Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

The Name of THe Rose by Umberto Eco is very good

Actually yeah given your post this probably the best recommendation. Eco is right on the line between inaccessibly pomo and mass market appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If you don't want an Eco book set in Mediaeval times then Foucault's Pendulum is also excellent.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some books that are about isolation/loneliness and sadness?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Terror by Dan Simmons. It's basically 800 pages of people starving to death in the Arctic during the Franklin Expedition. Don't read the wiki page on that expedition or it will totally ruin it for you. :doh:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

martinlutherbling posted:

I'm looking for some well written suspense and/or mystery to read on the beach. I'm reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon now, which I love. I don't necessarily want something as weird and postmodern as that, but I want to avoid airport fiction.

Don Winslow's Savages, Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper, Owen Laukkanen's The Professionals, Joe Lansdale's Savage Season

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DrankSinatra posted:

What's a good book on the history of ancient Rome? I realize that's a very broad swath of history, but I'm just looking for a good starting point. It's a total blind spot in my history knowledge (Years ago, I switched high school history teachers at semester, because of schedule issues, and I completely missed learning anything about it,) but I've been playing Rome: Total War, and now I'm curious about the actual history.

Theres a ton of good ones out there. I like Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast. You were asking for a book I like The Rise of Rome by Antony Everett and Ancient Rome by Simon Baker. I Claudius is fantastic, but it's historical fiction, (very well done historical fiction well researched and well written but historical fiction nonetheless).

rumtherapy
Feb 23, 2015

intox
It would be very nice if somebody could recommend something like Frankenstein. Something with the main character being a scientist or having a focus on Science, and with some sort of great discovery preferably. Frankenstein actually motivated me to start studying more (although I suppose the message is rather the opposite), so if possible I'd like something along the lines of a scientist's' journey through life.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

I'm looking for some well written suspense and/or mystery to read on the beach. I'm reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon now, which I love. I don't necessarily want something as weird and postmodern as that, but I want to avoid airport fiction.

Have you read any Carl Hiaasen? Crime novels, colorful characters, offbeat humor, but not so much that you'd characterize it in general as weird. In particular, I like Skin Tight and Stormy Weather.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Two contemporary crime authors I really like are Fred Vargas and Tana French. It's nowhere near the level of Pynchon or eco, but they're definitely a cut above airport fiction, Vargas for her (yup) whimsy characters, French for her powerful setting descriptions, and both are thoroughly enjoyable reads.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

DrankSinatra posted:

What's a good book on the history of ancient Rome? I realize that's a very broad swath of history, but I'm just looking for a good starting point. It's a total blind spot in my history knowledge (Years ago, I switched high school history teachers at semester, because of schedule issues, and I completely missed learning anything about it,) but I've been playing Rome: Total War, and now I'm curious about the actual history.

Rubicon by Tom Holland.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rumtherapy posted:

It would be very nice if somebody could recommend something like Frankenstein. Something with the main character being a scientist or having a focus on Science, and with some sort of great discovery preferably. Frankenstein actually motivated me to start studying more (although I suppose the message is rather the opposite), so if possible I'd like something along the lines of a scientist's' journey through life.

It's not really like Frankenstein at all but you might enjoy Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman.

Otherwise you might try Lovecraft's fiction, a lot of his protagonists are scientists driven mad by the horrors they uncover.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

rumtherapy posted:

Connie Willis does pretty good scientist protagonists. Check out Doomsday Book, Passage, or Bellwether.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

rumtherapy posted:

I've been enjoying the Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

The main characters are scientists and there's a lot of discussion about physics/astrophysics/theoretical mathematics. I'm an idiot and don't understand most of it, but it's still interesting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Inherent Vice is one of my all-time favorite books.

The Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett recommendation is great, because they're fun quick reads, very well written, and you'll see a lot of tropes that Pynchon plays with in IV.

I enjoy "Unusual" detective novels, where the detective has some type of weird mystery or weird handicap. Here's a list of books that I've bought and/or read that were recommended to me.

The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay
Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story by Leonie Swann
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters
Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf
The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Crashed by Timothy Hallinan
Savage Season by Joe R. Lansdale
The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell
A Cool Breeze on the Underground by Don Winslow
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout
The Boy Detective Fails by Joe Meno
The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Carl Hiaasen is fun, but I would consider him airport fiction, and I prefer his peer Tim Dorsey for being much funnier, outrageous, more violent, and weirder.

I'm sure one of those will scratch your itch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rumtherapy posted:

Solar by McEwan, for sure.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 24, 2015

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
So I'm almost finished with the second season of Hannibal, and I've seen Silence of the Lambs. Love both of the titles a lot, and I've been thinking about whether or not to embrace the source material. Are the Hannibal books (Red Dragon, Silence of The Lambs, etc.) any good? I don't want a popcorn book - I have the movies/show for that. I say that because I get the feeling the books are made mainly to be adapted into movies, in which case I'll save lots of time by just watching the movies. If the books offer something unique that the movies don't, then I'm interested.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

modestmusashi posted:

So I'm almost finished with the second season of Hannibal, and I've seen Silence of the Lambs. Love both of the titles a lot, and I've been thinking about whether or not to embrace the source material. Are the Hannibal books (Red Dragon, Silence of The Lambs, etc.) any good? I don't want a popcorn book - I have the movies/show for that. I say that because I get the feeling the books are made mainly to be adapted into movies, in which case I'll save lots of time by just watching the movies. If the books offer something unique that the movies don't, then I'm interested.

