Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He actually was Spartacus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Deptfordx posted:

He actually was Sportacus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
He was both urqhart and underwood

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished His Last Command. Abnett is getting better at endings. Sure his denouement still involves a gigantic battle being wrapped up in two pages, but at least he'd already put the ending into perspective what with the 2nd Crusade Front pulling out and the big fight ultimately being a retreating action.

I am absolutely digging The Lost's themes and tone however. The concept of losing identity and agency after such a long time on the frontlines, and how the Guard as a whole are being asked to give up more and more over time is fascinating to me. I may have come down harsh on the Gereon 12 for being such assholes to everyone on their return, but they redeemed themselves after Kolea and Daur shut them up and Caffran told Larks to go gently caress himself.

I'm gonna take a break from the Ghosts books for the time being and dig into the Night Lords Omnibus. I already finished Shadow Knight, and as my first exposure to ADB's writing, I must say I'm really impressed at how he can set a scene with just a few sentences. I feel I'm going to like this one a lot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VanSandman posted:

The End Times books should be counting down.

Lol and set a limit on how many they can write? Do you not know how the Black Library works?

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Horus Heresy series will continue on after the battle at Terra to cover stuff like the rise of the Ecclesiarchy and the Second Founding. Have they said anything about that?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

boom boom boom posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Horus Heresy series will continue on after the battle at Terra to cover stuff like the rise of the Ecclesiarchy and the Second Founding. Have they said anything about that?

I believe a verbatim quite was "Cha-ching!"

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just finished His Last Command. Abnett is getting better at endings. Sure his denouement still involves a gigantic battle being wrapped up in two pages, but at least he'd already put the ending into perspective what with the 2nd Crusade Front pulling out and the big fight ultimately being a retreating action.

I am absolutely digging The Lost's themes and tone however. The concept of losing identity and agency after such a long time on the frontlines, and how the Guard as a whole are being asked to give up more and more over time is fascinating to me. I may have come down harsh on the Gereon 12 for being such assholes to everyone on their return, but they redeemed themselves after Kolea and Daur shut them up and Caffran told Larks to go gently caress himself.

I'm gonna take a break from the Ghosts books for the time being and dig into the Night Lords Omnibus. I already finished Shadow Knight, and as my first exposure to ADB's writing, I must say I'm really impressed at how he can set a scene with just a few sentences. I feel I'm going to like this one a lot.

Armour of Contempt is probably my favorite Gaunt book, because it has a view of the General Guard Ideology contrasted with other chapters. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't go to it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SavTargaryen posted:

Armour of Contempt is probably my favorite Gaunt book, because it has a view of the General Guard Ideology contrasted with other chapters. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't go to it!

I will go for it, I just don't actually own the book at the moment. Amazon hasn't shipped it yet (And yes I'm reading the paperbacks, can't stand E-Books)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're in for a treat! The Night Lords books rank among my favorite sci-fi novels, period. I never thought I'd enjoy books about such despicable characters that much.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MrNemo posted:

I believe a verbatim quite was "Cha-ching!"

Making that mass-market paperback money.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I was talking to a friend about W40k today and completely forgot that the Doc Eldar stuff was written by someone here and not actually in one of the collections. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I read them so I could recommend the book, but no. It's a drat shame.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Jehoshaphat was the 4th king of Judah. Alternatively, the valley of Jehoshaphat was where the nations of the world would gather to be judged.
Also olde-timey prospector types say "jumpin Jehoshaphat" in kids TV shows instead of cursing, because it sounds odd and "funny".

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Arquinsiel posted:

Also olde-timey prospector types say "jumpin Jehoshaphat" in kids TV shows instead of cursing, because it sounds odd and "funny".

Annnd that's where I knew I had heard the word

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I was going to bring up that most people are probably more familiar with that phrase, yeah. The grandpa in Rugrats said it a lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am thinking of picking up the bastion wars omnibus. Is it any good? also i bought the empire omnibus(warhammer) and The Death of Integrity from amazon. i heard decent things about integrity and i have read a few of the warhammer fantasy novels and wanted to try more.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Big Willy Style posted:

Annnd that's where I knew I had heard the word

Hey, old timey cartoons had a lot of deeper cultural stuff ladled into them. Also, racism. But since they used to be the features at the cinema and took so much effort to produce the creators would spoon in bigger stuff like references to ancient kings. For example, if you watched Looney Toons you got exposed to a few dozen classic arias, even if all you remember was the fat horse, bugs in a dress, and "kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

pengun101 posted:

I am thinking of picking up the bastion wars omnibus. Is it any good? also i bought the empire omnibus(warhammer) and The Death of Integrity from amazon. i heard decent things about integrity and i have read a few of the warhammer fantasy novels and wanted to try more.

I read the first book in the Bastion Wars trilogy, and it was kind of awful. "There was a big battle. x number of people were killed. x is a large number so you know it was a big battle, and important and you should care" and there's a woman who can't show up in the narrative or do anything without her skintight bodyglove getting mentioned, and also it's heavily implied that one character can read Japanese, and there's a mysterious masked figure, but she shows up in a situation where literally only one named character isn't accounted for, so the big revelation that the masked character is the only person it could've been isn't super impressive.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

maev posted:

I'm fully convinced that Frank Underwood is the Emperor

Well he is already president when we last saw him so season 3 could well be him becoming Emperor!

Just a few more days....

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Arquinsiel posted:

The main character in Asimov's Robot novels uses Jehoshaphat all the time as a curse too, and that's a thing a rogue trader writer could have been influenced by.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are rogue traders the only somewhat not crazy, muderous xenophobic assholes in the setting?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Azubah posted:

Are rogue traders the only somewhat not crazy, muderous xenophobic assholes in the setting?

