Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Proof of chemtrails everybody, posted by my crazy half-brother with the comment "Just in case your not paying attention"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

vyelkin posted:

Proof of chemtrails everybody, posted by my crazy half-brother with the comment "Just in case your not paying attention"

I've seen the light of reason.

Airplanes sometimes fly overhead. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW :tinfoil:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There an innumerable people and events outside of my direct perception! Help!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

McDowell posted:

There an innumerable people and events outside of my direct perception! Help!
Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

EDIT: I don't know where else it'd belong, but I'm just gonna leave this actually existing Malcolm X credit card here.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: I don't know where else it'd belong, but I'm just gonna leave this actually existing Malcolm X credit card here.
Debit card.

Pedantic I know, but as a Muslim Malcolm would presumably have observed a large difference between credit and prepaid.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Not a forward but I overheard my mother complaining about why African Americans are called thus when European immigrants aren't called like Irish American and that "press two for Spanish" is a thing when supposedly no other country does this.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks to Giuliani's recent foray into moron land, I've been enjoying some reruns from 2008.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

Not a forward but I overheard my mother complaining about why African Americans are called thus when European immigrants aren't called like Irish American and that "press two for Spanish" is a thing when supposedly no other country does this.

But when I visit Mexico or Europe, they'd better drat well speak English at every airport and hotel!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chimera-gui posted:

I actually have a big problem with this and I've stated it so to people who don't know how to address me. I tell them to say black because African-American gives credence that American has become a specific ethnicity when it hasn't except for real Americans, the ones that have been forced on reservations to die out. I think a large reason for the shift from 'Negro' to 'Afro- and African-American' is because black people want to give credence to whites that black people are americans too. Which is true, but you don't need to add American to your ethnicity to make it so. This delving into the past has also made whites reexamine their past to look at themselves as not just American but German-Ameican, Irish-American, Spanish-American, Polish-American, etc. but the argument is still bullshit. You shouldn't have to add American to your ethnicity to make it different from an old world group. Your ethnicity is Polish, etc. Your nationality is American. I am black. I am also American. I am not African-American.

The second you call me black with disgust in your tone though the gloves are off and I'm gonna bury you.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

What's the problem here?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Thanks to Giuliani's recent foray into moron land, I've been enjoying some reruns from 2008.

Huh, Alinsky's rules actually sound like pretty smart and insightful advice on how to carry out political activism.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rick_Hunter posted:

I actually have a big problem with this and I've stated it so to people who don't know how to address me. I tell them to say black because African-American gives credence that American has become a specific ethnicity when it hasn't except for real Americans, the ones that have been forced on reservations to die out. I think a large reason for the shift from 'Negro' to 'Afro- and African-American' is because black people want to give credence to whites that black people are americans too. Which is true, but you don't need to add American to your ethnicity to make it so. This delving into the past has also made whites reexamine their past to look at themselves as not just American but German-Ameican, Irish-American, Spanish-American, Polish-American, etc. but the argument is still bullshit. You shouldn't have to add American to your ethnicity to make it different from an old world group. Your ethnicity is Polish, etc. Your nationality is American. I am black. I am also American. I am not African-American.

The second you call me black with disgust in your tone though the gloves are off and I'm gonna bury you.

Teddy Roosevelt posted:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all … The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic … There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
On that note, you also run into white immigrants from South Africa how claim to be African American . Wpld you call an immigrant from Libya or Egypt "african American?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

On that note, you also run into white immigrants from South Africa how claim to be African American . Wpld you call an immigrant from Libya or Egypt "african American?"

Yay, the joke I always get to hear whenever I tell someone where I come from.

"If you're from Africa...why are you white?"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

VitalSigns posted:

Do you deadpan respond with, "Colonialism"?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

OMG so sinister!

Christ, replace Saul Alinsky with Gandhi or MLK and it either sounds like things they'd do or things they'd say.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Do you deadpan respond with, "Colonialism"?

Of course not!

South Africa was empty when the Dutch arrived. It's the Zulus and the Xhosa who migrated in from the north after we settled the country and started colonizing us! :freep::cryingZARfourcolor:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Of course not!

South Africa was empty when the Dutch arrived. It's the Zulus and the Xhosa who migrated in from the north after we settled the country and started colonizing us! :freep::cryingZARfourcolor:

:geert:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Now I'm wondering if :geert: has any opinion on South Africa.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Chimera-gui posted:

Living in Jordan at the moment, "Press 2 for English" is definitely a thing here. When I've placed calls to the UK there are often a whole bunch of language choices too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Wait, isn''t Irish American and Italian American etc a real thing in America that people commonly use? That's certainly the impression your various media gives to us abroad.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Deptfordx posted:

Wait, isn''t Irish American and Italian American etc a real thing in America that people commonly use? That's certainly the impression your various media gives to us abroad.

Yeah, clearly the person complaining still thinks calling people "black" gets people in trouble. They're trying to make the point that "well, I can call Irish people 'whites' so why isn't THAT racist?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Okonner posted:

Yeah, clearly the person complaining still thinks calling people "black" gets people in trouble. They're trying to make the point that "well, I can call Irish people 'whites' so why isn't THAT racist?"

Most people's views on what is and isn't racist seems to be just a long, confused whine. A non-contradiction dressed up as a contradiction.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thankfully the military friend of mine who posted it called this guy a douche.

edit: oops phoneposting this didn't make me realize how large it was.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 26, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

seiferguy posted:

Assuming this is legit there is a 100% chance that this person never served a single combat tour.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Who What Now posted:

Assuming this is legit there is a 100% chance that this person never served a single combat tour.

