Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

That episode was pretty great. I loved the story behind Decim's mannequins and Ginti still being a big grouch. I wonder what will happen with the special pair Nona is sending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gonna take a wild guess that next episode may get us the double voided judgement, or at least non-typical people if they're supposed to be sent to some other arbiter.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I wonder what kind of coup d'etat Nona is planning. Did she implant some memories of the black haired woman into herself, since she's reading the same book?
Ginty getting jealous at Mayu was cute. Maybe their implanted emotions have something to do with their assistants.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, there's implications that every arbiter eventually realizes that the system is hosed despite the fact that they have no emotions to make that call. Presumably, this is due to the old man's management now that God is gone, which Nona is against. The fact he calls arbiters dummies could possibly mean that voided bodies are recycled into arbiters now that we know that all those mannequins were guests at one point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since rules one and three have been shown to be a crock of poo poo, who do you think's going to be our first arbiter casualty?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Black haired girls sleeps with the light on. I hear that's not good for your health. I looked up the book Chawot. It doesn't exist. I kind of wish I could read the rest of that story -- except in English of course -- not Japanese.

I get the idea that Nona was at one time an arbiter herself and got promoted and given free reign over the tower over which she governs. The dude she plays pool with is the overall boss, and her boss too. She's been breaking the rules for whatever devious purposes (nothing nefarious though) and if he catches her, there'll be hell to pay. Maybe literally. A clear indicator of the fact that arbiters are themselves made of dummies is those freaky plus-sign eyes.

The idea that the people coming down the elevators are physically actually dummies interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the need for this to be the case. However, that one episode where Nona is testing Decim, we see how that works. My question is: Where do they get all those disposable dummies?

Also, now we know why the bar is called QuinDecim. I wondered about the bar having his name, Decim, in the name.

Also, how do they get stuff from the "living world"? Why do they need to eat? Where do they get their fresh food?

Decim definitely has a somewhat creepy hobby. I loved black-haired-girls response to "you want to see more?"

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I can't wait to hear about the misogynist undertones in this episode.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 21, 2015

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJ0-iR5ArA
BRADIO reenacting the Death Parade OP.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Also, how do they get stuff from the "living world"? Why do they need to eat? Where do they get their fresh food?

The way they put it when talking about the wine from the "living world" makes me think they make their own food and drinks by them selves, but they are just bland copies and won't taste as good as the real stuff.

Edit: I tried looking up if 7000 dead/day is a normal figure but I can only find deaths/1,000 population (which is 9.38 deaths/1,000 population for Japan) and I'm bad at math so I couldn't figure it out.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demicol posted:

The way they put it when talking about the wine from the "living world" makes me think they make their own food and drinks by them selves, but they are just bland copies and won't taste as good as the real stuff.

Edit: I tried looking up if 7000 dead/day is a normal figure but I can only find deaths/1,000 population (which is 9.38 deaths/1,000 population for Japan) and I'm bad at math so I couldn't figure it out.

Doing some basic calculations, the Japanese death rate is roughly 3452 per day. So yeah, this ain't normal.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 21, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Weren't almost half of the people we see murdered?
The current system is already hosed up, so what if the people who would normally be voided are responsible for that high deathrate?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lurking Haro posted:

Weren't almost half of the people we see murdered?
The current system is already hosed up, so what if the people who would normally be voided are responsible for that high deathrate?

4 died in car accidents, 1 suicide, 1 bathroom slip, and 2 murders.

Moral of the story is that cars are the true villains of real life.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Clarste posted:

4 died in car accidents, 1 suicide, 1 bathroom slip, and 2 murders.

Moral of the story is that cars are the true villains of real life.

The young guy in Death Billiards was stabbed, if it's part of the continuity.
So except for Darts and Bowling, it always involved a murdered person. There are currently 0.3 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in Japan.
Either Decim simply gets a lot of murder cases, or the murder rate is really high.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurking Haro posted:

The young guy in Death Billiards was stabbed, if it's part of the continuity.
So except for Darts and Bowling, it always involved a murdered person. There are currently 0.3 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in Japan.
Either Decim simply gets a lot of murder cases, or the murder rate is really high.

