Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
New helmet is great. Darth has a massive head anyway and now he'll finally look taller than other figs instead of a shortarse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

He was also so adorable in the Yoda Chronicles any animated Lego Star Wars thing ever :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lizard Combatant posted:

New helmet is great. Darth has a massive head anyway and now he'll finally look taller than other figs instead of a shortarse.

I'm forever baffled that they don't use the taller legs from Woody on some other characters. Chewbacca in particular would benefit massively.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a thread for mini figure trading? I grabbed what I thought was a samurai and a space marine. It was an explorer and a unicorn.

I am not good at feeling bags.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I feel sad that I didn't know this thread existed. I'm still angry I missed out on the UCS Super star destroyer.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Bushifox posted:

I feel sad that I didn't know this thread existed. I'm still angry I missed out on the UCS Super star destroyer.

Yeah I'm annoyed that got retired before the Death Star did, I thought we'd have years of that thing being around.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Turkson posted:

Is there a thread for mini figure trading? I grabbed what I thought was a samurai and a space marine. It was an explorer and a unicorn.

I am not good at feeling bags.

Yo. Email me at my username at gmail dot com. I have an extra of those 2 and need yours.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm forever baffled that they don't use the taller legs from Woody on some other characters. Chewbacca in particular would benefit massively.
My gut feeling on that is there were some Disney IP Police who said if you're going to make Woody he has to be taller than Buzz, and it wasn't Lego's idea since they seem to be big on keeping their minifigs uniform. Introduce longer legs, especially into Star Wars, and suddenly you have to make sure every car, cockpit, or whatever can fit them or you lose the interchangeability Lego likes.

Besides, we all know the true way to make minifigures taller.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There was a performance of "Everything is Awesome" on the Oscars and the dancers handed Lego Oscar statues to audience members.

Here's a picture. I'd put it in the thread, but the face Oprah is making terrifies me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wow, they went all out for the dancing too. Must be drat hot dancing in a Batman costume.

They're not as fancy as Lego Oscars, but I made some ghosts. There's something satisfying about making something that came in a set out of spare bits. Well, only Left Ghost was made of spares to see how easy it was, the others were from ordered bits.

In nerd colours. I also had enough eyes left over from Mixels to have a different style on all of them. A Pick-a-Brick wall of eyes would be wonderful. And Glow in the Dark pieces.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
here's a nice link for any fans of Star Wars MOCs...

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106012

Boba Fett lives!

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
So I went to my local Lego Store yesterday (Picked up the Exosuit before it goes off sale) and was genuinely moved by a random act of kindness. They were giving VIP members a free polybag with every purchase and this older guy who was buying a huge technic set, didn't want his and instead just randomly gave it a child in store. Nothing creepy about it, just a genuine act of kindness.

I like to think it's this hobby, because I don't think you'd see that in many other places.

And before anyone asks, yes I did get my freebie, and it went to my daughter (who at 3 years old has a bigger collection of lego and duplo than I ever had as a child!)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I recently randomly grabbed a snow speeder from Target while I was grocery shopping, and now have a really hard time passing the Lego aisle without wanting to grab something every time. I haven't really thought about picking any up in the past but there is something really fun about the way it combines my two favorite things as a kid, and it's really fun to just sit and build a set while I'm watching a movie. I picked up the at-dp today. I don't really care about stuff that isn't from the original movies, but it's a pretty cool looking design. Probably should have went with the B-wing instead though.

Weirdly, I just found out a buddy of mine has the most obscene Lego collection I've ever seen and he's getting rid of it when he moves. He's got just about every Star Wars set and giving me first dibs on it which is pretty sweet. He's selling me the big X-wing model for $130 which seems like a steal. I don't know what else I'll buy from him cause I don't want to get into too much trouble, but he's got the regular and Masters versions of just about every cool Star Wars vehicle. Probably won't be able to resist the AT-AT or the big AT-ST model.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Weirdly, I just found out a buddy of mine has the most obscene Lego collection I've ever seen and he's getting rid of it when he moves. He's got just about every Star Wars set and giving me first dibs on it which is pretty sweet.

You have to get me in touch with this friend of yours. I have most of the recent Lego sets of Episode IV-VI, but I'm missing random sets like the Desert Skiff and Echo base. I'm in a downward spiral.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If he has the UCS B Wing I would be interested in that...

I finally got around to putting together the Lincoln Memorial and it was an ok build, but it's a great little display piece. I particularly love how the light comes in through the trans clear roof pieces and light the statue in a way very reminiscent of the actual memorial.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I feel you on the downward spiral thing. I just got a big set over the weekend after not buying any for a few years. I finished it last night but today at work I find myself thinking, "can't wait to get home and back to building" but I really shouldn't go buying sets back to back like that. Just keep telling myself I'm saving for that UCS Tie but I'll crack and grab a b wing before then.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have the Mars set? I can give you a B-Wing for it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you guys want, I'll let him know some people here might be interested in some of his stuff the next time I talk to him. It might be a little while, but I wanna grab that UCS X wing so I'll probably hit him up sooner than later. He was talking about selling it as lot after I pick through it, which seems insane because it's an entire room of complete sets. I don't think anyone could afford that and he's probably get completely hosed trying to sell them like that.

