Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Want some NERV sneakers, everything else is hideous.

They're cool, but not $250 worth of cool for something I'm probably going to accidentally put into dogshit at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

They're cool, but not $250 worth of cool for something I'm probably going to accidentally put into dogshit at some point.

I don't know, that sounds like the real Evangelion experience to me.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
no one is careless enough to put yohjis in dogshit

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

PenPen should be The Devil.

This is coincidentally a Post-it Anno slapped onto the first page of 1.0 + 3.0's script.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How many times has it been pointed out that Gendo is basically a James Bond supervillain?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How many times has it been pointed out that Gendo is basically a James Bond supervillain?
well

that's not Skyfall but it's close enough for me :thumbsup:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

well

Its perfect. Gendo looks way too happy to shave though...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

well

Are women required by law to be blushing in Japanese advertising?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Its perfect. Gendo looks way too happy to shave though...

The beard suppressed his positive side. Now he is free at last!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

well

Two things I never expected to see together. "I'd like to forget about Yui loving my car."

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Utritum posted:

Other notable differences is that episode 1 would have been more like the manga version, with Shinji witnessing Rei fighting the Angel in Unit-01

I always thought it was weird that the TV show and movies don't have that, it seems like a sensible thing to do, and then when I read the manga I was like "oh, so the manga did it instead". It's a cool way to introduce the Evangelions and Rei at the same time.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

They still do that, just in a more Shinji-focussed way. Perhaps it was a timing thing, too.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

House Louse posted:

They still do that, just in a more Shinji-focussed way.

Good point, but I still think it would have been neater to see Rei and the angel in battle first. Then Shinji would have been like "there are two of them!!" and Misato would have been like "no, that's one of ours..."!

It's a shame, it could have been a hit series.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Japan is intending to embed a replica of the Lance of Longinus into the moon via crowdfunding.

Anime has gone too far...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Who is "Japan", exactly?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: shinji is gross dork. :sigh:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 6, 2015

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
This is pretty drat neat CGI.

http://animatorexpo.com/evangelionanotherimpact/

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I agree that was pretty amazing looking. :stare:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have no clue what just happened.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have no clue what just happened.

Congratulations!

You now know Eva.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Well that was just fantastic. The reused sound design was a little quaint but drat that ending.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

What exactly is this? Another "reimagining" or just a short?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

DrPop posted:

What exactly is this? Another "reimagining" or just a short?

Its just a short for an animation expo.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I always thought a live-action Evangelion movie would never work, but after that video I'm all for it. Just put Guillermo del Toro as the director or something.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stalins Moustache posted:

I always thought a live-action Evangelion movie would never work, but after that video I'm all for it. Just put Guillermo del Toro as the director or something.

He tried, it got shitcanned and became Pacific Rim.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

He tried, it got shitcanned and became Pacific Rim.

That was just a rumour, Del Toro has never actually seen Evangelion, or at least hadn't until a bunch of people started comparing Pacific Rim to it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Sakurazuka posted:

That was just a rumour, Del Toro has never actually seen Evangelion, or at least hadn't until a bunch of people started comparing Pacific Rim to it.

Yeah, he had never seen Evangelion nor any of the more modern mecha shows as far as I know. He was inspired by mecha shows he used to watch as a kid like Mazinger or whatever it was called. I know this because my father grew up with the first Gundam and Mazinger on chilean TV, and when he saw Pacific Rim he just "got" that movie. He loved it.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Not that Pacific Rim resembles it in any shape or form, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Guillermo del Toro's infatuation with giant anime robots is mostly because of Patlabor.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah, he had never seen Evangelion nor any of the more modern mecha shows as far as I know. He was inspired by mecha shows he used to watch as a kid like Mazinger or whatever it was called. I know this because my father grew up with the first Gundam and Mazinger on chilean TV, and when he saw Pacific Rim he just "got" that movie. He loved it.
Did he also 'get' the moment where they realized 2/3rds through the movie that they had a big shiny button that says SWORD and that said SWORD makes instant sushi out of the monsters? Is that a thing those old shows used to do?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

To be slightly fair to Pacific Rim, the sword was strongly implied to be a new weapon with the rebuilding of Gypsy Danger, and with Riley being way more prominently in control (even though they should be synced up. :v:) and Mako's inexperience and stuff it was likely not their first thing coming to mind. :spergin:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Bisse posted:

Did he also 'get' the moment where they realized 2/3rds through the movie that they had a big shiny button that says SWORD and that said SWORD makes instant sushi out of the monsters? Is that a thing those old shows used to do?

You must really hate fun. He just thought that the movie was really entertaining and just took it for what it was.
Is there any actual new information about the 4th movie? A friend told me that it's apparently been confirmed that Mari is actually like just as old as Gendo and Shinji's mom because she was the first one to ever be in an Eva or something, but I've no idea how to check up on that if it even is true.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 9, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's lots of weird lines and also that one photograph that I forget where we see it. I think it was during the conversation between fuyutski and shinji?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's lots of weird lines and also that one photograph that I forget where we see it. I think it was during the conversation between fuyutski and shinji?

There's also scenes in the/a manga with Yui brushing an infatuated Mari's hair, and they're about the same age there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sakurazuka posted:

The screenwriter had, it's not like Del Toro is the only person working on those films.

Console Role Player posted:

Not that Pacific Rim resembles it in any shape or form, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Guillermo del Toro's infatuation with giant anime robots is mostly because of Patlabor.
While Patlabor is great and all, it should be noted that Mazinger was pretty popular in Mexico around the time he was growing up, so if anything started him down the giant robot path it was that.

Bisse posted:

YES

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Either way I kind of just rolled my eyes and said sure sure when this dude was like "EVANGELION?!?!? NOOO CLUE! HEH-HEH."

That neckbeard says differently, buddy. :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bisse posted:

last minute sword finishing move has been a running joke in super robot stuff longer than you have been alive, pal

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You must really hate fun. He just thought that the movie was really entertaining and just took it for what it was.
I actually like the movie as well, except for the SWORD moment which had me literally groaning in the cinema. I was just wondering if the reason that happened is because its a thing those shows used to do. Apparently the answer is YES and now equipped with this knowledge I can requiescat in pace.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The SWORD moment is made up for by Mako's line before finishing the monster off being "I shall avenge my family!" Only a dog using itself as a projectile against a giant monster bear could make that moment any more 70s anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardboard Box A posted:

The screenwriter had, it's not like Del Toro is the only person working on those films.

Ignoring the fact that I was talking about rumours of Pacific Rim starting out as a live action Evangelion movie, Travis Beacham has stated that he had only seen half of Eva and that it wasn't an influence when he started working on the script for PR. Del Toro has also gone on record saying that they deliberately tried to avoid directly referencing anything other than in the broadest terms possible.