Well these are meant to be exceptional cases even if they died at the same time, so I doubt a little old lady passing away of old age is going to turn up. Plus we just saw Nona explicitly drop a pair of special cases on Decim.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This episode made it confusing whether humans are even supposed to be able to end up as an Arbiters Incorporated employees.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnacondaHL posted:

This episode made it confusing whether humans are even supposed to be able to end up as an Arbiters Incorporated employees.

Pretty sure they aren't. Nona seems to be breaking a lot of rules, and black-haired girl's something she's trying to keep from Oculus.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Doing some basic calculations, the Japanese death rate is roughly 3452 per day. So yeah, this ain't normal.

According to WholesomeWords

...and Ecology.com

But according to Index Mundi the death rate in Japan is about 9.38 deaths/1,000 population (2014 est.). This is definitely higher than the "average" of about 8 per 1000 for the rest of the world.

Doesn't say why. Interestingly enough, the USA is at 8/1000 (the average) and South Africa is at 17/1000. They don't say why though. My guess is oral hygiene. Have you seen the teeth on that lead singer guy for Bradio? He needs some braces in a bad way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Japan also has a ridiculously high senior population, so it could be that they're starting to die off now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Japan has a very high life expectancy, the relatively high death rate would be due to demographic factors (IE a low birth rate resulting in an aging population).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Demicol posted:

I thought it was a general comment how people die frequently on Earth and sometimes for no reason at all. I do know someone does go back and forth for them time to time as Nona requests items. Also, I liked how they elaborate on Decim's hobby.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Given that both souls were stated to be marked. My bet is that they are both criminals.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Ginti is actually a big 'ol softie, letting Mayu live with him because he won't pass judgement on her.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Great Rumbler posted:

Ginti is actually a big 'ol softie, letting Mayu live with him because he won't pass judgement on her.

Which begs the question what happened to idol guy, considering he was ready to kick someone to their (presumed) death to save his own skin.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 23, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

For beings that supposedly don't have emotions they sure know how to get annoyed, get a kick out of schadenfreude, enjoy a drink etc!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

For beings that supposedly don't have emotions they sure know how to get annoyed, get a kick out of schadenfreude, enjoy a drink etc!

And for people who aren't allowed to retire or switch jobs, I'm seeing a lot of personnel movement. Gee, it's like the whole system is bullshit cooked up by callous, clueless idiots or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I got the feeling that by emotion they mean more sentience. Arbiters other than Ginti have a set personality that is fixed, like a robot, whereas Decim is capable of seeing things in new light and changing his personality.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

I got the feeling that by emotion they mean more sentience. Arbiters other than Ginti have a set personality that is fixed, like a robot, whereas Decim is capable of seeing things in new light and changing his personality.
Isn't Quin a problem for this theory? Every arbiter we've actually seen doesn't seem to be lacking "human emotions," broadly speaking. Decim's weirder than the other two, but he does seem to have some sort of emotional attachments.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I assume emotion is just having empathy or humanity. Only Decim has shown any genuine thoughts and admiration for humans so far. Everything else could just be programmed in as an act. Course, the rules could also be bullshit and dummies still retain some humanity even if they lack souls or whatever.

EDIT: That's a fun thought. The afterlife is run by robots made from the soulless husks of humans. Death Parade was secretly a sci-fi robot story all along.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 24, 2015

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Allarion posted:

Death Parade was secretly a sci-fi robot story all along.
...if only that were true.

The whole "arbiters don't have emotions" thing is totally either false or they mean something other than emotions, because obviously they do. Ginti is angry all the time, and Quin certainly is a lively and seemingly emotional persion. They would act like Data from ST:TNG if they didn't have emotions. My take is that they're all broken -- at least in this particular tower. Broken means they don't follow the rules. Maybe Decim is special as he actually seems less emotion-capable than the other arbiters we've seen.