Not really

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azubah posted:

For the most part - they're more willing to deal with aliens and use unsanctioned tech because of the lack of enforcement on the fringes of the Imperium. I'm sure a RogueTrader wouldn't get too far when he's known for being a murderous radical.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Azubah posted:

They are still crazy assholes, and often murderous. Just their greed overrides the normal xenophobia. They're basically space Cortez

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
So at the suggestion of this thread, I finished the eisenhorn omnibus. I had read the gaunt's ghosts series up to date (I think I missed the last book) and thoroughly enjoyed eisenhorn, but holy poo poo the ending was quick.

It felt like they ran out of time or had a page limit. I thought there would be more.

Regardless, I appreciate the suggestion. Thinking of getting into the Horus Heresy but I fear I have set the bar high with Dan's writing.

Any other suggestions?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Biaga posted:

So at the suggestion of this thread, I finished the eisenhorn omnibus. I had read the gaunt's ghosts series up to date (I think I missed the last book) and thoroughly enjoyed eisenhorn, but holy poo poo the ending was quick.

It felt like they ran out of time or had a page limit. I thought there would be more.

Regardless, I appreciate the suggestion. Thinking of getting into the Horus Heresy but I fear I have set the bar high with Dan's writing.

Any other suggestions?

Luckily, Dan Abnett and more recently Aaron Dembski-Bowden have been given a lot of the more 'important' Horus Heresy books so there's lots of good stuff to read there too. In general the quality of the HH books is pretty high compared to the rest of the Black Library stuff, although there's a couple stinkers for sure.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just wish they brought out a decent audiobook version of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. I mean if you're going to rrelease "Battle for the Abyss" as an audiobook why can't we have those?

Comedy bonus question. They seem to be determined to release the whole Heresy in audio form. I wonder if they'll actually do Nemesis?

Edit: Actually as long as i'm asking for Ponies anyway. I'll have an audiobook of Titanicus as well, and my pony is also a Unicorn.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

hopterque posted:

Luckily, Dan Abnett and more recently Aaron Dembski-Bowden have been given a lot of the more 'important' Horus Heresy books so there's lots of good stuff to read there too. In general the quality of the HH books is pretty high compared to the rest of the Black Library stuff, although there's a couple stinkers for sure.

Sounds good, I will start picking at it in time. I think first I am going to look into the Ravenor series, I am on an inquisition bender.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah Ravenor is totally worth reading.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

For the most part - they're more willing to deal with aliens and use unsanctioned tech because of the lack of enforcement on the fringes of the Imperium. I'm sure a RogueTrader wouldn't get too far when he's known for being a murderous radical.

Exactly what is a rogue trader? I thought it was just the name of a company who made the old old school warhams.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Think of them as 40k letters of marque. Dudes tootling around space trading with aliens and the like and immune from overt inquisitorial attention because the Emperor himself said this guy is chill. Rogue Trader was just the tag line on the first edition of 40k, it was always GW that made it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

Think of them as 40k letters of marque. Dudes tootling around space trading with aliens and the like and immune from overt inquisitorial attention because the Emperor himself said this guy is chill. Rogue Trader was just the tag line on the first edition of 40k, it was always GW that made it.

Part privateer, part conquistadore, part USS Enterprise, part Han Solo. There's an entire 40k tabletop RPG where you play as a rogue trader and their entourage.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you enjoy reading 40k its p easy to get into the Ham rpgs. You already have a background in setting from reading, so narrativly your fine, and the mechanics arent too obscure. I picked it up over a weekend, although I had alot of help from the guys in the gbs ham thread. Its in byob you should check it out, and the tg rpg thread has some fun lore discussions.

The byob ham crew thread is talking about startin up another fun, easy going rpg game if you wanna get in on it. I am currently in the scrunt one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679753

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You'd think that, but at a game of Dark Heresy I played in years ago a dude said "we have to minimise civilian casualties" straightfaced.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Exactly what is a rogue trader? I thought it was just the name of a company who made the old old school warhams.

Independent ship/fleet captains authorized to explore, trade with aliens, and generally do whatever the gently caress they want outside of Imperial space. Originally intended to serve as scouts for the Great Crusade, their warrants were signed either by the Emperor himself or the Primarchs, so there is nobody left in the 40k Imperium who is senior enough to cancel their authorization. The warrants are therefore insanely valuable and usually inherited from generation to generation, which is a major plot point in one of the Shira Calpurnia books about the Arbites.

E: clarity

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 25, 2015

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You'd think that, but at a game of Dark Heresy I played in years ago a dude said "we have to minimise civilian casualties" straightfaced.

Were there no commissars nearby?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, and they'd not have been able to do anything about it anyway. It'd take a long time to explain, but suffice to say nobody shoots Inquisitorial acolytes in the Inquisitorial Enclave on Scintilla without a very good reason.

Or the golden bullet, which was an interesting mechanic the GM imposed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I just finished the audio book for Battle for the Abyss and I'm disappointed. For as much as everyone shits on it, I was expecting it to be much worse. It's not good by any means, and none of the characters had any depth whatsoever, but it wasn't offensive. I'd rate Descent of Angels much worse.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think Battle for the Abyss gets a ton of poo poo not just because it was bad and stupid, but because it was the first Horus Heresy book that clearly did not contribute to the larger story at all.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the destruction of the USS Megafucker or whatever the gently caress it was predates the modern Horus Heresy books, doesn't it? Or was it something they invented for the books? I feel like I remember reading about it previously.

e:this does not make Battle for the Abyss good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think it's something they invented to make the Word Bearers doing a frontal assault on the Ultramarines fleet less stupid.