For my money, they're just airport thrillers. Still, if you want to try them out, I'd stick to just Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs -- those were the ones Harris wrote before Hannibal Lecter became a multimillion-dollar franchise.

In Hannibal and later books, he's trying to write Anthony Hopkins doing Hannibal Lecter instead of his original conception of the character, and I feel the result is much weaker.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I'm looking for some good SF or fantasy short story collections.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Huskalator posted:

I'm looking for some good SF or fantasy short story collections.

The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, edited by Gordon Van Gelder (two volumes)
Modern Classics of Fantasy and Modern Classics of Science Fiction, both edited by Gardner Dozois
The Secret History of Fantasy, edited by Peter S. Beagle (there's also a Secret History of Science Fiction but I haven't read it yet)

There are also these, which I haven't read yet but seem pretty cool:

There are a whole bunch of annual anthologies, spanning from the '60s or '70s to the present, put together by all sorts of different editors. I'm working my way haphazardly through some of them, and have enough under my belt to say that, while there are some amazing stories in them, the quality is all over the place.

Plus there are anthologies of different subgenres out there, like steampunk or weird western or sword and sorcery, or whatever, none of which I've read except for Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, which is also wildly uneven in quality. I think that's going to come up a lot with any anthology or collection you might find.

Frequent anthologists you might look for are Datlow and Wilding, Dozois, Van Gelder, Hartwell, and Rich Horton.

Edit: I put some more recs above.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, edited by Gordon Van Gelder (two volumes)
The Secret History of Fantasy, edited by Peter S. Beagle (there's also a Secret History of Science Fiction but I haven't read it yet)

There are also these, which I haven't read yet but seem pretty cool:

There are a whole bunch of annual anthologies, spanning from the '60s or '70s to the present, put together by all sorts of different editors. I'm working my way haphazardly through some of them, and have enough under my belt to say that, while there are some amazing stories in them, the quality is all over the place.

Plus there are anthologies of different subgenres out there, like steampunk or weird western or sword and sorcery, or whatever, none of which I've read except for Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, which is also wildly uneven in quality. I think that's going to come up a lot with any anthology or collection you might find.

I'd also point to The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, edited Robert Silverberg. Start with Volume I.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I would love an over the top cheesy fantasy epic, please. I've read and enjoyed The Abhorsen series, The Drizzt Series and The Icewind Dale series. I want something with wizards and knights and dragons and melodramatic speeches.

Failing that, something like the Dresden Files, Harry Potter, The Hobbit/LotR or the like would also be appreciated. Series are preferred. I do need to ask that any sexual violence be kept to a minimum, so something like Game of Thrones wouldn't work well for me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sociopastry posted:

I would love an over the top cheesy fantasy epic, please. I've read and enjoyed The Abhorsen series, The Drizzt Series and The Icewind Dale series. I want something with wizards and knights and dragons and melodramatic speeches.

Failing that, something like the Dresden Files, Harry Potter, The Hobbit/LotR or the like would also be appreciated. Series are preferred. I do need to ask that any sexual violence be kept to a minimum, so something like Game of Thrones wouldn't work well for me.
The Iron Druid Chronicles sound like a good fit

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

perfect, thanks!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

The Belgariad. David Eddings gets mocked for writing the same plot over and over again, but the Belgariad is still a good solid block of fantasy cheese.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
I've been looking for a frontiersman/pioneer style story, preferably historical fiction. I'm assuming I'm most like to find what I'm looking for in a western, but the only one I've ever read was True Grit. I want something about hunting for food and eating bacon and fried bread in the wilderness. I'm more interested in a book that includes the minutiae of daily life than a history lesson.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

I've been looking for a frontiersman/pioneer style story, preferably historical fiction. I'm assuming I'm most like to find what I'm looking for in a western, but the only one I've ever read was True Grit. I want something about hunting for food and eating bacon and fried bread in the wilderness. I'm more interested in a book that includes the minutiae of daily life than a history lesson.

The Son by Philip Meyer is great for this. It's a sweeping historical epic that goes into the modern day but most of it takes place in frontier times in Texas and Mexico. It has a lot of the minutiae type stuff you're looking for from a bunch of different viewpoints, including pioneer settlers, cowboys, Texas Rangers and Comanches. It's a real good story too.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Have you read any Carl Hiaasen? Crime novels, colorful characters, offbeat humor, but not so much that you'd characterize it in general as weird. In particular, I like Skin Tight and Stormy Weather.

I've always thought of Hiaasen as the kind of pop/easy/airport/beach/pulp version of Pynchon.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kvlt! posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-A-Novel-Knut-Hamsun/dp/0374531102

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I've always thought of Hiaasen as the kind of pop/easy/airport/beach/pulp version of Pynchon.