I would agree with Allarion that Decim seems more thoughtful regarding a lot of things -- his unique hobby for one. It's creepy as hell but really interesting in a way. Also he does seem to think about his clients more as well. I suspect Decim is "specially" broken.

Would be interesting to compare this tower's arbiters with another.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think not-God is just wrong in his assumption that artificial beings can't have emotions. They probably pick them up from the people they see.

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011
Does anyone know how this show is doing in sales? I'd love to see another cour.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The single for Flyers has come out, and the third track on it is the "Hidden Afro" remix :allears:

I think I'm officially a Funky Party Person now.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think not-God is just wrong in his assumption that artificial beings can't have emotions. They probably pick them up from the people they see.

Seems to be more like a rule he believes in. And enforces with memory wipes.
Maybe also to keep himself in power?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The combination of constant memory wipes and every character likely being just a puppet or mannequin with skin and the perception of a body attached makes this a dark and interesting series on its own, the presence of a subversion of the classic "death game" trope just takes it over the top. The clearest parallel to me is thinking of the characters as robots, this wouldn't be out of place at all as a sci-fi concept.

It's also interesting that we've already seen clear flaws in the judgment system (The woman in episode one clearly should have been reincarnated, the red-haired judge doesn't take his work seriously at all, etc.), so I wonder if we'll see it changed significantly by the end of the series.

Also, what happened to the people involved needing to die at the same place? Is it just the same time now? The first couple died in the same car crash, and then there were the youngsters who died in the bus accident, but after that there seems to be no "nearness" requirement at all.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

The combination of constant memory wipes and every character likely being just a puppet or mannequin with skin and the perception of a body attached makes this a dark and interesting series on its own, the presence of a subversion of the classic "death game" trope just takes it over the top. The clearest parallel to me is thinking of the characters as robots, this wouldn't be out of place at all as a sci-fi concept.

It's also interesting that we've already seen clear flaws in the judgment system (The woman in episode one clearly should have been reincarnated, the red-haired judge doesn't take his work seriously at all, etc.), so I wonder if we'll see it changed significantly by the end of the series.

Also, what happened to the people involved needing to die at the same place? Is it just the same time now? The first couple died in the same car crash, and then there were the youngsters who died in the bus accident, but after that there seems to be no "nearness" requirement at all.

They have common themes.
The actress was a neglecting mother, while the otaku had an abusive mother.
Mayu was a groupie of Harada, exactly the of kind of person he took advantage off.
Gives a Yin Yang kind of feeling.

Billiards is the only one where I can't see this pattern.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not sure Billiards is canon to this series. If you ignore it, they've never said that the deaths had to occur in the same place, only at the same time. And it's easy enough to imagine them coincidentally happening at the same time.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Did Billiards mention it had to happen at the same place? I don't recall that happening at all plus it didn't even seem to happen at the same place during what we saw of the contestants' lives. It was suggested the old one died of age and the younger fellow died from a stab wound in his own house.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's always been two deaths at the same time. The Billiards guys weren't even geographically close.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Okay, that might have been a missed translation then. The translation on episode 1 or 2 explicitly read that the two people had to die in the same place. Same time makes a lot more sense though, and obviously there are issues that relate the two characters. I didn't get the impression that the Otaku's mom was abusive though, I thought she was his step-mother and just wanted him to acknowledge her as a mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Okay, that might have been a missed translation then. The translation on episode 1 or 2 explicitly read that the two people had to die in the same place. Same time makes a lot more sense though, and obviously there are issues that relate the two characters. I didn't get the impression that the Otaku's mom was abusive though, I thought she was his step-mother and just wanted him to acknowledge her as a mother.

His biological mother was abusive, which gave him issues with his (perfectly nice) stepmother.

• Locked thread