guards! Guards! - The dragon is the main antagonist and Wonse is named as the person who summoned him early on.

Men-at-arms - There are two antagonists really one of which is named pretty much straight away. There's a twist which is pretty good but you could get rid of the twist and the novel will still end up the same way.

Feet of Clay - This one is actually the most whodunnit of all the novels I feel as there's a murder and they spend the entire book figuring it out.

Jingo - The exact person who committed the attempted assassination is found pretty early and then there's some mystery as to who ordered it, but really the story is about the war.

The Fifth Element - Wolfgang is introduced and labeled as the antagonist pretty much straight away

Night Watch - You're literally told Carcer stabbed a watchman to death in the first 10 pages or so and he's the antagonist of the story.

Thud! - You find out not even half way into the novel that the murder was done by a dwarf and then those same people kill others as the novel processes. So I guess this is a murder mystery for a while.

Snuff - I guess that it's a mystery who did the crime but it's also a mystery as to what the crime actually is as Vines doesn't find anything out like that until half way into the book. When he does find out pretty much who did it is revealed straight away.

So yeah I can get why they wouldn't like it, but the watch novels aren't really detective stories imo so if that's what you hope for when you read them that's why they feel let down.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Jedit posted:

Kitchner posted:

Witches Abroad is amazing as it provides great insight into both the individual personalities of the witches and how witch "magic" works (or doesn't work).

Lords and Ladies is good, but not nearly as good as Witches Abroad which in my opinion is one of the top 5 discworld novels.

So excited that Witches Abroad is next in my Discworld queue. I absolutely love Granny and Nanny, and Wyrd Sisters, so far, was the novel that made me laugh out loud more than any other Discworld, easily. That book was hilarious. So yeah, really looking forward to Witches Abroad, I think I'll read it after I finish the Malazan book I'm reading right now to decompress a bit before I start the next book in that series.

In fact the next 4 books in my Discworld reading queue are, from what I've heard in this thread and everywhere else, a solid power row of awesome Discworlds. Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords and Ladies, and Men at Arms. Really looking forward to all of them, especially after the rather meh Sourcery through Moving Pictures. Out of that streak of books I only really loved Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards!. The rest in that streak from Sourcery through Moving Pictures, while not bad per se (no Discworld I've read has been truly bad, as of yet, I don't regret reading any of them) weren't as fun as I'd hoped they'd be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's Soul Music? I don't remember anything about this one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Damo posted:

So excited that Witches Abroad is next in my Discworld queue. I absolutely love Granny and Nanny, and Wyrd Sisters, so far, was the novel that made me laugh out loud more than any other Discworld, easily. That book was hilarious. So yeah, really looking forward to Witches Abroad, I think I'll read it after I finish the Malazan book I'm reading right now to decompress a bit before I start the next book in that series.

In fact the next 4 books in my Discworld reading queue are, from what I've heard in this thread and everywhere else, a solid power row of awesome Discworlds. Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords and Ladies, and Men at Arms. Really looking forward to all of them, especially after the rather meh Sourcery through Moving Pictures. Out of that streak of books I only really loved Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards!. The rest in that streak from Sourcery through Moving Pictures, while not bad per se (no Discworld I've read has been truly bad, as of yet, I don't regret reading any of them) weren't as fun as I'd hoped they'd be.

Men At Arms is where you start meeting all the new Watch recruits, who are all amazing characters :h:

edit: Wait, I totally forgot that Men At Arms had a completely different dwarf character, and you don't meet the best Dwarf (and one of my top 5 characters) until Feet Of Clay.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 4, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

It's fun, but a lot more fun the more you know about rock music 1957-1975. If you can find the Cosgrove Hall animated series it's quite faithful and the music is decent.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Damo posted:

In fact the next 4 books in my Discworld reading queue are, from what I've heard in this thread and everywhere else, a solid power row of awesome Discworlds. Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords and Ladies, and Men at Arms.
Solid indeed. I just read Men at Arms for the third time. And I read Lords and Ladies and Small Gods nearly every year, they're two of my favourites.

Small Gods was actually my first Discworld experience, I got it from a library (remember when we had those UK goons!) when I was about 12. I think I must have liked the cover or something.

Kurtofan posted:

Born to Rune.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

tooterfish posted:

Born to Rune.

We're on a mission from Glod.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

bondetamp posted:

We're on a mission from Glod.

Imp y Clelyn (or whatever) means bud of the holly (Buddy Holly?).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Imp y Clelyn (or whatever) means bud of the holly (Buddy Holly?).

He looked elvish.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Soul Music isn't just great music puns though, there's so many pop culture references, especially about movies from the 80s and 90s like Blues Brothers, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Terminator, and tons more. It's a total romp.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I don't recommend small gods. It's a bit diferent from other discworld books stylistically, and its my least favorite of the series.

Boo this man.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
My favourite line from Soul Music was something like:

Rocky was a troll and a drummer, and had therefore rolled a 1 in the game of intellect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can blow anything.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Rand Brittain posted:

I like football and was psyched to have a book about both academia and football, but I just couldn't get past the first quarter of the book. :(

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Wait, I totally forgot that Men At Arms had a completely different dwarf character, and you don't meet the best Dwarf (and one of my top 5 characters) until Feet Of Clay.

Cheery Littlebottom! It's almost impossible for me not to root for Cheery, because she is not just a really cool Dwarf, but a really cool lady.

I feel much the same way about Monstrous Regiment--it's always a fantastic surprise to see such lived-in and painstakingly observed woman characters. This is partly at least because far too many artists of all stripes can barely be said to observe women at all, but I also consider it an example of the empathy a truly good writer must have in order to make something that resonates with others.

And that's why I like Monstrous Regiment, thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kitchner posted:

The Fifth Element - Wolfgang is introduced and labeled as the antagonist pretty much straight away

The whodunnit part of The Fifth Element is "Who stole the Scone of Stone, why did they steal it and where is it now?"

edit: Vimes even remarks that it's a Locked Room mystery, except some bugger left the door unlocked and all the windows open