Well, I'll be honest. On the one hand, I would never suggest putting him on the shelf next to Dostoyevsky. But on the other hand, it wouldn't have occurred to me to think of him as "airport" or "beach." But then again, on yet the other hand, I don't think I'd argue the point.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Sociopastry posted:

The Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer, starting with The Long Way Down, will scratch your Dresden Files itch. There is a little (offscreen) sexual violence in the first book, but it's treated fairly respecfully.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Can someone recommend some books they really liked? I am in kind of a rut and not able to find anything I want to read. I am open to any genre besides fantasy and sci-fi unless it is really good. Sorry for the vague request, but I always tend to find good books when people just talk about their favorites.

nedlardsail
Aug 26, 2013
I'm looking for something to read with one of my best friends, whose birthday is coming up. I want something that will really speak to her.

Here are some important things about her, some mix of which I'm hoping to find in a story:

-She's turning 28
-She works many hours a week as a personal assistant and more so as a nanny; it's not very satisfying
-She's been in a relationship for about a year with a guy who lives across town; the relationship is maybe not 100% satisfying
-She spends a lot of time driving because of the two previous things
-She's got a history of mental illness
-She's very sexual (with men and women)
-Her late mother had a history of mental illness and drug abuse; the relationship was strained
-She lives with her dad

So I'm looking for something that I'll call "implicitly feminist" because she's strong and smart and independent but thinks explicit feminism is bullshit :shrug: I'm looking preferably for a novella or short story (collection) as she's so busy. Also, it's preferably written by a woman, but it at least has to center on a woman (or women). The top contenders so far, from Wikipedia-type summaries, include The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Bonjour Tristesse, Dancing Girls, and Lives of Girls and Women, but they all feel to me as though they're missing something. I'm pretty unfamiliar with women's literature, unfortunately, and I'm weary of reading much until then because our reading it together is supposed to be part of the gift. Can anyone vouch for any of those works? Can anyone recommend something sort of in this vein?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

Can someone recommend some books they really liked? I am in kind of a rut and not able to find anything I want to read. I am open to any genre besides fantasy and sci-fi unless it is really good. Sorry for the vague request, but I always tend to find good books when people just talk about their favorites.

Uh, let's see:

Tinkers
The Truth About Stories
The Cider House Rules
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-Five
Russka
Pillars of the Earth
The Road
Blood Meridian
Born to Run
Lolita
Cosmos
The Human Stain

Quite a few genres there. I hope this helps.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

Uh, let's see:

Tinkers
The Truth About Stories
The Cider House Rules
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-Five
Russka
Pillars of the Earth
The Road
Blood Meridian
Born to Run
Lolita
Cosmos
The Human Stain

Quite a few genres there. I hope this helps.
Thans, I have only read about half of those, so it gives me quite a few!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rusty posted:

My overall favorite books are very dark and well-written crime novels, with the two best authors for this I've come across so far being James Ellroy and David Peace. The best book I read last year was probably Ellroy's latest, Perfidia. I like Ellroy's Underworld USA books the best out of his stuff though. They're focused on all the fuckery the CIA and mafia got up to in the 1960s and cover all the high profile assassinations of those times, along with all the terrible poo poo the US got up to in third world countries to counter communism. My favorite stuff from Peace are his Red Riding books. They're similar in style and subject matter to Ellroy but have a smaller scope on corruption, crime and violence in Yorkshire during the 70s and early 80s all tied together by the Yorkshire Ripper case.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

David Peace is amazing but holy god his books are bleak. This is not a bad thing but something just to keep in mind.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

savinhill posted:

My overall favorite books are very dark and well-written crime novels, with the two best authors for this I've come across so far being James Ellroy and David Peace. The best book I read last year was probably Ellroy's latest, Perfidia. I like Ellroy's Underworld USA books the best out of his stuff though. They're focused on all the fuckery the CIA and mafia got up to in the 1960s and cover all the high profile assassinations of those times, along with all the terrible poo poo the US got up to in third world countries to counter communism. My favorite stuff from Peace are his Red Riding books. They're similar in style and subject matter to Ellroy but have a smaller scope on corruption, crime and violence in Yorkshire during the 70s and early 80s all tied together by the Yorkshire Ripper case.
Thanks, I went ahead and bought Perfidia, it sounds perfect.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm looking for any kind of book that will help me not give a gently caress about what others think of me. Even if the book isn't about that specifically, I'm just struggling with that so if there's any book, novel or self-help or whatever that's helped you with that, please let me know :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

I'm looking for any kind of book that will help me not give a gently caress about what others think of me. Even if the book isn't about that specifically, I'm just struggling with that so if there's any book, novel or self-help or whatever that's helped you with that, please let me know :)

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy. If you're an analytical, philosophically-minded sort. It's less a self-help book than a review of Classical Western life philosophies for laymen. Really changed my life. That fear of judgement is explicitly one of the issues that Stoicism helps people manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
or, for something lighter,
Yes Man by Danny Wallace

Thich Nhat Hahn inspires me a lot.

And there's always Brian Tracy?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 2, 2015