That AT-DP kit I picked up is actually really awesome. I was hesitant to buy something from some spinoff I've never heard of, but it looks just like some hybrid of an AT-ST/Robotech pod walker and it's well built and pretty big.

Edit: I have been eyeballing those UCS sets for a while and wondering, where can you find those at a fair price? I realize they are limited runs and some of them might be more valuable, but most of the places I've seen them listed the prices are absolutely ludicrous. Like, that X-wing appears to be worth $250-$300 new from the legit Ebay auctions I've seen, but most seem to have starting bids at around 1,800. Same seems to goe for all of the other UCS stuff. I don't get why people try to shoot for the moon with the prices on these things when they don't seem to be worth a fraction of that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Isn't the UCS X Wing still in print?

Or maybe some of those listings are for the old one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They might be the old ones. Yeah it's still in print as far as know. I don't know anything about the print runs. Are the ones that are out of production actually like 1800 bucks though? That seems outrageous.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

McDragon posted:

Wow, they went all out for the dancing too. Must be drat hot dancing in a Batman costume.

They're not as fancy as Lego Oscars, but I made some ghosts. There's something satisfying about making something that came in a set out of spare bits. Well, only Left Ghost was made of spares to see how easy it was, the others were from ordered bits.

What's up, Lego Pac-man Ghost buddy? I made this a couple years ago as a wall decoration.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: I have been eyeballing those UCS sets for a while and wondering, where can you find those at a fair price? I realize they are limited runs and some of them might be more valuable, but most of the places I've seen them listed the prices are absolutely ludicrous. Like, that X-wing appears to be worth $250-$300 new from the legit Ebay auctions I've seen, but most seem to have starting bids at around 1,800. Same seems to goe for all of the other UCS stuff. I don't get why people try to shoot for the moon with the prices on these things when they don't seem to be worth a fraction of that.

If you're talking about the 7191 UCS X-Wing, it's actually worth 500-1000, new-in-box. Used, you're looking at a fifth to half that price.

It's hard to say where to get the 'fairest' price. Bricklink is usually good, but you look at 7191, and New-in-Sealed-Box listings start around $900, while eBay has Sold listings for it around $500-700, and one recent Buy It Now with no pictures for a bizarre price of $1700 (didn't even include free shipping!).

I see strange pricing on ebay all the time. A complete set of Star Wars Microfighters...Buy it Now for $250, about double what the dozen sets cost retail, and they're not even out of print. Obviously bot-set pricing of $10,000 for a $5 impulse Space Police 3 set from a few years ago. I've seen someone repeatedly try (and fail) to sell just the instructions for the Lunar Lander for $70 (they can be had on BL for $15). A red classic space minifig for $30. A pair of Blacktron 2 landing pad baseplates for $70 ($20 on BL). I just don't understand it, since it almost never sells for more than what you can get it for on Bricklink. Anyone who's willing to spend $1000 on a 10-year-old Lego set isn't going to just look at eBay or maybe Amazon, they're going to hit up BL and any other AFOL marketplace.
Best way to get a good price is to skip over anything that includes a box (or minifigs if you're looking for Star Wars).
Even that's not assured anymore, though--I've seen box-less Mega Core Magnetizers double in price in the last year or so, and other space ships I've bought over the last few years have steadily increased as all of us 80s/90s Lego kids hit our disposable income stages and discover we can actually buy those Lego sets we drooled over as kids.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually don't know which one it is that I'm buying. Pretty sure it's the current one. I think he just bought it at the Lego store last year. Some of the crazy prices I have seen must just be Ebay people over estimating how much something is worth. I've seen it with other collectables on Ebay and Amazon. I don't know the reason for it, but I've looked for things that are worth say, $200 on Ebay but 3/4 of the listing will be for $700 and getting no bids and other set for $200 buy it now's at the proper price. Maybe it's a snowball effect where one guy lists it for too much and everyone uses that auction as reference?.

Anyways, I was specifically looking for the UCS Snowspeeder and it always seems to be listed for around 1800 as well which seems insane. I'm not that familiar with Bricklink but I'll check it out. I've only got a few kits right now, but I want to make a little shelf of some of my favorite ships and machines from when I was a kid.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 24, 2015

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I actually don't know which one it is that I'm buying. Pretty sure it's the current one. I think he just bought it at the Lego store last year. Some of the crazy prices I have seen must just be Ebay people over estimating how much something is worth. I've seen it with other collectables on Ebay and Amazon. I don't know the reason for it, but I've looked for things that are worth say, $200 on Ebay but 3/4 of the listing will be for $700 and getting no bids and other set for $200 buy it now's at the proper price. Maybe it's a snowball effect where one guy lists it for too much and everyone uses that auction as reference?.