Of course he did. He single-handedly saved the Octillion system from a horde of rampaging killbots.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Yeah that waitress should be honoured to be in the presence of THE Zap Brannigan!

My friend posted the following. The simplified thinking and logic with the OP and the the participants is mind-blowingly dumb. I gave him a few resources that he won't read/watch.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hamster_style posted:

My friend posted the following. The simplified thinking and logic with the OP and the the participants is mind-blowingly dumb. I gave him a few resources that he won't read/watch.

This is the exact same logic that has been ridiculed for over 120 years.

Peter Kropotkin, The Conquest of Bread, 18-loving-92 posted:

It is told of Rothschild that, seeing his fortune threatened by the Revolution of 1848, he hit upon the following stratagem: "I am quite willing to admit," said he, "that my fortune has been accumulated at the expense of others; but if it were divided to-morrow among the millions of Europe, the share of each would only amount to four shillings. Very well, then, I undertake to render to each his four shillings if he asks me for it."

Having given due publicity to his promise, our millionaire proceeded as usual to stroll quietly through the streets of Frankfort. Three or four passers-by asked for their four shillings, which he disbursed with a sardonic smile. His stratagem succeeded, and the family of the millionaire is still in possession of its wealth.

It is in much the same fashion that the shrewed heads among the middle classes reason when they say, "Ah, Expropriation! I know what that means. You take all the overcoats and lay them in a heap, and every one is free to help himself and fight for the best."

But such jests are irrelevant as well as flippant. What we want is not a redistribution of overcoats, although it must be said that even in such a case, the shivering folk would see advantage in it. Nor do we want to divide up the wealth of the Rothschilds. What we do want is so to arrange things that every human being born into the world shall be ensured the opportunity, in the first instance of learning some useful occupation, and of becoming skilled in it; and next, that he shall be free to work at his trade without asking leave of master or owner, and without handing over to landlord or capitalist the lion's share of what he produces.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Uh.... this has to be a joke because the Zapper is thankfully not real, though I do believe this is what he would have done.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

hamster_style posted:

Yeah that waitress should be honoured to be in the presence of THE Zap Brannigan!

I can almost hear the countdown to the "unskewed" numbers. I'm not going to go look them up right now because I like not beating my head into my desk, but there was a "study" (more of a meta-analysis) done recently where the numbers were "corrected for confounding variables", those variables including such minor trivialities as unpaid medical leave and career ends or voids caused by parenthood, to "prove" that the wage gap is only something like 5%, which they then handwaved as statistically insignificant.

I really hope that I'm wrong and that you don't get that "study" in response to your post, but this sinking feeling in my gut is telling me otherwise - or it's telling me to fix my lovely eating habits. Maybe both.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

"You want me on that wall, you need me on that wall!"

Yawgmoft posted:

Uh.... this has to be a joke because the Zapper is thankfully not real, though I do believe this is what he would have done.

Nonsense, I watched documentaries about him!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

seiferguy posted:

If Zap Brannigan sat at a table I waited, I'd be giving him a tip.

I do hope whoever did this left some cash on the table though, because it's otherwise a serious rear end in a top hat move for a stupid joke.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I do hope whoever did this left some cash on the table though, because it's otherwise a serious rear end in a top hat move for a stupid joke.

Even funnier would be if someone else had signed their receipt as Kip and paid enough tip for the both of them without comment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

no, from my long foodservice experience, people are very quick and ready to delude themselves into all sorts of idiot reasons as to why they don't need to leave a tip. it's worse when they try to explain it rather than be another lovely tipper with no excuse, like a child who comes up with absurd explanations as to why there is lipstick all over the dog

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Look, those warehouses of helmets and canteens aren't going to inventory themselves. You're welcome, Red Robin server!

Ahahaha is that the Prince Flag? That'll do. That'll do :geert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, from my long foodservice experience, people are very quick and ready to delude themselves into all sorts of idiot reasons as to why they don't need to leave a tip. it's worse when they try to explain it rather than be another lovely tipper with no excuse, like a child who comes up with absurd explanations as to why there is lipstick all over the dog

People certainly have no remorse about leaving a pile of assorted coins as a tip and laughing about it either.

Servers are sub human to some people.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

There's a bar around here that used to always have a couple of old Rhodies in it and they'd constantly make really racist jokes based around the premise that 'we're African-American too!'

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Part of the reason African-American is a dumb thing to say is because in America we tend to assume that every black person, ever is from Africa. Black people come from more places than just Africa. Then if you go far back enough everybody is from Africa.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
I knew I shouldn't have touched the poop. Continuation on gender wage gap.

"A woman should get maternity leave just because she's a woman!? I'm a man with kids why don't I get this benefit too."

So close... Well dipshit, if you stopped acting like these "greedy corporations" aren't all in it for the bottom line maybe you could enjoy the same benefits(not maternity leave obv, but being paid to take care of your sick child). I do like the pic he posted that goes against his point. Also how he misses that men are not paid more for their penises, but women less for the lack of one.

Does anyone have an answer other than "you're an idiot" or "it's not feasible" to the question: "well then why don't all companies just hire women since they're cheaper??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hamster_style posted:

Does anyone have an answer other than "you're an idiot" or "it's not feasible" to the question: "well then why don't all companies just hire women since they're cheaper??"

"because women are also widely regarded as less competent" if he agrees with that, you can bash on him