Anyways, I was specifically looking for the UCS Snowspeeder and it always seems to be listed for around 1800 as well which seems insane. I'm not that familiar with Bricklink but I'll check it out. I've only got a few kits right now, but I want to make a little shelf of some of my favorite ships and machines from when I was a kid.

There are some UCS Snowspeeders on Bricklink for ~$700, and recent sold listings on ebay for ~$600. I'd guess the Snowspeeder didn't sell as well as the X-Wing, so there are just fewer of them out there, bumping the price for collectors.

In other news, Target is clearancing the Spider Man and X-Men sets, TMNT, and 1st gen Ultra Agents. Some of them are poo poo clearance (ooh, $3 off), but some are pretty good ($20 off a $70 set). TRU has a bunch of the new City & Ninjago sets out, and I've seen Elves at Walmart. I'm a little disappointed Elves is pretty much Heartlake City with pointy ears. A workshop, a treehouse, a spa, a bakery, a ship, a house (castle), a vehicle (sleigh).

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Pyroclastic posted:

There are some UCS Snowspeeders on Bricklink for ~$700, and recent sold listings on ebay for ~$600. I'd guess the Snowspeeder didn't sell as well as the X-Wing, so there are just fewer of them out there, bumping the price for collectors.

In other news, Target is clearancing the Spider Man and X-Men sets, TMNT, and 1st gen Ultra Agents. Some of them are poo poo clearance (ooh, $3 off), but some are pretty good ($20 off a $70 set). TRU has a bunch of the new City & Ninjago sets out, and I've seen Elves at Walmart. I'm a little disappointed Elves is pretty much Heartlake City with pointy ears. A workshop, a treehouse, a spa, a bakery, a ship, a house (castle), a vehicle (sleigh).

X-Men is getting cleared out? I remember that you're in the Seattle area, which store did you see that at?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

shymog posted:

X-Men is getting cleared out? I remember that you're in the Seattle area, which store did you see that at?

I've seen it at the South Hill and Bonney Lake stores. X-Men vs The Sentinel is down to $35 (from $50). They seem to be going quickly, though.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
So much Star Wars talk up in this thread, personally I've become absolutely enamored with Space Police 3 and only need a couple smaller sets to complete the collection, easily the most "adult" theme they've put out.

A drat space limo called the Brick Mamba driven by a pimp dressed in purple called "Brick Daddy" and his driver "Jawson".

With a drat space police officer, in the trunk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was considerably more talked about when it was actually available for purchase and not multiple years out of production.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Captain Invictus posted:

It was considerably more talked about when it was actually available for purchase and not multiple years out of production.

Missed the boat on the first run, but thankfully it's contemporary enough I've been able to acquire them all at < MSRP and still complete.

The current space stuff just lacks the character of the "urban" setting of SP3, feels like Halo/Power Rangers/Starship Troopers and thanks I'll pass.

Even the Alien Conquest theme had some good mojo.

New agents are ok I guess but still lacking, I do like the big black semi truck tho.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

I just want to say that 70012 is a cool set as it's a raven with a V6 and jet engines that is also a spaceship which is crewed by raven people.

which are also pirates

:hellyeah:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Electrophotonic posted:

I just want to say that 70012 is a cool set as it's a raven with a V6 and jet engines that is also a spaceship which is crewed by raven people.

which are also pirates

:hellyeah:

I really have a guilty love of the Chima stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It revels in goofiness in a different way from ninjago which is nice.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Target has been clearing out Agents, Movie, and Batman stuff here but it's almost all 15% plus their markup. So Benny's Spaceship was still $94.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I finally got the Chima ape mech and put it together the other day. Knew I wanted it from the moment I saw it and finally found a good discount thanks to Brick Badger.

I have some other Chima sets but mostly just for parts. I'll probably make a lot of space apes though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Target has been clearing out Agents, Movie, and Batman stuff here but it's almost all 15% plus their markup. So Benny's Spaceship was still $94.

My Target had Benny's Spaceship for $66, I picked one up.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

It actually took me a while before I saw the gorilla face in the ape mech as the eyes aren't very apparent. Once you see the nose in the hood intakes though...

Speaking of which

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Electrophotonic posted:

It actually took me a while before I saw the gorilla face in the ape mech as the eyes aren't very apparent. Once you see the nose in the hood intakes though...

Holy poo poo, I never noticed.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

While on the subject of mechs, it was AlanYuppie's amazing alt model transformers that got me into Lego again, and it looks like he already has one ready for 31034 Future Flyer.

31007 Power Mech is my favorite though.
-->

Here are his alt models, he's posted instructions for most of them.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I never realised galidor was Lego until recently. I loved those toys as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have the chance to buy a big bag of 100ish minifigs for 250. It looks to have a fair amount of Harry Potter figures and I saw some Avatar and CMF's as well. Does this sound like a good deal if I keep the few I want and sell the rest?